• 1 Post By Florida Sunshine
  • 1 Post By Florida Sunshine
  • 2 Post By autumn4u68

Thread: Wanted: Menu Planning Buddy!

Silver Phenster icecreamdreams13's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Default Wanted: Menu Planning Buddy!

I struggle with coming up with healthy ideas for the week. I'd like to be able to plan my meals out for the whole week so that I am not tempted any time on the way to work, at work, etc. Problem is making the thought a reality!

Anyone sticking to around 1200-1400 calories a day that struggles with this as well? Maybe we could work together to make a week's worth of menus each week that meets our goals!

If anyone else is already 100% better than I am, and is doing this, please share.

Might be good to include that - I will be cooking for myself only each day, I don't eat any type of fish/seafood/anything from the water. I love 98% of veggies and fruits. I grew up eating cow most of my life (We're farmers and dad is a butcher. Would not eat chicken until I was 16 due to having to help butcher chickens, dad did larger meats primary on his own). I have since incorporated skinless, boneless, chicken breast. I can eat turkey lunch meats, but as far as the ground turkey goes, still too mentally against it to try it. I also will not eat any meat that requires me to take the bones out of it either before or after cooking. I also cannot stand the taste of soy. .. Kind of picky, I guess.

Also, am focusing primarily on calories. I know that I could not go the rest of my life without bread and pasta, so my personal goal is to eat what I can eat for the rest of my life and not just for the next weeks, month, etc. PROPS to those who can do the low carb...way better off than I am!
    Anyways, anyone game?!!
    newyearnewme likes this.

It doesn't matter where you've been, as long as you come back STRONG!

In my mind, the sun shines all the time.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Count me in! I struggle with the same issue. Granted, I'm not much of a cook, but have been scouring the internet for healthy 1200-1500 calories menu plans. Have found a couple great sites. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ helps tracking food you eat and the nutritional properties of it. (calories, fat, sugars, etc.) and then http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ which illustrates the five food groups that are the building blocks for a healthy diet and of course the American Heart Association at http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...ubHomePage.jsp

Photos
    View albums

I am an awful cook in theory!! I don't get many ewww grooossss, what is this...types of comments anymore. Well except from my 8 year old daughter, whom only likes fast foods, it seems!! Point is I just DON'T cook. Which I'm sure my grandma is rolling in her grave seeing me type/say that! She was a Sicilian and I loved to cook with her when I was younger...just never carried it on after her death.

My daily thing is....daytime is fine. I don't have to worry about feeding the children and husband breakfast or lunch. I usually eat an apple or banana or a yogurt for breakfast. Lunch is usually left over dinner from the previous meal that I threw together or from a place we ordered in/went out to. Then rolls around dinner time. If I haven't pre-THUNK this time of evening sometime earlier in the week,I get home from picking kids up from daycare, and then I start going through the cupboards, freezer, fridge...thinking what can I make. It usually ends up something "quick/boring" we always seem to have parts of meals but not the whole thing. Or the case may be if it doesn't JUMP OUT AND BITE ME...there's NOTHING to eat!! I go sit for 30 mins hoping the hubby will concoct something, he usually ends up telling me to order something.

So needless to say...the past couple weeks we have eaten at home about 4 times. And I paid for it...I gained 3 lbs. from not exercising much at all and eating out. UGH!! This week I put that back into perspective and have tried to get back on the wagon.

Moral of the story I'd definately love to hear some ideas...possibly share a couple..but like I said I'm not much of a cooker/baker.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Have a healthy recipe for us! Made this last night.

1 bag - MorningStar Farms Meal Starter Crumbles
    2 cups - Dry Barilla Whole Grain Penne Pasta
    2 jars - Prego Heart Smart Traditional Italian Sauce
    1 cup - Fat Free Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

While the pasta was cooking, I used my NuWave Oven to cook the Crumbles. Put some extra virgin olive oil in the bottom pan, added the frozen crumbles, a little garlic and Italian seasoning. Cooked until crumbles were brown and a bit crispy. Add all other ingredients and cook until bubbles or cheese is melted. YUMMY!

My husband even commented how good this baked ziti was and had no clue he was eating healthy.

Hope you enjoy.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I need ideas! I'm having a really hard time coming up with a balanced meal for one - esp since if I do manage to come up with something, it generally means eating leftovers for days. I'm not a super picky eater, but I am lactose intolerant. I struggle with getting enough fruits and veggies throughout the day. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, (I'm sick to death of bananas!), lunch is usually some deli meat, cheese, and a no-sugar-added fruit cup. Dinner is . . . . well, last night it was a peanut butter and honey sandwich and fresh spinach. Help please!

Live. Laugh. Love.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Visit: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/SuperT...mealplans.aspx
    This is helpful in planning menus. Then, go over to: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups - for lists of what types of food fall under what categories.

I swear by my NuWave Oven for quick and convenient cooking. Many nights, I'll grab a frozen tilapia filet, throw it in the NuWave and in 10-12 minutes I have dinner. While it's cooking, I typically steam myself a vegetable like broccoli or asparagus. Love the Ziploc Steam bags for the microwave. So handy.

Also try to cook up some chicken breasts over the weekend and use in a variety of ways. Diced in a salad. Add some black beans, corn and a light dressing...yum. (Stole that from Chili's) Then perhaps I'll make some chicken Quesadillas using low-fat tortillas, fat free re-fried beans and fat or low-fat cheese and salsa.
    curvygirl63 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I found a recipe on YouTube from someone [Ateeya] that is super easy and only has 5 ingredients. My kids loved it. It was so good, they almost ate them all last night. They suggested that next time I add a little syrup over the sausage to make it more like a "McGriddle".

Breakfast Pie

1 lb. Jimmy Dean Sausage. [Jimmy Dean now has sausage crumbles] (more sausage? Use 2 lbs.)
    4 eggs
    2 C. Milk (I used 2%)
    1 C. Bisquick
    1-2 C Mild Chedder Cheese [Use any cheese you like.]
    1/8 tsp. Salt
    1/8 tsp Pepper

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
    2. Cook the Jimmy Dean sausage until done. [I used Jimmy Deal pre-cooked Crumbles.]
    3. Put the Bisquick in a bowl
    4. In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs, salt and pepper
    5. Add egg mixture to the Bisquick and blend until smooth
    6. Layer your pan or Muffin Tin with the sausage
    7. Add the Cheese
    8. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese
    9. Bake for about 30 min. [If it isn't brown enough, cook for 10-15 min more - but watch it.
    10. Let it cool and enjoy it plain or with a little salsa on the side.

Feel free to add different herbs or a few shakes of Ms. Dash to the egg mixture to give the eggs more flavor.

Last night I used a large muffin tin - sprayed it with Pam and that worked better than using a lasagna pan. You can also use paper muffin cups. I think one batch made about 14 breakfast muffins.

This will surely be a breakfast staple in my house and much cheaper than fast food.
    Last edited by curvygirl63; March 6th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Curvygirls61, what a great recipe! I'm going to substitute egg whites and low fat or fat free cheese. Also, Bisquick has a Heart Healthy version. Can't wait to try this out. Quick, on the go yet healthy. LOVE IT!

Just found this on YouTube. Never thought of using a tortilla to make pizza! This guy has several great videos, both healthy recipes as well as instructional videos. I especially like the one about why eating 6 times a day helps fight fat! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBxY...eature=related

Ingredients...

1 whole wheat tortilla
    3-4 Tbsp of tomato sauce
    1/2 cup of non fat cheese
    Toppings of your choice
    curvygirl63 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Sunshine View Post
    Curvygirls61, what a great recipe! I'm going to substitute egg whites and low fat or fat free cheese. Also, Bisquick has a Heart Healthy version. Can't wait to try this out. Quick, on the go yet healthy. LOVE IT!

Just found this on YouTube. Never thought of using a tortilla to make pizza! This guy has several great videos, both healthy recipes as well as instructional videos. I especially like the one about why eating 6 times a day helps fight fat! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBxY...eature=related

Ingredients...

1 whole wheat tortilla
    3-4 Tbsp of tomato sauce
    1/2 cup of non fat cheese
    Toppings of your choice
    I just look at the vlog and I love the recipe. I'll be looking at more when I get more time.

Let me know how you line the breakfast pie.

Phen Newbie
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

My new love is pasta is "cream" sauce!
    Barilla "Plus" pasta HAS PROTIEN!!Love it!I make the"cream" sauce in the blender.

1 small container cottage cheese
    1 small container greek yogurt
    2 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 bag frozen spinach

I love this with the Penne and it's fun on the bow ties as well! SLAMMING amount of protien!
    curvygirl63 and Alyssa! like this.