Question about Elevated BP
    Phen Newbie

I see your weight is right around 200 - I don't know how tall you are but if you have "bigger" arms, you need to make sure they use the "big" cuff not a regular size cuff because the regular size cuff on a too big arm can artifically inflate your BP reading (I'm also a RN). When I was pregnant, I almost was put in the hospital for high BP when it was the cuff the dumb medical assistant was using. I made them FIND the big cuff and gave them a good "edumacation" that big people are entilted to have accurate BP readings too.

PS I was 280 ish and 5'8" and have pretty beefy upper arms.

I would think a weight loss clinic would KNOW this, but who the heck knows witih some dimwits that are hired.

2. Advertising
    advertising

I suggest leaving home really early, so you won't get stressed over traffic or possibly being late. Once you're there, you should have plenty of time to relax. I was afraid the first time I went to the clinic for the same reason, but I took the day off from work (I'm an OR nurse, so my B/P goes through the roof dealing with crazy surgeons) and my reading was fine. Good Luck!
    5/08 SW-270
    8/7/08 CW 239-Taken off Phen by MD
    9/5/08 CW 230-Life without Phen Challenge

Goals, schmoals. I just come here to talk, and if I lose weight, that's great!

Same place next year? NOT!!!

The second #-100 is considered "high", anything over 90 they start getting concerned.
    A few things you can do-like the other poster said, avoid salt, increase your water, when you get there take a few deep breaths and calm down. If you have to walk down a hallway and then they take your bp right away, ask them to come back and take it again after you have sat there for a little while. My nurses have even done this before.
    When I started phen, my docs only concern was my bp. Mine normally runs 110/70, and when I'm in shape even lower. Last week when I had it checked she took it 4 times to make sure she was getting the correct reading because it was so low!
    Thats another thing, don't let them inflate the cuff more than once on your arm. If they pump it up, then start to let it out, then pump again, or completely do it, then want to retake it, make them do the other arm. The repeated inflating increases the pressure in your arm and gives a false reading.
    Even if it is borderline they may still give you a script, but will just want to monitor your bp by having you come in every week. And once you drop a few pounds there'll be no problem probably at all! Good luck!
    n8rgrl

I think my biggest obstacle will be keeping myself from getting all wound up - easier said then done!
    6/19/08 - Started Phen
    6/26/08 - -2.8 lbs
    =====
    Mini-Goal = 194 lbs (-20)
    Ultimate Goal = 125 lbs

try avoiding salt until your apt. Drink lots of water and avoid anything with caffeine. Your bp is not too high, you will be fine! Good Luck

Default Question about Elevated BP

In the past when I would go to the doctor for [insert ailment here] my bp was always somewhere in the 110-130/70-90 range. Slightly elevated but he's never said anything about needing to be on medication for it. The past 2 or 3 times I've been in it's been in the 120-140/80-95 range.

I also check it at home and at the store once a week or so and it's usually around 115-130/70-80 range. This afternoon I went to the oral surgeon for a consult and the nurse said my BP was 125/100! I'm pretty sure that the spike in my BP is caused by my weight + anxiety/stress. This past week has been fairly stressful, and I know I was nervous about this consult.

Anyway, I'm supposed to go to a weight loss clinic tomorrow (about 90 minutes from me) and one of the things the nurse told me over the phone is you cannot have high blood pressure. Now I'm scared to death that they're going to tell me my BP is too high to be on phen and I"ll have wasted a tank of gas + baby sitting fees + a clinic visit.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have been in this situation and if so, did the dr/clinic still prescribe phen or...?
    6/19/08 - Started Phen
    6/26/08 - -2.8 lbs
    =====
    Mini-Goal = 194 lbs (-20)
    Ultimate Goal = 125 lbs