Close
    Photos
    View albums

Since I stumbled upon the word "Phentermine" in a diet forum on another site, and realized that folks are using it alone, I've done some research and decided to give it a shot myself. (Ordered via an on-line pharmacy, and yes, I plan to inform my doctor). What I'm curious about, is what the dosage difference is between what doctors were prescribing years ago, with the Phen-Fen combo vs. the current usage of 30 mg. or 37.5 mg. once a day of just Phentermine? 7 years ago, I felt fantastic on the Phen-Fen, lost 35 lbs., felt like I could conquer the world, then I went off of it. I was going through some life-trauma stuff, and turned back to food, and I hope that this time, once I get to my goal, I will have my wits about me and will have learned to use other methods in times of stress (exercise, meditation, counselling, etc.). Of course, I was concerned and saddened to hear of some women getting heart-valve problems as a result of the Phen-Fen, but I wondered if those problems were pre-existing and dormant? I confess to missing the relief those drugs gave me. Anyway, the battle of food-obsession, and being overweight continues. I figure, by the time I'm 90 years old and on my death bed, a wonder weight-loss drug will finally be approved and overweight will be a thing of the past.
    SW: 178 8/02
    CW: 169
    GW: 135.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

From what I have read, the combination of Fen-phen caused heart valve problems in some women. Having said that, I will also say that I had an echocardiogram done a few months ago (unrelated to drugs) and the technician told me that they had seen cases where people just took the phen (Redux) alone and had heart valve problems. Of course, they have no way of knowing whether those conditions existed prior to taking phen or not. Current literature and research shows (as far as I have read) that phentermine alone is not responsible for heart valve problems but when used in combination with other similar drugs, there can be problems. The drug is still approved by the FDA and still being prescribed daily (which of course is not a guarantee of anything). I would really hesitate using it in combination with anything else myself - that goes for just about any drug out there though.
    A child's face can say so much.......especially the mouth part of the face.

Photos
    View albums

Thanks Holly -- I realize that there is a risk with any kind of diet drug -- and it seems that with many brain chemistry drugs (antidepressants, etc.,) the research is still a bit sketchy. Here's hoping that we're safe taking the Phentermine. I also had an echocardiagram recently - prompted by a pharmacist-friend who heard I'd taken Phen-Fen.
    SW: 178 8/02
    CW: 169
    GW: 135.

Photos
    View albums

The only thing I have read that indicates there is an increased risk of heart valve problems is when you use a category of drugs like phentermine WITH an antidepressant -- and there haven't been any studies done nor have their been noted cases - it's just an assumption from whoever was writing the report that I read. I guess what the writer was saying (sorry, can't even remember where I read it now!) is that the two different types of drugs create a push/pull scenario with the same areas/chemicals in the body and brain and that was what they suspected caused the phen/fen problems...but who knows...
    A child's face can say so much.......especially the mouth part of the face.

Photos
    View albums

Question

ThisisIT, how would you compare fen-phen to just taking the Phen? Does it feel the same? Was one better, or are they very similar? I'm curious as to what is missing in the phen compared to the fen-phen. It seems from what I've read that the combo was REALLY effective, where the phen alone is a good tool, but not as successful.

Just curious!

SW 226 (12-27-02)
    CW 189.5 (05-02-03)
    GW 150 ish