Lomaira 8mg is the smallest dose of phentermine available on the market. It is a low-dose, butterfly-shaped tablet that patients can take up to three times per day.
Lomaira was approved by the FDA in 2016 (
How It Works
Phentermine hydrochloride, the active ingredient in Lomaira, is a central nervous system stimulant.
It triggers a “fight or flight” type response (
Lomaira 8mg is designed for overweight or obese patients who have already tried losing weight with diet and exercise alone (
These tablets are an option for people with a body mass index (BMI) of:
- Over 30 kg/m2 (classification: obese)
- 27-30 kg/m2 (classification: overweight) + one or more weight-related condition
The FDA approval of Lomaira 8mg introduces several new phentermine dosing options for doctors and patients.
Most notably, Lomaira is the only phentermine pill that can be taken up to three times per day.
Moreover, unlike other low-dose phentermine products that are only sold as capsules, Lomaira is a scored tablet. This preparation allows patients to further reduce their dose to 4mg if they do not require or tolerate the full eight milligrams.
The table below compares a typical Lomaira dosing schedule to that of higher-dose phentermine pills:
|Lomaira (8mg)||15 – 18.75mg||30 – 37.5mg|
Benefits and Downsides
Smaller, split doses of Lomaira are beneficial for people who need more appetite suppression and energy later in the day, but cannot tolerate higher-dose extended release capsules.
Lomaira may be a good option for patients who:
- Struggle with afternoon or evening cravings
- Experience strong side effects with higher doses of phentermine
- Need a lower dose of phentermine due to other health issues
- Prefer to take smaller doses of the stimulant throughout the day instead of one large dose in the morning
This low-dose pill can also be used as a way to gradually decrease dosage as patients come to the end of their prescription, especially if there is concern about phentermine withdrawal.
Lomaira may NOT be a good option for patients who:
- Need a high-dose pill (i.e. 30mg or 37.5mg) to reap the medication’s effects
- Struggle with stimulant-related insomnia
- Have difficulty finding time or remembering to take the three pills
- Want the most economic weight loss option
Dozens of user-submitted Lomaira reviews further illustrate these points.
Lomaira Side Effects
Lomaira is designed to suppress appetite and boost energy, but these weight loss pills can also cause a range of unwanted reactions. The most common phentermine side effects are dry mouth, insomnia and constipation (
Many patients’ side effects are effectively managed at home but, in rare cases, this medication may also cause serious heart and lung problems.
How Much Does Lomaira Cost?
The price of Lomaira varies slightly from pharmacy to pharmacy, but it costs an average of $54 per month for a 90-tablet supply (
This relatively-high monthly cost is one reason that some patients prefer to take a generic tablet and split it, or use generic phentermine 15mg capsules.
Thankfully, in response to this concern, KVK Tech launched their Lo-Cost Access Program. Using the free savings card, patients that pay for their prescription out-of-pocket are only charged 50¢ per tablet, or no more than $45 per month.
Lomaira is produced and marketed by KVK Tech, Inc.
Founded in 2004, this pharmaceutical company is a self-proclaimed leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing medications to meet unmet patient needs. Lomaira tablets, like all of their other products, are proudly made in America “in the strictest accordance with FDA, DEA, and DEP guidelines” (
KVK TECH, Inc.
110 Terry Drive, Suite 200
Newtown, PA 18940
United States of America
+1 (215) 579-1842
- KVK Tech, Inc. (2018). Why wait to lose weight?
- DrugBank. (2019). Phentermine.
- LOMAIRA™ (phentermine hydrochloride USP) tablets, CIV. (2016). LOMAIRA™ (phentermine hydrochloride USP) tablets, CIV.
- Members of “Losing Weight with Phentermine” Support Group on Facebook & Phentermine.com Forum. (2019, March 13). [User Report of Common Phentermine Side Effects]. Unpublished raw data.
- WebMD. (2019). Phentermine Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing.
- CardioSmart: American College of Cardiology. (2011, November 21). Phentermine.
- GoodRx. (2019, July). Lomaira Prices, Coupons & Savings.
- KVK Tech, Inc. (2019). Specialty Brands and Generics.