Close
    Photos
    View albums
    I am new to Phen and this forum. I haven't started taking the Phen yet, but will in a few days. My Dr. prescribed it to me really fast and easily. I did'nt ask to be put on it. He told me it would help me get started losing. He also said to go on a Carbohydrate Addicts diet and excercise. I am not sure if i can stick to that sort of diet. I tried the Sugar Busters diet and it made me feel terrible. Please let me know what has worked for you.

Thanks, Angela

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Talking

Hi Angela and welcome to phenland:

Here is what has worked for me:

Breakfast is typically a high fiber cereal and a cup of strawberries (or other seasonal fruit) topped with a couple of tablespoons of non-fat vanilla yogurt. I've never been much of a breakfast eater so I have to force myself to have this.

Lunch is typically a turkey or lean beef sandwich on whole grain bread with a little low fat mayo and piled high with tomatoes, onions, lettuce. Or a salad with lots of veggies, sliced turkey and a hard boiled egg. Use a fat free, low calorie dressing.

For dinner I usually have a lean meat like chicken, lean beef, fish, etc. cooked without any added fats, a side salad and veggies like steamed broccoli, stir-fried zucchini and onions, and brown rice.

Most of your favorite recipes can be revamped to lower the fat and calories. I've never been much of a "sweets" eater but you can, for example, make brownies and use an egg substitute or egg whites only and use applesauce in place of the oil. Try switching from white bread, pasta and white rice to using only whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta and brown rice.

The main thing is to control your portions. You might want to invest in a good "calorie-counter" book or use one of the many websites available that will tell you what a serving size is and how many fat grams, carbs, calories, etc. are in it for the particular food you want to eat. Also, drink lots of water and exercise, exercise, exercise. I have to consume around 1500 calories per day in order to loose weight. If I go any lower I stall out and if I go higher I gain. You will just have to kind of experiment with your calorie intake to find out what is right for your activity level. I try to spend my calories wisely.... like I love Cokes but would rather have those 140 calories putting something solid in my body.

Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps you a little.
    Karen

Photos
    View albums

Karen,

Thank you very much. I am eating brown rice and a low carb high fiber bread, and wheat pastas. It is really hard at dinner for me though. I want to eat what the rest of the family is eating. So I have been doing that and just cutting back. I am not excercising yet but, hope to get a treadmill soon. I don't know how long my Dr. is going to keep me on the Phen. He only gave me 3 weeks with no refills. I hope it works. I have polycystic ovarian disease and have gained weight with it. He says that if I could lose weight it would get better. Thanks again, Angela

Photos
    View albums

Talking

Ang,
    I have been on Atkins for two months now. I get to eat pretty much as much as I want as often as I want. I have lost 36 pounds in the process.
    You have to give up ALL carbs for a couple of weeks, then you can start adding about 5 a
    week 'till you find out what your body can tolorate. This means giving up anything with sugar in it, potatos, rice, anything with flour in it. BUT, you get to eat ALL the meat (I am talking bacon, most sausages,etc.), cheese and all the eggs you want! Two of my favorite snacks are jerky (watch the sugar content though) and corned beef wrapped with horseradish cheese. They have become like candy bars to me.
    I like to drink, so I drink Miller Lite (3 carbs a beer) or I drink vodka (no carbs) with Crystal Light lemonade. On my pool or bowling nights I try to keep my carbs down to allow for BEER.
    I have shrunk my stomach so much that I get full pretty easily. I hope this helps and you should look at the Atkin's sites. This what works for me.
    Timn
    SW 284 08/01/02
    CW 244 10/10/02
    GW 200

Photos
    View albums

Cool

Atkins has worked for me as well. IT is not the diet for everyone but I'm a fan of eating all types of meat and could care less about fruit and sugar!!

I've lost a total of 153 lbs in the last two years, and have a little more to go! Once your used to it, you can adjust your lifestyle to it. I eat WHATEVER I want, but only now and then. All other times I stick to the diet.

You need to evaluate what type of plan you can live with. ivillage dot com, shows you a bunch of diets and what they are all about.
    "If your mind wasn't so narrow, your waist would be"
    -Dr.Atkins

SW 387 CW 230 GW 175 LOW CARB FOR LIFE!!