1200 Calories a day
    Silver Phenster

Hi sunkitti,

There's an old rule of thumb that a sedentary woman needs 8 cals per pound of body weight per day to maintain her weight, and a moderately active woman needs 10 cals per pound per day. So by this rule and knowing that you exercise 3 times a week, you might require 1350 cals/day to maintain your 135 pounds.

If you eat 1200 cals/day and you require 1350 cals/day, over the course of a week you would have a deficit of 1050 cals which translates to only a 1/3 of a pound loss (a pound of fat being 3500 calories).

If you eat 600 cals/day, then over the course of a week you would have a 1.5 pound loss.

If you feel uncomfortable at 600, maybe you can eat a little more and exercise more ? That would actually help you gain (or at least retain) your muscle mass which will help you burn up more calories.
    5'4"
    HW 205+
    LW 123 was a wreck, then became bulimic
    GW 160 still heavy, won't care

06/21/2005 205
    07/22/2005 tried 15mg Phen, didn't like it
    08/02/2005 203
    10/04/2005 195
    11/01/2005 191
    12/05/2005 189
    01/31/2006 185
    03/14/2006 180
    08/21/2006 180
    09/13/2006 182
    10/08/2007 172

2. Advertising
    advertising

Starting tommarow I am back @ the gym full time, and will consume 900 calories per day. I want to see if this will work, I am going to do this until Feb to see if this helps. I am also going to GNC to buy some CLA to take with my Phen, and my doctor gave me another prescription for Phen, and my water pill. So, I will see if this works. The hard times for me are on the weekends. I tend to want to eat more whan I am at home. I quit smoking as well, so the urge to eat is really there.

when i first lost, i was averaging 500cals a day...and as soon as i started eating more and not taking phen i gained it right back. But this time around, i ate more cals and am pretty much staying the same, between 111 and 114.

I think eating so little calories works for short term only, just my .02
    "Being a Leader is like being a Lady, if you have to say you are,
    then you aren't"

PHENTASTIC PHRENDS CHALLENGE~*~*

SW: 163
    CW: 112
    GW: ^im happy

Hi Trent. Actually, I heard that on the Biggest Loser. (The if you plateau, it means your body is dehydrated.) That was my source. And it just stuck in my mind because when I was on phen before I always got sick of the water and stopped losing. Hope that helps.
    -------------------
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

i didnt do anything different...it just started again...i think i lost so much that my body just had to catch up with all the changes...i just kept plugging along...on the average 2000 a day and daily exercise...

Hey Mustang,

I took at look at your pics -- you and I are shaped a lot alike. I wear a 10 petite or an 8 in misses. If I started toning up with weights
    I could be in a 6 misses at 135lbs,but it is a numbers thing with me. I weighed 110 in college but want 125 to be my 'adult' weight.

How did you start back losing again after maintaining at 155?

Benson, Come to think of it, I have actually slacked off my water a little bit, just because I don't think about it as much now, especially when I'm off work and we've had a lot of days off for Christmas here and there. I think that messed me up. Also, I have started a weight lifting program, which is giving me less time to do my cardio. I have to keep that up and I know that part will catch up. That makes a lot of since though.

Athena, As a matter of fact, this is my second day off Phen. Not deliberately, but I haven't been feeling too well this weekend, so I didn't take Phen yesterday because I woke up to late and same thing today. I will just plan on not taking it again until I go back to work on Tuesday. That will give me 4 days off. By Tuesday it should be working really good.

MustangSally, that makes a lot of since. I know my body would have to go for years without food before it would get starved.....j/k
    Have a great day!

Trent

Before

3/16/2006

Start Date: November 12, 2005
    Mini-goals (300 and 235)
    Ultimate Goal (190)

i think the whole starvation mode thing kicks in when your body is aware it may have less to actually starve off...meaning if you are overweight by extemes...you will not have to worry about this so much as someone who is only 10 lbs overweight...i personally wouldn't want to live off of 500 calories a day...since i went off phen in august i have averaged 2000 a day a maintained daily exercise...for months i maintained at 155...recently i started dropping again...and am now down to 146...still considered overweight for someone 5'2"...but ohwell, can't make everyone happy...i fit into a 6 or an 8...and have no desire to be anything less than a 6...i don't think women are supposed to look like a starved stick figures...and i feel good...and i think that is all that matters....do you feel good about you? because there is no one guide line that applies everyone...everyone is different....do what is right for you...

I think based on your body size, sunkitti, that 800 calories a day should be fine. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there regarding caloric requirements. I've been on phen for almost 7 months. I eat anywhere between 700 and 1200 calories a day, and I lost over 100 pounds in six months. I've talked to my doctor about calorie requirements, and he said that metabolism is not like a switch that just shuts off when your calorie level drops below a certain level. A person's metabolism naturally fluctuates. I have yet to have a month in the last seven that I've lost less than 10 pounds, and some months have been 20 pounds, and that's while eating an average of 1000 calories a day!

Also, an interesting thing I learned is the findings of the National Weight Control Registry, based at Brown Medical School, which tracks over 5,000 individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off for a long period of time. They found that, on average, in order to maintain weight loss, the people the track eat an average or 1,300 calories. Note this is just to MAINTAIN, not lose. This is a much lower number than the 2,000 calories a day that the government recommends for the average person. So, my conclusion? In order to lose, I should consume less than what it would take to maintain loss, or less than 1,300 calories/day. I'm not a doctor, and I may be off-base here, but this is what I do, and having lost 118 pounds since June 6, 2005, I'd say it's working for me... and knock on wood, it'll keep working for me!

PhenGuy

imjustagoyle

To me, 1200 cals a day is A LOT! But, I seem to be satisfied (and losing well) between 700-1000 calories a day.

Trent, have you tried going off the phen for a few days? I went off for three days. Day two was hard, I needed a nap. But when I started again I could feel it working again for me.
    SW: 210
    CW: 193.5
    GW: 140

Winter Goals!
    12/29/05 - 3/20/06 (first day of spring AND my birthday)
    Keep calorie intake under 1500
    Exercise Five Days a week
    Lose 20 pounds

2/10/06 - First time I jogged 1.75 miles without stopping to walk!
    2/27/06 - First time I jogged 2.50 miles without stopping to walk!

I have heard, and again, I just HEARD this. There is no medical proof to back this up, but if you plateau, that means your body is dehydrated. Another thing is if you plateau, that's when you need to kick in or up the exercise/cardio.
    -------------------

Now, my body size, there should be no problem losing weight even at 2000 calories a day. My doctor put me on 900 calories a day. Now when I first started Phen, some of you Phen veterans had said that if you eat less than 1200 calories a day your body will go into starvation mode and even though you will lose weight at first, it will come to a stand still. I'm not at a stand still. I lost the 4 pounds that I gained at Christmas, but now I'm stuck, and my Phen isn't working near as well as it used to. Sometimes I wonder if I even took it. I'm going to the doctor on Wednesday, and I"ll let you know what I find out, but I'm not happy with the results right now for this week. Plus, I want to eat everything I see. I haven't, but I've certainly been eating differently than when I started. Christmas I think messed me up, but even though i"m still motivated, I've lost track of what I was doing, I think. I don't know. Maybe I'm just at a Plateau. Today is starting week 7, I believe. Any suggestions?
    Have a great day!

Trent

Before

3/16/2006

Start Date: November 12, 2005
    Mini-goals (300 and 235)
    Ultimate Goal (190)

Diamond Phenster buttercupsbabie2's Avatar

BRINTEY~ RIGT NOW YOUR LOSING WATER BUT YOU NEED TO EAT ATLEAST 1000 A DAY! MULTIPLY YOUR BODY WEIGHT BY 11 AN DTHAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE EATING A DAY! MULTIPLY IT BY 10 AND EAT THAT AMOUNT OF CALORIES AND YOU WILL LOSE A CONSISTINT AMOUTH OF WEIGHT EVERY WEEK!!!!!!!!!!
    Weigh In 15th Of Each Month:
    Starting Weight:246 AGAIN

MONTH 1: -11 (235)
    MONTH 2: -6 (229) -17

JOURNEY:
    The bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you refuse to take the turn.

Bronze Phenster

Hi, I am new the Phen and I just started about a couple of says ago and I am eating about 500 calories a day and so far just with the couple of days I have lost about 15 pounds. But maybe I am lossing muscle is that possible? What should I do?
    hope somebody can help me
    brintey

I guess it depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to simply lose weight, then cutting calories drastically may give you the results your looking for. If your goal is to be healthy and live longer, then I think the goal should be nutrition and exercise.

My aunt lost a lot of weight when she was going through her divorce, and she looked great. But what a horrible way to lose weight, from a broken heart and stress. She, of course, has since put all the weight back on.

I used to be so concerned with the number the scale gave me. Now, my focus is more about clearing myself of bad habits and replacing them with healthy ones so that I can live a long and healthy life without increasing my risk for things like heart disease and cancer.

I've seen people die from both. It ain't pretty. Scared me enough to get my ash in gear.
    SW: 210
    CW: 193.5
    GW: 140

Winter Goals!
    12/29/05 - 3/20/06 (first day of spring AND my birthday)
    Keep calorie intake under 1500
    Exercise Five Days a week
    Lose 20 pounds

2/10/06 - First time I jogged 1.75 miles without stopping to walk!
    2/27/06 - First time I jogged 2.50 miles without stopping to walk!

I totally agree. I am 4'11" and started off at 160. So I keep my calories at about 800 calories a day, up to a 1000 if I am exercising. But no more than 1000.
    -------------------

Platinum Phenster nickandsydsmom's Avatar

I too have often wondered that! Most of my skinny friends don't really eat a whole lot. When my best friend was going through her divorce she was only eating tiny amounts and she lost 30# in about 4 months. She has tons of energy and has kept the weight off even after increasing her intake. I wish I had a good clear answer because I would do it if I knew I wouldn't damage myself in the long run.
    SW 233
    CW 194

I was telling a girl at work that a person should try to maintain at least 1200 calories per day to keep moving toward weightloss. She said she hasn't eaten 1200 calories a day in years. She said she does maybe 600-700 per day most days. I was shocked when she said that, but she continued to lose her post-pregnancy weight at the same rate that I was losing, so whatever works for you, go for it. I personally like to eat, so I rarely go under 1500.
    31 years old
    5'4"
    HW: 194
    SW: 187 (size 14)
    CW: 158 (size 8/10)
    GW: 135-140

You know Sun...I've wondered the same thing. I don't doubt the need for 1200 for nutritional reasons but I think everyone's body is different. I can't eat that little amount of cals because if I get over hungry I binge. I think you just have to get to know your body and make sure you don't deprive yourself of the necessities.

Jen
    Spring Into Action Challenge

Overall Goal

If I eat 1200 calories a day I won't lose weight
    or lose it extremely slow ( maybe a 1 lb a month)
    which a DE-motivator for me.

If I eat 600-800 calories a day (and exercise about 3 times a week) I see progress.

I'm only 5'2" and around 135 lbs (started at 160 lbs 10/10/2005). I think if you are larger person, the 1200 calorie thing may apply but it does no hold true for me. I maintain at that
    calorie level with little or no weight loss.

Also, with gastric bypass, the people I know that have had it eat extremely small portions.
    I don't think they are consuming 1200 a day,and
    yet some of them have lost as much as 120 lbs
    or 1/2 their body weight in 1 yr. So I can't buy
    into the starvation mode / won't lose weight theory when real life tells me differently.

Now, if it is true that under 1200 calories you
    go into starvation mode -- maybe I keep my metabloism guessing too much. I have a cheat day. Sometimes it may be 1 day a week or 2 like during the holidays. I also find this cheat
    meal gives my digestive system a 'boost' and gets
    things moving out, if you know what I mean.

Any thoughts on this?