Do you HAVE to eat?

LOL.... sorry but thats funny....BUT I have to say," yes ma'm".. you do have to eat..NOT because of a starvation mode...if you don't eat you lose..period. But at what physical cost???? Food is fuel and not just fuel NUTRIENTS, minerals and vitamins thaT MAKE UP AND SUSTAIN OUR BODIES..and if you do not eat, your digestive system shuts down....eating prompts the stomach to produce acid and gastric juices for digestion and elimination .........PROPER, HEALTHY body functions.Phens goal is to help you be able to only eat what your body needs and not to over indulge. To say not to worry about eating on purpose.............Is absurd! PERIOD!!!
    To do that......is literally drug induced Anorexia, to think you shouldn't eat alters your healthy eating views..............you may not look like a concentration camp victim any time soon.....I sure wouldn't..too much junk in my trunk!!!
    But your body will SUFFER the deprivation of nutrients, vitamins etc..whether or not you take a multivitamin...............acid will burn your stomach and esophogus. and start an endless cycle of health issues.
    No this will not happen over night and you will probably feel and look good temporarily.
    This kind of thinking..(of it being ok not to eat).....Sends any one to the other end of an eating disorder.The goal here is to develop HEALTHY EATING habits.............. and view and USE food in a healthy way.
    I agree if you aren't starving, do not think in terms of a huge meal... as someone else said fruit, a granola bar, some cheese or protein even a slim fast maybe but have solid foods also..Just keep your stomach and intestines moving. Losing weight is the immediate issue here, I know... but your long term maintenance and most importantly is your health. would you let your child husband or even pet go without food??? No.., Love yourself also..........
    ]before 220-225
    now 141
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

2. Advertising
    advertising

Quote Originally Posted by RH584 View Post
    I have had the starvation issue. I was burning more calories than I took in with my exercise routine and at my weight I need quite a few caloreies just to keep going. I was lacking so many calories that you would think it would cause me to lose weight. Instead I hit a plateau and was exessively hungry all the time. I have reduced my exercise and increased my calorie intake a bit. Now, I am losing weight again and it is coming off at a good rate. Just use your judgement.
    Agrees with her!! Same thing in here!
    What I want for Xmas is... an Onederland!!!

almost!!!

I'm sorry but i dont agree with your dr, you need to be taking in atleast 1200 cals a day or your body is going to go into starvation mode yes you will loose weight fast but at what cost eat.
    Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil say "oh sh%t! that B%tch is up!

BronzyBella

Yes I eat. I do have to force myself though. But I try to get in 3 healthy meals a day because of the starvation "myth" and for energy. I also do it because I am try to lose this weight and keep it off. I'm a training my body to take in the amount of food I plan on eating once I'm off Phen and I reach my goal weight. Therefore my body won't go into shock and start gaining weight when I go back to eating like a "normal person." If you continue to NOT eat you may lose weight...but once you get back on Phen you WILL get your appetite back and start eating again. Then you body will pack on the weight fast because it wasn't used to having all of those foods and calories.

Please eat....it is a part of life...and it is not a bad thing. Just make sure you have at least 3 meals a day and make sure they are healthy. I am still losing a good amoung of weight and I don't starve myself.

Silver Phenster

Agreed delako. I think that 1000 calories is "what I need" each day. I have a very slow metabolism. I really think that I will eat that way for the rest of my life. Even when I stop phen, I have been naturaly eating that amount without "trying"
    I've got arms and legs on my body...

www.myspace.com/notjustanykatie

I have read both: To eat or not to Eat....
    My personal experience is that when i don't eat, I am sluggish, tired, no energy even with phen. I get depressed. I've been told (by my dietitian) that when you don't eat AND you are exercising, your body will actually use your lean protein for energy.
    So even when I don't feel hungry... I make myself eat something little, like a bite of something... like a 1/2 apple or a bite of a banana, etc. Just so my body has something.
    I have also spoke to an endocronologist (sp?)... and he also said something interesting... he said that everyone is different and burns calories at there own weight. Some people only require 500 cals a day in order for them to loose weight... some need 2000. It is different for every person and it's like a 'game' that, that person has to figure out. - I thought this was amazing! Because it was the first time that I heard something like that. Everything else tells you "you need 'X' amount of calories"... blah blah blah.... it made me think, the last time I was loosing weight I wasn't eating a lot and exercising like crazy!!! So that's what I am back to now. And it's working. But I just make sure that I do have something in my system just to fight off the attack of the 'stavin-marvin' episodes!!! =D

Hope this helps
    Height= 5'8"
    SW = 259 1/24/08
    CW 2/21/08 = 238 Lost 20 lbs
    CW 3/20/08 = 234 total 24 lbs went off phen
    CW 4/18/08 = 221 toal 33 lbs *reached mini goal
    CW 6/9/08 = TOM & Vacation.... 231 dang it- But it was fun
    CW 7/1/08 = 222
    CW 8/5/08 = 215 -Down 45lbs WOOT WOOT!!!!

Next Mini Goal = 210

Silver Phenster

When I live off of protein shakes for a day or 2 a week I lose 5 lbs in one week. I have been losing 5 lbs a week for several weeks. I get about 1000 cals a day and burn 450 at the gym every night. It works for me. I feel healthy and happy. I say listen to your body. I know phen alters your body signals but lets face it...if you're fat..they weren't normal to begin with.
    I've got arms and legs on my body...

www.myspace.com/notjustanykatie

I dont want to eat - if I have half a granola bar I am so full that I actually have cramps.

When I dont eat within a day or two I become exhausted. I dont really go with the starvation thing BUT your body does need something to burn off.

I'd say do what you want to do as long as you feel ok - but be careful of the all water and no food thing......your stomach will build acid that will give you heartburn and bad breath and you will flush all the vitamins out of your system with so much water.....take some vitamins
    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst, for they are sticking to their diets.

I agree with Goth. My body tells me when I need to eat. This morning I went for a long run & some may say that I should have refueled my body this morning. I wasn't hungry until about an hour ago & thats when I decided to eat.

After I went off the phen, I no longer restricted myself to 1200 calories. I eat when I am hungry & I rarely snack. I no longer bring snacks to the office. If I really want something, I have to leave my office & go to the Walgreens or convenience store across the street. A few weeks ago, one day I ate everything but the kitchen sink. I am not sure what the heck was wrong with me, but I think I got it out of my system & I'm back on track just making better choices.

Height 5'7
    SW - 178 (2-20-08)
    GW- 155
    Lost 16.4 lbs in 6 weeks on phen
    Lost additonal 9.6 after phen from 4-9-08 to 6-20-08
    Below goal & size 8 in most things 6-20-08

DESPERATELY TRYING TO MAINTAIN!

LIFE AFTER PHEN CHALLENGE

[[/url]

Another thing to remember is that just because you don't eat and you lose a ton of weight doesn't mean it is healthy. You are probably losing more than just fat and you are most likely not getting the nutrients that you need.
    Keep on Keepin' on!

I have had the starvation issue. I was burning more calories than I took in with my exercise routine and at my weight I need quite a few caloreies just to keep going. I was lacking so many calories that you would think it would cause me to lose weight. Instead I hit a plateau and was exessively hungry all the time. I have reduced my exercise and increased my calorie intake a bit. Now, I am losing weight again and it is coming off at a good rate. Just use your judgement.
    Keep on Keepin' on!

you must eat to lose weight that is the fuel that keeps the fire burning to keep that metsbolism going. From what I have read because I wasnt eating enough is that you should eat every 3 hours six small meals to avoid starvation. I mean everyone body is different but to maximize your results please eat. If you look at all the diets that are considered to be successful what is the main thing you do? EAT... on the same note it is what you eat... I am increasing my meals and upping my excercise and water intake and I will keep you posted in my results! Goodluck and I would say try both ways and use which one you think best suit you! The choice is yours!

Starting Weight: 197

Mini Goal 10 pounds

WEEK 1: 193 (lost 4 lbs)
    WEEK 2: 189.5
    WEEK 3: 192
    WEEK 4:
    WEEK 5:
    WEEK 6:

10 POUND CHALLENGE BY AUGUST FIRST! IM ON MY WAY!:

To add to the starvation mode nonsense, and this is going to sound horrible but....

When I read on here about the 'starvation mode' and how your body will shut down and you won't lose weight..blah blah blah, all I can picture is the concentration camp victims that were starved and how skinny they were. I KNOW IT'S A HORRIBLE THING TO PICTURE....I can't even stand to watch anything about WWII because of that. My point is...you will still lose weight even if you don't eat.

I'm another one that don't buy into the starvation mode theory. Check out this article:

The Starvation Myth
    Article By: The Weight Watchers Research Department

The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.

Metabolism Slows During Calorie Restriction
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight-loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2 ¼ to 2 ½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.

It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss
    The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.

Weight Watchers Approach Box
    The POINTS® Weight-Loss System is designed to provide a caloric intake that supports a healthy rate of weight loss, produces a minimal reduction in metabolism and avoids inducing too-high levels of dietary restraint.

FOOTNOTES

1 Saltzman E, Roberts SB. The role of energy expenditure in energy regulation: Findings from a decade of research. Nutr Rev. 1995. 53:209-220.

2 Burgess NS. Effect of a very-low calorie diet on body composition and resting metabolic rate in obese men and women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1991 Apr;91(4):430-4.

3 Rogers PJ. Eating habits and appetite control: a psychobiological perspective. Proc Nutr Soc. 1999 Feb;58(1):59-67.

4 Weinsier RL, Nagy TR, Hunter GR, Darnell BE, Hensrud DD, Weiss HL. Do adaptive changes in metabolic rate favor weight regain in weight-reduced individuals? An examination of the set-point theory. Am J Clin Nutr 2000 Nov;72(5):1088-94.

Height 5'7
    SW - 178 (2-20-08)
    GW- 155
    Lost 16.4 lbs in 6 weeks on phen
    Lost additonal 9.6 after phen from 4-9-08 to 6-20-08
    Below goal & size 8 in most things 6-20-08

DESPERATELY TRYING TO MAINTAIN!

LIFE AFTER PHEN CHALLENGE

[[/url]

No, you don't have to eat. Your body will let you know when it's hungry, eventhough everyone on here says to drink water first to see if you're just thirsty. I can go days without eating and not have a hunger pain. If you don't feel like eating, try drinking slim-fast shakes instead. You're body will not go into starvation mode and shut down.

There Scat, they can throw darts at me too!

Please eat!!! If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine what Phen does to the body it's job is to NOT send the hunger message to the brain. So, you can't listen to your body because you have added a mood altering substance that is telling your body an incorrect message. So that's why you feel like you are not hungry when technically your body needs the food! You need food as energy and to keep your metabolism going. Phen is a tool not a miracle drug. If you don't eat and reprogram your body you will gain the weight back. Many people that have used it in the past have written threads about gaining the weight back because they under ate and there body goes into "stravation mode" which is TRUE because the body is unsure of when the next meal is coming so it holds on to the food as a way to protect the body.
    I eat 5 small meals a day (1,200 calories) and drink 90-100oz's of water a day. And my weight loss numbers are not bad either. If you are not hungry eat a granola bar, fruit or veggies. It's not going to kill you and the body will use that as energy/fuel to burn more. If you are not taking in the calories what is your body burning? Then when you get off Phen your metabolism will be EXTREMEMLY slow. You have to take into account your size (which was around the same size as mine when I started Phen) because everyone's body type is different someone that is under 160 trying to lose is different than someone that is over 220 trying to lose. Please do your research and EAT! Good Luck!

4/17/08 (size 18/20 pants and XXL shirts): 220 (Started Phen)
    4/17/08-5/17/08 (1st month lost 18 pounds) 202
    5/17/08-6/17/08 (2nd Month lost 8.4 pounds) 193.6
    6/17/08- 7/17/08 (3rd Month lost 7.6 ponds) 186
    7/17/08- 8/17/08:184 (No Phen)
    8/17/08-9/17/08: 182 (No Phen)
    9/17/08-11/17/08: 185 (No Phen)
    (Now~Size 13/14 pants and L shirts)

Total Weight Loss

I know i'm going to be slammed for this, and everyone is going to bring up the starvation mode theory, and i've debated on that one enough....what i will say is that I haven't been eating much lately due to stress , skipping meals, some days just eating once a day...not the healthiest way to do things...but I am losing....if I forced myself to eat i'd throw up.....why give my body calories it clearly doesn't want or need..

BUT if you do nto eat all day and then eat a big meal it can give you digestive problems.....if you don't eat you won't have energy to work out..........if you don't eat all day you'll be hungry at nigh tand can overeat....SO my suggestion to you is to eat a little bit of healthy food throughout the day......if you can't eat three meals a day then eat two meals and a snack.....or little noshing throughout the day until dinner.......or a big breakfast and then eat light the rest of the day.....i'm all into listening to the body for cues, and y'all can all throw darts at me now but look at my numbers..I must be doing something right...
    I did it!! Reached goal and have been here for quite a while thanks to low carb eating and working out like crazy! Phen didn't work for me, but that isn't to say that there aren't other ways. God bless all of you!

[Obsession is the greatest form of flattery.........

Bronze Phenster

Default Do you HAVE to eat?

I asked my doctor this very same queston. His reponse, "NO".

What do you guys think? Have you been told otherwise?

As for today, I didnt have breakfast. Ive had about 90 oz of water and a 210 calorie Healthy Choice bowl steamer. Its only 12:30 pm but I dont think I'll even eat dinner. I had to force myself yesterday.

Thoughts?