Where does your willpower come from?

Hey SkyDreama!

Welcome back! You mentioned that you have all that stuff all over your house already? how long has it been there? After a while we fail to notice things we see every day. Have you considered re-doing it all? Take it all down and come up with new little motivations instead of relying on what motivated you in the past? I mean if all that stuff has been put up there in the last few weeks, then nevermind! But once things become part of our normal background, they begin to lose their effect!

Just a thought...

My motivation is this is the one obstacle in my life I've never been able to overcome. I am a very strong person, and always have been, people in my life admire me for my self confidence and my strength, and it's what I pride myself on. And it drives me nuts that everything I've ever set out to do in life I've been able to do but this. I mean I did get down 110 pounds but then gained it back, and that's where my name even comes from. I want this weight off once and for all.
    41 down 36 to go!

5/12/08 - 232.5 - Started Phen/lexapro combo
    5/29/08 - 218 -14.5 pounds in 2 weeks
    6/12/08 - 209.5 -8.5 for a total of 23 pounds in the first month!
    7/10/08 - 200 -9.5
    8/07/08 -192 -8
    9/18/08 - 185.5 -6.5
    12/8/08-191 +5.5

2. Advertising
    advertising

What I've found tough is the closer I get to goal the less motivated I feel - it ****s. It's kind of a double edged sword. On one hand I feel pretty good about the way I look - I never thought I could be a size 4-6 *shock*. Because I feel better about the way I look I start allowing myself to slide in different areas (not as much water, exercise, eating more desserts...) The weight slowly can start creeping up when we're not as vigilant.
    I've lost weight and gained it back (more than once) before so I know how easy it it.
    Somehow we have to find balance. Not being to strict, but making better choices the majority of the time. Remembering that even the little choices we make (both good and bad) can add up if done enough times.
    For me this is better than motivation. Motivation comes and goes - it can't be counted on in the long run.

I guess you can't say the word that rhymes with bucks????

You know, I don't know what the heck I was thinking. That is where my "motivation" comes from. Willpower....well....just a lot of talking to myself and talking myself out of it. I literally have arguments with myself about why I really shouldn't drink that pop or eat that cookie.
    -------------------
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Gold Phenster countryasadirtroad's Avatar

I'll tell you what, I was struggling really bad, and then I started reading all sorts of articles on "healthy living". SO many posts suggested writing everything down so I went and got "The Ultimate Workout Log" from Barnes and Noble. It gives you places to write down EVERYTHING (calories, cardio, strength training, how you feel, and daily wrap-up, etc) and then has a "weekly wrap-up page" at the end of each week so you know what you accomplished, and then a "monthly wrap-up" so you can see all you've done at-a-glance. I write in it everyday. I put my calories in on mydailyplate.com and then write them down in the book. One of the articles I read said something like "If you want a healthy lifestyle, pick up a pen before you pick up a dumbbell."
    210lbs-170lbs 10/01/08 - 3mo of phen & 3mo of just D&E
    208.5 lbs 05/04/10 - Wk 0 (started phen again)

Mini Goal: 170lbs by my Vegas vacation in August

Final Goal: 150lbs

Yes, yes, I do remember now! Nice to see an old familiar face (not saying you're old). hee hee!
    -------------------

Benson - in 2005, I had the name LeesGurl then I had the mods change it for me to Skydreama. I was very active in the Phentastic phrends challenge that blew up the boards in 05/06. I remember you from back then!
    SW:268
    LW:210
    CW:230
    GW:175

"You never know what you can do until you try"

Well, mine usually comes from Joel Osteen. Whenever I am feeling down, I just turn on the TiVo! But these days I'm just not in a good mood, in which case I should be listening to him 10 times a day....plus, talking to my mom helps. Hubby is NO help because he thinks I am crazy for "dieting" anyway.

I am so trying to place you from the old days. I think I will go through some old threads and jog my memory!
    -------------------

Silver Phenster

Quote Originally Posted by masonsmom View Post
    For me it's knowing what my future holds in store for me. Both of my parents have diabetes and high blood pressure. My dad passed away from congestive heart failure. The to top it all off, my last pregnancy I had gestational diabetes.

I want to see my grand babies and great grand babies!!!!!!!!!
    Masonmom - I appreciated your post. My mom died of congestive heart failure 3yrs ago. She was only 49yrs old. She was a breast cancer survivor but couldn't beat CHF. Both of her parents (my grandparents) died from cancer so my odds aren't too promising. So with keeping my family health history in mind, I want to live a healthy lifestyle.

Skydreama - First, love your name. Secondly. I have two children and I want to be here for them. So what's my motivation? Realizing that I gave up all rights to be frivilous with my life once I decided to become a mom and if that means passing on the unhealthy foods that has been polluting my body over the years...then so be it. It's not easy but it's achievable. Find a focal point and stay fixed on it. Think of it like this; a long distance runner knows there's a finish line. When the gun goes off, he may not see the yellow tape immediately but he knows that if he keeps running he'll eventually cross it. He doesn't give up mid-way, he keeps going until he reaches the finish line. So maybe your motivation can be just that. You know there's a goal to achieve, it may take some time, you may get tired and discouraged along the way, but you know that if you keep "running" you will eventually make it to the finish line. Take good care of yourself!
    SW 183 (7/1/08)
    LW 174 (7/21/08)
    LW 173 (8/8/08)
    LW 172 (8/18/08)
    LW 169 (8/22/08)
    Summer Meltdown Challege GW 165 - did not reach challenge GW on 8/31
    LW 164 (9/5/08)

LW 163 (9/18/08)

GW 153

Talking

Wow THANK YOU ladies!

I have been very good today about my eating so I am happy with myself today. I guess I just have to take it one day at a time.

I almost thought I was really bad for a minute cause alot of the things you all mentioned, I already do!! My fridge has models all over it, my bathroom door has magazine pages of my ideal body cut out and taped to it, my mirror in my bathroom has an old "fit" picture of me on it, and i have a dry erase board in my kitchen that reads "go weigh yourself before you eat junk" lol

but I need the constant reminders I guess.

again, thank you for your suggestions and sharing what works for you - it does help to hear someone else's stories.

For the first 2 months I was on fire...now my willpower is fading. I am keeping up my regimen though, but it's getting hrader and hearder to push myself at the gym. MY MOTIVATION~I keep looking at my pictures before the weight loss and then sometimes I try on clothes and model for myself. LOL! I know it sounds crazy, but if you like the way you look now and you don't want that to go away then you keep moving towards more weight loss. I am focused on trying to COMPLETELY remove this stomach!

4/17/08 (size 18/20 pants and XXL shirts): 220 (Started Phen)
    4/17/08-5/17/08 (1st month lost 18 pounds) 202
    5/17/08-6/17/08 (2nd Month lost 8.4 pounds) 193.6
    6/17/08- 7/17/08 (3rd Month lost 7.6 ponds) 186
    7/17/08- 8/17/08:184 (No Phen)
    8/17/08-9/17/08: 182 (No Phen)
    9/17/08-11/17/08: 185 (No Phen)
    (Now~Size 13/14 pants and L shirts)

Total Weight Loss

For me it's knowing what my future holds in store for me. Both of my parents have diabetes and high blood pressure. My dad passed away from congestive heart failure. The to top it all off, my last pregnancy I had gestational diabetes.

I want to see my grand babies and great grand babies!!!!!!!!!
    url=http://www.extrapounds.com/] [/url]

July 19, 2008 Today
    6-11-08 200lbs (starting weight)
    7-7-08 186 lbs
    7-18-08 182 lbs
    8-14-08 173lbs almost at 30lbs lost!
    1-20-09 144lds
    myspace.com/mykidsrul

Diamond Phenster

Willpower and Motivation ...

When I get mine, I'll let you know where it comes from.

I wish you the best, do you think posting and reading the board like in your old days would help?

I'm in your same vicious circle, I understand.
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

The brush fire between my thighs is my willpower and motivation California ain't got nothing on these thighs!

Seriously, I want to be comfortable in my own skin. Don't wanna have to worry about dressing to camouflage my body, instead I wanna dress to accentuate my body.

Highest Weight 196
    Lost 50lbs on Phentermine + WW
    Gained 15lbs 8/09-2/10
    Started HCG 2/19/10
    3/19/10 Down 20.6lbs
    Currently on Phase 3 of HCG Diet
    Staring Phase 2 again 4/9

I have no willpower. I only have decisions. One decision at a time.
    When I consistently make bad choices/decisions, I sit myself down and decide to pitch whatever it is that I keep pecking away at.
    I prepare my surroundings for success- salad made, rice cakes purchased, meals planned.
    If I depend on willpower, I will not succeed.

Default Mirror willpower

Hi Ladies,
    Before I eat I take my plate of food into my bedroom, I get naked and sit in front of my full length mirror... JUST KIDDING... but that would kill anyones desire to eat huh? No really, I ust try and think, do I really need this... cookie, soda, ice cream... and I put it back and drink a big glass of water and think about if I'm really hungry or if I'm just eating cause I'm bored. Hope that helps!

Post-Pregnancy Weight 215 on 5/5/08
    SW 189 : 7/1/08 - Started Phen
    CW 175 : 7/31/08
    CW 167 : 9/5/08
    CW 164 : 9/30/08
    CW 160 : 11/10/08
    BREAK FROM PHEN 12/1/08 - 1/4/09
    CW 160 : 1/8/09

Mini Goal : #1 Lose 10lbs in a month of July (GOAL MET)
    Mini Goal : #2 165 by 9/19/08 (GOAL MET)
    Mini Goal : #3 160 by 11/10/08 (GOAL MET)
    Mini Goal : #4 155 by 1/30/09
    Goal 125

(NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!)

Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    i just feel so much better about myself when i'm not fat......i hadn't been swimming in years before this summer......i was missing out on SO many experiences with my husband and kids. i couldn't wait for summer to be over so i could hide behind jeans and sweaters. i want to enjoy my time, and not be the fat mom that won't get in the water.
    Well after you got that really nice bathing suit OF COURSE you needed to get in the water girl! Losing weight is so liberating, isn't it ?

i just feel so much better about myself when i'm not fat......i hadn't been swimming in years before this summer......i was missing out on SO many experiences with my husband and kids. i couldn't wait for summer to be over so i could hide behind jeans and sweaters. i want to enjoy my time, and not be the fat mom that won't get in the water.

4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

Bronze Phenster

Default Willpower...

My willpower is shot !!

So here's what I did - I took a short video of myself without a shirt stuffing my face with all sorts of food, I put it on my computer screen as wallpaper / screensaver. !!

That did the trick.

The thing that keeps me motivated is old pictures of myself. At one of my WW meetings they suggested that we find old photos of ourself at our ideal weight and post them in places where we go for food. I found several photos and they are on my refrigerator and on my pantry door. Any time I go to snack on something I have to look at the photos before getting to the food. I know it sounds silly, but it really helps. I look at the photo and realize that the foods I may be tempted to eat aren't worth keeping me from looking like this again. It helps me!
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

Talking

Thanks! I guess I used to do it for my bf and myself and family but then i kinda fell off the wagon and now I can't get back on.

scat - I know what u mean... i tell myself everyday "today is the day!" and it never lasts past lunch.

I guess i used to be able to have a small set back and just make up for it and work harder and not let it get me down, now I have a small set back that turns into a week of eating badly... its like a constant circle. ugh

Ok enough of "downers" I must think positively

THANK YOU for your input - i will just have to be more consistant. I used to be glued to this board each day and now I only get on here every few months. I will just have to do better.

skydreama...

I am just like you, I used to have incredible will power and now its gone and i struggle every day.........I think back to who I was and I think I just wanted it really badly.....I say I want it now but A does not get to B.....its strange....

good luck, i just wnted to tell you that i know how you feel..........................I miss the person that i was.........

Silver Phenster

I used to be at the point you are now. I had zero willpower. I couldn't resist anything put in front of me. I know I lost my willpower due to several things. But I started rebuilding my willpower with small victories. I would make small reasonable daily goals. (I started with only one goal a day and moved up from there.) Such as cutting down on my soda intake. Having a salad before dinner so I wouldn't over eat. Or going for a walk. As time went by these small daily goals became habit. Now I make larger goals. I went from not being able to follow through with eating clean or exercising for a single day to doing it daily without even thinking about it. It took time to build up to where I am now. Although, the move I feel victorious over my weight loss the more willpower and determination I have to meet my ultimate goal of 130 pounds.

Hope this helps.

I am doing it for me and my family....my marrige has been on the down low since I don't feel sexy AT ALL and my daughter at 2 1/2yrs old was always angry with me because I have had no energy to play with her. Luckily, since I started Phen (last week) and I take Seriquel (for my anger issues) and B12 liquid.....I have awesome energy and no appetite to even touch icky junk food!

I know everyone say weight loss doesn't work unless you do it for yourself. BUT I am doing for Me. my husband and my kids. When I lose the willpower to do it for me, I think about how much my husband will love having the women I was when I was thinner, also I don't want my DD to struggle with weight like I have.
    SW 5/24 188.8 started Phen
    5/30 183.2 Week one
    6/6 180 week 2 (179 @home)
    6/13 176 week 3
    6/20 173.9 week 4
    15 pounds GONE
    7/1 171.2
    7/31 172 WTH Start 37.7 tomorrow
    Avatar is me @ my wedding in 2001

Question Where does your willpower come from?

Hey everyone

Quick question... where does your willpower and motivation come from?

I am struggling very hard with that right now... I can't seem to stop myself from grabbing a cookie, or bag of chips even when I am not even hungry.... I can't stay focused on my diet and exercise

Anyone who remembers me from years ago would know that i used to be the Queen of willpower and motivation and would have chopped off my arm before eating fast food or junk. I totally lost it and I can't get it back....

So, I ask you, who are where I used to be.... how are you staying there, what motivates you, how do you stay focused, how do you stick to it ???

Thanks.....

Christy