One of the main reasons for phentermine's enduring popularity is its cost. This weight loss medication is not cheap, but it remains the most affordable drug in its class and the most-commonly prescribed weight loss pill in America [1,2]. Still, for people on a tight budget, the fact that many insurance companies choose not to cover anti-obesity drugs like phentermine, or only cover them in specific cases, proves problematic. Thankfully, there are several ways to buy phentermine for less, even if insurance does not cover it.
It depends. Some insurance companies cover phentermine as a treatment for obesity, but most do not.
Experts estimate that about one third of insurance companies cover all FDA-approved weight loss medications, another third cover some drugs in some cases, while the remaining third do not cover any pharmaceutical therapy for obesity .
Medicaid and other government insurance programs do NOT cover phentermine or any other anti-obesity medication in most states .
Lack of insurance coverage for weight loss medications is related to three main factors:
Given the scarcity of insurance coverage for anti-obesity medications, it is wise to research insurance coverage before going-in for a weight loss consult.
If your insurance plan does not cover phentermine, it may be prudent for your doctor to prescribe a more affordable, generic pill instead of a brand name option like Adipex-P or Qsymia.
Without a prescription, a month’s worth of phentermine costs anywhere from $30 to $200+ depending on the medication’s brand, form and dosage. Generic pills are cheaper than brand name preparations, and tablets are often cheaper than capsules.
For example, the average cash price for generic phentermine 37.5 mg tablets is $32.35, while the average cash price for generic phentermine 37.5 mg capsules is about $36. Qsymia is the most expensive phentermine pill on the market, with an average cash price of $194-240 per month, depending on the dose [1,7]
Here are the average cash prices for different brands of phentermine, as well as generic 37.5mg tablets and capsules:
|Generic (37.5 mg)||Adipex-P||Qsymia|
Below is a phentermine price comparison between major pharmacies in the United States. These are the approximate prices for 30 pills using free, online discount cards from GoodRx, SingleCare and RxSaver. In many cases it is possible to save even money more by combining these coupons with store-specific loyalty programs or manufacturer coupons.
Please keep in mind that prescription medication prices vary significantly between pharmacies, in different cities and over time. The prices listed above are only estimates of monthly phentermine cost and do not represent any sort of coupon or price guarantee.
For exact pricing, contact your local pharmacy.
The cost of phentermine weight loss pills can prove cost-prohibitive for some patients, especially given the fact that is is not usually covered by insurance. Thankfully, free, online coupons can make this medicine more affordable if insurance does not cover weight loss pills.
Here are some of the top prescription discounts sites that offer a phentermine coupon:
Pharmaceutical companies also offer coupons for their products. Here are the links to access manufacturer coupons for some popular US brands of phentermine:
Doctors and weight loss clinics may also have additional resources to make prescription weight loss pills more affordable. Talk with your prescribing doctor if you are worried about how to pay for phentermine.
1. GoodRx. (2019, June). Phentermine Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips.
3. Andrews, M. (2015, January 06). Many Insurers Do Not Cover Drugs Approved To Help People Lose Weight.
4. Gomez, G., & Stanford, F. C. (2017). US health policy and prescription drug coverage of FDA-approved medications for the treatment of obesity. International Journal of Obesity, 42(3), 495-500. doi:10.1038/ijo.2017.287
5. Leblanc, E. S., Patnode, C. D., Webber, E. M., Redmond, N., Rushkin, M., & O’Connor, E. A. (2018). Behavioral and Pharmacotherapy Weight Loss Interventions to Prevent Obesity-Related Morbidity and Mortality in Adults. JAMA, 320(11), 1172. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.7777
7. GoodRx. (2019, June). Qsymia Prices, Coupons & Savings Tips.
8. SingleCare Administrators. (2019). Phentermine HCL.
9. SingleCare Administrators. (2019). Qsymia.
10. RetailMeNot. (2019). RxSaver by RetailMeNot - Prescription Coupons, Prices, Pharmacy Info & More.
11. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. (2019). Eligible Patients Receive Up to 25% OFF PER FILL FOR ADIPEX-P®*.
12. KVK Tech, Inc. (2019). LOMAIRA™ Money-Saving Offer.
13. VIVUS, Inc. (2019). Qsymia Advantage.