Gallbladder problems due to weight loss
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Platinum Phenster cruisegirl1023's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I hope you get some relief soon!!! Try to stay away from anything fatty. My problems were caused by doing the Atkins diet, plus years of high fat. Problem was, it took 7 years, 6 surgeries (one of which was a redo since they left a clamp inside me and didn't discover it for 2 years), and almost 20 doctors to figure it out I didn't have stones, just daily pain for hours that brought me to my knees.. every doctor said gall bladder, but when they did tests nothing came back. Not a single doctor ever bothered to do a nuclear scan, until one... and my GB was completely dead, non functioning and it was affecting my other organs particularly my liver. It LOOKED fine, it just didn't function. They had all been looking for stones and how it looked, not if it functioned, duh!! I had surgery the next day and I felt like I as born again. Don't give up. If you don't like the answers you get, go somewhere else. I lost 7 years of my life that I will never get back. I kid you not that I had several doctors diagnose me with chronic pain, and hypochondria. I always question the medical profession now. It has caused me to be very nervous when listening to doctors, and I don't think I'll ever get over that. If you are getting sick after you eat, something is wrong. I think it's disgusting that the insurance companies can deny something like this. It just makes me sick I wish you the best of luck... i hope the pain continues to get better.
    ~2/13/08-7/24/08- Lost 17 lbs on my own
    ~7/25/08- Started Phen and lipo shots -196 lbs
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/21/08- 179.3 lbs (16.7 first month)
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs
    ~12/4/08- 173 lbs... doomed to always be 173

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I've had this problem on and off for years. I really need my gallbladder removed but I am a chicken. Gallbladder pain can become severe. I have had gallbladder trouble since starting the adipex, or at least having it more frequently. It is due to diet change and I have flare ups if I eat a lot of leafy greens or stringy veggies. I can also have flare ups when I eat too much red meat or something that has too much fat.
    Kim, Mother to 5 working on reclaiming her body

SW 265 started WW, Flex Plan July 7th
    Started Phen July 15
    July total weight loss 10lbs
    August total weight loss 11lbs
    September weight loss 9lbs (while on vacation!)
    October weight loss 10lbs
    CW 223

November Goal 12.5lbs

Photos
    View albums

That's insane, what you said about insurance not paying for surgery. I mean WTF do you pay your insurance premium for. Why should you have to live in pain, when there is a solution that exists. That's crazy

Highest Weight 196
    Lost 50lbs on Phentermine + WW
    Gained 15lbs 8/09-2/10
    Started HCG 2/19/10
    3/19/10 Down 20.6lbs
    Currently on Phase 3 of HCG Diet
    Staring Phase 2 again 4/9

Photos
    View albums

No, I am not Indian. Swedish!
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

Photos
    View albums

I have also had my gallbladder removed, mine like Goth's showed up overnight. We got ready for bed, and I couldn't lie down from all the back pain, my husband massaged me until I fell asleep and then around 2 am I awoke CAUTION - THIS IS NASTY ................. puking up bile for 3 hrs straight, man, I thought I was dying. The next morning I was up by 7 and heading off to work with NO PAIN whatsoever. This happened twice, so I went to my OB who ordered n ultrasound, I had the laproscopic surgery 2 days later ( on a Friday) and was back to work the following Monday.

Just a heads up, when I found out I was pregnant, my first OB walked in the room and immediately asked what kind of Indian I was, then went on to tell me that Indian heritage is prone to gallbladder disease. I thought he was a quack, and went to another DR. - But, he hit the nail on the head - a year later, I was in for surgery. I don't know about any of ya'll, but I still can't eat lettuce, and fresh mushrooms make me double over with the same type of symptoms as a gall bladder attack.

Are you Indian ???

Photos
    View albums

I had gallbladder problems during my weight loss as well. It happens with rapid weight loss,kind of a shock to your system when you reduce your fat intake rapidly. I realized high fat and spicy meals would cause a flare so I ended staying away from that and it helped. I found out when I went to the ER with the pain that I was pregnant w/ my second child so I had to wait until a stone was blocking and wouldn't move, trying to have the pregnancy advance into the 2nd trimester. As long as it isn't emergency its not that bad to have it removed. I had mine removed laproscopically and wasn't a big deal. I was out of work 1 day and the little pain from the surgery beat the heck out of countless nights crying in pain. I have a high tolerance for pain so that with good luck may have made my situation better?
    5'7"
    SW: 360 9/01/05 (Size 28, Started dieting)
    CW: 248 12/01/06 (Size 20, Started w/ Trainer, 112 lbs lost)
    CW: 232 5/26/07 (Size 16, Started Phen, 128 lbs lost)
    CW: 209 6/26/07 (Size 12, 1 Mth 23 lbs w/phen, 151 lbs lost)
    **ONEDERLAND**
    CW: 196 7/27/07 (Size 10, 2 Mth/36 lbs w/Phen 164 lbs lost)

Had Twin Babies 6/20/2008
    CW: 250 7/24/2008 (Started back on phen/exercise)

Photos
    View albums

When I went to a doctor for medifast in the past, my doctor told me that be sure to drink plenty of water when on a rapid weight loss diet or you will have trouble with your gallbladder.

Sorry you are going through this. Insurance rules are crazy sometimes and this sounds like one of those times.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by jbenev5338 View Post
    oh and watch out for alcohol
    that is what made me have my worst attack ever
    I try to avoid alcohol altogether. I always gain weight when I drink. Thanks for the tip!
    1/05/09 169

Photos
    View albums

oh and watch out for alcohol
    that is what made me have my worst attack ever

Mother to a one year old active boy

MAY
    2nd- 194 lbs started PHEN
    9th- 188 lbs
    25th- 186 lbs
    JUNE
    13th- 186 lbs
    20th- 182 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Today things are a lot better. However, I ate Chinese food last night and I was immediately sick. I had the pain again and I was sick at my stomach for over an hour! Thank God it is better this morning!
    1/05/09 169

Photos
    View albums

Oh i just read through a bit more and i too want to tell you that i had a GI infection also when they discovered i had a problem with my gallbladder but mine was because my gallbladder was sooo enlarged it was pressing up against my intestines and caused an infection.But after i treated that i still had a knawing pain in that area

MAY
    9th- 188 lbs
    25th- 186 lbs
    JUNE
    13th- 186 lbs
    20th- 182 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Well the funny thing was i had exactly what you are saying about 3 months after my son.... But I didn't have any polyps i just had a very thick buildup of fats in the gallbladder that was making my gallbladder enlarged and i had it removed...
    One of the best things i did. I used to have lots of intestinal problems before the surgery and now things have gotten much better. My gallbladder also made me have severe constipation since my fats were storing inside the gallbladder and not going through the intestines. I think you may have said you were suffering from constipation?

MAY
    9th- 188 lbs
    25th- 186 lbs
    JUNE
    13th- 186 lbs
    20th- 182 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Ok, I feel dumb now. I don't believe I've ever heard of weight loss being the cause of gall bladder problems. Gonna make me have to research it now. You better get to feeling better soon. We need you fit as a fiddle for this challenge. Don't make me come to Alabama and take care of your arse.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by BronzyBella View Post
    Hmmm I didn't kow gallbladder issues could occur due to weight loss. I have had my gallbladder removed (about 4 years ago) due to haveing 20-30 gallstones in my gallbladder. So i can 110% relate to your pain! I wouldn't wish it on anyone because it is truly unbearable. I hope you get well soon. If you need to talk or even complain about it my ears and always open.
    You are always so helpful! Thanks for you continued support!!!
    1/05/09 169

BronzyBella

Hmmm I didn't kow gallbladder issues could occur due to weight loss. I have had my gallbladder removed (about 4 years ago) due to haveing 20-30 gallstones in my gallbladder. So i can 110% relate to your pain! I wouldn't wish it on anyone because it is truly unbearable. I hope you get well soon. If you need to talk or even complain about it my ears and always open.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by RAINE4EVER View Post
    CMARIE....The same thing happen to me four years ago.....after having my fourth child I lost 60lbs from stress within a two month period......one day I woke up in a rage of pain....I when to the doctor and he said that maybe I had kidney stones and they will pass......But a week later the pain came again harder than before.....I went to a different er room and had and ultrasound.....to find out that I had 18 gallstones......the doctor explained that with a significant weight change that the gallstones grew faster than normal......after observation for 24 hours the pain wouldn't go away.....so I had my gallbladder remove via laser survey.......All that time I thought that I couldn't eat......but after I had my survey my weight and my appetite when right back to normal.....I think that you should get an second opinion.....if something persist to hurt on a scale to 10....Insurance will cover the charge.......PAIN MANAGEMENT is offer all the time.....but who wants to take drugs all day....when the problem can just be solved.....My advice to you is....seek help as soon as the pain starts let them know that pain killers is just not working......and the only pain management you need is to removed the GALLBLADDER....and you will be just fine......I hope all works out!!!!

Thanks for the info! The pain is actually a lot better! I think a lot of it was from the GI infection. However, knowing that I have issues with my gallbladder and knowing that I still have another 20 lbs I would like to lose, worries me. It seems definite that I will end up having my gallbladder removed eventually.

Thanks everyone for your very helpful information!
    1/05/09 169

Photos
    View albums

Smile I had the same problem

CMARIE....The same thing happen to me four years ago.....after having my fourth child I lost 60lbs from stress within a two month period......one day I woke up in a rage of pain....I when to the doctor and he said that maybe I had kidney stones and they will pass......But a week later the pain came again harder than before.....I went to a different er room and had and ultrasound.....to find out that I had 18 gallstones......the doctor explained that with a significant weight change that the gallstones grew faster than normal......after observation for 24 hours the pain wouldn't go away.....so I had my gallbladder remove via laser survey.......All that time I thought that I couldn't eat......but after I had my survey my weight and my appetite when right back to normal.....I think that you should get an second opinion.....if something persist to hurt on a scale to 10....Insurance will cover the charge.......PAIN MANAGEMENT is offer all the time.....but who wants to take drugs all day....when the problem can just be solved.....My advice to you is....seek help as soon as the pain starts let them know that pain killers is just not working......and the only pain management you need is to removed the GALLBLADDER....and you will be just fine......I hope all works out!!!!
    THROUGH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

Photos
    View albums

Some of the pain (left side), they are treating with antibiotics. My doctor thinks I have a GI infection (in the colon) which is causing most of my pain. The finding of the polyps in my gallbladder was just coincidence. I have had some pain in my upper right chest (under rib cage), but it hasn't gotten severe! I was just surprised that they would find something in my gallbladder but not do anything about it.
    1/05/09 169

Photos
    View albums

I had my gallbladder taken out back in '92. My doctor said it was from eating fatty foods and unhealthy foods. The pain you are having is a stone passing through your bile duct and through your pancrias and liver. I have scar tissue everywhere in my organs from passing so many stones. Luckily I didn't have any lodged when I had my surgery or they would have had to go through my mouth and down my throat to dislodge them. The only thing I found that helped with the pain was either walking or someone beating on my back as you would to burp a baby only alot HARDER. I had stones so bad and had passed so many through my liver I had jondice. I had 6 stones ranging from as big as my thumb to as small as a pea. That was the worse pain I have ever experienced. The final attack that sent me to the doctor was while I was driving. I thought I was having a heart attack, but was only 22 years old and figured I was too young to be having that kind of problem. I went to see my doctor and he had me scheduled for ultrasound the next Monday. This was on a Friday, I didn't make it till that Monday I went to the ER that night with another attack. They put me in and started an IV giving me Demerol and Potasium because I was dehydrated. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I was on a liquid diet for the whole time until the day they sent me home. They fed me bbq ribs, stewed cabbage, baked apples and juice. Needless to say I had another attack when I got home that night. A week and a half later I had it taken out.
    07/21/10 - 247 lbs
    06-14-2010 - 256Lbs
    1st doc visit 06-17-10: 253
    MiniGoal: By August 21, 12 more pounds
    1 month goal: 235 by August 21

Photos
    View albums

Default Hi

That is a little odd. When I had mine taken out I asked if they couldn't just remove the gall stones and he told me no they would just come back. He said they used to do that many times but found that they most likely would come back so laproscopy was the best alternative. The scars aren't to bad from the laproscopy (although they did have to use a drain tube that hurt like nothing I could believe when they had to take it out. Gall stones can be increased by extreme weight loss or gain or weight fluctuating alot.

In my case it was weight loss as I weighed 275 right when I found out I was preggo. Then they put me on thyroids and I weighed 233 by the time I had my daughter. But the thing is that the galstones I had had been building and it caused my gal bladder to rupture. They said that if it had been much sooner then there would not have been as many problems. Most doctors prefer removing it before it gets to that point. Also, just so you know, it's better to stay away from any sweet or greasy foods as this really increases gall bladder attacks. You may notice as well if you eat later in the night you have pain, or anything even a little sugary. Definitly seek a second opinion. Gall bladders bursting is no small thing and it if you think it's bad now waiting later can cause much grief. I cried when they put the ultrasound to my abdomen. It felt like no pain I could imagine. I'm a little surprised they told you that.

Haha, ditto on the not having a constipation problem though.
    Last edited by lovinmyair; July 26th, 2008 at 01:42 AM.

Photos
    View albums

I am so sorry about yout pain. I hate hearing you are going through it
    SW 5/24 188.8 started Phen
    5/30 183.2 Week one
    6/6 180 week 2 (179 @home)
    6/13 176 week 3
    6/20 173.9 week 4
    15 pounds GONE
    7/1 171.2
    7/31 172 WTH Start 37.7 tomorrow
    Avatar is me @ my wedding in 2001

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Cmarie123 View Post
    The pain has gotten a little better. I have more pain meds than I know what to do with! I have Lortab, Darvocet, Mephregan, Vistoril! It is insane how many pain pills they gave me! I don't want to take them though because of the side effects. I am a walking zombie! I actually walked today for the first time in a week and I made it through the entire 3 miles without fainting or puking! YAY me!

For some reason the gallbladder acts up when people lose weight. Obviously it doesn't do that for everyone, but it is a common side effect to weight loss! Crazy, huh?
    yes I do belive you will have to get your gallbladder remove. I no when I lost 20 pounds on phen and 3 months later I was in the hospital getting my gallbladder removed. I could'nt stand the pain no kind of pain pills would help and the bad thing about the pain it will hit you so hard when you are out having a good time, but I can say one thing that did help me just a bit was setting in a warm bath for about 1hour. I think that helps move the seeds back in there place. oh if you do have to get your gallbladder remove make sure you get a good dr cause I went to kaiser and they lefted some seeds in me and I had to go back in surgery and stay in the hospital for 4 days but the bad thing about it was it was support to be a in and out surgery and you are support to be fine in about a week well for me they took me off of work for 3 months cause I didnt heal right and my wounds took at least 2 months to close up so good luck but I did loose weight from getting my gallbladder remove.
    Last edited by lovesisters; July 25th, 2008 at 11:43 PM.
    ONLY YOU CAN MAKE YOU HAPPY

Photos
    View albums

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 19yrs old(2 months after my c-section). Call your insurance company yourself and find out for yourself. Mine was an emergency surgery...I couldn't stand/sit/breath/pick up the babies/move because of the pain. The pains are also brought on my food. No cause for mine though, just like it showed up overnight. You can still get the pains even after the surgery...caused by food/swallowing air/etc.

Hope you start feeling better...after 22 years I can still remember what that pain feels like.

Photos
    View albums

I have read quite a bit about losing weight and gallbladder problems. Only reason I know this is because my coworker was having a pain on her right side (she no longer has an appendeix) so I thought of the gall bladder. I looked it up and all that junk and realized it probably wasn't her problem. So i read all about the rapid weight loss and gallbladder bs. I was having pain in my back this week...which I guess was result of my period (this never happens during my period). Then when you were having your issues I thought "maybe that's what's wrong with me!!!". I'll prolly have to have mine out at some point just because I can't afford to have another surgery, lol.

I think it has to do with your liver and how much bile you produced when having more weight. You then lose all this weight and your body is producing too much bile and it causes these stones. That's just my reccollection..so don't take it as the gospel!

But it's crazy that you have to wait for the polyps to reach 10mm when it hurts this bad when they are only 5 and 7. INSANE!

Photos
    View albums

The pain has gotten a little better. I have more pain meds than I know what to do with! I have Lortab, Darvocet, Mephregan, Vistoril! It is insane how many pain pills they gave me! I don't want to take them though because of the side effects. I am a walking zombie! I actually walked today for the first time in a week and I made it through the entire 3 miles without fainting or puking! YAY me!

For some reason the gallbladder acts up when people lose weight. Obviously it doesn't do that for everyone, but it is a common side effect to weight loss! Crazy, huh?
    1/05/09 169

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast