Hi all ... new here with questions re phentermine and Weight Watchers
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I'm definitely considering this, but I'm going to take a good hard look at everything before I decide whether or not to try it out. Heck, at this point, I have nothing to lose except possibly the weight!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Wink

I am not going to lie. I have take Phentermine so much in my life, I think I don't know who I am without it. I'm not being funny. My whole demeanor and out look changes when I am on it.

With regard to your question about taking it in conjuction with weight loss, I got a personal trainer one time while I was on it and lost 60lbs. I was SMOKING hot. Another time, I did Body For Life, once again, I lost 60 lbs. I have also done it without doing anything but watching my weight.

Phentermine is not going to turn your life around. It's going to help YOU turn your life around. It's not the cure all but it is a boost.

I have had problems sleeping while taking it. I did exactly what you suggested, I took my phen as early in the morning as possible so I could get sleep.

Side effects I have had: unable to sleep, dry mouth, and moodiness. You can control all three.

I have never had to slow myself off the meds but, sometimes, I didn't want to get off and knew I should!

Phentermine is what you make of it. It's a helper not a cure.

Photos
    View albums

Really quick here, what is it about weight watchers that is so much better then just eating healthier? And I'm not being a B****, I do really want to know. A lot of my friends shell out that money to go to the meetings, and buy the food, and still don't eat right at times. They end up not losing the weight and then gettting upset over it. I, of course, know that's their fault, but couldn't they have just done the same without points or meetings or what not? Heck, why not use that money towards buying better things for you? What is it about weight watchers that drew you ladies in? I've seen it do great things for some people, and for others, not so much. I'll give it a chance if it's worthwhile.
    First, love and accept, then change.

Toccara Jones is my avatar and inspiration. :BTW:

Photos
    View albums

Darn, I can't see your questions anymore so I'll do my best to remember, even though I think they all got answered already by the others who replied.

I've been on phen for only a couple of weeks now but it has made a huge difference. I've been on WW a couple of times before. Yes it works, but, not for me. I did lose the weight, don't get me wrong, but I am a compulsive overeater and I would find myself finding the absolute lowest point foods I could find, so that I could eat as much as I possibly could. Those choices weren't always the best. They weren't necessarily filling, because I wanted things that make your blood sugar go way up and then come back down, making you hungry. They weren't even necessarily good! I recently had a few months where I let myself eat whatever and however much I wanted, to really get over the *forbidden* foods for myself, and realize that no matter how much I ate, it didn't change anything. And you know what? The foods that I eat on WW, I don't even LIKE!!! Anyway, I gained some weight but also learned a lot about myself that I couldn't have learned any other way.

Phen for me is wonderful. It is sooooo much easier to focus on making new habits and reinforcing them, making a new lifestyle, when I'm just not that hungry! I'm reading up about how the body processes foods so that I can make the best possible choices that I can make.

The only side effect I've noticed really is dry mouth. Which is awesome 'cuz it helps me drink my water. I just walk on my treadmill at 3.5mph 5 days a week for 30-35 minutes. I drink at least 96oz of water every day. I have been eating things lately like salads with very light dressings, grape nuts, whole wheat bread, protein smoothies, etc. For me I really have to learn to eat for strictly nutrition rather than all the other reasons I was eating, like stress reduction, boredom, etc, etc.

I am also on prozac and effexor for depression. I take mine around 10am, 2 hours after my breakfast.

The Best of Luck!
    Started Phen 7/2/08
    SW: 177
    Height: 5'5"

8/6/08
    8/13/08
    8/20/08
    8/27/08
    9/3/08
    1st Goal: 164 by August 1st (-10lbs in 4 weeeks) MET! 7/19/08
    2nd Goal: 149 by September 28rd (-15lbs)
    GW: 135 by Christmas 2008

Photos
    View albums

I saw my doctor on Monday (actually my OB/GYN) and talked to her about losing weight before I have a hysterectomy. My plan is to have a tummy tuck at the same time. I would like to lose 75-80lbs before that takes place.

I've had success with weight loss medication before. I took the old Metabolife and lost 40-45lbs in 9 weeks on it. I took a break from it and on that break got surprisingly pregnant. (again, and again, and again - long story) So since then I have had three more children. After the last two, I could not lose weight at all, even with a good diet, exercise, and nursing around the clock. After talking to my OB/GYN she felt I was a good candidate with monitoring for taking Phen.

Now to keep this even more in perspective, one of the lead attorneys in the Fen-Phen lawsuit is a family friend. So I am even more aware of how dangerous and costly diet drugs can be on the heart and body. I've read a good bit about Phen so far, and I think there is a wrong way and a right way to take any medication. One, I think you have to be a good candidate - Two, I think you have to be smart about it. I for one am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day, drinking no caffeine, eating a well balanced diet with the use of Weight Watchers, and plan on adding an exercise regimen in the coming weeks. Many people who suffer the harsher side effects suffer because they are getting dehydrated, not eating, and not being honest with themselves. The latter part I mean, if you begin to have health problems - CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Don't wait till you are in severe pain or so bad you need to go to the ER.

I am not discussing my use of Phen over at WW (I do the online program). I think WW is great, but just their plan is not enough for me at this time. I hope that down the road once the weight is gone it will be a good diet plan for me to maintain my goal weight.
    Kim, Mother to 5 working on reclaiming her body

SW 265 started WW, Flex Plan July 7th
    Started Phen July 15
    July total weight loss 10lbs
    August total weight loss 11lbs
    September weight loss 9lbs (while on vacation!)
    October weight loss 10lbs
    CW 223

November Goal 12.5lbs

Photos
    View albums

Welcome!!

I've only been on it for four days, so I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you some of the side effects.

1- I haven't. I'm just changing the way I eat. more veggies, more fruit, more protein, less fat. It's cheaper than paying for south beach meals. ^__~ The Phen is really taking care of my overeating, which was my big problem. I eat relatively healthy, I just eat to much. I hope that helps a little. (I hope...)

2- I've never experienced this. I actually went in to my doctor complaining about chest pains, and that same visit she gave me the Phen.

3- Red flag! I have sleeping problems too, and this really screwed me up. I took my first dose too late, and was up for two days. I suggest taking it very early, like you said.

4- Just once! Yay! Unless you want to split it in half to cover your evenings. Evenings are my bad time, and It's still working pretty well. (plus, I can't afford the chance of insomnia again.)

I'm not sure about five, so i'll let it be. Some side effects that i've had are moodswings, as i just found out, no sleep, dry mouth, nausea, and I have literally forgotten to eat at times. I know, sounds crazy, but I have.
    It may make some existing health conditions worse, but it sounds like your talking to your doctor, so you should be good.
    That's it for me!
    First, love and accept, then change.

Toccara Jones is my avatar and inspiration. :BTW:

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaneene View Post
    Good afternoon everyone.

My doctor and I have discussed me entering his weight loss program (even though I currently do Weight Watchers on my own), but I have some questions I'd like to get answered before I decide what to do.

Years ago, I was doing strictly Weight Watchers and nothing else and went from 230 pounds down to 179. Then I got married and all went to hell in a handbasket. Anyway, now I have 102 pounds I want to drop. I started back with my Weight Watchers in January at 255 pounds ... and over 5 months, only lost 15 pounds. I know that everyone on my WW board says it was great, but it sure didn't feel like it. I can't seem to stay within my points range for the day because within an hour or so I'm starving again. I even tried snacking on fruits and veggies between meals, but it just wasn't working; it seems like the weight just WON'T come off (and yes - I was even exercising about 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day for 5-6 days a week).

So, I started talking with my doctor about the "safe and effective weight loss program" that is office has. Turns out it's basically him prescribing phentermine, and having his patients also watch their diet (as in Weight Watchers or another life-style diet change) and exercise. When he mentioned it, I must admit I winced at hearing that he was prescribing a weight loss drug because I've never taken any kind of "weight loss supplement" in my life and have never heard anything good about them. I even remember the big Fen-Phen scare years back.

So, I'm coming to you guys with some questions, because if I ask them on the Weight Watchers board, I KNOW I will get flamed up/down, left/right, in/out/, forward/backward, and diagonally (the motto is "work the program and the program will work" .... it's not working this time for me though).

First question, does anyone here use any other weight loss/lifestyle change "diet" in addition to using phentermine? Has it helped your losses or do you not see much difference?

Second question, I saw that there was a possible side effect of not being able to exercise as much possibly due to chest pains, etc. Do you experience this or is this one of those "rare but possible" side effects?

Third question, I sometimes have sleeping at night so if I take this first thing in the morning, that shouldn't be a problem - right????

Fourth question, how many times a day is this medication taken?

Fifth question, once you reach your weight loss goal do you have to be "weaned" off of the medication? Or, if you have reached goal and are already off the medication, do you still find you have more energy than in the start of your weight loss journey? (The doctor said that a lot of times he prescribes it to help people just get their metabolism started again; and feels that my metabolism has slowed over the years, but if I get it moving again, it will eventually (through proper diet & exercise), stay in the "higher" range naturally.)

Finally, any other advice, suggestions, warnings, comments you/will can share with a gal struggling to lose weight?

Thanks in advance all!
    Yeah we've learned not to tell your WW people anything about using Phen...

I haven't been on WW or anything, but my diet is basically stuff that is good for me, and I keep track of my calories using spark people (GREAT site). The chest pain thing is one of those rare side effects... I actually have never even heard of it. Everyone I know who takes Phen is encouraged to and does exercise.

Phen definitely helped me last year, before I got preggo with my 2nd kid. I went from 200/210 down to 165/170 in like 3 or 4 months. It works diff with everyone, but you can usually expect good results.

You take Phen once a day - some people that have the hard pill break it in half and take once in the morning and once in the afternoon, but it's one dose a day.

I don't believe you have to be weaned off Phen, but I'm really not sure. I had no problem stopping it - which I did twice. Take it in the morning, you'll have no problem going to sleep at night. Everything else made me jittery, Phen does not. In fact I've taken it in the afternoon a few times and had absolutely no trouble going to sleep.

I actually was really tired my first week of Phen, but a lot of other people have a huge burst of energy when starting it. You just have to be self-motivated to eat right and exercise for anything to work, including Phen. It's not a magic pill, but can have magical results if you work it right!

It worked great with me, and now after my 2nd kid I'm doing it again to get back down to my pre-preggo size, and then I plan to get back on track once I lose that 25/30 lbs of baby weight I have. I'm already eating well, drinking lots of water and powerade zero (no calories, no sugar) and staying as active as I can with a 2 year old and a 3 week old! You have the basis of WW to help you with your diet, I think Phen will really give you a boost. Good luck!

My Valentines Day Goal:

Photos
    View albums

Question Hi all ... new here with questions re phentermine and Weight Watchers

Good afternoon everyone.

My doctor and I have discussed me entering his weight loss program (even though I currently do Weight Watchers on my own), but I have some questions I'd like to get answered before I decide what to do.

Years ago, I was doing strictly Weight Watchers and nothing else and went from 230 pounds down to 179. Then I got married and all went to hell in a handbasket. Anyway, now I have 102 pounds I want to drop. I started back with my Weight Watchers in January at 255 pounds ... and over 5 months, only lost 15 pounds. I know that everyone on my WW board says it was great, but it sure didn't feel like it. I can't seem to stay within my points range for the day because within an hour or so I'm starving again. I even tried snacking on fruits and veggies between meals, but it just wasn't working; it seems like the weight just WON'T come off (and yes - I was even exercising about 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day for 5-6 days a week).

So, I started talking with my doctor about the "safe and effective weight loss program" that is office has. Turns out it's basically him prescribing phentermine, and having his patients also watch their diet (as in Weight Watchers or another life-style diet change) and exercise. When he mentioned it, I must admit I winced at hearing that he was prescribing a weight loss drug because I've never taken any kind of "weight loss supplement" in my life and have never heard anything good about them. I even remember the big Fen-Phen scare years back.

So, I'm coming to you guys with some questions, because if I ask them on the Weight Watchers board, I KNOW I will get flamed up/down, left/right, in/out/, forward/backward, and diagonally (the motto is "work the program and the program will work" .... it's not working this time for me though).

First question, does anyone here use any other weight loss/lifestyle change "diet" in addition to using phentermine? Has it helped your losses or do you not see much difference?

Second question, I saw that there was a possible side effect of not being able to exercise as much possibly due to chest pains, etc. Do you experience this or is this one of those "rare but possible" side effects?

Third question, I sometimes have sleeping at night so if I take this first thing in the morning, that shouldn't be a problem - right????

Fourth question, how many times a day is this medication taken?

Fifth question, once you reach your weight loss goal do you have to be "weaned" off of the medication? Or, if you have reached goal and are already off the medication, do you still find you have more energy than in the start of your weight loss journey? (The doctor said that a lot of times he prescribes it to help people just get their metabolism started again; and feels that my metabolism has slowed over the years, but if I get it moving again, it will eventually (through proper diet & exercise), stay in the "higher" range naturally.)

Finally, any other advice, suggestions, warnings, comments you/will can share with a gal struggling to lose weight?

Thanks in advance all!