The Myth of Moderate Exercise - Interesting Read
    Photos
    View albums

The article was interesting but there were LOTS of things missing from it.

They do not mention the intensity of the workouts being done. a half an hour at a high intensity vs. an hour at a fairly low intensity could equal about the same amount of calories. This is why I'm always pushing the heart rate monitors. I can't tell you how many people I see at the gym who are on machines but are NOT WORKING OUT! They are just moving, if you can carry on a full conversation and are not breaking a sweat, you're not trying hard enough. Honestly, I could ride my bike every day for an hour and sight see, and go about 4 to 5 miles an hour, pedal pedal coast, pedal, pedal, coast... but instead I'm averaging about 14 miles an hour? The difference in calories burned is HUGE.

I can guarantee you that if I did two 15 minute high intensity workouts a day I'd burn more calories than one 30 minute moderate workout. The study even says that they couldn't get the women to do high intensity workouts. Also, if these women were supposed to do most of their exercise on just a treadmill for a year... yeah, guess what? unless you are constantly increasing your speed, the incline, etc, your body is going to get really used to that activity and you will need to workout for at least an hour.

I think for maintenance not weight loss, but maintenance if people were honest and truly exercised 30 minutes most days they could maintain. This article in my mind does nothing to refute that.
    41 down 36 to go!

5/12/08 - 232.5 - Started Phen/lexapro combo
    5/29/08 - 218 -14.5 pounds in 2 weeks
    6/12/08 - 209.5 -8.5 for a total of 23 pounds in the first month!
    7/10/08 - 200 -9.5
    8/07/08 -192 -8
    9/18/08 - 185.5 -6.5
    12/8/08-191 +5.5

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

i wonder if you can still break it up though, like 30 min in the am and 30 min in the evening?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by cruisegirl1023 View Post
    The key is getting and keeping your heartrate up... I would check your pulse every so often and make sure you are in your target zone, and if so, keep doing it!! I would imagine if you are sweating like that, you probably are!! I probably don't burn as much on my gazelle as other activities, but the thing is, I like it, and I enjoy it so I'll stick with it, and that is the important thing to me!!!
    Thx for the info. Im going to know google and write down how to do my target heart rate. Iv always been horrible w/that. Anything to do w/math and I shut down lol

Platinum Phenster cruisegirl1023's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by aconn View Post
    I just don't know if I totally agree with the article. I walk 30 to 40 minutes 5 or 6 times a week followed by 20 minutes on my stationary bike. It makes me feel better mentially too....it's a sense of acomplishment and I think thats whats missing in the article. In my opinion that is an important part. Now I am not sure if it would help me lose with out changing the way I eat...probably not, but it still doing something good for your body whether it's 15 minutes or 40. If it makes you feel good you are more likely to keep doing it.
    Right... it is good for your well being, and good for your heart, but I think the point was, good for weight loss? Not so much unless you are doing more than an hour a day. I agree that every little bit helps for just plain feeling good, 15 minutes on the treadmill, or 45 minutes cleaning the house, isn't going to do much for weight loss. But it does make one feel better... and I agree, that is important.

Many people have been told that 30 minutes 3-4 times a week is sufficient... that is why Curves became so popular. Yeah, I tried it for a few months... and I would ask every woman in there how long they had been doing it, I couldn't believe how many had been there over a year, but when asked how much weight they had lost, hardly ANY of them said more than 5-10 lbs. It's just not enough to produce results like most of us want. I never broke a sweat in that place, and I just didn't keep my heartrate up long enough to burn any amount of fat. I think sadly, too many women have been led to believe that a small amount is all that is needed, and then wonder why it isn't working... I'm glad this article is uncovering the truth... we have to work long and hard to get anywhere with weight loss.
    ~2/13/08-7/24/08- Lost 17 lbs on my own
    ~7/25/08- Started Phen and lipo shots -196 lbs
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/21/08- 179.3 lbs (16.7 first month)
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs
    ~12/4/08- 173 lbs... doomed to always be 173

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default article

I just don't know if I totally agree with the article. I walk 30 to 40 minutes 5 or 6 times a week followed by 20 minutes on my stationary bike. It makes me feel better mentially too....it's a sense of acomplishment and I think thats whats missing in the article. In my opinion that is an important part. Now I am not sure if it would help me lose with out changing the way I eat...probably not, but it still doing something good for your body whether it's 15 minutes or 40. If it makes you feel good you are more likely to keep doing it.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by socialite View Post
    Sometimes I like to dance to fast paced music videos for an hour. Do you all think this is still burning enuf calories for my workout session? I know I end up soaking wet when finished.
    The key is getting and keeping your heartrate up... I would check your pulse every so often and make sure you are in your target zone, and if so, keep doing it!! I would imagine if you are sweating like that, you probably are!! I probably don't burn as much on my gazelle as other activities, but the thing is, I like it, and I enjoy it so I'll stick with it, and that is the important thing to me!!!
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Sometimes I like to dance to fast paced music videos for an hour. Do you all think this is still burning enuf calories for my workout session? I know I end up soaking wet when finished.

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I've always thought this ... not too long ago a poster asked if she worked in her yard that day, did it count - so many people said the every little bit helps - but I seemed to go against the grain with my input.
    And way back when I started ... I posted this exact same question, because I just could see how it was beneficial.
    My point was, there are even stats out there that will give you a "Calories Burned for watching TV" and it's like yeahhh big whoop.

Anyway - I'm glad you posted the article - I'm sure it enlighted a lot people to a different perspective.
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Photos
    View albums

Iv always thot just like that study showed. The 30-45 min a few days a week is just to keep ur body active, it really isnt enuf to loose (a lot) of weight. I know sometimes I feel good doing a good 30 min cardio workout bc I know I wasnt just sitting on the couch, but I have pushed it up to an hour minimum 4 days a week.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by WEDDING BELLS View Post
    WHAT KIND OF WORKOUTS DO YOU GIRLS USE? I'M VERY NEW AT THIS AND IN THE LAST YEAR W/O PHEN MY REGULAR CARDIO/WEIGHT TRAINING REALLY DIDN'T HELP MUCH. JUST WONDERING WHAT EVERYONE FINDS THE MOST EFFECTIVE THANKS.

I don't use just one. I vary it so I won't get bored. I generally do about an hour on the gazelle every day (either morning or evening) and then I also do a workout on exercise on demand like Illian Michaels, TaeBo, WAWTP, etc. or Turbo Jam/Sculpt. For my strength training I use the Turbo Sculpt or Jillian's 30 Day Shred. It's too hot to walk outside, plus we have had a rash of joggers being attacked, so I am trying to do things that are fun and different.
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs

Photos
    View albums

WHAT KIND OF WORKOUTS DO YOU GIRLS USE? I'M VERY NEW AT THIS AND IN THE LAST YEAR W/O PHEN MY REGULAR CARDIO/WEIGHT TRAINING REALLY DIDN'T HELP MUCH. JUST WONDERING WHAT EVERYONE FINDS THE MOST EFFECTIVE THANKS.

Photos
    View albums

I still think it is simply calories in-calories out...hopefully

Photos
    View albums

Ugh! Guess I'll have to increase my daily walking and higher carido too! Thanks for the info!
    What I want for Xmas is... an Onederland!!!

almost!!!

Photos
    View albums

I've been told this too... that while every little bit helps for cardio and general health, it's not going to go a long way for weight loss. My doctor said at least 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week to start, but to aim for at least an hour.
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Well, I have noticed that the past month or so that I slacked off from exercising, my weight either went up or didn't budge, but since I've started back working out, the numbers have started dropping again. I know that I am one of those women who will have to work hard for the rest of my life to keep a healthy or even decent weight. If I let myself slip for the least amount of time, all my hard work goes down the drain and the weight piles back on. I just have to change my frame of mind from a couch potato to a health nut.

Photos
    View albums

The article makes sense to me and it did say biology had a lot to do with it and each of us has different target spots or something like that. This explains to me why I see women who exercise a lot and diet properly still look heavy. Not all of us are made to be itty bitty regardless what we do. Being fit is important regardless of the size.

Photos
    View albums

I have always felt this way. Which is why on the days that I do not workout, I tend to overeat. Some in my mind tells me my day has already been wasted. I am trying hard to fight this belief but it is a struggle. I know that more than half of the battle is eating well, so I try to make that my focus everyday. With four kids, working out 5-6 days a week is a goal that is not easily achieved.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can! ~Arthur Ashe

Photos
    View albums

Are you kidding me? What happened to "every little bit counts"?!?!?! I personally think it's not an exact science.....it's unique to each individual. Let's not let this frustrate us.

Photos
    View albums

Default The Myth of Moderate Exercise - Interesting Read

I ran across this article at work this morning and the information in it kind of shocked me. I will have to sweat my arse off at least an hour everyday for the rest of my life to keep this friggin weight off. Grrr!! Anyhow, y'all read it and see what you think.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...0.html?cnn=yes