Please help my broke a**
    Photos
    View albums

I'm sorry you're in that situation... I can't believe how much groceries have gone up its crazy!!

Before I moved in with my boyfriend me and my brother (roommate) would get snack stuff and some regular foods at big lots for pretty cheap. I would just be careful to get stuff that is securely sealed bugs cannot get into because im sure that stuff sits in warehouses for long periods.

We don't have these in Vegas but in Cali we had 'grocery outlet' stores, they were super cheap most were off brands but sometimes there was non generic stuff.

Oh and the dollar store, dollar tree, or 99 cent only stores have snacks at the very least.. just check the expiration dates!

Good luck!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Kroger is the same as City Market......or King Scoopers

May 6 - 184
    May 9 - 182.5
    May 20 - 177.5
    June 5 - 175
    June 30 - 168
    July 2 - 166. 5
    July 6 - 164.5
    July 9 - 162
    July 31 - 158
    Aug 4 - 157.5
    Aug18 - 155

Picture taken on July 12, 2008

My Weight Chart:
    >

Photos
    View albums

Default Memories

Quote Originally Posted by JustKim View Post
    Another way to cut the costs of groceries is to go earlier in the day. At Kroger, they put their reduced items out early morning and all the grannies get it because they're the only ones shopping so early. I got a 2lb pack of chicken breast tenderloin for $3.50 the other morning.
    I haven't heard of a Kroger in years! I am from Texas, born and raised! I moved to CO about 6 years ago and guess what? There are seasons here! LOL

Thank you for the info!

Photos
    View albums

Another way to cut the costs of groceries is to go earlier in the day. At Kroger, they put their reduced items out early morning and all the grannies get it because they're the only ones shopping so early. I got a 2lb pack of chicken breast tenderloin for $3.50 the other morning.
    5/08 SW-270
    8/7/08 CW 239-Taken off Phen by MD
    9/5/08 CW 230-Life without Phen Challenge

Goals, schmoals. I just come here to talk, and if I lose weight, that's great!

Same place next year? NOT!!!

Photos
    View albums

We're like that alot, and even when we're not I still shop like we are.
    Spaghetti and garlic bread
    Burritos/Tacos/Taco Salad
    Pigs in a blanket(hot dogs/cheese/cresant rolls)
    Chicken nuggets(made with boneless chix breasts and shake n bake)**My Fav**
    Cheeseburger macaroni(mac & cheese with hamburger in it)..tastes better than ham. helper
    Pizza(Chef-boy-rdee cheese pizza kit/add your own toppings)
    Angel hair pasta w/parmesan cheese(rice-a-roni brand) with brocolli and chicken(I mix it all together)
    **Just some of the things we live on. It can all be healthy...just remember portion control. I'm not doing low carb(or hubby and son would never eat), just counting cals.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Agape View Post
    There's a website. http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ Here, there's a list of sites in different cities and states where people who are on a fixed income, or actually anyone, can go to these sites and order food for a family of 4-6 for about a month for less than $50.00. My BFF's mother was telling me about it the other day, and maybe it's just a blessing that was for me to pass on. So, check that out and perhaps you'll be able to survive at least until something comes around for you or your husband, and believe me...IT WILL!!

Great minds think alike!!! I was searching for the web address and when I came back, you had posted. I use Angel food every now and then. I haven't gotten anything not fresh from them.
    Weight before Phen 175
    SW - 170 (started Phen 4/15/08)
    CW - 160 (4/29/08)
    CW - 152 (5-22-08)
    CW - 147 (6-9-08)
    cw- 133 (9-28-08)
    CW- 125.5 (11-13-08)
    CW - 123 (12-20-08)
    GW - 120

Photos
    View albums

Thank you, Ladies!!! I will check these out! I am trying to stay strong and not freak out! I just remind myself we have a roof over our heads, a car and enough money to keep gas in it!

MRSTINY - thankyou! I totally forgot about that program! I am a great cook and I miss cooking for my boys!

Photos
    View albums

There's a website. http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ Here, there's a list of sites in different cities and states where people who are on a fixed income, or actually anyone, can go to these sites and order food for a family of 4-6 for about a month for less than $50.00. My BFF's mother was telling me about it the other day, and maybe it's just a blessing that was for me to pass on. So, check that out and perhaps you'll be able to survive at least until something comes around for you or your husband, and believe me...IT WILL!!
    Never Let a Dark Past,Cloud A Bright Future!

SW: 5/1/08= A whopping 372.3lbs

5/1/08-6/20/08= 354.0 lbs (18lb loss)

Do you see any difference?? Not much....

Photos
    View albums

Default Found the website

Here the website you can go to and learn more about it and where in Denver you can go. They also have a menu so you can get an idea of what they have. I hope this helps you and your family out. It helped me when I was in need.

http://www.sharecolorado.com/

Mrstiny

May 6 - 184
    May 9 - 182.5
    May 20 - 177.5
    June 5 - 175
    June 30 - 168
    July 2 - 166. 5
    July 6 - 164.5
    July 9 - 162
    July 31 - 158
    Aug 4 - 157.5
    Aug18 - 155

My Weight Chart:
    >

Photos
    View albums

Default Making ends meet

So sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried getting help through the Government? Or get on the SHARE program? I live in Craig, northwestern part of Colorado and when I first moved here, I got involved in the SHARE program. They sell food really cheap, like fruits and vegetable, meat and cheese, and so on. All you have to do is volunteer your time to help out the community. I help out at Senior Dinners at the V.F.W. or an elderly person who needs help around the house. You don't have to prove the time you put in, it's based on the honor system....they should have the SHARE program in Denver. Ours is held at the Church. They do this once a month. Look in the local paper or look on the internet. I'll try to look too for you. I hope this helps you out. I also make cakes at home for birthday party or any celebrations to help out in my house, since I don't work any more. I stay home with my little guy. Babysitting just cost too much and you don't know who you can trust anymore. You can see me cakes on myspace if you like.

Things will get better.....just stay positive and things will work out. Chin up

Mrstiny

May 6 - 184
    May 9 - 182.5
    May 20 - 177.5
    June 5 - 175
    June 30 - 168
    July 2 - 166. 5
    July 6 - 164.5
    July 9 - 162
    July 31 - 158
    Aug 4 - 157.5
    Aug18 - 155

My Weight Chart:
    >

Photos
    View albums

Tuna is the one thing that comes to mind right now. Grocery ARE expensive, there are six of us so I totally get what you are saying. I hope you fiance finds work soon.
    HEIGHT 5' 10"
    HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! 252

STARTING OVER!!
    CW 232.2

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can! ~Arthur Ashe

Photos
    View albums

Try salads (w/out all the fixins of course). When I am low in funds I grab a head of leaf lettuce ($1.44 here in Oklahoma) boil an egg and chop it up, maybe throw n some raisins, few croutons and I keep 2% sharp cheddar in the block form, and I just cut a little off and cut into pieces for my salad. Weight watchers meals are good also, I take em to work and they are only $1.96 at walmart. Throw n some yogurt with that and that's a meal. Good thing is if your taking phen/phend your appetite is cut so you don't have to worry about it not filling you up.

Photos
    View albums

since it summer you can find little stands everywhere that sell fresh fruitsn& vegtables pretty cheap. we have a few fle markets close to me also that people come and sale there produce at. since people have grown it themselves there is no mark up value.
    url=http://www.extrapounds.com/] [/url]

Vacation last year

SW- 193 ibs 4/28/08
    CW- 184 ibs 5/05/08
    CW- 181 ibs 5/12/08
    CW- 177 ibs 5/19/08
    CW- 173 ibs 6/02/08
    CW- 169 ibs 6/10/08
    CW- 168 ibs 6/24/08 (VACATION)
    CW- 158 ibs 8/11/08
    CW- 158 ibs 9/16/09 (STARTING AGAIN)

Photos
    View albums

Default Please help my broke a**

Hello! I need some advise. My fiance was laid off about 3 months ago and still hasn't found permanent work. We are really struggling to stay above water and I just don't make enough to support 3! So, my question...anyone have ideas of cheap/healthy things to eat?

I eat great when we have money for food and I perfer to eat healthy food. It seems like more and more we only have money for ramen noodles (hate them) or canned soup or nasty $1 pizza. So much sodium - hate it! Any advise would be much appreciated!!! I am so glad I have such a lovely group to lean on!