Lap Band?!

Thread: Lap Band?!

Photos
    View albums

I've considered bariatric surgery for so long, I actually gave myself a deadline to lose weight or go under the knife. I've seen failures and successes (I'm an OR nurse.) Actually, three nurses at my job had surgery (two had RenY, one had Lapband). Slowly they've all gained some back, but not to where they were before. I wouldn't say they eat healthy, and I never hear them talk about working out. I think when it comes off so easily and quickly, we lose sight that we still have to work at it. It's such a cliche, but it's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. Good Luck! I'm hoping the fear of going under anesthesia will make me lose weight, because I'm terrifed of having surgery.
    5/08 SW-270
    8/7/08 CW 239-Taken off Phen by MD
    9/5/08 CW 230-Life without Phen Challenge

Goals, schmoals. I just come here to talk, and if I lose weight, that's great!

Same place next year? NOT!!!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by LoSingWeightin08 View Post
    My mom had Lap Band in december.. so I kno first hand wut its like. She prepped for almost 2 years just to get the surgery b/c our insurance company @ the time had certain req's: 6 month diet plan supervised w/ a doctor, psych eval, meet w/ a nutritionist, ekg i think & a couple others i cant remember. In May she finally got approved but then my father decided to switch jobs! And our new insurance is c r a p so they didn't cover the surg. In the end she decided to pay for it herself.

THE SURGERY IS NOT A QUICK FIX. It is merely a tool that will make u eat less, and the weight loss will be MUCH slower compared to gastric bypass. Just simply having the band will make u lose weight initially b/c for the first couple weeks ur on a liquid diet and then a soft food one, but then ur on ur own. Exercise is key!!! I think lap band is safer than GB but if u want to lose weight fast than GB is a better choice, but just know with quick weight loss comes the possibility of saggy skin. One of my mom's friends had the lap band in `06 and lost over 120lbs. U have to change the way u eat completely though, u won't be able to eat everything u did b4 the surg. If u want to have lap band than I say go for it, but in my opinion phen is as good of a choice as lap band. I also think that lap band is better for women who want to have children down the line too b/c from what I see, if u get preg after having GB, u stretch out ur pouch & gain weight like Carnie Wilson did.

How much has your mom lost? Does she ever regret getting it done?
    *Amber*

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four
    unless there are three other people." ~ H.G. Welles

Stay away from that icecream cake!

Photos
    View albums

My mom had Lap Band in december.. so I kno first hand wut its like. She prepped for almost 2 years just to get the surgery b/c our insurance company @ the time had certain req's: 6 month diet plan supervised w/ a doctor, psych eval, meet w/ a nutritionist, ekg i think & a couple others i cant remember. In May she finally got approved but then my father decided to switch jobs! And our new insurance is c r a p so they didn't cover the surg. In the end she decided to pay for it herself.

THE SURGERY IS NOT A QUICK FIX. It is merely a tool that will make u eat less, and the weight loss will be MUCH slower compared to gastric bypass. Just simply having the band will make u lose weight initially b/c for the first couple weeks ur on a liquid diet and then a soft food one, but then ur on ur own. Exercise is key!!! I think lap band is safer than GB but if u want to lose weight fast than GB is a better choice, but just know with quick weight loss comes the possibility of saggy skin. One of my mom's friends had the lap band in `06 and lost over 120lbs. U have to change the way u eat completely though, u won't be able to eat everything u did b4 the surg. If u want to have lap band than I say go for it, but in my opinion phen is as good of a choice as lap band. I also think that lap band is better for women who want to have children down the line too b/c from what I see, if u get preg after having GB, u stretch out ur pouch & gain weight like Carnie Wilson did.
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3

Starting over again!!!!

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I would jump on that in a second - and VOW never to go back to the way of eating that got me to this weight, and I'd be stoked ......................................

having said that - this I know first hand from people who've had the surgical weight loss ... if you do not learn how to eat healthy (ie: portions, good calories vs. empty) with time - you DO gain the weight back.
    It took it a while to creep back on, but it did - the fat cells were still there and they got big again. Now on top of the original "over weight" issues they had, now they feel like failures because they were SO GUNG HO and looked what happened.
    NOT saying this will happen to you, just sharing my experience.
    Hi, I'm Roc & I'm on the weight loss rollercoaster as well as a 42 yr. old - mother of 3 year old twins. An entirely different rollercoaster
    1/9/08 228
    1/19 210
    2/09 215
    2/12 210
    3/11 206
    3/21 200
    4/13 199
    5/18 198
    6/6 201
    7/10 210
    7/21 199
    8/26 199

Photos
    View albums

I iknow someone that had it done and she didn't really get the results that she was hoping for, probably because she is an emotional eater..her eating didn't have to do with hunger so much as emotions, so she still ate a hefty amount of food and all the wrong things. I'm not telling you this to discourage you, I think you already know that there is no easy way to get thin no matter WHAT ..it is work....that is great that your insurance will cover it, maybe by the time you are scheduled for the surgery you wont' need it..
    I did it!! Reached goal and have been here for quite a while thanks to low carb eating and working out like crazy! Phen didn't work for me, but that isn't to say that there aren't other ways. God bless all of you!

[Obsession is the greatest form of flattery.........

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Agape View Post
    I've heard pros and cons, being that I, too, at one point was looking into this surgical procedure. My sister's sister, just was approved for LapBand, and after months of preparation (i.e. going to seminars, bloodwork, watching heartrate, doctor's visits, things REQUIRED for this procedure) her doctor informed her that she was not going to get the RESULTS that she really wanted and actually suggested that she actually have Gastric Bypass and now she's prepping for that. She's wayyyyyyy smaller than me, and she's only about 225-230 pounds and about 5'7-5'8 in height, 28 years old. However, she's always been small, but all of a sudden blew up. So, she's not happy with herself right now. I would really like to lose it on my own as well, but surgery may be the only way I see results being that I'm a VERY heavy woman. My insurance, doesn't cover it. I don't assume. I'll have to check into it. I have Blue Cross, Blue Shield.....But for right now, I'm going to stick to Phen, do my best to see if it works for me....and let surgery be a thought of the past.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. Keep us updated!

Hmm, I wonder why the doctor told your sister she would not get the results she wanted. 225 is not extremely obese for being 5'8 at least in my opinion it's not. Did she tell you why the doctor said that? Also, in doing my research for the surgery, I found that BCBS usually covers this procedure. I'm proud of you for trying to lose the weight w/out surgery. I'm hoping I can do the same.
    *Amber*

Photos
    View albums

YOU KNOW I WORK IN A HOSPITAL I HAVE SEEN GOOD AND BAD RESULTS FROM THEM, BUT WHEN THEY WEE BAD THEY WERE BAD. I THINK IF YOU CAN LOOSE WITH THE PHEN THAN KEEP DOING SO. BECAUSE WHY PAY ALL THAT MONEY WHEN YOU R DOING THE SAME THING WITH THE PHEN, CUTTING BACK THE FOOD YOUR EATING, MAKING BETTER CHOICES IN YOUR DEIT, LEARNING HOW TO EAT. THE SAME THING YOU WOULD DO ON THE LAP BAND FOR LESS MONEY PAIN AND RISK OF LIFE OR HEALTH.
    Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil say "oh sh%t! that B%tch is up!

Photos
    View albums

I've heard pros and cons, being that I, too, at one point was looking into this surgical procedure. My sister's sister, just was approved for LapBand, and after months of preparation (i.e. going to seminars, bloodwork, watching heartrate, doctor's visits, things REQUIRED for this procedure) her doctor informed her that she was not going to get the RESULTS that she really wanted and actually suggested that she actually have Gastric Bypass and now she's prepping for that. She's wayyyyyyy smaller than me, and she's only about 225-230 pounds and about 5'7-5'8 in height, 28 years old. However, she's always been small, but all of a sudden blew up. So, she's not happy with herself right now. I would really like to lose it on my own as well, but surgery may be the only way I see results being that I'm a VERY heavy woman. My insurance, doesn't cover it. I don't assume. I'll have to check into it. I have Blue Cross, Blue Shield.....But for right now, I'm going to stick to Phen, do my best to see if it works for me....and let surgery be a thought of the past.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. Keep us updated!
    Never Let a Dark Past,Cloud A Bright Future!

SW: 5/1/08= A whopping 372.3lbs

5/1/08-6/20/08= 354.0 lbs (18lb loss)

Do you see any difference?? Not much....

Photos
    View albums

Question Lap Band?!

So....I just found out today that my insurance company will cover the Lap Band surgery! They previously did not cover it, so I was shocked when I called and asked them (AGAIN) today. It's not for certain that I'll even be approved, and if I am approved I'll probably have to wait months and months just to get scheduled. In the meantime, I'm still taking the Phen along w/ diet and exercise. Who knows, maybe by the time I get an answer from the insurance company I'll still be steadily losing weight and I won't need the surgery. Anyway, this is good news for me. Any thoughts? Anyone had this procedure or know someone who has?
    *Amber*