OT - overweight kids who won't play
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyboys View Post
    oh melinda,
    that is so sad. Your Grandmother must be a real nice woman, to do that.
    yes she is. She has raised 6 children of her own , 4 grandchildren , and now she takes care of two of her great grandchildren and she does anything she can for any child that needs help.
    She does not judge or try to change any of them she just gives them her love and attention.
    url=http://www.extrapounds.com/] [/url]

Vacation last year

SW- 193 ibs 4/28/08
    CW- 184 ibs 5/05/08
    CW- 181 ibs 5/12/08
    CW- 177 ibs 5/19/08
    CW- 173 ibs 6/02/08
    CW- 169 ibs 6/10/08
    CW- 168 ibs 6/24/08 (VACATION)
    CW- 158 ibs 8/11/08
    CW- 158 ibs 9/16/09 (STARTING AGAIN)

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

oh melinda,
    that is so sad. Your Grandmother must be a real nice woman, to do that.

Photos
    View albums

I haven't read all the post but i read most of them. I just want to tell you a little something about a boy i know who lives next door to my granmother. He is seven years old and about 50 ibs over weight , he came home from school one day last year to find his mother dead on the floor of there apartment. All he has now to take care of him is his father who has cancer and is in the bed most of the time or in the hospital. My Grandmother does the childs laundry and makes sure he has food to eat and she watches him when his father is rushed to the hospital by ambulance. The child is tramatized and will only talk to my grandmother. If i come in and he is there he will just set on the couch and stare at a wall. I guess my point is that you have no idea these childrens lives and what they may go through day to day. Instead of saying you can't set here , you have to go do something . Why not try to set down and talk to them or get a game and play with them while they are setting at the table. Try and build there trust. You have to start small. Let them decide on there own what they want to do.
    If your so concerned then take there parents to the side and talk to them about it and let them decide on what is best for there child. Maybe they can give you some tips on how to handle the situation. After all they know them best.
    Just because they are setting and not joining in with the othere children does not mean it is because they are overweight ,unsocialized , and lazy.
    url=http://www.extrapounds.com/] [/url]

Vacation last year

SW- 193 ibs 4/28/08
    CW- 184 ibs 5/05/08
    CW- 181 ibs 5/12/08
    CW- 177 ibs 5/19/08
    CW- 173 ibs 6/02/08
    CW- 169 ibs 6/10/08
    CW- 168 ibs 6/24/08 (VACATION)
    CW- 158 ibs 8/11/08
    CW- 158 ibs 9/16/09 (STARTING AGAIN)

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by n8rgrl View Post
    I have a few suggestions:
    SInce there are two of them sitting on the sidelines, is there anyway you could talk to your supervisor and ask to work with them independently? Obviously these two at such a young age already feel "different" in some way that makes them not want to participate. They may genuinely not be interested, but do you know for sure?Have you asked them-separate from each other and the others? If you could actually pull them aside and TALK to them, you may find the cause to their lack of participation. But you would also be able to ask them what they ARE interested in and doing. That would give you more insight as how to engage them. And if they told you of some activity they would be interested in, you could ask them if they would like to share that with the rest of the group, and then get all the kids involved in something new, and give credit for this new idea to the one whose idea it was. That would be a BIG boost of self-esteem.
    They also "socialize" with each other, so they aren't completely inept. They may be very shy, and find security in just one or two people. That would also explain them liking to hang around the teachers. They may be terrified at the thought of having to deal with kids their own age that can be mean, but know that adults will accept them no matter what. Maybe if everyone had a "lesson" on sensitivity to other people's feelings, it would help the whole group.
    There are all kinds of things you could do to engage them. Maybe try and challenge them to make just one new friend and find out everything they can about the other person. Offer some type of reward (not food), but anything from stickers to pencils etc...Maybe have them go on a hunt around the playground looking for different things in nature-physical and educational! Give them a magnifying glass and a bug jar. Make up a "bingo" board for them to cross off as they find things. Are they sitting there watching cars? Have them keep track of the colors and see which color is most popular. There are tons of things you could encourage them to do. You just have to find what they are interested in and figure out something for them to do. It may take a few minutes of your time, but it would be worth it in the end.
    Whenever my kids started a new activity when they were young, I used to teach them to walk up to other children and say "Hi! My name is Alex, what's yours?" SImple I know, but not all kids are taught to be outgoing, so you could use those that are to work with those that aren't. Have the outgoing kids approach the shy and start a conversation. To this day, my 11 and 9 year olds have no trouble talking to pretty much anyone, and make friends very easily. And I have tried to encourage them to talk to EVERYONE, including the shy, quiet ones. Nobody is perfect, and they never know if they are going to find a great friend in someone until they talk to them!
    If you are genuinely concerned, I would approach the parents when they picked up their children. I would tread lightly, as you can tell by the responses on the forum. But just show your concern for their children and ask the parents what they would like to see for their children. Do they really care if they participate? Do they want you trying to help them socialize? Do they have any concerns? Make it about the parents and the children-NOT about our problems with society and weight issues, etc. Tell them of your concern-that they don't seem interested in participating. Ask for the parents insight as to what their children like and how to engage and motivate them. Your parents responses are going to be your best bet, next to the kids.
    Bottom line is, whichever side of the fence you are on, it has to be about the children and what is best for them. Good Luck! Let us know how things go.
    HOLY MOSES GIRL! That wasnt a response, it was a thesis! LOL...thanks for the intelligent reading though...you bring up alot of good questions and points.
    I did it!! Reached goal and have been here for quite a while thanks to low carb eating and working out like crazy! Phen didn't work for me, but that isn't to say that there aren't other ways. God bless all of you!

[Obsession is the greatest form of flattery.........

Photos
    View albums

Smile My two cents-sorry its long

I have a few suggestions:
    SInce there are two of them sitting on the sidelines, is there anyway you could talk to your supervisor and ask to work with them independently? Obviously these two at such a young age already feel "different" in some way that makes them not want to participate. They may genuinely not be interested, but do you know for sure?Have you asked them-separate from each other and the others? If you could actually pull them aside and TALK to them, you may find the cause to their lack of participation. But you would also be able to ask them what they ARE interested in and doing. That would give you more insight as how to engage them. And if they told you of some activity they would be interested in, you could ask them if they would like to share that with the rest of the group, and then get all the kids involved in something new, and give credit for this new idea to the one whose idea it was. That would be a BIG boost of self-esteem.
    They also "socialize" with each other, so they aren't completely inept. They may be very shy, and find security in just one or two people. That would also explain them liking to hang around the teachers. They may be terrified at the thought of having to deal with kids their own age that can be mean, but know that adults will accept them no matter what. Maybe if everyone had a "lesson" on sensitivity to other people's feelings, it would help the whole group.
    There are all kinds of things you could do to engage them. Maybe try and challenge them to make just one new friend and find out everything they can about the other person. Offer some type of reward (not food), but anything from stickers to pencils etc...Maybe have them go on a hunt around the playground looking for different things in nature-physical and educational! Give them a magnifying glass and a bug jar. Make up a "bingo" board for them to cross off as they find things. Are they sitting there watching cars? Have them keep track of the colors and see which color is most popular. There are tons of things you could encourage them to do. You just have to find what they are interested in and figure out something for them to do. It may take a few minutes of your time, but it would be worth it in the end.
    Whenever my kids started a new activity when they were young, I used to teach them to walk up to other children and say "Hi! My name is Alex, what's yours?" SImple I know, but not all kids are taught to be outgoing, so you could use those that are to work with those that aren't. Have the outgoing kids approach the shy and start a conversation. To this day, my 11 and 9 year olds have no trouble talking to pretty much anyone, and make friends very easily. And I have tried to encourage them to talk to EVERYONE, including the shy, quiet ones. Nobody is perfect, and they never know if they are going to find a great friend in someone until they talk to them!
    If you are genuinely concerned, I would approach the parents when they picked up their children. I would tread lightly, as you can tell by the responses on the forum. But just show your concern for their children and ask the parents what they would like to see for their children. Do they really care if they participate? Do they want you trying to help them socialize? Do they have any concerns? Make it about the parents and the children-NOT about our problems with society and weight issues, etc. Tell them of your concern-that they don't seem interested in participating. Ask for the parents insight as to what their children like and how to engage and motivate them. Your parents responses are going to be your best bet, next to the kids.
    Bottom line is, whichever side of the fence you are on, it has to be about the children and what is best for them. Good Luck! Let us know how things go.
    n8rgrl

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

and this is ot...but wow ladies....we've been "fat"...I"m disappointed that when hurt we revert to the same things that hurt us..."I'm more -------------- than you" . That makes us no better than those who were highschoolish and called us names. C'mon...we're adults. None of us is "cuter, smarter, slimmer". than others...we're all here b/c we needed help to do what we had been doing for years. Putting someone down so you can feel better is childish. Okay, carry on
    Working to be the HOT MOMMA I really am!

HW: 190
    OW: 185 (on my own)
    Stated Phen 5/29
    CW: 178 (with Phen) 6/3
    6/5 175
    6/7 174
    6/9 173.5
    6/10 173
    6/11 173 (TOM)
    6/15 171
    6/17 170 (20 lbs gone!!!)
    6/19 169
    6/24 170 (no exercise or poop)
    6/25 168
    6/28 168
    6/30 165
    7/24 161

GW: 145

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

here's my two cents.

1. It's plainly obvious that you don't have children. when you do, go back and re-read your post. Nothing I *thought* about parenting actually worked when I was a parent. I had all kinds of advice for moms when I had no Idea what it involved. Parents guide, children are their own beings and make decisions..sometimes with or without you.

2. you know that all of us know that things like "shoulds" (kids should get out and play or we should lose weight" is easy for someone to say from the outside. If we did all our shoulds, we'd be our vision of perfect---but we're not.

3. "pushing" a child in any way they're not comfortable leaves you open to liability. If a child you "push" has a heart murmur or heat stroke.. know your 2009 degree is zap. The one thing you'll learn between now and then is that a lot of our work is CYA...do what you can but you also need to moderate and cover your a**. That's what experience brings you.

I think you had a great idea, but from here you can obviously see that women with children and with experience think it's a bit misguided. sorry if that smarts, but seriously, you asked.

Instead of "pushing them" take them for a walk in the woods, ask them to pick up things on a list, let them pick the activity on tuesday, make them the "activity director" one evening. Good luck sweetie but no, your original thought needs more teasing out to be effective.
    Working to be the HOT MOMMA I really am!

HW: 190
    OW: 185 (on my own)
    Stated Phen 5/29
    CW: 178 (with Phen) 6/3
    6/5 175
    6/7 174
    6/9 173.5
    6/10 173
    6/11 173 (TOM)
    6/15 171
    6/17 170 (20 lbs gone!!!)
    6/19 169
    6/24 170 (no exercise or poop)
    6/25 168
    6/28 168
    6/30 165
    7/24 161

GW: 145

Photos
    View albums

poof be gone!!

before some one drops a house on you

Photos
    View albums

You just want to keep in going dont ya dbeth,, You dang tootin I messaged you! When you slam me, I will call ya out! I am not scared of you or your foul insults lil girl! I told you to knock off you personal talk to me about my home life!

well I did not dish it out untill you started with the personal reference to my personal life and and personal situation about my home life and how I should do somthing about my children or how I should rasie, telling me I am weak and to get a f***** life and get some back bone, them get a job and how my husband cant stand to watch me eat and how I have a bad wig or how stupid and ugly I am. Then make fun of me for a post I made when I said I was crying typing it!
    grow up dbeth move on ...find meaning for your life!

I am sure you will post back!

yup, you are right. i am posting back! are you validated now? i want to keep it going? YOU are the one who keeps sending me private messages. yes i did say a lot of things in RESPONSE to what you sent me, and i meant every word of it. i'm not one to go around throwing out insults to people for no reason at all, but if you want to insult me you better believe you're gonna get it back. ever heard you shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house? you are so obsessed with me........my inbox can only hold so many messages u know? u should really get a hobby.

i suggest if you don't like me or you don't like what i have to say then you just ignore me..........don't respond to my posts.....it's that simple. i have so many private messages from people telling me that they agree with my original post and reassuring me about how crazy some of you are!.......but they don't want to get involved in this nonsense of the thread....smart people!

to the ones who said i think i am better than everyone else........that is hilarious. if there is one quality in a person that i hate more than anything it's arrogance, so that just made me laugh. you saying that i think i am better than others (with NO evidence to back that up) just shows your own insecurity.

seriously, are we ready to move on yet? if not, let's finish it up in private. i saw the message from the moderator and i'm not about to let it go any farther. i've allowed you to bring out the bad in me already and i just blame myself for that. but now, for me, it's O V E R!

4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

Photos
    View albums

oh, but when that kid who is 100+ pounds and just "isn't interested" in physical activities comes home with an F then it's all the teacher's fault......it has nothing to do with the fact that the parents aided them in being a social outcast to the point they can't even focus.

Beth- this is when the nerve was struck with me.... It seemed as though you were referring to my child since I had pointed out that he is 100+ lbs and inactive.

I admitted that the name calling wasn't right... regardless of who started it. WE both called each other names... but I did get wise after "cooling" off and I did try and look at it from your prospective. Didn't I?
    My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking!

http://www.myspace.com/fishlippswhoa

2/12/08-346.8 (Started Weight Watchers)
    3/11/08- 332.8 (Down 14lbs. in 4 weeks!)
    3/16/08- 330 (Started Phentermine)
    3/31/08-327 (According to the dr's scale)
    4/15/08-321
    4/29/08- 318
    5/9/08-313
    5/20/08- 311
    6/03/08-314(+3 lbs.)2 weeks of BAD eating! Poor choices! ETC!
    6/17/08-311 THANK GOD I LOST WHAT I HAD GAINED!
    7/8/08-309 (Finally back on track)

7/15/08-308 (slooooooow)
    7/29/08-306

Photos
    View albums

You just want to keep in going dont ya dbeth,, You dang tootin I messaged you! When you slam me, I will call ya out! I am not scared of you or your foul insults lil girl! I told you to knock off you personal talk to me about my home life!

well I did not dish it out untill you started with the personal reference to my personal life and and personal situation about my home life and how I should do somthing about my children or how I should rasie, telling me I am weak and to get a f***** life and get some back bone, them get a job and how my husband cant stand to watch me eat and how I have a bad wig or how stupid and ugly I am. Then make fun of me for a post I made when I said I was crying typing it!
    grow up dbeth move on ...find meaning for your life!

I am sure you will post back!
    Last edited by lovemyboys; June 30th, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Photos
    View albums

lovemyboys -

umm, let's not forget YOU messaged ME and called me a SOW and THEN i made fun of you.........let's keep it straight.

stacyrella - you calling me plain jane wasn't meant as an insult? i like how people point out the "below the belt" things i said, but they forget the parts where i was insulted first.

but anyway i'm over it......have been...........just like i told you in that same message, move on with your life. it's not worth it. is this still going on?!

4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

lmao @ the wig? I must have missed that one.

I can spot a weave/wig from a mile away...and her hair doesn't look like either.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Lillix View Post
    Listen Ms. dbethied,

It's unendingly scary to me that you want to be a teacher, much less a teacher of small/ young children. From what I understand, you found a way to undermine what the director of the camp requested that you not do. You were specifically told that the children had the option to sit and do nothing if they chose to do so. But, being uncomfortable with that, you told the children they could not sit and do nothing, as opposed to what you think of as "forcing" them to play. What else did you think they were going to do when you told them they couldn't sit in the shade? They have no other options but to do something! And it's really, really sick that you think it's okay to manipulate children's minds like that when you want to be a teacher. If you are seriously considering becoming a teacher, you need to learn to leave your opinions of specific children AND their parents at home. Or maybe become a lawyer, because then at least you're being paid to manipulate people all day long. And on an unrelated side note, for a person that wants to become a teacher, your grammar is disgusting.
    Yes, because as we all know, the internet is where people pull out their grammar skills.
    :/ Right.

Photos
    View albums

I have to say that this has gotten beyond nasty, and yes I may have gone a little low, myself.

Perhaps this question would have been better sevrved on a education fourm!

I dont understand asking for a opinion on a subject that involes a very passionate subject such as ones children, and then blasting them personaly below the belt, and saying hurtful mean spiteful nasty things, and try to rouse moral indignation about ones personal life and hardships because one does not agree. That is low low class in my book.

No nerve was strunk with me except for the personal insults!!! Period

and no I do not wear a wig!!
    Hmm....girl if your hair WAS a wig I'd be asking you where you got yours.........I have always loved your hair (in a non-lesbo but friendly kinda way.....)

You don't need to explain yourself here girl...you have a right to your opinion...and using your personal life as ammo is just plain wrong.....

Photos
    View albums

I have to say that this has gotten beyond nasty, and yes I may have gone a little low, myself.

Perhaps this question would have been better sevrved on a education fourm!

I dont understand asking for a opinion on a subject that involes a very passionate subject such as ones children, and then blasting them personaly below the belt, and saying hurtful mean spiteful nasty things, and try to rouse moral indignation about ones personal life and hardships because one does not agree. That is low low class in my book.

No nerve was strunk with me except for the personal insults!!! Period

and no I do not wear a wig!!

Photos
    View albums

I think Beth is concerned.. I had to do a paper about poor kids & its more likely that they will be overweight due to the fact that they might be on fixed incomes and can only afford starchy,unhealthy food. Combine that with little activity and u get a fat child. I think that a lot of teachers may "mean well" but in this day& age its just best to stay out a child's personal life. My child development teacher in 11th grade felt bad for one of her students because his parents wouldnt buy him a coat (and it was really cold that year!) So she gave him one of her son's old ones. Well his mother came up to the school and caused all sorts of hell b/c she said that "she aint got no right buyin my son no clothes". Then she had to be investigated b/c they thought she might have been having a relationship with the boy! So the conclusion of the story is, if u think that something may be wrong with their home life, call CPS or report it to an authority figure at school.
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3

Starting over again!!!!

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by dalako View Post
    DBethie~ I agree that a child SHOULD NOT sit for 3 hours at a time. Since the kids (KEY PHRASE HERE: THAT YOU KNOW) are overweight, it is probably because of their inactivity. I agree the socialization is VERY important at a young age. They need to learn to deal with conflicts, other people, others behaviors, etc... in order to creat a 'well rounded individual.' It would be easier for them to learn while they're young vs when they are older. Statistic have shown/proven that the adults who are successful in life (as far money, employement, friends, and the big one of self esteem) are the children who were ENCOURAGED to try things even when they are 'uncomfortable'. Encouraging them to step outside of their comfort zone and try new experiences. It was thru the trying of those things, they learned about themselves and others. They learned how to deal with people, disappointment, etc... thus making a 'well rounded' person.

Have you thought about coming up with a 'middle ground' plan. I.E. "joey" (fake name of course)... how about this... let's go play _______ for 30 mins, then we'll come back and color. Then after that we can go play ________ for 30 mins, and then you can pick an activity to do for 30 mins.
    Keep rotating, this will get him/her active. This works. I do this with my niece. She is 6 and 55lbs.... she is not over weight. She likes to sit watch TV, or Color, or Books. My mom let's her eat like crap. So when she is over here with me... she has the tendancy to try to do those same things. I don't let her. I AM NOT HER MOM AND I DON'T ALLOW HER TO DO IT! I have her eat right, she is on a schedule, and I MAKE her go outside for periods of time and give her certain activities that help stimulate the brain (right & left)... It may sound 'strict' but she loves it over here and bugs my mom to keep coming over. But what I do is this: you can watch 1 video (30 mins) then we are going to play games for 30 mins.... games like red light/ green light, or dodgeball, tag... games to get her moving. Then we will go back in the house have a snack (fruit & water or juice) and after that we will read our books for 30 mins. (I sell Usborne Books so I've got a great stash going).... and we keep rotating.... i think you get the point. Some activities I choose, some she chooses. It's a win-win.
    Just a thought though... maybe with those 3 kids that would work... Of course you are outside, so maybe a game like a scavenger hunt.... then when they find everything, they can come back to the table, sit and talk about it....

As for the person 'jab's' from anyone. Ignore it, you obviously struck a nerve.

Staceyrella~ I have a lot of respect for you coming back and suggesting speaking to the parents. Because they can probably help to... and who knows maybe the kids inactivity is an issue at home too.... =D

Hope this helps!

The original post DID hit a nerve with me... only because I do not ever appreciate someone handling my kids. that is my job. However, I have not and will not ever work in a school so I don't get to see it from Beth's point of view. From a parents point of view, I would rather someone speak to me before assuming my child is inactive due to his weight issues. I also believe that text can be taken wrong and I may never see her point, and I may have taken it totally wrong. I did however give my 2 cents. What also struck a nerve with me is Beth bringing up past threads and post from myself. I feel she judged my parenting, and she has zero right to do so. I know I am a good Mother. So instead of keeping the name calling going (which is something I do NOT normally do) I decided to take apositive look at the post and I truly think if Beth is concerned for the well being of the children and not attacking them and their weight, then going to the parents is all I can suggest.

I do not regret my opinion nor do I regret putting my 2 cents in. That is what Beth was asking. I do not like the fact that we ended up bashing one another. Truth is I don't know her personally. I just know her from this board and I may never agree with her on anything, but I do agree that we do not have to like one another... that goes for everyone... Not just her and I.

If the future I hope to refrain from giving my 2 cents about subjects that offend me. It's not worth it. I prefer to be a more positive person. SOOOOO with that being said, I hope this thread disappears... And Quick!

Have a great day everyone!
    Last edited by Staceyrella; June 30th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
    My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking!

http://www.myspace.com/fishlippswhoa

2/12/08-346.8 (Started Weight Watchers)
    3/11/08- 332.8 (Down 14lbs. in 4 weeks!)
    3/16/08- 330 (Started Phentermine)
    3/31/08-327 (According to the dr's scale)
    4/15/08-321
    4/29/08- 318
    5/9/08-313
    5/20/08- 311
    6/03/08-314(+3 lbs.)2 weeks of BAD eating! Poor choices! ETC!
    6/17/08-311 THANK GOD I LOST WHAT I HAD GAINED!
    7/8/08-309 (Finally back on track)

7/15/08-308 (slooooooow)
    7/29/08-306

Photos
    View albums

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lillix View Post
    Listen Ms. dbethied,

It's unendingly scary to me that you want to be a teacher, much less a teacher of small/ young children. From what I understand, you found a way to undermine what the director of the camp requested that you not do. You were specifically told that the children had the option to sit and do nothing if they chose to do so. But, being uncomfortable with that, you told the children they could not sit and do nothing, as opposed to what you think of as "forcing" them to play. What else did you think they were going to do when you told them they couldn't sit in the shade? They have no other options but to do something! And it's really, really sick that you think it's okay to manipulate children's minds like that when you want to be a teacher. If you are seriously considering becoming a teacher, you need to learn to leave your opinions of specific children AND their parents at home. Or maybe become a lawyer, because then at least you're being paid to manipulate people all day long. And on an unrelated side note, for a person that wants to become a teacher, your grammar is disgusting.

In all fairness the way I type here is not how I speak or spell in real life......maybe that is the case with debethied also.

I hate lawyers by the way, and to think I was going to become one!
    I did it!! Reached goal and have been here for quite a while thanks to low carb eating and working out like crazy! Phen didn't work for me, but that isn't to say that there aren't other ways. God bless all of you!

Photos
    View albums

DBethie~ I agree that a child SHOULD NOT sit for 3 hours at a time. Since the kids (KEY PHRASE HERE: THAT YOU KNOW) are overweight, it is probably because of their inactivity. I agree the socialization is VERY important at a young age. They need to learn to deal with conflicts, other people, others behaviors, etc... in order to creat a 'well rounded individual.' It would be easier for them to learn while they're young vs when they are older. Statistic have shown/proven that the adults who are successful in life (as far money, employement, friends, and the big one of self esteem) are the children who were ENCOURAGED to try things even when they are 'uncomfortable'. Encouraging them to step outside of their comfort zone and try new experiences. It was thru the trying of those things, they learned about themselves and others. They learned how to deal with people, disappointment, etc... thus making a 'well rounded' person.

Have you thought about coming up with a 'middle ground' plan. I.E. "joey" (fake name of course)... how about this... let's go play _______ for 30 mins, then we'll come back and color. Then after that we can go play ________ for 30 mins, and then you can pick an activity to do for 30 mins.
    Keep rotating, this will get him/her active. This works. I do this with my niece. She is 6 and 55lbs.... she is not over weight. She likes to sit watch TV, or Color, or Books. My mom let's her eat like crap. So when she is over here with me... she has the tendancy to try to do those same things. I don't let her. I AM NOT HER MOM AND I DON'T ALLOW HER TO DO IT! I have her eat right, she is on a schedule, and I MAKE her go outside for periods of time and give her certain activities that help stimulate the brain (right & left)... It may sound 'strict' but she loves it over here and bugs my mom to keep coming over. But what I do is this: you can watch 1 video (30 mins) then we are going to play games for 30 mins.... games like red light/ green light, or dodgeball, tag... games to get her moving. Then we will go back in the house have a snack (fruit & water or juice) and after that we will read our books for 30 mins. (I sell Usborne Books so I've got a great stash going).... and we keep rotating.... i think you get the point. Some activities I choose, some she chooses. It's a win-win.
    Just a thought though... maybe with those 3 kids that would work... Of course you are outside, so maybe a game like a scavenger hunt.... then when they find everything, they can come back to the table, sit and talk about it....

As for the person 'jab's' from anyone. Ignore it, you obviously struck a nerve.

Staceyrella~ I have a lot of respect for you coming back and suggesting speaking to the parents. Because they can probably help to... and who knows maybe the kids inactivity is an issue at home too.... =D

Hope this helps!
    Height= 5'8"
    SW = 259 1/24/08
    CW 2/21/08 = 238 Lost 20 lbs
    CW 3/20/08 = 234 total 24 lbs went off phen
    CW 4/18/08 = 221 toal 33 lbs *reached mini goal
    CW 6/9/08 = TOM & Vacation.... 231 dang it- But it was fun
    CW 7/1/08 = 222
    CW 8/5/08 = 215 -Down 45lbs WOOT WOOT!!!!

Next Mini Goal = 210

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Listen Ms. dbethied,

Last edited by Lillix; June 30th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.

Photos
    View albums

Taking a really sensitive thing that someone shared on here that is hurtful and very personal and then using that thing to hurt someone is the lowest of the low. I have a daddy that is dying right now and don't have the energy for debate, but I just had to put that out there. I've been known to lose it too and post things that are downright ghetto but lets try and remember that there is an intelligent way to discuss something...we don't all have to agree....and there's no reason to sink to depth of Jerry Springer........makes me afraid what would happen if we were all in the same room.......

Let's all get skinny y'all.

Peace

Photos
    View albums

Ok, I've stayed off here lately and bit my tongue about alot of the CRAP going on, but this one I'm going to speak my mind!

Dbeth, if you tried this crap with my child, I'd be talking to the Principal about you. 1) My child is NOT overweight and is very active; HOWEVER, he does have asthma, and I would rather he sit quietly most days so his asthma doesn't flare up. 2) Your job is to EDUCATE these kids NOT butt into their personal lives OR to talk about them on a public forum! 3) I AGREE with Stacey all the way! 4) If you're going to 'attack' someone on a public forum, make sure you're getting your facts straight first! You said Stacey thinks the world needs to accomadate(sp) her because she's overweight.....Hate to tell you but that was RICK that said that!!

I've dealt with the teachers my son has had every year, because they are too stressed in their own lives to actually do their job. I have no problem 'getting in their face' when they are totally wrong and I've even gotten in the Principal's face a few times. NOBODY BUT MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF RAISE MY SON!

Dbeth...take care of your own kids, do your job and educate, and keep your nose out of these kids' personal lives! If they're sitting the entire time they are outside then so be it....from what you said, the policy states they have to go outside BUT it doesn't say they have to participate!!

IF you decide to attack me, then go for it but I don't back down from anyone....especially people that think they are better than everyone else!

Photos
    View albums

Exclamation WARNING

Hi Phensters,

This Forums are opened to everybody to talk about your own points of view and express your opinions. However, one's freedom ends where another's begins. Please always be respectful to the another.

We would prefer no to take part in the conversations but we want you to remember from the rules:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use these forums (including via Private Messaging) to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's or business’ privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You could be banned at first occurrence without warning and you IP(s) recorded. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by these forums.

Thanks,
    The Phentermine.com Team

Photos
    View albums

I replied that I respectfully and totally disagreed. That is attacking you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast