Close

View Poll Results: Has anyone else taken phentermine with a antidepressant?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

55 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Photos
    View albums

Question

Hi my name is Irene I have been taking phentermine since may 2006. I have lost about 30 pounds. I recently quit taking it because my husband says it has totally changed my personality. has anyone else had this problem. anxiously awaiting!!!!!!!
    [IMG]

<a href="http://www.extrapounds.com/tracker.bmp/37332.gif[/IMG]
    " target="_blank">http://www.extrapounds.com/tracker.bmp/37332.gif[/img][/URL]</a>

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

falcon: I'm not taking it with a true antidepressant; however, I am on SAM-e, which I guess can be considered a light one.

things seem to be going ok--except somewhat itchy skin! (I started taking sam-e, turmeric, CLA, SesaPURE, a multivitamin, and phen all at roughly the same time though so I can't say which one's doing it to me! haha)

Photos
    View albums

What is Sam-e I have never heard of that before. is it a natural anti depressant. I would love to be bale to stop taking mind because of the side effects!!!!!!!!
    [IMG]

<a href="http://www.extrapounds.com/tracker.bmp/37332.gif[/IMG]
    " target="_blank">http://www.extrapounds.com/tracker.bmp/37332.gif[/img][/URL]</a>

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

sure is--look it up google (tons of resources)

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I am only on day 2 of phentermine but I do take Prozac and have been taking it for 8 months now. I feel like a bonehead saying that I haven't noticed a difference since I have only been on phen for two days.
    Jenny
    SW: 180
    CW: 174
    GW: 120
    Dream Weight: 105

Bronze Phenster AwholeLottaWoman's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I take Wellbutrin XL and the Phen and haven't noticed anything to worry about. :spider_red:
    SW:210 (11-1-06)
    CW:206 (11-8-06)
    CW:198 (11-15-06)
    CW:195 (11-22-06)
    Didn't weigh this week (11-29-06)
    I'm scared to weigh!!
    GW:140

"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints in the sand. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me." The Lord replied: "My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Photos
    View albums

I am taking it with 50mg Zoloft. I have been taking Zoloft for years and it seems to work. I am new to phen and am still experiencing some of the side effects (they are starting to go away, yay!). But I don't think the Zoloft is effecting it in any way. In fact it probably helps a lot with keeping me calm. Especially with the feelings of anxiety I had the first week of taking Phentermine. Like my pharmacist told me... "the benefits of losing the weight outweigh the side effects. The side effects will eventually go away". Plus, you are not going to be on Phen forever, so encourage your hubby to deal with your "personality" for a while longer. You will be healthier, live longer and look beautiful when you reach your goal weight. He really needs to support you throughout this. It is hard to lose weight, and if the Phen helps, I say keep it up. I hope this helped you.
    With God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I take Lexapro 20mg and Lamictal and if anything Phen and losing weight makes me feel even better.
    Start Date: November 22, 2006
    SW:233
    CW:229 11/24
    CW:227.5 11/25
    CW:226.5 11/26
    CW:225
    8 Pounds in 12 Days-I am so happy!
    GW:135ish

Photos
    View albums

My doctor made me stop taking phen when I was put on Lexapro. It says on the Lexapro info sheet specifically not to take it while phentermine. It can lead to Seritonin Syndrome which can be fatal. I have three kids and it's not worth risking my life. I am hoping to switch to Wellbutrin because it is okay to take with phen as it is not classified as a SSRI.

Luckily for me the Lexapro has made my appetite go aways as well as phentermine did.
    11-15: 178/25.6 BMI
    11-27: 168/24.2 BMI
    Goal: 150 by Christmas

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

OOPS! You think my pharmacist would have said something...I will call and ask...
    Start Date: November 22, 2006
    SW:233
    CW:229 11/24
    CW:227.5 11/25
    CW:226.5 11/26
    CW:225
    8 Pounds in 12 Days-I am so happy!
    GW:135ish

Photos
    View albums

I was bummed when I read the information sheet. It specifically named phentermine as well as one other appetite suppressant. My psychologist prescribed Lexapro knowing I was taking phentermine. I've read different trains of thought on mixing the two. For now I am going to er on the side of caution. I'm going to see if he can switch me to something different.
    11-15: 178/25.6 BMI
    11-27: 168/24.2 BMI
    Goal: 150 by Christmas

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I am on effexor 75 and it seems to be fine with the phen

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I had to ween off Lexapro before I could start Phen...Dr's orders!!! The pharmacist also said seretonin syndrome.

I call the pharmacist anytime I mix other drugs with phen. But some SSRI's seem to work with phen???? I would check if you are not taking phen under a Dr's supervision.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

When I took an over the counter diet pill I got very angry and snappy. I haven't noticed any personality changes with Phen and I take Remeron RD 15 mg. I do notice not being able to sleep. Will this symptom go away?

Kelli

Photos
    View albums

I take 100mg zoloft with my phen, my weight Dr checked this before he gave me the phen and said it was fine to take them.I have friends all on phen who take all the antidepressants mentioned here with no problems at all.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I have been on and off Duromine (phentermine) for years and its taken its toll on me (emotionally) Ive become very agitated and short tempered.. not to mention, depressed..

My doctor has told me that I need to quit the Duromine and go on Cipramil to stabilise my moods..But under no circumstances, can I even take a natural energy booster.. and my pharmacist told me that Cipramil will make me more sedated.. Thats the absoloute last thing i need! lol

I guess I too, am looking for an antidepressant that I can safely take with Duromine (we call it Duromine here in Aussie.lol)

Now im faced with not only not losing wieght, but possibly gaining more due to the antidepressant making me sedated

Photos
    View albums

I take phen and also 10mg of Lexapro. My doctor and pharmacist said that it was o.k. There are so many conflicting views.
    SW - 162 12/24/2008
    GW - 150

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I take 200 mg Lamictal (mood leveler) every day, and 5mg Valium when I get really upset. No bad side effects yet! One word of caution to those taking Effexor. I took that for a while, the reason I stopped was because it caused me to GAIN weight! Of course, everyones body is different.
    "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!" Saw this on someone elses signature....I hope they don't mind that I stole it. If it's yours and you do mind, PM me and I'll remove it.

Bronze Phenster Shrinking Violet's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I'm on Paxil and Xanax (I have severe panic disorder). No problems, and my doc said there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    For wont to be a violet!
    Whose shrinking nature is done with grace,
    Her petals shed yet kept in place,
    As fond remembrance of hope, her face,
    Reflects day's delicate dawn.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Hi there! I just picked up my script from Wal-Mart for phentermine, and prozac. I was told by my doctor that he gave me both of these to take together because it would ultimately help the phentermine work better, and work for a longer period of time. I did not know that phentermine stopped working after taking it for 6 months or so, so that is why I will start on it tomorrow, I will let you know if there is any side effects. My doctor says there should not be, and that I will like it a whole lot more. It's called " phen pro "

Photos
    View albums

Default zoloft interaction

I also was taking 50 mg zoloft with phen I have been on zolft for 1.5 years, and doing great. six weeks ago I went on phen,dr. and pharmacist said it was ok. low dosage of zoloft wont hurt. I started having panic attacks about week three I guess, the dr. said he doubted it was zoloft. but gave me valium to stop the panic attacks.I forgot to take zoloft for a few days"because on phen I have problems remembering things" well guess what the anxiety attacks stopped. so I have been off zoloft for about 10 days. today is the first day I have had a Panic attack but I have pms so I can get panicky. spoke to pharmacist again he said sounds like an interaction but it is rare, but not unheard of. now the valium will cancel out the phen,as that is what is used to treat overdose of phen.

Photos
    View albums

Wellbutrin and Phen and now Wellbutrin and Tenuate. Nothing noticeable except I didn't have PHEN RAGE as bad as most. lol
    Wearing these white jeans today...12/28/09..but man are they TIGHT!!

Photos
    View albums

I take Phentermine with Prozac. I started taking the Prozac about a month before the Phentermine. I had some anxiety & mild depression & my Dr. wanted to get that under control before giving me the Phentermine because it can cause anxiety & nervousness itself. I am doing good, I've been on Phentermine about 12 days now.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I'm on phen and Paxil, and having no problems. This is day 10 on phen for me, and so far, so good.

Photos
    View albums

I take phen with 60 mg of Cymbalta and 150 mg of Seroquel and haven't noticed any problems.

Born in Phila.PA, moved to FL in 1976. Now reside In Lenoir City, TN.
    Photos
    View albums

I'm taking Pristiq....which is new and unfortunately pricey. I had a hysterectomy in March of this year and didn't want to start on hormones. I got unbearably depressed and cried alot of the time. I thought about suicide. My terrific pharmacist called my dr. and they made me an appt. I started Pristiq first (then phen after I felt better). They told me the reason they chose this med was that it works fast. Within 48 hours I felt so much better, it was hard to believe. About six years ago I took Effexor XL and it took 2 weeks before I noticed any difference, so I'm very impressed with this med and it's worth every penny to me!!

Photos
    View albums

I have been on prozac for years and sarted taking phen about 5 wks ago. My Dr. told me to watch my moods and if I have any changes to call her. I feel really good but I also work out 5 days a week and that really helps with my moods. Everyone is different but for the first time the scale is going down and that a great feeling.
    10/27 195lbs
    11/23 183lbs
    12/21 176lbs
    01/11 175lbs
    02/02 170.5lb
    03/09 166lbs
    06/04 166lbs

Back on phentermine
    09/15 178:
    09/21 174
    04/25/183

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Xanax with Phen, and yes they can be taken together...FYI ..Zoloft and Cymbalta are big no-no's.......for those of you who have not used this weblink I am going to post it again....you put in your meds, even over the counter and it will give you reactions...as well as foods that you can't take with meds.....I found out I can't take my sleeping pill Ambien with Benedryl when I was stung by a wasp, but I could take Wal-tin...PLEASE use this site, but as always as your doctor too, my doc uses this site also! good luck...incase the link doesn't show just email me...(.**********/drug_interactions)
    http://www.**********/drug_interactions.html
    Start

10-20-2008 155
    11-17-2008 145
    12-17-2008 139
    01-23-2009 ???

Goal 120

Can put weight on foot 11-27-2008, start rehab to walk. walking half mile a day, after work...while I have only lost 6 pounds I did drop another pant size, inches lost and old jeans fitting means more to me than the acutal number on the scale..it is about being fit,,not fitting into a majic number on the scale.

Photos
    View albums

I take 10mg of Lexapro and my 30mg of phen. I specifically asked. Cuz I am a paranoid freak...I have been on phen since Oct. no probs here.

SW Oct-18th-183
    1 wk Oct-25-176
    2 wk Nov-1- 174
    4 wk Nov.13-173
    1 Mo. mini goal-166

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by justus4grls View Post
    I take 10mg of Lexapro and my 30mg of phen. I specifically asked. Cuz I am a paranoid freak...I have been on phen since Oct. no probs here.
    Interactions between your selected drugs
    phentermine and Lexapro (escitalopram) (Major Drug-Drug)

GENERALLY AVOID: Several case reports suggest that patients treated with serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) may exhibit an increased sensitivity to sympathomimetic agents. The mechanism of interaction is unclear. The reaction has been reported when fluoxetine was used concomitantly with phentermine, amphetamine, or phenylpropanolamine. Additionally, some sympathomimetic agents (e.g., amphetamines) may possess serotonergic activity and should generally not be administered with SRIs because of the additive risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors. The interaction occurred in a patient treated with dexamphetamine approximately 2 weeks after the addition of venlafaxine. The medications were discontinued and the patient was given cyproheptadine for suspected serotonin syndrome, whereupon symptoms promptly resolved. A second episode occurred when dexamphetamine was subsequently resumed and citalopram added. The patient improved following cessation of citalopram on his own, and residual symptoms were successfully treated with cyproheptadine.

MANAGEMENT: In general, amphetamines and other sympathomimetic appetite suppressants should not be combined with serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Close monitoring for enhanced sympathomimetic effects is recommended if these agents must be used together. Patients should also be monitored for signs and symptoms of excessive serotonergic activity such as CNS irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, myoclonus, ataxia, abdominal cramping, hyperpyrexia, shivering, pupillary dilation, diaphoresis, hypertension, and tachycardia.

this info is from drug interaction website..........just be careful out there, some are fine to use with Phen others are not, not everybody will react badly..but you don't know who you are until it happens....
    Start

10-20-2008 155
    11-17-2008 145
    12-17-2008 139
    01-23-2009 ???

Goal 120

Can put weight on foot 11-27-2008, start rehab to walk. walking half mile a day, after work...while I have only lost 6 pounds I did drop another pant size, inches lost and old jeans fitting means more to me than the acutal number on the scale..it is about being fit,,not fitting into a majic number on the scale.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Phentermine is acting similar to an antidepressant in the way it effects the brain. I am still getting used to the dosage and do experience a bit of excess adrenaline, but I think that will pass once I get used to it.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

again use this website to see if your meds will interact...it could save your life!!!

http://www.**********/drug_interactions.html.....

the word that won't show up rhymes with slug...but starts with a D....anyway you get the point...great site
    please use it and pass this around
    Start

10-20-2008 155
    11-17-2008 145
    12-17-2008 139
    01-23-2009 ???

Goal 120

Photos
    View albums

Smile Lexapro

I take 10mg of Lexapro, also. My endocrinologist said that I could take phen, and he's also the one that prescribed the Lexapro. I wasn't aware of an interaction. I'm going to check that out!!! I take my Lexapro before bed and my phen when I wake up, so they are taken really far apart. I haven't noticed anything different. I haven't had any phen rage though!!!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

For those of you who have taken Phentermine with Wellbutrin what was your dosage?

I am new to this forum. I took Phentermine about 2 years ago and lost about 40 lbs in 5 months. I kept the weight off until my 9 year old son died last January. I became very depressed and gained weight. My psych put me on Wellbutrin SR 150mg twice daily. I have been taking it for a few months now and am finally feeling better and now trying to lose some weight. I went to my weight loss doctor today and he gave me Phentermine 37.5mg one time a day. Did any of you have any adverse reactions to taking these two together? I know eveyone is different and I have read lots of conflicting information about mixing these two. Please let me know what your experience was? My husband is afraid of the mood swings/rage coming back with the phentermine. It seemed to make me very moody in the past. Thanks for your help and good luck to everyone.

Photos
    View albums

I'm on phen and Celexa, which is also a seratonin reuptake inhibitor.

I have seen where they warned against taking them both together. These were both prescribed by my diet dr.

I forgot to ask him about it during my checkup yesterday.

However, what I saw on websites that warned about it was that the problem affected relatively few people who took it, and that the problems manifested themselves pretty quickly and went away after the combined use was discontinued.

I haven't noticed any problems after a month of taking them together, so I'm not particularly worried.

My Weight Chart:

Yes, I could have reset my counter so that it didn't show last years loss and then gain... but I need to remind myself,every day, how easy it is to put it back on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast