Newbie in need of advice
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carrie Biggs

Thread: Newbie in need of advice

Bronze Phenster

Quote Originally Posted by sarah270 View Post
    That's a big difference though from the extreme huger you were experiencing before - that's great! I hope this month is better too and that the 37.5 keeps working for you
    I really hope so too. When I start the topiramate next week, hopefully it'll be more effective. I did see a number on the scale this morning I haven't seen since before I started fertility treatments back in May, so maybe now I can finally get somewhere.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoAg View Post
    I think you should not let others success or lies, whichever is the case, affect your weight loss journey. Don´t focus in other thing, but you. Keep eating healthy and if you can do some exercise way better. Also start to count your calories.
    I wish i could stop comparing myself to others but unfortunately thats a lifelong habit. I should just move onto a deserted island with no means of communication. That might stop me. As I mentioned before, this was a last resort for weight loss. I already count my calories and follow the weight watchers plan. I exercise at least 4 times a week most weeks. I've been seeing a nutritionist for over a year. That's how I lost 60 pounds but hit a rock over the summer when I went on fertility medications which have had me plateaued ever since regardless of what I do. The phen is meant to get me back on the right track, and hopefully it works this month. This morning I was happy see a number on the scale I haven't seen since before the fertility treatments. I'm only about 1/2 pound more than I was the day I took the first dose of fertility treatment, so hopefully by the start of next week I can at least be back to where I was.

Phen Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Biggs View Post
    Yes, I started taking it yesterday. I didn't pick it up until yesterday evening but took one then because I had to work an overnight shift. I didn't notice much difference other than I made it til 6 AM without getting into my lunchbox and all I ate was 1 banana. Typically I would have eaten half of what was in there at 4 AM and the other half after I left. I just hope this month is better altogether.

I wish people would specify that then if they lost nothing on their own first. It creates a false sense of hope for others who used this as a last resort. All the success stories made me feel like a failure and that the medication was failing me, and I joined the Facebook phen group and instead of feeling supported, I just became angrier by all the people bragging about how much they lost in 1 month. I got kicked out, probably because I was letting that anger show.
    I think you should not let others success or lies, whichever is the case, affect your weight loss journey. Don´t focus in other thing, but you. Keep eating healthy and if you can do some exercise way better. Also start to count your calories.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

That's a big difference though from the extreme huger you were experiencing before - that's great! I hope this month is better too and that the 37.5 keeps working for you

Yes, I started taking it yesterday. I didn't pick it up until yesterday evening but took one then because I had to work an overnight shift. I didn't notice much difference other than I made it til 6 AM without getting into my lunchbox and all I ate was 1 banana. Typically I would have eaten half of what was in there at 4 AM and the other half after I left. I just hope this month is better altogether.

I wish people would specify that then if they lost nothing on their own first. It creates a false sense of hope for others who used this as a last resort. All the success stories made me feel like a failure and that the medication was failing me, and I joined the Facebook phen group and instead of feeling supported, I just became angrier by all the people bragging about how much they lost in 1 month. I got kicked out, probably because I was letting that anger show.

Bronze Phenster

That sounds like you had a really productive appointment! I'm so happy to hear

In my opinion, it seems more like "starting over" if she increased your dose so significantly and added topiramate. I think it's definitely possible that you'll lose more than 5 pounds in the second month! The topiramate should help with cravings, and hopefully the higher dose of phentermine proves a little more effective at suppressing your hunger. I hope the new brand of antidepressants treats you well too.

And yes, that's definitely the case with weight loss sometimes. A lot of the people that experience really dramatic weight loss in the first month didn't diet/lose much weight prior to taking phentermine, which is why they can drop weight so quickly at the beginning. It just depends on the person.

Have you already started taking the 37.5?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

That sounds like you had a really productive appointment! I'm so happy to hear

In my opinion, it seems more like "starting over" if she increased your dose so significantly and added topiramate. I think it's definitely possible that you'll lose more than 5 pounds in the second month! The topiramate should help with cravings, and hopefully the higher dose of phentermine proves a little more effective at suppressing your hunger. I hope the new brand of antidepressants treats you well too.

And yes, that's definitely the case with weight loss sometimes. A lot of the people that experience really dramatic weight loss in the first month didn't diet/lose much weight prior to taking phentermine, which is why they can drop weight so quickly at the beginning. It just depends on the person.

Have you already started taking the 37.5?

Hey, Sarah. It went alright I guess. . . I saw the nurse practitioner instead of my regular dr., but I prefer the nurse practitioner . . . Anyway, I couldn't go til today. My final weight for the month was only down 4.7 from my initial appointment. I gained back part of what I lost simply because it wasn't working and I was too depressed, angry, and hungry to care. I told her how much I can't stand the phentermine and what a disappointment it was, but all she did was increase the dose to 37.5 and put me on topiramite. I'm not supposed to start the topiramite for another week though just because she threw 4 new medications at me and wants me to start a new one each week, and seeing the amount of problems I'm having with my back, she wanted to start me on something for that this week. But I also needed to start an antidepressant again because my head has been messed up since I was taking the fertility treatments. I was on antidepressants before and if I remember right, I gained 10 pounds within the first 2 months I was on them so I hope this one doesn't increase my appetite (not sure if that's even possible anymore--I'm always hungry), but I've never been on this brand before so I don't know what to expect. I also asked for spironolactone because I know it can reduce androgen levels and help with my facial hair problem that I'm sick of dealing with, but the nurse practitioner told me that it's also a diuretic, so maybe that will help with weight loss too. I don't know.

No where that I've looked has really answered this question, and the nurse practitioner didn't give me much of an answer either, but my concern is, if my final weight loss for month 1 was only 4.7, and month 1 is supposed to be the "most successful" month, won't the month 2 weight loss be even less than that, or is it like starting over if I'm on another dose? Also, could it be that I'm not having any luck with this because I lost about 60 pounds on my own? For the people who lost 15+ their first month especially, did they not lose much weight before phen and that's why they lost so much? I know when I first started losing weight on my own, my first 15 pounds came off with me only making a few minor changes, so I started wondering if that was why other people were seeing much better results. I know my current weight is what I weighed in high school, and anything I lose from this point on, I'd be seeing weights I haven't seen since elementary/middle school, so I don't know if that's playing a role in this too or not. It's just frustrating reading all the "first month success stories" when my first month was terrible. I'd rather see other people who have struggled so I don't feel like such a failure. That gives me more hope than "Look at me! I lost 30 pounds in 30 days!" I also got thrown out of the facebook phen support group after only being in it for 3 days because I wouldn't stop complaining about the pill. . . So much for getting support . . .

Bronze Phenster

Hi Carrie How'd your appointment go?
    Hey, Sarah. It went alright I guess. . . I saw the nurse practitioner instead of my regular dr., but I prefer the nurse practitioner . . . Anyway, I couldn't go til today. My final weight for the month was only down 4.7 from my initial appointment. I gained back part of what I lost simply because it wasn't working and I was too depressed, angry, and hungry to care. I told her how much I can't stand the phentermine and what a disappointment it was, but all she did was increase the dose to 37.5 and put me on topiramite. I'm not supposed to start the topiramite for another week though just because she threw 4 new medications at me and wants me to start a new one each week, and seeing the amount of problems I'm having with my back, she wanted to start me on something for that this week. But I also needed to start an antidepressant again because my head has been messed up since I was taking the fertility treatments. I was on antidepressants before and if I remember right, I gained 10 pounds within the first 2 months I was on them so I hope this one doesn't increase my appetite (not sure if that's even possible anymore--I'm always hungry), but I've never been on this brand before so I don't know what to expect. I also asked for spironolactone because I know it can reduce androgen levels and help with my facial hair problem that I'm sick of dealing with, but the nurse practitioner told me that it's also a diuretic, so maybe that will help with weight loss too. I don't know.

No where that I've looked has really answered this question, and the nurse practitioner didn't give me much of an answer either, but my concern is, if my final weight loss for month 1 was only 4.7, and month 1 is supposed to be the "most successful" month, won't the month 2 weight loss be even less than that, or is it like starting over if I'm on another dose? Also, could it be that I'm not having any luck with this because I lost about 60 pounds on my own? For the people who lost 15+ their first month especially, did they not lose much weight before phen and that's why they lost so much? I know when I first started losing weight on my own, my first 15 pounds came off with me only making a few minor changes, so I started wondering if that was why other people were seeing much better results. I know my current weight is what I weighed in high school, and anything I lose from this point on, I'd be seeing weights I haven't seen since elementary/middle school, so I don't know if that's playing a role in this too or not. It's just frustrating reading all the "first month success stories" when my first month was terrible. I'd rather see other people who have struggled so I don't feel like such a failure. That gives me more hope than "Look at me! I lost 30 pounds in 30 days!" I also got thrown out of the facebook phen support group after only being in it for 3 days because I wouldn't stop complaining about the pill. . . So much for getting support . . .

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Update: my apptmnt is tomorrow and I had enough left to try a double dose today. I took one an hour after breakfast and 1 after lunch. It worked until about an hour ago and now all I can think about is how hungry I am and I'm about to cry from not letting myself eat. Mind you, I had around 1500 calories today . . . Is this a problem with me or these pills? I'm wanting to tell my doctor to forget it and give me something my insurance will actually cover.
    Hi Carrie How'd your appointment go?

Bronze Phenster

Update: my apptmnt is tomorrow and I had enough left to try a double dose today. I took one an hour after breakfast and 1 after lunch. It worked until about an hour ago and now all I can think about is how hungry I am and I'm about to cry from not letting myself eat. Mind you, I had around 1500 calories today . . . Is this a problem with me or these pills? I'm wanting to tell my doctor to forget it and give me something my insurance will actually cover.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Of course. What you're going through sounds incredibly frustrating and hard. I hope your doctor can work with you to find a medication & dose that really helps you so that you conquer your appetite/weight and do IVF. Sending lots of good wishes and positive vibes your way <3 <3

I just wanted to add thanks for the recommendations you guys have given me. I'm just at a point of feeling very frustrated and bitter toward the pill and myself right now. I get angry every time I eat something I shouldn't be and feel the pill isn't doing it's job (which it isn't) but also because I should be able to do better with or without medication . . . I keep pushing myself to lose weight as it's the only thing standing in the way of my ivf, but I keep sabotaging it because I can't control my apitite, and that just makes me more depressed so the cycle continues.

Phen Newbie

I just wanted to add thanks for the recommendations you guys have given me. I'm just at a point of feeling very frustrated and bitter toward the pill and myself right now. I get angry every time I eat something I shouldn't be and feel the pill isn't doing it's job (which it isn't) but also because I should be able to do better with or without medication . . . I keep pushing myself to lose weight as it's the only thing standing in the way of my ivf, but I keep sabotaging it because I can't control my apitite, and that just makes me more depressed so the cycle continues.
    Hi Carrie have you talked to your doctor about this? he might increase your dose to 30 or 37.5 mg. I believe in you. Please don´t blame yourself just because you eat something you shouldn´t, if it happened just try to start over the next day Try to drink water, count your calories and even carbs. Hope this helps you

Bronze Phenster

Bronze Phenster

Yeah, everyone's different, but for me it's usually just a couple days around my period when my weight fluctuates - not a week and a half haha. I'd be surprised if it was the exercise either since that usually helps you burn calories, digest, reduce bloating, etc.

Are you drinking plenty of water? Water helps you feel full and less interested in snacking. Also, if nighttime snacking is your weakness, you may like this article with some ideas for healthy snacks before bed.

It's good your appointment is coming up soon - I hope your doctor can help you out!! I just thought about it... If you struggle with nighttime snacking, you may also want to talk to her about the possibility of splitting your dose (so that you take some in the early morning and some in the early afternoon), depending on how you're doing with sleep.
    I have pcos. My periods are regular, but I can tell it's coming over a week before it starts because my mood changes and I start getting pimples, so I wouldn't be surprises if it changes my weight that soon too.

The medicine causes my mouth to dry out so I usually drink more water than I used to. Water doesn't change my apitite though, no matter how much I drink.

It's not just night snacking--its more like night binging. I struggle with severe depression that causes me to lose my mind almost every night and eating is how I cope. I had one episode my first week on phentermine and it prevented me from relying on food, but now it has totally lost all of it's effectiveness. I was also told to take it an hour after lunch to prevent the night binges. It worked in the beginning but now it's not doing anything besides making me aggravated that it's not working.
    Last edited by Carrie Biggs; October 10th, 2018 at 04:15 PM.

Bronze Phenster

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle78 View Post
    Hi Carrie! I know that frustration. I think you should speak to your doctor about the possibility to higher your dosage to 30 mg. Also please remember every body is different maybe your body just need more time to lose weight or its in a plateau and for that I recommend you to start watching your calories and even carbs.
    I do count calories. I can't stop plateauing and that's why I was put on this, but it's not getting me over it really at all. I'm just upset I had to pay $50 for something that's not working . . . It's no longer touching my apitite at all.

Phen Newbie

Hello. My doctor just put me on phentermine 15 mg 3 weeks ago. The first week it worked great. I lost almost 6 pounds. But, then, after that first week, my appetite returned, and I'm struggling with wanting to binge in the evenings again due to my depression, whereas the first week and a half this problem had gone away. Even when I don't binge, I either gain weight or maintain. My insurance didn't cover this so I had to pay for it out of pocket, and I'm extremely upset because I don't have that kind of money to spend on something that isn't working. I also have PCOS and my doctor put me on this because my weight loss has been stagnant for the last 3 months. I'm also doing weight watchers. I was doing a lot of exercise but had to lay off the exercise recently due to problems with my back, but I still do what I can when I'm not in pain.

So, even though, for the most part I'm doing what I should be doing, why is this not working? If the first month is supposed to be the best month on this, does this mean future months it won't be effective at all?

Thanks,
    Carrie
    Hi Carrie! I know that frustration. I think you should speak to your doctor about the possibility to higher your dosage to 30 mg. Also please remember every body is different maybe your body just need more time to lose weight or its in a plateau and for that I recommend you to start watching your calories and even carbs.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yeah, everyone's different, but for me it's usually just a couple days around my period when my weight fluctuates - not a week and a half haha. I'd be surprised if it was the exercise either since that usually helps you burn calories, digest, reduce bloating, etc.

Are you drinking plenty of water? Water helps you feel full and less interested in snacking. Also, if nighttime snacking is your weakness, you may like this article with some ideas for healthy snacks before bed.

It's good your appointment is coming up soon - I hope your doctor can help you out!! I just thought about it... If you struggle with nighttime snacking, you may also want to talk to her about the possibility of splitting your dose (so that you take some in the early morning and some in the early afternoon), depending on how you're doing with sleep.

I wondered if starting somewhat regular exercise during week 2 caused part of the problem, but when I stopped that for a few days I still gained. Aunt flow is also due between now and the end of the week, but I didn't know if I'd gain weight from that for a week and a half.

I have to see my doctor once a month while I'm on it and next week is my appointment. Once she sees that it's not working I hope she'll increase the dose.

Bronze Phenster

Hi Carrie 6 pounds in the first week is awesome, but yeah - it's definitely frustrating that it's stalled since then, especially with all of the hard work you're doing with weight watchers!

Do you think your doctor would consider increasing your dose? I don't know about your preferences/medical history/etc, but if a low dose of phen worked well at first and now isn't seeming to do much, it may be helpful to up your dose a little. Don't change your dose without talking to your doctor first, but I think increasing your dose is something worth bringing up to your doctor to see what he/she thinks
    I wondered if starting somewhat regular exercise during week 2 caused part of the problem, but when I stopped that for a few days I still gained. Aunt flow is also due between now and the end of the week, but I didn't know if I'd gain weight from that for a week and a half.

I have to see my doctor once a month while I'm on it and next week is my appointment. Once she sees that it's not working I hope she'll increase the dose.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Carrie 6 pounds in the first week is awesome, but yeah - it's definitely frustrating that it's stalled since then, especially with all of the hard work you're doing with weight watchers!

Do you think your doctor would consider increasing your dose? I don't know about your preferences/medical history/etc, but if a low dose of phen worked well at first and now isn't seeming to do much, it may be helpful to up your dose a little. Don't change your dose without talking to your doctor first, but I think increasing your dose is something worth bringing up to your doctor to see what he/she thinks

Hello. My doctor just put me on phentermine 15 mg 3 weeks ago. The first week it worked great. I lost almost 6 pounds. But, then, after that first week, my appetite returned, and I'm struggling with wanting to binge in the evenings again due to my depression, whereas the first week and a half this problem had gone away. Even when I don't binge, I either gain weight or maintain. My insurance didn't cover this so I had to pay for it out of pocket, and I'm extremely upset because I don't have that kind of money to spend on something that isn't working. I also have PCOS and my doctor put me on this because my weight loss has been stagnant for the last 3 months. I'm also doing weight watchers. I was doing a lot of exercise but had to lay off the exercise recently due to problems with my back, but I still do what I can when I'm not in pain.

So, even though, for the most part I'm doing what I should be doing, why is this not working? If the first month is supposed to be the best month on this, does this mean future months it won't be effective at all?

Thanks,
    Carrie

Bronze Phenster

Default Newbie in need of advice

Thanks,
    Carrie
    Michelle78 likes this.