A little confused about body fat calculator and percentage

I've learned not to pay attention to a lot of that stuff. As long as you feel comfortable in your own skin, that's what counts. My BMI says I should be 120. There's no way I will ever get to that. I'd flip out if I got to 130!

I'm a skim reader too!
    -------------------
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

2. Advertising
    advertising

So I am obviously a skim reader. I apologize for not getting that you and your mom were the same height, I must have skimmed over that the first time. My bad. I read 5-6 inch difference and thought you meant in height. But stilltryin08 has some very good points. She conveyed what I was trying to say in a much better way.

My Perfect Baby

HT: 6'0"
    Pregnant right now...will be posting goals in December to lose the baby weight.
    Main goal: I wanna look good naked and of course have a healthy BMI. At 162 for my height my BMI would be the perfect 22

My understanding is that you have 147lbs currently of LEAN body mass....and 53lbs that would be considered FAT mass.....well not all of that would be "FAT" because if you would lose that then clearly you would weight about 147lbs. You and your mother are put together differently, you have MORE LEAN mass than she does. The LEAN mass isnt what you SHOULD weigh. It is only what your LEAN BODY WEIGHT IS CURRENTLY at time of measurement. It has nothing to do with goal/ideal body weight, as we are all going to be put together different and your mom has probably lost some lean muscle over the years....

Does that help?
    7lbs to goal
    "Girls are like phones. We love to be held, talked too but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected!"~anonymous

She said that she and her mom were the same height... I don't have any idea. My understanding is that there are basically 3 fairly accurate ways to measure this. One is a water displacement test... said to be the most accurate. The second is with a caliper that they use to measure... I believe I read that this is the second most accurate. The third way is to get on a scale that measures this... it sends a signal through from one foot to the other and it will give you your stats. I want to do the third one, but the scale that is an ok price that I found won't work for me until I lose another 23 lbs. Oh well.

Vixena makes a good point about the needing some fat on your bones. So, no, your mother should not weigh 102.

One reason for the possible difference might be your body frame. Go to http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php and find out if you have a small medium or large frame. You may have a large or medium frame and your mom has a small or medium frame. Her ideal weight may be lower than yours. That would mean that your body frame is heavier than hers. That means that you will always be heavier than her. That is ok. Everyone is different.

I hope that helped. I am not an expert though. I just wanted to take a shot at it. Keep up the good work.
    Keep on Keepin' on!

Height makes a huge difference! And are they saying you should weigh 147? Or do they mean that is your body with no fat? Cause everyone needs a little fat on their bones. I am confused too! But yeah the difference with you and your mom is definitely the height. If you are taller you should weigh more than her.

My Perfect Baby

HT: 6'0"
    Pregnant right now...will be posting goals in December to lose the baby weight.
    Main goal: I wanna look good naked and of course have a healthy BMI. At 162 for my height my BMI would be the perfect 22

Default A little confused about body fat calculator and percentage

Okay, so I took a home body fat test online and it's supposed to be accurate. I'm a little confused at the accuracy though. Both my mom and I did measurements and she is the same height as I am. I currently weigh 200 (went up a little) pounds and it says my body fat percentage is 25.9 percent body fat with 53 pounds of fat , 147 of lean. My wrist size is 6.75 inches, calves are 16, waist is 38 and hips are 47, thighs are 26 and I am 25. My mom however weighs 157, her hips are 43, thighs are 24, calves are 13, waist is 33.75 and her wrist are 6.25. She is 57 and it says her body fat percentage is 34.8 percent body fat, with 54 pounds of fat and 102.4 pounds of lean. I'm having a little trouble finding the accuracy when to me it doesn't make much sense. Why should she weigh 104 pounds and I should weigh 147.1. Maybe someone can elaborate because I'm confused. The only thing I can figure is maybe because I am bigger and have near the same inches but there's like 5-6 inch difference between us and I weigh more. Enlighten me please. It says it's supposed to be accurate but I don't see where the accuracy shows. To me 104 seems rather thin and 147 seems rather heavy. Maybe it's just me. What do you think?

Also have to say that I've come a way if it is correct since the beginning as it says I had 28.5 percent body fat and now it is 25.9