1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
6 medium potatoes, cooked in jackets, peeled and cubed
1 cup celery
3 tablespoons green pepper
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
1/4 cup chopped onion
1. In a large bowl, blend mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper to make a salad dressing.
2. Add potatoes, celery, green pepper, pimiento, and onion to the salad dressing.
3. Fold together, then place into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate.
Macaroni and Cheese
2 cups elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups skim milk
8 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (grated)
1. Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain and place into 2-quart casserole dish.
2. Melt margarine and stir in flour and salt to make a roux, stirring constantly for approximately 3 minutes. Gradually pour in milk and stir until mixture is thick.
3. Add grated low-fat cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for top of casserole) and stir until melted.
4. Mix cheese sauce with macaroni. Sprinkle top of casserole with 1/4 cup of grated cheese and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F.
1 large bunch collard greens (64 ounces cut and washed)
2 cups chicken broth (canned or homemade)
2 medium onions, chopped
3 whole garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Wash and cut greens. Mix in large stock pot with chicken broth, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. To allow flavor to blend, prepare dish earlier in the day; the longer it blends, the better it tastes.
2. Cook at medium heat until tender (about 1 hour).
[There's also a recipe for Smoked Turkey Collard Greens...the only diffence is you add 1/4 pound smoked turkey breast and 1 whole jalapeno pepper.]
Sweet Potato Pie
2 large sweet potatoes, in jackets
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
12-ounce can skim evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
1. Place sweet potatoes in a pot and boil until potatoes are soft (approximately 20 minutes).
2. Once potatoes are done, put them aside. When potatoes are warm, peel them and place in a bowl. Add butter and lemon juice and mash together.
3. To mashed potato mixture add eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Blend until creamy.
4. Pour filling into pie shell and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour or until knife comes out clean and pie is lightly brown on top. Cool and serve.
All of these recipes come from the book Slim Down Sister - The African-American Woman's Guide to Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss by Weaver, Gaines and Ebron. The book also contains the nutritional information (calories, fat grams, etc.) for each recipe.