new here, questions...help not working :(
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Photos
    View albums

Thumbs up not working

I feel your pain. I took EFFEXOR XR for 4 years and put on 35 pounds. Not from being lazy either or from eating everything in sight. No matter what I did it wouldn't budge. I tried walking, running, etc. I had to curb my weights workout because I just got thick and stayed there. Anyways, all though docs won't admit it. Antidepressants make you gain weight. It seems like my body chemistry changed too. I have yet to lose any weight on the phen/b12 combo. I am really discouraged. They are wrong to have put you on a liquid diet. How are you supposed to LIVE on liquids? Anyways, try hi-proteins like a 3 egg white to a yolk combo for breakfast with some local wheat toast. They usually suggest hi protein and low carbs (like regular oatmeal and mixed with fruit for breakfast) lunch a salad made of tuna, low cal mayo and wheat toast with fruit for lunch. Prehaps this will help you. If you like I have a plan the weight loss clinic docs have for us there. I have yet to lose any, but I think it's because of the effexor left over in my system from last month. God Bless.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Lady Shazerz,

I definitely wasn't trying to say you gave bad advice! we all need to share what we've experienced, good or bad. I was more just trying to point out, that there were a lot of holes in the info being given about why this person was put on a liquid diet. I most definitely was not disrespecting your opinion!
    41 down 36 to go!

5/12/08 - 232.5 - Started Phen/lexapro combo
    5/29/08 - 218 -14.5 pounds in 2 weeks
    6/12/08 - 209.5 -8.5 for a total of 23 pounds in the first month!
    7/10/08 - 200 -9.5
    8/07/08 -192 -8
    9/18/08 - 185.5 -6.5
    12/8/08-191 +5.5

Platinum Phenster cruisegirl1023's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Shazerz View Post
    If she's going to a bariatric Dr shouldn't he have been more forthcoming on the reasons for the liquid diet? I guess I should have asked the same questions that someone else asked about the reasons for it. Did you request lap band or gastric bypass? And I had never thought that maybe this was a precursor to making the phen work better. Perhaps you should stop any medication until you talk more with your Dr.

Perhaps I am just upset because I was put on a liquid diet once and it made me super ill. I apologize for my vent. I jumped because of my experience. I hope that your experience is better as some of these other ladies have had.
    I agree with you that a bariatric doctor should be forthcoming, and for all we know, he/she was. I mean no offense with this, but there is something missing from the details. TWO doctors, including 1 whose sole job is to assist people in losing weight and getting healthy, have advised against Phen. Liquid diet isn't generally the first thing prescribed. If it was just one doctor advising against it, that would be one thing, but there are 2. There could be something in her history, bloodwork, EKG, etc that caused them concern. For me, my nutritionist and I worked on many "trials" and found that I had to go down to almost 800 calories to lose weight, which was extremely unhealthy... for me, it was much healthier to go on a liquid diet, where I could consume more calories and lose weight. Now that I have lost some weight, it is getting a little easier, my metabolism is finally coming alive. I was so happy and content on that diet that I really didn't want to stop, my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc all came into a very normal and healthy range, my skin and hair looked great, etc. I had a very good experience... I know some people don't, and I would feel the same way as you had I experienced what you did!!!
    ~2/13/08-7/24/08- Lost 17 lbs on my own
    ~7/25/08- Started Phen and lipo shots -196 lbs
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/21/08- 179.3 lbs (16.7 first month)
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs
    ~12/4/08- 173 lbs... doomed to always be 173

Photos
    View albums

If she's going to a bariatric Dr shouldn't he have been more forthcoming on the reasons for the liquid diet? I guess I should have asked the same questions that someone else asked about the reasons for it. Did you request lap band or gastric bypass? And I had never thought that maybe this was a precursor to making the phen work better. Perhaps you should stop any medication until you talk more with your Dr.

Perhaps I am just upset because I was put on a liquid diet once and it made me super ill. I apologize for my vent. I jumped because of my experience. I hope that your experience is better as some of these other ladies have had.
    Wearing these white jeans today...12/28/09..but man are they TIGHT!!

Photos
    View albums

I agree with LWin08 on the energy thing. I took Phen years ago, several kinds and doses and NEVER had this kind of energy. This is the first time I am taking it with the B12/lipotropic shot and I swear I have never had so much energy. I have taken a B complex for years and had fairly good energy on it, but nothing like with this shot. So maybe rather than getting hung up on Phen, find a clinic that does the shots? Good luck!
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs

Photos
    View albums

I agree with the others who have stated that the doc u are going to sounds like a bariatrician. When my mom had wls last dec. the doctor put her on a liquid diet twice, the last time being b4 surgery. Anyways, I understand that you are frustrated . Believe me, we've all been there. But there has to be some way that u can find a doctor that will prescribe it for you. As for the energy thing, from what I hear, phen doesnt give anyone energy. Taking a vitamin like b-12 will however provide u with extra energy. I hope things work out for you, let us know how things go with ur new doc. Good luck
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3

Starting over again!!!!

Photos
    View albums

a few questions:
    1. Did you ask the doctor why he prescribed the liquid diet vs. the phen? If so, what was his answer?
    2. Did you ask the doctor if you do well on the liquid diet will he add the phen to the mix? If so, what was his answer?
    3. Did you ask the doctor what he liked about the liquid diet?

We all need to take responsibility for our healthcare. I'm constantly telling my sisters this. Yes, the doctor that hung up on you should not have, but you have a second doctor that you let put you on a liquid diet. It doesn't sound like you were very pro-active with your questions when he put you on it.

Actually, I know a lot of people here say liquid diets are dangerous but they are actually the first thing that severely overweight people are usually put on before going in for lap band or gastric surgery and they are VERY effective. Perhaps he wants to get your weight down on the liquid diet for a few weeks and shrink your stomach to curb your cravings so that the phen can be more effective.

My doc told me that his average patient loses about 37.5 pounds. Some lose more, others less, but because I had approx. 80 pounds I wanted to lose, he let me know that the phen may not be able to do that for me, and asked if i'd considered surgery as it would be much easier to get surgery approved now vs. after I lose "some" of the weight.

The bottom line with all of this is: take accountability for your healthcare, and ask your doctor "why why why" until it makes sense! And don't go on anything they tell you until it does.

As for your pills not giving you energy, for the first week I was on phen I was drowsy.
    41 down 36 to go!

5/12/08 - 232.5 - Started Phen/lexapro combo
    5/29/08 - 218 -14.5 pounds in 2 weeks
    6/12/08 - 209.5 -8.5 for a total of 23 pounds in the first month!
    7/10/08 - 200 -9.5
    8/07/08 -192 -8
    9/18/08 - 185.5 -6.5
    12/8/08-191 +5.5

Photos
    View albums

Many bariatric doctors recommend liquid diets as a last resort before surgery, and many gastric bypass patients go on a LD to get down to a safe weight prior to surgery. The ones bariatric doctors use are safe and nutritionally sound... they consist of shakes, soups, puddings and snacks that have approx 15g of protein each, 110 calories each, and low carb, they also include vitamins and minerals and are low sodium. Also, unless you are severely obese, the plans call for 6 shakes per day (approx), 1 snack and 1 meal consisting of 8oz of protein and 2 cups of vegetables. I agree that fad liquid diets are dangerous, but medically supervised liquid diets have saved many people from surgery, and allowed many people to lose weight when they otherwise couldn't. As long as you are being closely monitored and following the program, they are perfectly safe. I know many on my old support site that lost over 300 lbs and avoided surgery, and saved their lives. The "master cleanse" and diets such as that, I agree, they aren't safe and far from nutritionally sound... but the ones bariatric clinics use are pretty safe when done correctly. I still use my shakes and puddings as meal replacements when I don't have much of an appetite... I'm lucky that I was on a program and the shakes were actually good!!!
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs

Photos
    View albums

It sounds to me like this Dr has a deal with the 'liquid' diet program he's got you on. Liquid diets ARE NOT GOOD for you!! No wonder you are hungry and tired. Your body is crashing. Find a better Doctor. My Dr is a Bariatric doc. Not that I want lapband but phen is the first step then if that doesn't work, they suggest surgery. I can't believe a DR is suggesting a liquid diet. He should be shot!!

I don't get the energy from the Phen but I do feel a little racey if I take it with coffee. Not energy racey but mind racing racey.

I suggest finding a new Dr and EAT a diet low in carbs, high in protein, less than 1200 calories and stop with the liquid $h!t. Sorry, to be so blunt but this kinda p!$$e$ me off!! I want to smack your Dr.
    Wearing these white jeans today...12/28/09..but man are they TIGHT!!

Photos
    View albums

The calories burned=EVERY activity you do in a day. You don't have to burn that much, it's what is set for your weight and height. It will go down with every pound you lose.

Phen is not a miracle pill, but you're sounding way too desperate to obtain it. It's not going to stop you from being hungry..YOU have to train your mind to know whether you're hungry/thirsty/bored/upset/etc BEFORE you put the food in your mouth. You have to learn to eat smaller portions/calorie count(if needed)/exercise/etc. Phen can't do that for you.

STOP WHINING BECAUSE THE DOCTOR WON'T GIVE YOU PHEN!! Keep calling around to other Drs. No one on here can make a dr give you phen. Now, we're here for support...to listen...offer advice. Yea, I may sound mean, but you need to make the choice to really want to lose weight...not sounding like you just want the phen.

This is a Lifestyle Change! Good luck!!

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by brokentail View Post
    I was mad that the doc didnt give me a reason, i said why and she said goodbye... like she just didnt want to hear it from me. i understand i have to eat right and exercise, i could do that on my own wouldnt i be not fat? i just need the help of the phen to make me not want to eat so freakin much. i eat right and very healthy just too much!
    I wouldn't tolerate a doctor talking to me like that. Had you asked her before about it? Is she in a practice with other doctors? You need a new doctor if she just blew you off with no explanation... I could see if you bugged her about it, but even then, there is no excuse for a doctor to hang up on you. I would be seeking another doctor. Has your bariatric doctor given you any reasons?

As for not being fat if you eat right and exercise... there are plenty of people that eat very good and exercise and can't lose weight. I have PCOS like many others here and it is a struggle to lose weight. I eat better than most people I know, I exercise 5-6 days a week for at least an hour and it is a struggle, but I have kept doing it and finally the weight has been coming off very slowly. Some people just don't lose weight very fast regardless of how well they eat or how much they exercise, but you can't stop doing it. There is something you can do to keep yourself from eating too much, you simply don't eat too much... you learn portion control and after a week of doing it, your body adjusts to it. Your body will get used to what you do. Just like when you are used to eating too much your body wants to continue having that much food. When you cut back and control your portions, your body adjusts to that and you get full quicker and easier. You have to learn to do that without a medication. Perhaps that is the reason they won't prescribe you the med, because one really shouldn't need a medication for that, you have to learn it so you can do it for the rest of your life.

Start small. Use a smaller plate when you eat. Get a nutrition guide and learn what a serving is and start making your servings smaller. Eat every 2.5-3 hours so you will rev up your metabolism. If you haven't already, lower your intake of starchy and bad carbs, because those just make you hungrier in a couple of hours. Increase your protein. When you are hungry, determine whether you are really hungry or just thirsty. If it hasn't been long since you ate, drink some warm water with lemon, or nibble on some celery. Try seeing a nutritionist, I started one years ago and it was very helpful and I couldn't believe how much I learned. Keep a food journal and track your cals/carbs/fat, etc so you see exactly what you are getting and try to cut back 10% every several days and see if that helps. Also track your exercise. You can do it... then, take your logs to your doctor, if you aren't losing weight and show her that you are trying. Maybe that will help? I wish you luck... I know your frustration. It really stinks... but phen isn't going to necessarily take your appetite away, and without learning portion control and what you can and can't eat, phen really isn't going to be the answer.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by brokentail View Post
    I was mad that the doc didnt give me a reason, i said why and she said goodbye... like she just didnt want to hear it from me. i understand i have to eat right and exercise, i could do that on my own wouldnt i be not fat? i just need the help of the phen to make me not want to eat so freakin much. i eat right and very healthy just too much!
    maybe you should look into some sort of counseling because even though yeah phen will definately help you not want to eat so much-you won't be on phen for the rest of your life. So you are going to need to learn to use your will power in order to maintain losses that you make with or without phen. Even with phen, after it awhile, it isn't always as easy to not want to eat.

That being said--I do understand why you got upset though...that's just rude to say 'goodbye' and hang up without any explanation. Doesn't sound like a great doctor. If my doc gave me a liquid diet that tasted like crud I'd find another doctor even if the new doc just gave me a better tasting liquid diet!! lol
    Starting Weight: 260lbs

First Goal: 200lbs w/NO phen (met a year ago)

-regained and hit a plateau

started phen on 6/24 @ 217lbs

Current Weight as of 7/23 - 202lbs !!

"Impossibility—a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools."-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." -T.S. Eliot

"Well behaved women rarely make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Photos
    View albums

I totally understand why you want phen. It does help when it is legit. Maybe you could post and find someone in your area who will share the name of their doctor. I think there is a section here for that. Good luck.

Photos
    View albums

Photos
    View albums

I'm new here as well, but I have to say... you lost 10 lbs in 2 days and you are on here complaining about not getting side effects and actually being able to sleep? LOL I can tell you from experience (as I have been on a medically supervised liquid diet many times, and I still use the shakes for 1/2 of my nutrition every day, you need to give both some time. I LOVE my shakes though, they are delish and I look forward to them. So that helps. Obviously your doctor doesn't feel like Phen is right for you, which raises a red flag for me considering it sounds like you are seeing a bariatric dr at a weight loss clinic (most clinics are known for prescribing phen and similar), so perhaps there is a reason for this? I don't know if I would resort to ordering it online before I got to the bottom of why they won't give it to you. Do they prescribe medicine at all at this clinic? If both your PCP and the bariatric doctor advise against Phen, I would think there is a reason. I wouldn't take it without the consent of my doctor, it's just dangerous to do it otherwise. You sounded upset that the dr told you that you needed to eat better and exercise, and that they put you on a diet, that you just wanted the pills. Perhaps they are trying to test your level of commitment? Test how much you are willing to put into it? I don't know, but there has to be a reason that 2 doctors are against this.

Your body will take several days to a week to get used to the liquid diet. But after several days, you will notice an energy boost, and the phen should help that. You have too many things working against each other right now. Give it some time... I had to really start getting some exercise in order to find my energy. But just because you don't have jitters, you can sleep, etc doesn't mean it's not working, you have not given it enough time to determine if it works. But regardless of everything I just wrote, you lost 10 lbs!!!! I would be bouncing off the walls... give it some time, make sure you are taking a good multi. Add a good B complex if you aren't taking one already, get some real exercise (not cleaning the house, some good cardio exercise even if it is only for 15 minutes to start), your energy level will start to increase but you have to put the work in. I wish you luck!!!
    Last edited by cruisegirl1023; July 27th, 2008 at 01:47 PM.

Photos
    View albums

I feel your pain. Please stop taking the pills you bought online...they could be toxic. Get out the yellow pages and start calling all the doctors until you find one that has a weight loss plan with phen.

Photos
    View albums

How about a different doctor? If you're not getting what youwant from the doc now, why do you think things are gong to change? You burn calories by LONG TERM EXERCISE not in one day. The more days you execise, the more time you put into it, the better your results.

Current weight 179 NOVEMBER 2008

STARTING WEIGHT: 219 JUNE 2008

CURRENT WEIGHT: 179 JUNE 2008

GOAL WEIGHT: 149 FEBRUARY 2009

STRETCH OBJECTIVE: 139 March 2009

Photos
    View albums

thank you, but how is someone supposed to burn 2000+ cal a day.. thats insane!!
    i am on 1000 cal a day diet.. i cant imagine it is healthy but it is dr. perscribed.. so i will go along with it.. i lost another lb... which is good im not complaining.. i am just usually a tired all the time person.. and the only miracle i expected from phen was to have energy to go do something other than nap after work!
    the shakes im drinking are supressing my appetite because there so gross i cant even think of following them up with food... i see how this works... drink gross drink=so nauseated wont be able to eat food.
    thanks all for your help.
    i am going to beg diet doc for phen.

Photos
    View albums

I don't 'bounce off the walls' either. I have trouble sleeping but not because of phen...my mind just doesn't shut off at night.

Ok, here's your BMR scroes:
    BMR(calories burned at rest)=2,563 PAL(calories burned thru activity)=2,050

You need to burn 2,050 calories a day(at least that should be your goal).
    You should be eating 1,500 calories a day.

I found all this info on CalorieCheckBook if you want to check for yourself. I also use Calorie-Count to figure up how many calories I burn doing things around the house. Even if it only takes me 5min. to do the dishes, I figure up the calories burned because it all goes towards your goal.

Hope this helps. If you need any help with it, just ask. Good luck!!

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by AMANDABUFFORD View Post
    So what do you guys think about my above message slash pics one was a couple of weeks ago before phen and the other is tonight 10 lbs gone 6 days of phen...
    I think you should start your own thread so that you can get the responses that you are wanting. No one will see it in someone else's thread.

OP... i think you just need to give it time to kick in. Maybe try taking a b complex. B12 especially is supposed to help pep you up. I don't get the burst of energy I think because I'm fairly inactive at work. Like if I was up and moving around and stuff all the time, I know I'd have more energy anyways. But, alas I sit at a desk..bah!

Photos
    View albums

Looking good, I see the difference in your neckline.
    best wishes to u on your journey to fab'ness
    [SIGPIC]

SW (243lbs) 9/16/09 ([SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sw 243lbs
    mini goal 200lbs

starting over from 2008 lost a total of 22lbs begining weight was 266lbs back then.

Taebo 8minute workout in the morning
    Taebo boot camp in the evening
    1mile treadmill walk daily

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

So what do you guys think about my above message slash pics one was a couple of weeks ago before phen and the other is tonight 10 lbs gone 6 days of phen...
    SW 7/21 199
    Started Phen 7/21
    Current Weight as of 7/26 189
    Goal Weight 150

[/COLOR]

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

SW 7/21 199
    Started Phen 7/21
    Current Weight as of 7/26 189
    Goal Weight 150

[/COLOR]

Photos
    View albums

the doc i am at now is a weight loss clinic.. center for medical weight loss.. i am going back monday he wants to make sure im doing ok on the liquid diet crap i am going to tell him i am starving all the time and i really need phen (even tho im not starving , not hungry even.. just tired!)

i am 5'11 and light/moderate activity.. i dont go to the gym, but i have an active job and clean my house all the time...

the mg is 37.5

and i guess it works cuz im not starving and the drinks i am ingesting are total 1000 calories a day and totals 180% protein for the day, i just thought i would be bouncing off the walls, so many people say they have trouble sleeping at night, but i had no trouble falling asleep 5 hours after i took a half.

and its only 2 days so far... so maybe i just need to get used to it.. maybe im so tired cuz im fat and once i lose some weight i will have energy..

thank you all for your help.

Photos
    View albums

Okay, i know you're frustrated and all, but I think you need to chill out. It sounds to me like you're wanting some kind of miracle...and you're not going to get it with phen. It is an aid in weightloss. I don't get this burst of energy that you and others speak of. I'm not flipping out. It still works because i have lost 35 lbs since april 21st. You need to give it time. And I wouldn't buy anymore online. Did you ask your gyno? Try weight loss clinics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast