I Heart Carbs

Thread: I Heart Carbs

Photos
    View albums

I have lost all of the weight that I have lost without cutting carbs drastically. I pay attention to them and reduce them where I can if I feel like it.....but I ((heart)) carbs too!! and I know that I wouldn't be able to manage that for life so I don't even bother with it...but I do minorly reduce them. If i have a burger most of the time I'll only have one slice of whole wheat bread instead of two....which is way better anyways because the meat is better than the bread :P ...with pasta on the other hand it's harder for me not to want more than I should really have....and then there's the garlic bread with the pasta......and I love pizza..thankfully I love thin crust pizza!....and then there's cornbread! french bread..dinner rolls.. i live down the street from a huge bread bakery that makes the whole street smell like fresh bread....it doesn't really help!

anyways though...my point is that it can be done....maybe not for everyone, but if you want to keep your carbs just be ready to keep an eye on them and use moderation
    Starting Weight: 260lbs

First Goal: 200lbs w/NO phen (met a year ago)

-regained and hit a plateau

started phen on 6/24 @ 217lbs

Current Weight as of 7/23 - 202lbs !!

"Impossibility—a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools."-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." -T.S. Eliot

"Well behaved women rarely make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Cutting carbs like most people who replied was the main key for me. I have been a major carb addict for years now and whilst i was younger and had a great metabolism it did not matter if i had a block of chocolate for breakfast, 2 big macs for lunch, and two pizza's for dinner.... i did not put on ANY weight. but not all good things last.

So with a slow metabolism and major carb addiction, i put on weight... and since then i have tried everything imaginable but i just kept on putting ont he weight, so over the last month i have cut out majority of the processed carbs and its working. i also find that not having carbs makes me feel fuller for longer... and i definately cant complain about that

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by itzBabyPhat View Post
    YAY Suparstar....good job!!!!! Did the cutting carbs play a part in it?
    Thanks BabyPhat! I don't know what's doing the trick exactly (besides phen and working out 3-4 times a week lol). Either way, I'll take it!
    *Amber*

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four
    unless there are three other people." ~ H.G. Welles

Stay away from that icecream cake!

Photos
    View albums

I did Atkins years ago (by the book) and it helped me get rid of any cravings that I may have had for carbs. I slowly added back good carbs the way the book said to and when all was said and done I had a hot body and no cravings for bad stuff...I ate whole wheat bread, fruits, vegetables , lean proteins and also some dairy but I tend to take it easy on that because i'm sensitive to it. I was pretty much eating whole foods, nothing processed, I felt and looked great.

Unfortunately after a few years I started getting comfortable and added bad carbs back to my diet, went hog wild ....and worked out less....big mistake....

I don't have the strength to go do the whole Atkins thing all over again, being in ketosis made me really weak and I lacked energy, the goat breath stunk too....SO now I'm trying to do low carb without going into ketosis first..it is hard because I have cravings for sweet stuff again...Time to reprogram!

You can eat low carb without eating NO carb...healthy carbs ARE good for you. Low fat diets do not work long term, and they dry out your skin and hair.....the body needs good fats.....even WW tells you to eat 2 Tb of olive oil a day....

so....I suggest you look more into the low carb lifestyle and just focus on being healthy. You are doing GREAT so far!

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I'm happy for you
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Photos
    View albums

YAY Suparstar....good job!!!!! Did the cutting carbs play a part in it?
    1/16/2009 Starting over is so f'in hard!
    7/1/08 251 lost 26 pounds, gained 21 back pounds by 1/1/09
    SW 246
    1/13/2009 241 w/Phen
    Started Low Carb
    01/19/2009 237
    02/23/2009 223
    03/29/2009 204
    04/16/2009 199.9
    05/04/2009 204.5 6 wk body makeover (mini)
    05/29/2009 188.32 (16 pounds in 3 weeks)
    08/10/2009 178.64 Slow but stil going
    09/19/2009 166
    11/1/2009 157
    1/30/10 166 tha holidays!!
    back at it no phen in 2 months grrrr!!

Me 08/19 174

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Supastar0284 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just stick to everything in moderation. I'd rather just limit myself here and there rather than set myself up for disaster by drastically reducing my one true love in life! Lol, Just kidding, I love my husband too.

Oooh, and something exciting is about to happen! I weighed at the gym today on one of those scales where you have to move the weights to balance it. Well, every time I step on it I immediately have to move the big piece to the 250lb notch and then adjust the small piece up from there. I have been doing this FOREVER! Well, I am just 1.5 lbs away from only having to move it to the 200lb notch! YAY! It's funny these little things get you so excited, but it just shows me that I am making progress. Woop!

Well, it happened today! I went to the gym and stepped on the scales. I moved the the balance to the 250 notch and the balance hit the bottom!!!!!! I got to move the big piece down to the 200 mark! Woop! Woop! 150 mark-here I come!
    *Amber*

Photos
    View albums

Just doing low carbs won't make you lose a thing that you won't gain back if you don't add the protien and fiber that goes along with the low carbs...

Another member here posted the link to sparkepeople.com last week...I was at a 14 pound plateau for about 4 days until
    I started going to that site every day...you can put all your info in and it will give you the amount of calories, carbs, fat, and protien that you need every day...It's an awesome site...I love it...I've lost another 4 pounds in
    the last 5 days since joining over there...
    Here is the site if you are interested...

http://www.sparkpeople.com

My starting face! My new do, 6 months later!

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I know all too well about that freakin' notch ...

Standing on the scale ... watching the lady SLIDE the little one over, ALLLLLL the way to the right ... then having to move the bigger one. Ugh.

So YES YES & YES it's a GREAT feeling - enjoy it!
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just stick to everything in moderation. I'd rather just limit myself here and there rather than set myself up for disaster by drastically reducing my one true love in life! Lol, Just kidding, I love my husband too.

Oooh, and something exciting is about to happen! I weighed at the gym today on one of those scales where you have to move the weights to balance it. Well, every time I step on it I immediately have to move the big piece to the 250lb notch and then adjust the small piece up from there. I have been doing this FOREVER! Well, I am just 1.5 lbs away from only having to move it to the 200lb notch! YAY! It's funny these little things get you so excited, but it just shows me that I am making progress. Woop!
    *Amber*

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

ive been trying low carb. not extremely low, but trying to do no more than 40ish a day. i havent noticed any weight loss really but it has only been a week or 2... and idk if im maybe taking in more than i think. it really just depends on your body and so far i have no idea what really works for me lol.

Photos
    View albums

low carb is the only way i seem to be able to lose weight too. It forced me to eat healther instead of processed foods I eat a large variety of veggies. Of course I love to binge on cookies, so low carb stops that and helps me with my sugar addiction

Photos
    View albums

No, I have never cut my carbs and I lose weight....not quickly though. I think if you do cut carbs, you can lose faster, but I wouldn't know. I eat carbs in almost every meal. But I have added lots of veggies. PLUS, I am a huge fruit eater. So I eat complex and simple carbs....every carb out there!!! And I rarely exercise. So it's possible.
    -------------------
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Photos
    View albums

im doing low carb and have lost 56 lbs so far. but im not doing it as a diet. i eat tons of meats, cheese, and veggies anyway so its not that big of a struggle for me. and i have done it for so long that i can even eat rolls and stuff. i ate 2 from o'charleys yesterday lol. so its not that bad.

HOWEVER, i dont suggest doing low carb if your doing it just to lose weight and for a short peiod of time. if this is the case you will gain all the weight you lost back twice as quick as it took you to lose it as soon as you go back to eating carbs and things

2/10/08 - 3/08/08** -19 (Month 1 on Phen)
    3/15/08 - 4/05/08** -31 (Month 2 on Phen)
    4/12/08 - 5/03/08** -35 (Month 3 on Phen)
    5/10/08 - 5/31/08** -45 (Month 4 on Phen)
    6/07/08 - 6/28/08** -49 (Month 5 NO Phen)
    7/12/08- 7/26/08 ** -58 (Month 6 on Phen)

month 5 results
    1st mini goal=215 met
    2nd mini goal=200 met
    3rd mini goal=185 met
    4th mini goal= 170

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

yes - in the past, I've tried portion control - the everything in moderation, it worked. by far, nothing works as well as getting rid of carbs. I feel the best when carbs are gone.

The 2 points I think a lot of people that are not fans of Low Carbs - get confused on are:

It's low carb - not No carb.
    2nd and most importantly
    Healthy carbs are a GOOD thing.

When I read the Atkins book - the just the over all concept and the story of the cavemen ... vs. what is now all this processed food - it really sunk in to me about food. About it being the right thing for me.

Anyway - not giving up carbs will work, I have a friend that was well over 300lbs, he decided to do the low FAT thing, You know ordering a baked potato with salsa vs. butter and he is now in the 190's and doing great. He is also very dedicated to exercise Mon-Thur.
    His wife - thought since he had such good results, she would play along - didn't lose a pound, tried for 2.5months, nothing.

Finally - I have to say - YOU have to find what works for you. For me, if I ate a hamburger bun or rice crackers, I wouldn't be able to fit through the door.
    Give me a Bacon, Eggs, Salad w/ ranch, Big ole Steak and pile on the veggies sauted in butter.
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Photos
    View albums

I think that everyone is different. For me I tend to favor the low carb lifestylye. I just feel better in general when I don't load up on carbs. Being that I am a fruits and veggie lover however, I do not follow a strict low carb plan most of the time. I simply try to eat good carbs.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can! ~Arthur Ashe

Photos
    View albums

Cutting carbs is the ONLY way I have been successful! Tried all other calorie counting,measuring,point counting diet and NOTHING worked for me but serious carb reduction...
    Ree

Photos
    View albums

Default I Heart Carbs

I was wondering... It seems that the huge trend in weight loss has been carb cutting. I know that this can be a very effective method of weight loss, but I'm not willing to go as drastic as many diets would call for. I do try to to not go overboard with the carbs, but I don't ask for bunless burgers or anything. Also, I opt for whole wheat whenever possible. I guess my question is- Have any of you had major weight loss success without majorly cutting the carbs?

*Amber*