Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default Smoking and Phentermine?

Does anyone on here smoke? I was just wondering because I do, and a friend who has been on Phen for a while said that the doctors won't prescribe it if they know you smoke. I'm going to a clinic later this week to get some Phentermine, and I don't want to do or say anything that will make them reluctant to prescribe it for me. I know that sounds horrible, but I don't have insurance and I can't afford to go from doctor to doctor to find one who will help me. If that's what it takes, I'll quit smoking to be able to take this. I haven't seen or met anyone who doesn't swear by Phentermine.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My doctor prescribed my phen when she knew that I was a smoker but, it is probably up to each individual doctor what they will choose to do- smoking raises your blood pressure and so does the phen. my doctor made me check my blood pressure every day the first month on phen to make sure it was ok.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Oh, and one more thing- my doctor did say that I could take chantix and phen at the same time. I started the chantix about three weeks ago and have not had a cigarrette since- and I feel ok! Not like I have in the past when I have tried to quit smoking on my own.

Photos
    View albums

I also smoke and take Phen. I'm not a heavy smoker, I'd say 2 or 3 packs a week. I was also scared to tell my doctor that I did smoke, because I thought he wouldn't prescribe it to me... but it didn't even come up. I just made sure I didn't smoke on the way there, so I didn't smell like it. haha To be honest I prob would have said no if he asked .
    Since on Phen (started 2/3/10) I've noticed I crave smoking more, which s ucks. I try to avoid smoking an hour or two after I take the pill, when I feel most jittery, to avoid panic attacks. I also avoid coffee because I've been prone to anxiety attacks on Phen, and the extra caffeine in coffee doesn't help.

I think it all depends on how your body reacts to it. Good Luck!

June 9th 2011- Start Phen- 205lbs
    week 1 weigh in, June 16th- 200
    week 2 weigh in, June 23rd- 196
    week 3 weigh in, June 30th-
    week 4 weigh in at the doctors, July 7th-

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I smoke too- my dr didnt ask. I find myself smoking more after I get the injections. I didn't begin smoking until I begin Phen and the injections the first time around. It's never done anything for hunger-its always been for anxiety since I no longer take anti-anxiety meds.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Are there any other reasons that a doctor won't prescribe Phen? I really want to be prepared. I'm going tomorrow and I'm soo nervous. Like I said before, I don't have insurance, so this it kind of an all or nothing thing. If they won't prescribe, I don't get to try again.

Photos
    View albums

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jexa View Post
    Are there any other reasons that a doctor won't prescribe Phen? I really want to be prepared. I'm going tomorrow and I'm soo nervous. Like I said before, I don't have insurance, so this it kind of an all or nothing thing. If they won't prescribe, I don't get to try again.
    Hi,

First I would say, even if you are feeling super desperate to get phen, that you need to be 100% honest with the doctor when they ask you medical questions, there is a reason! I have heard several stories of women taking birth control pills and the phen and having very scarry issues (one had a stroke at 23 years old). As long as you let the doctor know what they need to know then when you get it prescribed you can feel as safe as possible knowing that you should be medically ok to take it. If for some reason you can't take it due to high blood pressure or something like that, you could make getting your bp under control your first goal and then maybe you would feel like you could do the rest on your own or you will have another opportunity to get the phen! I am not trying to upset you or rain on your parade I just want you to be safe

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I smoke and Phen definitely makes you want to smoke more. It helps if you drink a lot of water (no soda or coffee) and chew sugar free gum.

The main thing you need to watch is your blood pressure. I check every other day.

Photos
    View albums

I smoke only when I'm at work, I Know thats horrible especially since I'm a nurse, but sometimes some of my patients get to me lol. I noticed I've went from smoking a 1/2 of a pack a week to at least 2 packs a week.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My DR perscribed phen and all he did was check my blood pressure - well, HE didnt' check it his nurse did. I told him i smoked and he didn't say a thing to me about it.

Wierd thing is, when I get really nervous or panic-y. . which is normal I can deal. . I smoke LESS!!! I dunno, makes my panic kick in full gear. So that's a good thing that I smoke less . . I guess.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I'm 22 years old & I was diagnosed w/ PCOS & border line diabetes about 10 months ago. I've been prescribed Metformin to help me ovulate, Phentermine to help me lose weight, & Synthyroid for my hypothyroidism. I smoke about 1/2 a pack a day, where as I use to only smoke about 2 packs a week. I never mentioned to my doctor that I was a smoker, he never asked so It never crossed my mind. He advised me to watch my self while taking Phen & Metformin b/c for some diabetics there blood sugar gets too high. When I was first diagnosed w/ PCOS I weighed 250lbs, (thats the most i've ever weighed; my normal body weight has always been average, not huge, but not skinny.) I'm now weighing 198lbs & my goal weight is 155lbs. I eventually want to quit smoking, b/c I have noticed since being on Phen I smoke wayyy more than I use to! (:
    SW 2009: 250lbs
    TW: 155lbs
    CW: 198lbs
    I <3 Metformin, Phen & My Thyroid Meds!
    They do wonders!!