Very helpful information! Thanks!!
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

knowing stuff like this always helps us to remember y its important to drink water. good post
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3

Starting over again!!!!

Prncssmn7

Having this in the back of my mind has made it easier for me to drink plain water...shedding those extra 490 calories a week!
    Last edited by Prncssmn7; July 24th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Photos
    View albums

WOW I got confused half way through lol. I knew cold water burned calories but didn't know it was that many.

GUZZLE THE WATER LADIES!!!!!!
    07/21/10 - 247 lbs
    06-14-2010 - 256Lbs
    1st doc visit 06-17-10: 253
    MiniGoal: By August 21, 12 more pounds
    1 month goal: 235 by August 21

Prncssmn7

Thank you, but I am not EVEN going to take credit for anything but looking this up. I knew about it already (I did something on it in school), but wanted to post something everyone could understand about WHY drinking water - especially cold water is necessary.

Photos
    View albums

You are so smart!!! This is good stuff! Thanx
    SW-268 (5-16-08)
    (5-26) 263
    (8-11) 234

1st MINI GOAL=========>230

Prncssmn7

Default Cold Water and Weight Loss

For anyone trying to lose weight, this question is an exciting one! If you simply want to know if your body burns calories warming up the water, the answer is yes. But if you want to know if drinking a lot of ice water can help you lose weight, or keep weight off, this "yes" needs to be qualified with some calculations.

While you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does burn extra Calories.

First of all, calories are case-sensitive. There are calories and then there are Calories. Calories with a big "c" are the ones used to describe the amount of energy contained in foods. A calorie with a little "c" is defined as the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

What most people think of as a Calorie is actually a kilo-calorie: It takes one Calorie to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius. So when you drink a 140-Calorie can of cola, you are ingesting 140,000 calories. There is no cause for alarm, because the conversion applies across the board. When you burn 100 Calories jogging a mile, you are burning 100,000 calories.

So, considering that the definition of a calorie is based on raising the temperature of water, it is safe to say that your body burns calories when it has to raise the temperature of ice water to your body temperature. And unless your urine is coming out ice cold, your body must be raising the temperature of the water. So calories are being burned.

Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:

The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
    Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
    It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
    There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.
    So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.

But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

70 calories/day x 7 days = 490 calories a week burned for doing nothing but drinking water... Drink that water, ladies!
    Last edited by Prncssmn7; July 24th, 2008 at 04:02 AM.