Cauliflower?

Thread: Cauliflower?

It turned out good. The next time I make it I will blend it though to smooth out the texture. Other than that it was delicious.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can! ~Arthur Ashe

2. Advertising
    advertising

WELLWHAT WAS THE FINAL VERDICT?? when i tried it it was good. it tastes almost like the real thing. some people actually like it a little better (i guess depending on where it comes from and who makes it)

2/10/08 - 3/08/08** -19 (Month 1 on Phen)
    3/15/08 - 4/05/08** -31 (Month 2 on Phen)
    4/12/08 - 5/03/08** -35 (Month 3 on Phen)
    5/10/08 - 5/31/08** -45 (Month 4 on Phen)
    6/07/08 - 6/28/08** -49 (Month 5 NO Phen)
    7/12/08- 7/26/08 ** -58 (Month 6 on Phen)

month 5 results
    1st mini goal=215 met
    2nd mini goal=200 met
    3rd mini goal=185 met
    4th mini goal= 170

Diamond Phenster

Ingredients
    8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
    4 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    Snipped fresh chives
    Cooking Instructions
    1. Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes.)

2. Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, butter, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.

Silver Phenster

http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Ca...ts-Wow-in-Gold
    This is the link to the crust. I was using the pizza crust recipe and putting it in a pan and cooking. Then mixing eggs, bacon, cheese (I just brought spinach I'm going to try adding it next time) and putting them in the "crust" after it's already cooked. Then cook again. I don't have a specific recipe...but I use about 6 eggs and a good amount of cheese. I think I put it on 350 for about 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Insearchof, I've never made it but I've eaten it before and mmm mmm delicious!! I had mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese on top and let me tell you..it was too good! It can definitely replace a loaded mashed potato. I had it at a Houlihans restaurant about a yr or more ago, sorry. Then Ruby Tuesdays had a version, but it didn't taste as good. If I knew how to prepare it myself I'd do it. But it sounds like the cauliflower cream recipe from momkat, minus some of the ingredients may get you the base for the mashed cauliflower. If you figure it out, let me know!
    I ended up making a similar version of what MOmkat described and it was good. The texture is a little weird but doable. I did not whip it as I should have. Hubby has not made it home yet so the final verdict is still out but it was good to me. Anyway I am really gonna have to try it with sour cream and bacon bits... boy does that sound yummy.

I may even have to run out and get some more sour cream tonight just to give it a try.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Quote Originally Posted by nume View Post
    I dont know anything about using cauliflower in place of mashed potates but yesterday on Oprah, Jessica Seinfeld was there talking about her cookbook...Deceptivley Delicious( I think that was the name). She was really there telling how to get kidds to eat vegies and them not know it. It seemed very interesting to me. She had many ways to work carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, beets, etc., into all kinds of things from cookies and cakes to pizza and meatloaf. I think if you go to oprah.com or maybe google Jessica Seinfeld, you might just find your answer or learn somthing new and wonderful. I know that I am going to look into this!

Thanks! I did see that episode and I have been meaning to try a few of the recipes. My kids love veggies so they eat them but I like the idea of the veggie nuggets??? I thinks that is what they were called. I will check the website out and see if it is posted there.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Insearchof, I've never made it but I've eaten it before and mmm mmm delicious!! I had mashed cauliflower with bacon and cheese on top and let me tell you..it was too good! It can definitely replace a loaded mashed potato. I had it at a Houlihans restaurant about a yr or more ago, sorry. Then Ruby Tuesdays had a version, but it didn't taste as good. If I knew how to prepare it myself I'd do it. But it sounds like the cauliflower cream recipe from momkat, minus some of the ingredients may get you the base for the mashed cauliflower. If you figure it out, let me know!

Everything happens for a reason

I dont know anything about using cauliflower in place of mashed potates but yesterday on Oprah, Jessica Seinfeld was there talking about her cookbook...Deceptivley Delicious( I think that was the name). She was really there telling how to get kidds to eat vegies and them not know it. It seemed very interesting to me. She had many ways to work carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, beets, etc., into all kinds of things from cookies and cakes to pizza and meatloaf. I think if you go to oprah.com or maybe google Jessica Seinfeld, you might just find your answer or learn somthing new and wonderful. I know that I am going to look into this!

Quote Originally Posted by sassychica View Post
    Where's libby when you need her? I think she was gonna try this...not sure if she ever did though!
    I know right! I hope this turns out well. I LOVE potatoes so I hope that does not cloud my judgement.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Quote Originally Posted by SHAREBEAR29 View Post
    I don't like cauliflower....however I found a low carb recipe on a site someone posted that you can make "bread" out of it. I've been using that recipe to make a crust for a quiche type thing I've been eating for breakfast. It's very good.
    How do you prepare it? I need a change from turkey bacon and boiled egg whites.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Quote Originally Posted by momkat View Post
    I've never tried it but now you've got me interested. I found this online.
    CAULIFLOWER CREAM
    Hands-on time: 30 minutes
    Time to table: 60 minutes
    Makes about 3 cups

Big pot of salted water
    1 large head cauliflower

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 small onion, diced
    2 - 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed

1 cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
    Salt & white pepper to taste
    Grated nutmeg or pimentón to garnish

Preheat oven to 350F.

Bring the salted water to a boil. Cut off the outside leaves of the cauliflower, use knife to cut out the core with a large V. Cut into large florets. Drop into boiling water, cooking til soft, about 10 - 15 minutes. Drain well in a colander.

Meanwhile, heat a small skillet on MEDIUM, add the 1 tablespoon of butter and let melt til shimmery. Add the onion, garlic and bouillon and let cook til onions are just beginning to turn brown.

Combine the onion mixture, cooked cauliflower and sour cream in a food processor and process til smooth. Add the 2 tablespoons of butter and process til smooth. Transfer to a well-greased baking dish and bake til hot all the way through, 15 - 20 minutes.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
    Per Half Cup Serving: 169 Cal (70% from Fat, 8% from Protein, 21% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 14 g Tot Fat; 9 g Sat Fat; 4 g Mono Fat; 9 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb6; 3 g Sugar; 77 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 61 mg Sodium; 32 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers points 4 points

Per Quarter Cup Serving: 85 Cal (70% from Fat, 8% from Protein, 21% from Carb); 2 g Protein; 7 g Tot Fat; 4 g Sat Fat; 2 g Mono Fat; 5 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; NetCarb3; 2 g Sugar; 38 mg Calcium; 0 mg Iron; 31 mg Sodium; 16 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1 point (yes, this is one of those funny recipes where cutting the serving size in half converts the Weight Watchers points from 4 to 1)
    Thanks that sounds yummy. I am going to pop this in the oven right now.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Where's libby when you need her? I think she was gonna try this...not sure if she ever did though!

Silver Phenster

I don't like cauliflower....however I found a low carb recipe on a site someone posted that you can make "bread" out of it. I've been using that recipe to make a crust for a quiche type thing I've been eating for breakfast. It's very good.

I've never tried it but now you've got me interested. I found this online.
    CAULIFLOWER CREAM
    Hands-on time: 30 minutes
    Time to table: 60 minutes
    Makes about 3 cups

Big pot of salted water
    1 large head cauliflower

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 small onion, diced
    2 - 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed

1 cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
    Salt & white pepper to taste
    Grated nutmeg or pimentón to garnish

Preheat oven to 350F.

Bring the salted water to a boil. Cut off the outside leaves of the cauliflower, use knife to cut out the core with a large V. Cut into large florets. Drop into boiling water, cooking til soft, about 10 - 15 minutes. Drain well in a colander.

Meanwhile, heat a small skillet on MEDIUM, add the 1 tablespoon of butter and let melt til shimmery. Add the onion, garlic and bouillon and let cook til onions are just beginning to turn brown.

Combine the onion mixture, cooked cauliflower and sour cream in a food processor and process til smooth. Add the 2 tablespoons of butter and process til smooth. Transfer to a well-greased baking dish and bake til hot all the way through, 15 - 20 minutes.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
    Per Half Cup Serving: 169 Cal (70% from Fat, 8% from Protein, 21% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 14 g Tot Fat; 9 g Sat Fat; 4 g Mono Fat; 9 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb6; 3 g Sugar; 77 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 61 mg Sodium; 32 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers points 4 points

Per Quarter Cup Serving: 85 Cal (70% from Fat, 8% from Protein, 21% from Carb); 2 g Protein; 7 g Tot Fat; 4 g Sat Fat; 2 g Mono Fat; 5 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; NetCarb3; 2 g Sugar; 38 mg Calcium; 0 mg Iron; 31 mg Sodium; 16 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1 point (yes, this is one of those funny recipes where cutting the serving size in half converts the Weight Watchers points from 4 to 1)
    Started Phen 7/2/08
    SW: 177
    Height: 5'5"

8/6/08
    8/13/08
    8/20/08
    8/27/08
    9/3/08
    1st Goal: 164 by August 1st (-10lbs in 4 weeeks) MET! 7/19/08
    2nd Goal: 149 by September 28rd (-15lbs)
    GW: 135 by Christmas 2008

I never heard of it replacing mashed potatoes, but rutabega supposedly can replace potatoes and rather well from what I hear.
    7lbs to goal
    "Girls are like phones. We love to be held, talked too but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected!"~anonymous

I have never used it for mashed potatoes but I have used it to replace rice. I can't quite get the taste just right though i'm working on it. I'm pretty close. Let me know how the mashed taters turn out... my family loves taters!
    Get thin and God Bless! Gina

I swear I'm trapped in that body somewhere!

07/01 - 225 (first day on phen)
    07/05 - 219 (yeah!)
    07/14 - 215.5 (so close to 10 I can taste it!!)

EWWW VEGETABLES!!!! THAT'S RABBIT FOOD!!!
    LOL....I wish I like vegetables maybe it would make dieting easier, I would be able to eat salads in stuff.....BUT NO... I was born to Like CINAMMON ROLLS and CAKE.....!!
    SW-04/18/08-212 -my highest weight EVER
    CW-05/02/08-205.5
    CW-05/17/08-204~~scale is finally moving again!!~~
    CW-6/2/08-203
    CW-6/8/08-199.5~ONEDERLAND!!!!!!~
    CW-6/11/08-199
    CW-7/11/08-196

****MINI GOAL-200****PASSED MY MINI GOAL ON 6/8/08!!!!
    ****MINI GOAL-195****

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Girl View Post

When I was on atkins, I would read cauliflower could replace mash potatoes and that it tasted good...HOWEVER I dont like vegetables unless it is FRENCH FRIES, so I can't help you! Sorry!!!!
    LOL.... Don't like vegetables??? What is wrong with you...
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

When I was on atkins, I would read cauliflower could replace mash potatoes and that it tasted good...HOWEVER I dont like vegetables unless it is FRENCH FRIES, so I can't help you! Sorry!!!!
    SW-04/18/08-212 -my highest weight EVER
    CW-05/02/08-205.5
    CW-05/17/08-204~~scale is finally moving again!!~~
    CW-6/2/08-203
    CW-6/8/08-199.5~ONEDERLAND!!!!!!~
    CW-6/11/08-199
    CW-7/11/08-196

****MINI GOAL-200****PASSED MY MINI GOAL ON 6/8/08!!!!
    ****MINI GOAL-195****

Question Cauliflower?

In an attempt to remove all "white" stuff from my diet, I am using cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. Anyone else using "whipped" cauliflower? This is my first time trying this and not sure what to expect.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2