Anyone on the Skinny B/ I/ T/ C/ H/ book diet?

Its a pretty entertaining book with smart facts. I know the book wants individuals to follow a vegan lifestyle.

What are foods that I can buy from like Trader Joe's that are healthy and taste good? Do they make organic cottage cheese? I like silk vanilla soy milk. Should I just stick to eating fruits, veggies, and whole grain every now and then?

I like fish. What type of fish do you eat ibluedragonfly? And to answer your question about calcium: "you can get adequate calcium from fortified grains, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, cabbage, kelp, seaweed, watercress, chickpeas, broccoli, red beans, soybeans,tofu, seeds like sesame seeds, and nuts."

Just an FYI on dairy from the book: " Dioxin, is one of the most toxic substances in the world, is often found in dairy products. When you consume dairy products, you are ingesting the same antibioticcs, pesticidies, steroids, and hormones you would if you ate meat directly. Cows are injected with bovine growth hormone. There are sickeningly high levels of pesticides found in dairy meet government standards."

"People in other countries consume half the amount of protein that we do, yet they live longer, healthier lives."

quotes from Skinny B/i/t/c/h book by: rory freedman and kim barnouin
    Last edited by dutchtulips; July 24th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
    Love the skin you are in.

"Love yourself enough to do whatever it takes to be the best you can be!"

"You are worthless to your colleagues, friends, and family if you do not value yourself enough to take excellent care of you."

2. Advertising
    advertising

Question

I haven't read the book, but now I want to, particularly for the profanity! :blabla::blabla:

I quit eating cheese and sour cream because I always feel bloated after eating them and I don't drink milk because I am lactose intolerant. I eat a ton of fruit and spinach. I drink soy milk and eat a lot of fish and chicken. (Don't like red meat.) I try to eat foods that have no preservatives in them. My doctor told me that processed food is extremely bad for your blood pressure among other things. I found preservatives give me a headache too. Cutting out processed food has really helped me a lot in dropping the pounds!

I guess I need to find a good alternative for getting enough calcium. Do I get enough from spinach and soy milk? What do others of you eat for calcium?
    As you think, so shall you be...

Bronze Phenster nc_beached_whale's Avatar

I was given that book when I started the phen. I haven't read it all.
    I've only drank organic milk for a good long while now, but i would like to switch my cheese and other stuff to organic, but there is so much fewer to choose from, unless you have a whole foods store local.

I don't really feel any desire to eat red meat, but I tend to eat alot of chicken, simply by default, its everywhere. I love, love, love pork, so it is now my choice for special occasion meat, and I eat a ton of seafood!

They want you to be vegan and that is not going to happen for me, but I like the book in general. I love the language, lol, if nothing else, it has helped me chill out on my cursing.
    See ya at the beach, I'll be the fat one in the thong.

:eatnphen1:]

Silver Phenster sergeantsgirlfriend's Avatar

I have that book and I also stopped eating meat for six months after I read it. We buy organics in anything that I can find. The organic milk is wonderful. It tastes so much better than the other milk out there. It is a lifestyle change and not a bad one although some of the things take getting used to but the book isn't really meant to be a diet plan it's just more so for informing you about the foods you are eating and exactly what is in those foods. It will make you think twice about some of the things you eat for sure. It's a good read but not for the profanity sensitive!

hmm....dairy is important, i would keep the fat free greek style yogurt in your diet (avail. at trader joe's) but I would cut out any type of cheese......you can get calcium from cashew nuts and from broccoli......

I don't think you should cut out dairy. It sounds like you're already eating healthy/lower fat dairy products. I'm sure you could drop weight faster w/out dairy but are you willing to cut it out FOREEEEEVER? Haha. Besides, dairy offers so much nutritional value. It can help to increase bone density, decrease the risk of certain cancers, and the magnesium, potassium and calcium in dairy products can help lower your blood pressure. I'm sure you could get plenty of nutrients just by taking a vitamin supplement, but where's the fun in that?
    *Amber*

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four
    unless there are three other people." ~ H.G. Welles

Stay away from that icecream cake!

you'll have to read the book ..they talk about the major food groups and the cons like dairy, meat, sweets etc.

"You are worthless to your colleagues, friends, and family if you do not value yourself enough to take excellent care of you."

Hmmm, interesting....I'll check it out next time I go to the library. But, just curious, what difference does it make if you get organic or non-organic?
    -------------------
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Default Anyone on the Skinny B/ I/ T/ C/ H/ book diet?

So I'm reading the book, Skinny B/ I/ T/ C/ H. Has anyone else read it? Comments? The book is very eye opening. I would suggest if you haven't read it to go to your local library and rent it (I wouldn't waste money buying it though).

The book has really changed my way of eating. I have been reading more on organic foods and when I go to the grocery store I look for organic or all natural foods. Or I'll shop at Trader Joe's instead of Kroger. I have been eating healthy..I would say breakfast is my biggest meal..not really hungary during lunchtime (I take my phen between 1-2pm so I'm not snacking in the early evening) and dinner consists of veggies and/or protein. Throughout the day I eat lots of fruits, veggies, quakes rice cakes, I'll add kellogg's K20 water + fiber packet to my water (the lemonade one tastes great!), organic chewy bars, trader joe's vanilla almond crisp cereal, dairy like cottage cheese, string cheese,eggs for breakfast, yogurt but from reading the book (by cutting dairy out of your diet, you can loose much more weight.) So my question is should I cut down on my dairy intake? If so, what types of foods should I replace the dairy food items with? Maybe I'll switch to soy milk? I don't mind the vanilla soy milk. How much is your daily dairy intake?

I think writing down what I have had to eat has helped me focus and loose weight def a good tip!

Also, what type of diet do you follow? Low-fat? Vegetarian? Fruits & Veggies?
    Last edited by dutchtulips; July 22nd, 2008 at 06:03 PM.