Lorcaserin

Thread: Lorcaserin

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I've met a woman who is also participating in the trial. She said that after 4 weeks the drug was no longer helping her at all, but she wants to lose weight so she's battling on all by herself.

The phase 2 trials were unimpressive, the highest dose group lost an averate of 7.9 pounds in 12 weeks, that's less than a pound a week. The placebo group lost .7 pounds, even though all groups were not given any diet or exercise instructions.

All diet drugs are minimally effective.

The scary thing about lorcaserin is that it's a serotonergic drug like fenfluramine. The company that produces lorcaserin says they "believe" that it is a 5-HT2C receptor agonist and they "believe" that this will help people lose weight by suppressing appetite. Could be that the people taking it feel so dizzy and disconcerted in the beginning that they don't feel like eating so much. I notice that Bruce didn't make any more posts, so I wonder how it went for him.

Btw, fenfluramine was a 5-HT2B receptor agonist and it caused major heart valve damage. The people in the lorcaserin trials are getting echocardiograms to make sure that this drug too does not damage peoples' hearts. The published data so far only reveals that there weren't enough cases of heart damage to stop the trial, but were there ANY cases ??? Wyeth covered up the fenfluramine damage, misreported it to the FDA, so I do not trust for one minute the reporting by any other company of serious adverse effects which might squash FDA approval or hurt sales.

And what if there isn't any heart damage ... but there ends up being brain damage ? It appears the drug company isn't testing any other organs.

So we've got a potentially horrible situation. We've got a drug company developing and testing a drug that it hopes to sell to people who aren't even ill. They don't even know how their own damned drug works, or IF it works at all, and they don't know if there are any long-term health issues. They admit that when they stopped administering the drug to lab animals, the animals regained all lost weight, so there's every reason to believe the same thing will happen with people.

Btw, there are other drugs in the pipeline, including several anti-convulsants that the drug companies now wish to market as diet drugs ! It's like every company has drugs for which a side effect is loss of appetite, so they want to sell the drugs for weight loss because the weight loss drug business is a freaking cash cow ! Billions upon billions to be made. Look what happened to the fenfluramine users, many with valve damage requiring transplant, many with primary pulmonary hypertension, and some who never lived to tell about it. Some of these people with severe damage took the drug for only a few months. Some of them didn't experience any symptoms for years, and then all of the sudden they are dealthy ill. This is too scary !!

Juist say no, people. Don't play with your life. If you want to take a drug, take one that has withstood the test of time. I didn't like phentermine but at least it's been shown to be relatively safe, if taken in a cautious manner, and it does appear to help people. Do not be a guinea pig for a drug company that is just shoving whatever drug at you because it wants to make money off of you.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Smile lorcaserin

I am part of the investigational study and it's going fine. I'm at the end of my fourth week and have lost somewhere around 8 - 10 pounds. My scale is not as high-tech as theirs. I love seeing the nutritionist and the food education is wonderful. I'm in the 1400-1600 calorie range and cannot eat all of the recommended food, no matter how hard I try. I've had no unpleasant side-effects - well, actually none at all. I do get hungry, but it's much controlled and ever so manageable. We'll just have to see how it goes!!!

Good luck.

Photos
    View albums

You're looking great! Phen doesn't make me feel very well, even when I take a very small amount my body is overly sensitive. While doing a weight loss research search, I found a research trial company just down the road from where we live and figured it was worth discussing and meeting the doctors to get my questions answered and my concerns. Then if I qualify, they have you meet with a dietitian as well which would be great for me since I am on a GF diet.

I've been exercising and watching my diet for over a year and I think with the Gluten Free diet I am on, it has messed up my body since I haven't lost any weight but actually keep gaining weight. I started taking vitamins and minerals and began seeing some changes finally happening like Fish Oil, Vit D3 and other supplements which my doctor tested for and found out I was deficient in.

So wanted to ask the forum to seee if anyone else have done one of these trials. Thanks!
    Trying to get on track once again...

REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES AND I GOT PLENTY TO GO AROUND!

Photos
    View albums

Never heard of that before. Interesting . . . going to Google it right now.
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

Photos
    View albums

Yes, I read the same information but figured I would ask the forum. I am going to see if I qualify for the study. If so, its a 56 week research trial with 17 appointments throughout and everything is free.

Banned
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er View Post
    So there is a research study going on by where I live for the weight loss drug Lorcaserin. Has anyone tried this yet and if so, what were your results and side effects? Thanks!
    According to what I have read,it's still in trials and IF the fda approves it,somewhere around 2010 it could hit the market,time will tell I guess.

Photos
    View albums

Default Lorcaserin

So there is a research study going on by where I live for the weight loss drug Lorcaserin. Has anyone tried this yet and if so, what were your results and side effects? Thanks!