first trip to the dentist EVER

I myself have no problems going at all. I had a really hard time smiling in school because of my snaggle tooth on my left side. I wanted to have it fixed so badly. I knew that I would have to get braces one day, but my mom could not afford it so I had to wait till my 20’s to have them put in. I also had to have all 4 wisdom teeth pulled 2 were impacted, as well as 4 more teeth. I had too many teeth and not enough mouth. (My husband would tell you something different) The dentist sent me to this Oral Surgeon, he was sooooo hot. Young, handsome, green eyes, and a red hot Ferrari. I didn’t mind opening my eyes to him. I was kind of out when he did it. But what a man! I had the Braces on for 4 years. But since I was flipping the bill I got the clear ones. So it wasn’t that bad. And know they have a lot of dentist that cater to kids. They get to watch movies and play Nintendo games, while they get there teeth cleaned! They didn’t have that crap when I had to go!!!. All I got is to pick a toy from this 12 x 12 wall!! I think the industry has come a lot way since back in the day.

1/17/08 231. 5' 7" Size-22
    9/5/08 172 - 2 lb to go! Size- 12
    1/27/10 back on

2. Advertising
    advertising

Diamond Phenster

Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    RAQUEL....

well, my son just now turned 2 so he hasn't been yet. my daughter has been twice already, and is getting ready to go again (she's 4). that's another reason i finally got up the nerve to go. i told her she had to go back to the dentist soon and she was throwing a fit. i kept putting off the appointment because I'M scared of the dentist so i felt bad making her go. then, i was like NO WAY am i keeping this cycle going. my mom didn't make me go cus she was scared and i really resent her for it. i just figured it would be a lot easier to make my daughter go and convince her it's going to be OK if i actually know for myself what it's like. if a 4 year old can do it then surely it can't be THAT bad. i've given birth for crying out loud!
    Very cool of you!
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Phen Newbie

You may want to visit a dentist , although it isn't any fun for you, to get your teeth cleaned, but also look for other things that dentists are trained to treat. There's a whole host of things that could be happening in your mouth like oral cancer, receeding gums, the thinning of enamel, etc... It's more than just getting the plaque scraped out (which ****s, I know.)

yeah, now that i'm a parent i don't see how a parent wouldn't take their kid to the dentist! it's sort of neglect, i think. although my mom was a good mother, she didn't do it because she didn't know better, she just didn't want to make me do something i was so terrified of. when i turned 18 i was on my own and had no insurance. plus, i kept thinking when i got x-rays they would find a ton of rotting teeth! i really got lucky. i'm just glad i went before something really bad happened. i have an appointment with an oral surgeon and i'm still nervous about it, but i'd rather go now then when my teeth are killing me or turning black!

4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

Silver Phenster want2lovemybody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    well, three of my wisdom teeth are completely under the gum. i didn't think they existed since i'm 25 and have never seen them! however, i have one wisdom tooth that has grown in, and has been growing in for YEARS. recently, it's started getting a lot of food/plaque stuck in it because my gum comes out over the tooth. so, he said it definitely needs to be removed because it will get absessed more than likely. i'm sure it will because food gets in there EVERY time i eat, and it's hard to get out. that wisdom tooth is really the reason i went to the dentist in the first place. i don't have to get them ALL removed, but since i'll be getting the one out i might as well get them all out. i'll be put to sleep, anyway!
    Well, in that case, I guess you do need to have them removed. I was just hoping you were gonna get lucky ....
    Start weight 173
    Started Phen 7/10/2008
    (7/17/08).....168
    (7/24/08).....168
    (7/31/08)......164.6
    (8/7/08).....164.4
    (8/14/08) .....162.4
    (8/21/08)....161.8
    (8/28/08)...160.6
    (9/4/08).....160
    (9/11/08)....158
    Goal weight 135

I'm so jealous of those of you with good enamel!!! I too hated the dentist for a long time. When I was a child my parents worked (one night and one day) and because of marriage and financial problems it just wasn't the best environment and there was depression present. I didn't *really* get taught how to care for my teeth, it was just up to me. I also don't have great enamel AND my family's molars grow with very deep centers which easily house cavities. I had to have a root canal when I was, oh, I don't know, 10 I think. I was crying every time the dentist hit the exposed nerve and he just kept telling me to stop crying, and actually plugged my nose to try to get me to stop. I was at this appointment alone of course. Rode my bike there and home again. I've had PLENTY of cavities, even in my adult life when I floss EVERY DAY! I've had two jaw surgeries, wisdom teeth out, 4 permanent teeth out (my mouth is too small), braces, and now my gums are receeding and no one knows why!!! I don't have gingivitis and everything looks great, except that a lot of my tooth is showing that should be under gums!!

I love my dentist now and don't mind going. They even give you nitrous oxide for free if you want, to help you relax. I think the *key* is finding a MODERN, nice dentist with a nice staff.
    Started Phen 7/2/08
    SW: 177
    Height: 5'5"

8/6/08
    8/13/08
    8/20/08
    8/27/08
    9/3/08
    1st Goal: 164 by August 1st (-10lbs in 4 weeeks) MET! 7/19/08
    2nd Goal: 149 by September 28rd (-15lbs)
    GW: 135 by Christmas 2008

RAQUEL....

well, my son just now turned 2 so he hasn't been yet. my daughter has been twice already, and is getting ready to go again (she's 4). that's another reason i finally got up the nerve to go. i told her she had to go back to the dentist soon and she was throwing a fit. i kept putting off the appointment because I'M scared of the dentist so i felt bad making her go. then, i was like NO WAY am i keeping this cycle going. my mom didn't make me go cus she was scared and i really resent her for it. i just figured it would be a lot easier to make my daughter go and convince her it's going to be OK if i actually know for myself what it's like. if a 4 year old can do it then surely it can't be THAT bad. i've given birth for crying out loud!

4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs

well, three of my wisdom teeth are completely under the gum. i didn't think they existed since i'm 25 and have never seen them! however, i have one wisdom tooth that has grown in, and has been growing in for YEARS. recently, it's started getting a lot of food/plaque stuck in it because my gum comes out over the tooth. so, he said it definitely needs to be removed because it will get absessed more than likely. i'm sure it will because food gets in there EVERY time i eat, and it's hard to get out. that wisdom tooth is really the reason i went to the dentist in the first place. i don't have to get them ALL removed, but since i'll be getting the one out i might as well get them all out. i'll be put to sleep, anyway!

4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Raquel View Post
    I'm one of those twice a year cleanings kind of people, my hygeniest asks me, how often do you floss you teeth are in great shape.
    I said 2x's .
    She said "twice a day is working for you keep it up" I said, No twice a YEAR, when YOU do it.

I didn't think people were afraid about dentist in this day and age. DBeth, that's GREAT you went and faced it!
    Have you got your kids to go?
    LOL... I think being calcium deficient has wreaked havoc on my teeth. I know for sure there will be implants in my future.

Good job facing your fear Dbeth!
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can! ~Arthur Ashe

Diamond Phenster

I'm one of those twice a year cleanings kind of people, my hygeniest asks me, how often do you floss you teeth are in great shape.
    I said 2x's .
    She said "twice a day is working for you keep it up" I said, No twice a YEAR, when YOU do it.

I didn't think people were afraid about dentist in this day and age. DBeth, that's GREAT you went and faced it!
    Have you got your kids to go?
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Silver Phenster want2lovemybody's Avatar

Congrats on finally getting the nerve to go! I hate the dentist too. Let me ask you though...WHY do you have to have your wisdom teeth removed? I'm 37 and have all 4 of mine. If they are in and in place and aren't giving you any problems, then I say you get a second opinion. (I know, it means going to yet another dentist). My dentist says that they like to "routinely" remove them because it's hard to brush back there and they are more likely to get cavities. Well, I say that when they start to cause problems, THEN we'll see about taking them out. I havent had a cavity in any of them yet, so I must be able to clean them pretty well. Anyway, just wanted to pass that along. No need in having to have oral surgery if it's not necessary. Just don't get caught up in doing something becuase it's "routine".

Tina
    Start weight 173
    Started Phen 7/10/2008
    (7/17/08).....168
    (7/24/08).....168
    (7/31/08)......164.6
    (8/7/08).....164.4
    (8/14/08) .....162.4
    (8/21/08)....161.8
    (8/28/08)...160.6
    (9/4/08).....160
    (9/11/08)....158
    Goal weight 135

That is crazy! I can't believe you have never been to the dentist before! HOWEVER, I too am terrified of the dentist. I would much rather go to the doctor and get a round of shots than get my teeth cleaned at the dentist. I think it has something to do with people digging around in my mouth. Not to mention the sounds that their tools make. I hate the dentist!!!!
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

Debethied! I'm so proud of you. I know how hard that is to face that fear. This was me too. The last time I probably went 5 years between visits. I finally had a good talk w/ myself about what it was I was afraid of. And in some ways I think ti's not surprise that those of us that hide food are also afraid of the dentist! I know some of you are saying what?!

But think about it, something in us tells us to hide food so we don't get yelled at for doing something bad. If we avoid the dentist we can't get yelled at for not going! It becomes one of those things the longer you let it go without going, the less you want to go, because you're that much more afraid of what they are going to do/ say when you go!

But it's not just about straight teeth or cavities! Did you know that the relationship between gum disease and heart attacks is more significant than the relationship between high cholesterol and heart attacks?!

Your teeth can be totally fine as far as cavities go, but if you don't get all the bacteria cleaned out from between your teeth on a regular basis, the oral bacteria is free to be swallowed and moves about your body and seems to have a direct impact on the plaque in our arteries!

I don't know about all you guys, but I've been overweight for most of my life so anything I can do to help prevent something like heart disease I try to do as the odds are already stacked against me with the weight!
    41 down 36 to go!

5/12/08 - 232.5 - Started Phen/lexapro combo
    5/29/08 - 218 -14.5 pounds in 2 weeks
    6/12/08 - 209.5 -8.5 for a total of 23 pounds in the first month!
    7/10/08 - 200 -9.5
    8/07/08 -192 -8
    9/18/08 - 185.5 -6.5
    12/8/08-191 +5.5

I am the same way!!! I hated going to the dentist and i haven't been to the dentist since I was 18 yrs old... Now I am 30. I haven't had a cavity since I was 9... so why the heck go??? My teeth are fine! i will visit if I need to..... lol

I have a huge fear of the dentist... when I was 9, the dentist didn't give me enough novicain (sp?) and i felt every part of it. He refused to give me more, said I was throwing a fit because my mom was in the room. Ya! Right!!... well, 3 days later- I had this HUGE blister looking thing on the side of my gum where he was putting the filling in... it was tender and gross!!!! I couldn't eat, talk, swallow...etc. I had to go to the doc's and get on antibiotics. The doc told me to go back to the dentist and get it fixed, but i refused!!! Then 2 weeks later, the filling he put in fell out. Nice huh? So i ended up going back to a different dentist and he fixed it. But I was so freaked out, that they had to put me out in order to do it.
    In short... I don't go to the dentist until something falls out... LOL I had to go at 18 to get off on my parent insurance & last cleaning.... still no cavities.
    Maybe that fear helped us make sure our teeth are clean.... where as we don't rely on the dentist to clean them... WE do it!! LOL

Congrats on the NO Cavities!! Thats awesome!!!!
    Height= 5'8"
    SW = 259 1/24/08
    CW 2/21/08 = 238 Lost 20 lbs
    CW 3/20/08 = 234 total 24 lbs went off phen
    CW 4/18/08 = 221 toal 33 lbs *reached mini goal
    CW 6/9/08 = TOM & Vacation.... 231 dang it- But it was fun
    CW 7/1/08 = 222
    CW 8/5/08 = 215 -Down 45lbs WOOT WOOT!!!!

Next Mini Goal = 210

Girl I have the same fear!! I have not been to the dentist since I was a little one. I've never had a cavity either( knock on wood) I am going to make an appt though.............I'm just so scared. Kudos to you for facing your fear!

Highest Weight 196
    Lost 50lbs on Phentermine + WW
    Gained 15lbs 8/09-2/10
    Started HCG 2/19/10
    3/19/10 Down 20.6lbs
    Currently on Phase 3 of HCG Diet
    Staring Phase 2 again 4/9

Good for you for facing your fear! Great job!

The last time I went was 1988 when I had my wisdom teeth pulled(all 4 at one time). I took my son to the dentist and he kept commenting on how straight my teeth were and how great they looked(I was the guinea pig for my son's visit). I've never had a cavity either, but my poor son's permanent teeth were coming in behind his baby teeth so the dentist had to pull his two top front teeth.

That's awesome that you don't have any cavities and you've NEVER been to a dentist! I haven't been in a couple years. I really need to go, but at this time I can't afford some of the work that needs to be done. I need a crown or root canal or something expensive..I can't remember what they told me a couple years ago, lol. It hasn't really bothered me so...I'm sure that's part of the reason for me not MAKING the appt to go. I didn't go to the dentist much as a kid either. I have perfect looking teeth..but i've had a few cavities. Everyone always asks me if I've had braces.

Way to go on facing your fear though!

Default first trip to the dentist EVER

yes! that's right..........my mother had a huge fear of going to the dentist and it was passed along to me. i threw a fit when she tried to take me to the dentist at 5 years old, so she didn't make me go....ever! i resent her for it still.

since i never went to the dentist i always took really good care of my teeth at home. i never had a cavity, but i was so afraid if i got an X ray it would show a mouthful of hidden cavities! i finally got some guts and made a dentist appointment a couple of weeks ago. i wasn't supposed to go until september, but someone cancelled their appointment so i got to go today.

the dental assistant cleaned my teeth (which was a weird 1st experience) and she said a lot of people who get their teeth cleaned every 6 months are in worse shape than me. then, the dentist came in to examine me and was saying how my teeth were in such good shape. the assistant told him this was my first time ever going to the dentist and he was like no way!! that made me happy. no cavities! i must have teeth of steel!.............i do have to have my wisdom teeth removed though. SCARY!

i'm going to keep going every 6 months now since i've faced my fear. it just makes me wonder if all the hype about eating candy will rot your teeth, etc. is really true. i've eaten candy for the most part of 25 years and my teeth are in better shape than people who go to the dentist every 6 months? makes u wonder!

4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs