OT - overweight kids who won't play - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 92 of 92
  1. #17
    Silver Phenster Staceyrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    301
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    if we had a world full of great parents that would teach their children everything they needed to know then we wouldn't need teachers at all would we? unfortunately, we have parents who would rather plop their kid in front of the television with a bag of cheetos instead of helping them write their name or learn to read......that's why we need teachers who butt in to people's personal lives. social skills has everything to do with education. if a kid's mind is always distracted by the fact that their peers are making fun of them then how are they supposed to focus on what the teacher "should be teaching them".....oh, but when that kid who is 100+ pounds and just "isn't interested" in physical activities comes home with an F then it's all the teacher's fault......it has nothing to do with the fact that the parents aided them in being a social outcast to the point they can't even focus.

    i think the reason these kids would rather stay attached to the teacher's hips than go out and play with kids their age has nothing to do with the fact that they're overweight, but the fact that their parents don't give them any attention so they're trying to get it from their teachers. being overweight is just a side effect of being left alone and babysat by a T.V.

    If parents would go outside and play with their kids or sign them up for extra curricular activities then they might not be so scared to try them out of fear of failure.

    also, it wouldn't even matter if these kids weighed 40 pounds soaking wet......i still wouldn't think it was okay for them to sit under a shaded tent for three hours doing nothing. there is nothing healthy or beneficial about that.
    WOW Dbeth............... MY 100+ lb kid isn't intrested BECAUSE that's his personality......................... NOT because he hasn't been given the chance to be. His TWIN brother plays EVERY sport imaginable. And BY GOD his WEIGHT has NOTHING to DO with HIS GRADES!!!!!!!!!!!! So what only skinny active kids get good grades????? My child is freakin Brilliant... he just DO NOT like sports. He does like to swim when we have access to a swimming pool but the poor kid has ear problems most of his toddler years up until real recent. (By the way i took him to the Dr. for the ears) AND my child also has a learning disability... Which is NOT my fault or the teachers... But I can tell you that teachers these days don't give 2 S H I T S about helping him... they have too many kids and not enough time to spend extra time on him... I actually had his RSP teacher pretty much say she gives up.. she doesn't know what is "wrong" with him. So I took him to his primary Dr. and the Dr. said he is fine and is just a tiny bit mature. He also said he'd catch up. He goes to speech therapy as well. Next year he will be in a Special Day Class. As far as putting a kid in an extracurriculam activity... is still forcing a kid to do something he or she is not interested in.

    Ppl who dwell on such issues MUST be miserable.
    My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking!

    http://www.myspace.com/fishlippswhoa

    2/12/08-346.8 (Started Weight Watchers)
    3/11/08- 332.8 (Down 14lbs. in 4 weeks!)
    3/16/08- 330 (Started Phentermine)
    3/31/08-327 (According to the dr's scale)
    4/15/08-321
    4/29/08- 318
    5/9/08-313
    5/20/08- 311
    6/03/08-314(+3 lbs.)2 weeks of BAD eating! Poor choices! ETC!
    6/17/08-311 THANK GOD I LOST WHAT I HAD GAINED!
    7/8/08-309 (Finally back on track)

    7/15/08-308 (slooooooow)
    7/29/08-306

  2. Advertising
    advertising
     

  3. #16
    Silver Phenster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    477
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    weight has nothing to do with being outcast socially? on what planet? as kids or adults you are a social outcast if you are overweight, and especially if you are obese. and....this isn't school, but in school physical activity IS required. but why would you sign your child up for a summer program that consists of swimming and active field trips if you didn't want them being active? wouldn't you send them to space camp or something? like i said....it has less to do with the fact that they are overweight (although you can't help but notice that the ones who are sitting and doing nothing are overweight) and more to do with the fact that they are scared to try anything new or socialize with others. it really doesn't have anything to do with my recent weight loss because if i hadn't lost the weight i think i would be even more concerned about kids who were headed down the same path.......but i wasn't an obese kid anyway. i am not forcing them to participate in any activities. i didn't force them to do karate, and i don't force them to swim. but i tell them that they may NOT sit on a bench under a tent for three hours. saying i'm forcing them to do something by saying it's not okay for them to sit there like that would be like saying i am forcing them to eat because i make them go to the cafeteria during lunch time. ever heard you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink? it's kind of the same thing......i can lead them to the playground, but i can't make them play. the thing is....when i lead them to the playground they find something to do! they could choose to sit down on the playground if they wanted to, but they didn't. one played in the sand.....one got on a tricycle....i didn't MAKE them do that. and it's not like i'm sitting in the shade drinking ice cold lemonade during this time. do you think i like being out in the heat walking around in circles for that long? i COULD and most teachers do park it on a bench in the shade and gossip while not even paying attention to what the kids are doing and are oblivious to the kids who are being picked on and left out. but i'm walking around listening to what they're saying and trying to get the kids who are left out to be included. when you work with kids you don't have parents come in saying "did he play by himself all day and not talk to anyone? great!" they come in and ask "is he playing okay with everyone? does he have friends? does he get along with the kids?" that's what typical parents want for their kids.
    Good for you for trying to get them to socialize and at least get some exercise. Someone has to do it because obviously their parents aren't. And then we wonder why America's youth is afflicted by obesity.

  4. #15
    Silver Phenster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    477
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    if we had a world full of great parents that would teach their children everything they needed to know then we wouldn't need teachers at all would we? unfortunately, we have parents who would rather plop their kid in front of the television with a bag of cheetos instead of helping them write their name or learn to read......that's why we need teachers who butt in to people's personal lives. social skills has everything to do with education. if a kid's mind is always distracted by the fact that their peers are making fun of them then how are they supposed to focus on what the teacher "should be teaching them".....oh, but when that kid who is 100+ pounds and just "isn't interested" in physical activities comes home with an F then it's all the teacher's fault......it has nothing to do with the fact that the parents aided them in being a social outcast to the point they can't even focus.

    i think the reason these kids would rather stay attached to the teacher's hips than go out and play with kids their age has nothing to do with the fact that they're overweight, but the fact that their parents don't give them any attention so they're trying to get it from their teachers. being overweight is just a side effect of being left alone and babysat by a T.V.

    If parents would go outside and play with their kids or sign them up for extra curricular activities then they might not be so scared to try them out of fear of failure.

    also, it wouldn't even matter if these kids weighed 40 pounds soaking wet......i still wouldn't think it was okay for them to sit under a shaded tent for three hours doing nothing. there is nothing healthy or beneficial about that.
    I agree. I think that is so stupid to think "Oh well if they're not the child's parent they should obviously have no authority". If so many parents think like that, then stop sending your kids to school, camps, etc.

    There is NO REASON for a six year old to be sitting by themselves playing with blocks and not with other children. It's really no wonder we have such an obesity epidemic in youngsters, we're teaching them crap habits at early ages and allowing them to get away with it!

    Why a parent would send a kid to summer camp and expect them not to be social and somewhat outgoing is ridiculous and beyond me.

  5. #14
    Gold Phenster dbethied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    878
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    weight has nothing to do with being outcast socially? on what planet? as kids or adults you are a social outcast if you are overweight, and especially if you are obese. and....this isn't school, but in school physical activity IS required. but why would you sign your child up for a summer program that consists of swimming and active field trips if you didn't want them being active? wouldn't you send them to space camp or something? like i said....it has less to do with the fact that they are overweight (although you can't help but notice that the ones who are sitting and doing nothing are overweight) and more to do with the fact that they are scared to try anything new or socialize with others. it really doesn't have anything to do with my recent weight loss because if i hadn't lost the weight i think i would be even more concerned about kids who were headed down the same path.......but i wasn't an obese kid anyway. i am not forcing them to participate in any activities. i didn't force them to do karate, and i don't force them to swim. but i tell them that they may NOT sit on a bench under a tent for three hours. saying i'm forcing them to do something by saying it's not okay for them to sit there like that would be like saying i am forcing them to eat because i make them go to the cafeteria during lunch time. ever heard you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink? it's kind of the same thing......i can lead them to the playground, but i can't make them play. the thing is....when i lead them to the playground they find something to do! they could choose to sit down on the playground if they wanted to, but they didn't. one played in the sand.....one got on a tricycle....i didn't MAKE them do that. and it's not like i'm sitting in the shade drinking ice cold lemonade during this time. do you think i like being out in the heat walking around in circles for that long? i COULD and most teachers do park it on a bench in the shade and gossip while not even paying attention to what the kids are doing and are oblivious to the kids who are being picked on and left out. but i'm walking around listening to what they're saying and trying to get the kids who are left out to be included. when you work with kids you don't have parents come in saying "did he play by himself all day and not talk to anyone? great!" they come in and ask "is he playing okay with everyone? does he have friends? does he get along with the kids?" that's what typical parents want for their kids.




    4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

  6. #13
    Gold Phenster lovemyboys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO.
    Posts
    736
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    I disagree, this is the parents job. This is not a teacher place... You were very adamant in a previos post about seperation of church and state... I think this is just as bad. I will teach my child the lessons in life, the teachers or in your case the asst. need to stick to the education curriculum, and the basics.
    I would be very upset if my child was forced to particapate in a non required activity by the superindent and the board. This is the parents job peirod! It is not your job to judge the parents skills. Unless of course you suspect abuse.
    I am sure your enthusiasum with this subject is due to your recent success in you weight...,but it kind of reminds me of a reformed smoker? You know? I know what is better for you because ive done that. Well no thank you! I know what is better for my child.
    Last edited by lovemyboys; June 29th, 2008 at 12:21 AM.

  7. #12
    Diamond Phenster Band Mamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    " think the reason these kids would rather stay attached to the teacher's hips than go out and play with kids their age has nothing to do with the fact that they're overweight, but the fact that their parents don't give them any attention so they're trying to get it from their teachers. being overweight is just a side effect of being left alone and babysat by a T.V."

    Sorry, but bull crap. Been there, done that. I respectfully and totally disagree that weight has nothing to do with being outcast socially.

  8. #11
    Gold Phenster LoSingWeightin08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    896
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    if we had a world full of great parents that would teach their children everything they needed to know then we wouldn't need teachers at all would we? unfortunately, we have parents who would rather plop their kid in front of the television with a bag of cheetos instead of helping them write their name or learn to read......that's why we need teachers who butt in to people's personal lives. social skills has everything to do with education. if a kid's mind is always distracted by the fact that their peers are making fun of them then how are they supposed to focus on what the teacher "should be teaching them".....oh, but when that kid who is 100+ pounds and just "isn't interested" in physical activities comes home with an F then it's all the teacher's fault......it has nothing to do with the fact that the parents aided them in being a social outcast to the point they can't even focus.

    i think the reason these kids would rather stay attached to the teacher's hips than go out and play with kids their age has nothing to do with the fact that they're overweight, but the fact that their parents don't give them any attention so they're trying to get it from their teachers. being overweight is just a side effect of being left alone and babysat by a T.V.

    If parents would go outside and play with their kids or sign them up for extra curricular activities then they might not be so scared to try them out of fear of failure.

    also, it wouldn't even matter if these kids weighed 40 pounds soaking wet......i still wouldn't think it was okay for them to sit under a shaded tent for three hours doing nothing. there is nothing healthy or beneficial about that.

    I wasn't left alone or babysat by a T.V. growing up. In fact, my parents put time limits on me & my brother when we were in school and we were limited to 2 hours of tv a week & 2 hours on the internet. I loved to go outside and ride my bike and play with the kids in my neighborhood(well a couple of them). I loved running too @ recess. But the thing that caused me to become overweight was not b/c of my parents. It was because of ME. I used to sneak food all the time & I'd eat all my food @ lunch...most of the time I'd finish before anyone else in my class, thats how fast I was eating! Idk about the kids in ur summer camp tho. I still think that they might wanna join in but they've probably been rejected so much by the other kids that they're withdrawn and just keep to themselves.
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3





    Starting over again!!!!

  9. #10
    Gold Phenster dbethied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    878
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Staceyrella View Post
    Thank god this is a public forum and I have freedom to speak and you did ask my 2 cents SO.... here it is...

    I have a son who is 4'11 and weighs 115 lbs. I would be VERY pissed at someone who took it upon themselves to try and make my kid more active. Me personally, I have my son do things he likes. For example, he hates sports... but he loves a good water fight. I know for a fact he is not active at school because nothing interest him. He is a child that finds drawing and building and Oragomi (sp*) Way more interesting then running around a playground.

    I too was an overweight child. for the most part, I was very active. I even played sports. Didn't help my weight one bit. What I think schools need to do is focus more on teaching kids something educational rather then butting into their personal lives. When I was in school, teachers taught... the teachers that I have dealt with since my kids have been in school have all pretty much done the exact opposite. Teachers are under paid and I think these days they don't feel they have to teach like they did in my day.

    I doubt there is any policy stating you can make a kid be more active. But then again they are trying to take the Pledge of Allegence out of school so anything is possible...

    I know one thing... any person trying to make my kid more active would have H E L L to pay... I am the parent.. NOT them.

    By the way, I am not saying all teachers are no good... just the ones I have dealt with so far. The best one I have dealt with was actually a teacher that taught when I was my kids' age. She was Old Skool and that rocked.

    if we had a world full of great parents that would teach their children everything they needed to know then we wouldn't need teachers at all would we? unfortunately, we have parents who would rather plop their kid in front of the television with a bag of cheetos instead of helping them write their name or learn to read......that's why we need teachers who butt in to people's personal lives. social skills has everything to do with education. if a kid's mind is always distracted by the fact that their peers are making fun of them then how are they supposed to focus on what the teacher "should be teaching them".....oh, but when that kid who is 100+ pounds and just "isn't interested" in physical activities comes home with an F then it's all the teacher's fault......it has nothing to do with the fact that the parents aided them in being a social outcast to the point they can't even focus.

    i think the reason these kids would rather stay attached to the teacher's hips than go out and play with kids their age has nothing to do with the fact that they're overweight, but the fact that their parents don't give them any attention so they're trying to get it from their teachers. being overweight is just a side effect of being left alone and babysat by a T.V.

    If parents would go outside and play with their kids or sign them up for extra curricular activities then they might not be so scared to try them out of fear of failure.

    also, it wouldn't even matter if these kids weighed 40 pounds soaking wet......i still wouldn't think it was okay for them to sit under a shaded tent for three hours doing nothing. there is nothing healthy or beneficial about that.




    4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

  10. #9
    Gold Phenster LoSingWeightin08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    896
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbethied View Post
    well, there is a law that says the kids have to go outside every day as long as it's not below freezing. so, i'm not the only one who thinks physical activity is an important part of education. not to mention all of the research that backs up the fact the physical activity plays a big part in brain development.

    i don't expect these kids to go out and run laps or anything like that. i'm just saying when we are outside they should be doing SOMETHING. sitting under a tent in the shade and twiddling their thumbs for three hours is not doing something. i wasn't an athletic kid.....i couldn't hit a ball with a bat if my life depended on it. i still remember HAVING to play baseball in school. but that doesn't even matter.....if these kids like to sit on their butts and play with blocks then okay......i encouraged them to go out onto the playground with the blocks and see how high they could stack them. at least they would be moving a little bit and standing up. i drew a hopscotch board on the basketball court and jumped on it and the little girl did it once and then would migrate back to the tent. my thing is these kids are only 5 and 6 years old so if they start socializing and getting involved NOW then maybe they won't be obese teenagers or the kid that nobody wants to play with. swimming? the pool is like 4 ft. deep so it's not like the kids are swimming laps or anything vigorous. they could just get in or even sit on the edge of the pool. it's just the fact that they don't participate in anything at all that worries me. they want to sit with the teachers all day and talk, and that's not healthy. everybody wants to complain about teachers not doing their job......but isn't it a teacher's job to encourage kids to try new things and discover what they like? how will they know what they like if they're sitting under a tent all day? that's all i'm saying. i didn't tell them what they HAD to do....i just told them what they could NOT do which was sit on a bench in the shade the whole time. and when i did that they went and found something to do. i know if my child's teacher told me that they were sitting by themselves and wouldn't try anything new i would be more worried than if the teacher told me that she wouldn't let them sit by themselves under a tent for hours.

    swimming..i love to swim & i loved when we went to the splash park @ camp!! but every once in a while some kid would comment about how fat i looked in my bathing suit..looking back on it now im like "whatever"..but when ur 6 years old..words cut deep.
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3





    Starting over again!!!!

  11. #8
    Gold Phenster dbethied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    878
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    well, there is a law that says the kids have to go outside every day as long as it's not below freezing. so, i'm not the only one who thinks physical activity is an important part of education. not to mention all of the research that backs up the fact the physical activity plays a big part in brain development.

    i don't expect these kids to go out and run laps or anything like that. i'm just saying when we are outside they should be doing SOMETHING. sitting under a tent in the shade and twiddling their thumbs for three hours is not doing something. i wasn't an athletic kid.....i couldn't hit a ball with a bat if my life depended on it. i still remember HAVING to play baseball in school. but that doesn't even matter.....if these kids like to sit on their butts and play with blocks then okay......i encouraged them to go out onto the playground with the blocks and see how high they could stack them. at least they would be moving a little bit and standing up. i drew a hopscotch board on the basketball court and jumped on it and the little girl did it once and then would migrate back to the tent. my thing is these kids are only 5 and 6 years old so if they start socializing and getting involved NOW then maybe they won't be obese teenagers or the kid that nobody wants to play with. swimming? the pool is like 4 ft. deep so it's not like the kids are swimming laps or anything vigorous. they could just get in or even sit on the edge of the pool. it's just the fact that they don't participate in anything at all that worries me. they want to sit with the teachers all day and talk, and that's not healthy. everybody wants to complain about teachers not doing their job......but isn't it a teacher's job to encourage kids to try new things and discover what they like? how will they know what they like if they're sitting under a tent all day? that's all i'm saying. i didn't tell them what they HAD to do....i just told them what they could NOT do which was sit on a bench in the shade the whole time. and when i did that they went and found something to do. i know if my child's teacher told me that they were sitting by themselves and wouldn't try anything new i would be more worried than if the teacher told me that she wouldn't let them sit by themselves under a tent for hours.




    4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

  12. #7
    Silver Phenster Staceyrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    301
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    Thank god this is a public forum and I have freedom to speak and you did ask my 2 cents SO.... here it is...

    I have a son who is 4'11 and weighs 115 lbs. I would be VERY pissed at someone who took it upon themselves to try and make my kid more active. Me personally, I have my son do things he likes. For example, he hates sports... but he loves a good water fight. I know for a fact he is not active at school because nothing interest him. He is a child that finds drawing and building and Oragomi (sp*) Way more interesting then running around a playground.

    I too was an overweight child. for the most part, I was very active. I even played sports. Didn't help my weight one bit. What I think schools need to do is focus more on teaching kids something educational rather then butting into their personal lives. When I was in school, teachers taught... the teachers that I have dealt with since my kids have been in school have all pretty much done the exact opposite. Teachers are under paid and I think these days they don't feel they have to teach like they did in my day.

    I doubt there is any policy stating you can make a kid be more active. But then again they are trying to take the Pledge of Allegence out of school so anything is possible...

    I know one thing... any person trying to make my kid more active would have H E L L to pay... I am the parent.. NOT them.

    By the way, I am not saying all teachers are no good... just the ones I have dealt with so far. The best one I have dealt with was actually a teacher that taught when I was my kids' age. She was Old Skool and that rocked.
    My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking!

    http://www.myspace.com/fishlippswhoa

    2/12/08-346.8 (Started Weight Watchers)
    3/11/08- 332.8 (Down 14lbs. in 4 weeks!)
    3/16/08- 330 (Started Phentermine)
    3/31/08-327 (According to the dr's scale)
    4/15/08-321
    4/29/08- 318
    5/9/08-313
    5/20/08- 311
    6/03/08-314(+3 lbs.)2 weeks of BAD eating! Poor choices! ETC!
    6/17/08-311 THANK GOD I LOST WHAT I HAD GAINED!
    7/8/08-309 (Finally back on track)

    7/15/08-308 (slooooooow)
    7/29/08-306

  13. #6
    Silver Phenster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    477
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    I don't see the point in having your kids go to an active summer camp and then sit around all day while outside.

    Not only a waste of money but it makes sense WHY so many kids are overweight these days. I wasn't an overweight kid, but an overweight teen and if I had pushed myself/someone helped me push myself I might not weigh as much as I do today.

  14. #5
    Gold Phenster Tarheelgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    678
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    This is a tough one. Its possible that the other kids are making them uncomfortable, but I think its great that you are trying to include them & get them moving.

    My daughter is in 1st grade, well she's now going to 2nd, and she had a very overweight girl in her class. She told me how the other kids would tell her not to play with this little girl, because she was fat. My daughter knows better to pick at someone because of their appearance, so she & this little girl became great friends. I took them skating once & it broke my heart when this little girl pointed to my daughter & asked me how did my daughter get like that. I asked her, get like what. She said, skinny. It was an eye opener for me, because I wasn't aware that 6 yr olds were so aware.

    If you can include them in other things, that would be great. What about playing kick ball or something, so they would have to run around bases? I think its great that you care!

    Height 5'7
    SW - 178 (2-20-08)
    GW- 155
    Lost 16.4 lbs in 6 weeks on phen
    Lost additonal 9.6 after phen from 4-9-08 to 6-20-08
    Below goal & size 8 in most things 6-20-08


    DESPERATELY TRYING TO MAINTAIN!

    LIFE AFTER PHEN CHALLENGE

    [[/url]

  15. #4
    Gold Phenster mapgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    625
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    I do see what you are saying, but I would have a big problem with someone other than me or my husband "making" my child do anything. I have one child that is super outgoing and one that is super shy. If a teacher made my shy child try to interact with others she would just shut down.

    But, like I said before, I really do see what you are saying. I know that you want to get them active. Could you do a dance off? or some kind of animal/drama thing with all the kids moving?
    Weight before Phen 175
    SW - 170 (started Phen 4/15/08)
    CW - 160 (4/29/08)
    CW - 152 (5-22-08)
    CW - 147 (6-9-08)
    cw- 133 (9-28-08)
    CW- 125.5 (11-13-08)
    CW - 123 (12-20-08)
    GW - 120


  16. #3
    Gold Phenster dbethied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    878
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    well, one is a five year old boy and the other is a six year old girl. i see what you are saying about them not being welcome, but from what i've seen that's not really the case. AND if it is.......i still think the two of them could go out and play together as opposed to the two of them sitting on the bench for three hours staring at each other and occassionally talking.




    4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

  17. #2
    Gold Phenster LoSingWeightin08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    896
    Photos
    View albums

    Default

    As a former fat kid, I can say I HATED summer camps. I used to love to play with the other kids, but a lot of them would tease me for being big. I'm sorta (well very) sensitive, and while they may want to join in with the activities, they may not be welcomed by the others. When I did go 2 camp I would swim and play and do everything though. They could just be shy too..I feel bad for them Kids are soo cruel these days..
    The proof is in the pics!!! <3





    Starting over again!!!!

  18. #1
    Gold Phenster dbethied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    878
    Photos
    View albums

    Default OT - overweight kids who won't play

    okay....

    right now i'm working at a child care center. they have a summer program for school age children. we go on field trips 2 times a week. they also have a swimming pool at the center which we use 3 times a week. well, there are a couple of kids there who never want to participate in ANYTHING. they don't swim. they don't participate in activities on field trips (lazer tag, karate, gymnastics) they just sit on the side with the teachers the whole time. well, when it is swim day we are outside for a total of 3 hours. since they aren't swimming they can play on the playground with the other kids who are waiting on their turn to swim, but they don't....ever! so, three times a week they sit at a picnic table that is under a shaded tent for three hours each day. i should also mention that these kids are very overweight....if i had to guess i would say obese. one is five years old and one is six years old. well, yesterday i decided i wasn't going to let them sit in the shade for three hours. in my opinion, they need to get some exercise or even socialize if they don't want to do anything physical. so, i told the teacher i work with that i wasn't going to allow them to sit at those tables anymore because it's ridiculous. we're not allowed to sit at them, either. so, i just think if grown people aren't allowed to sit and rest in the shade then five and six year old kids shouldn't be able to ...not for the entire time. i DO think it's okay for them to come and sit, get water, and rest for awhile after they've been playing....don't get me wrong. anyway, the teacher i told that to said something to the director, and the director told her it's appropriate to sit the whole time if they want to and build with blocks or color or something. i would agree with that if it was something they did every now and then...but every time? AND even if they don't bring something out to play with....they will sit out those tables and stare into space for 3 hours before they would get up and do something. what's the point in sitting in the shade and coloring....we can do that INSIDE! the kids weren't happy with me when i wouldn't let them sit there yesterday, BUT one ended up riding a tricycle and the other ended up playing in the sand for awhile and talking to a couple of other kids. what do you guys think? i don't want to do the wrong thing. does anyone who works at a school know of a policy on this type of thing? i'm going to look more into the policy where i work, but i just feel really strongly about it. the other teacher said, "we can't FORCE them to go play." well, i don't feel like i'm FORCING them. it's not like i'm physically pushing them down the slides or anything. and if they want to sit down they could sit somewhere on the playground technically. SIGH.....i don't know. i'd love to hear what you all think.




    4-2-08 202.2 lbs SW (began b12/lipo shot 1 a week - no phen)
    4-9-08 193.6 lbs
    4-16-08 190.8 lbs
    4-23-08 188.0 lbs
    4-30-08 185.6 lbs
    5-7-08 185.6 lbs
    5-14-08 181.2 lbs
    5-21-08 178.8 lbs
    5-28-08 177.6 lbs
    6-04-08 176.8 lbs (stopped the shots. trying it on my own)
    6-16-08 175.6 lbs (went back to the shots today!)
    7-9-08 170.6 lbs (slowing down, but still going down!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. BMI Says Overweight
    By terilyn61 in forum My Experience with Phentermine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 18th, 2007, 01:12 AM
  2. anyone else worry about if their kids will be overweight?
    By chriswil20 in forum My Experience with Phentermine (Year 2005)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
  3. WHY THE FLUCK OUR WE HERE! WHY ARE WE OVERWEIGHT!
    By EBONY POETESS in forum My Experience with Phentermine (Year 2004)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: July 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
  4. Should parents be responsible for Overweight kids??
    By ChristinaMarieNY in forum My Experience with Phentermine (Year 2004)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
  5. What if you are not overweight
    By vivy in forum New Members
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •