Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Question Leg Cramps...Help!!

I'm day 5 of this new adventure and have been up the last two nights with leg cramps. I even had them when I was climbing the ladder to get out of the pool this afternoon. I've been drinking water and took a walk today thinking the exercise might help......It didn't!
    First one that stops this gets a "High Five" from me.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I use to have that problem (not on phen) sometimes its because your body is lacking sodium try to eat something with a lil salt in it my dr use to tell me to do that when i got them after playing basketball hope this will help best of luck!
    Sw:273 3-4-10
    Cw:224 11-26-10
    Gw:160 to start ultimate goal 150

DETERMINATION = SUCCESS =)

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Teddleman View Post
    I'm day 5 of this new adventure and have been up the last two nights with leg cramps. I even had them when I was climbing the ladder to get out of the pool this afternoon. I've been drinking water and took a walk today thinking the exercise might help......It didn't!
    First one that stops this gets a "High Five" from me.
    I suggest going to your doc because your case might not be as simple as others phen can cause side effects that make it unsuitable for some people. If you have cramps see a doc instead of diagnosing it yourself your health is more important than anything.
    ~ Turning FAT into PHAT ~

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Lack of potassium will give you leg cramps...it can be caused by drinking lots of water but eating banana or getting a potassium supplement should help. Also drinking "tonic water" which has quinine in it. If it continues and the pain is in one general area (like behind the knee), get checked out. My brother had aching behind his knee, turned out he had a blood clot but I would be more inclined to guess that you have a low potassium level right now. Anything foods rich in potassium should help alleviate...let us know how you are doing...
    Start Weight: 170 lbs (March 1, 2014)
    Current Weight: 144.0

Start weight - 170
    2/28 - 168 lbs
    3/7 - 164.5
    3/14 - 161.8
    3/21 - 161.1
    3/28 - 158.8
    4/4 - 158.8
    4/11 - 157.4
    4/18 - 157.1
    4/24 - 154.4
    5/2 - 152.6
    5/9 - 149.3
    5/16 - 148.5
    5/23 - 147.8
    5/30 - 146.6
    6/15 - 144.0
    7/7 - 143

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hey kelliee, was the aching your brother had really painful or more of just a weird feeling every now and then?

Nov1 - Bday Challenge

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Smile

I ate 3 banans yesterday(potassium), slept with a bar of soap in the bed by my calfs (?), took a table spoon of mustard (?) and a couple of TUMs(calcium). Found all of those on the internet. Without cramps I was able to sleep for 5 1/2 hours. Up at 5:45 - walked 1/2 mile, got in another 1/2 mile at lunch. After a 1/2 mile my back says to STOP!!! Craving a BIG Salad with chicken so maybe I'll do that for dinner. Got to get the weight off and blood pressure down a little. Needing to feel HEALTHY!!!

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Hi JKgirl -- it was pretty much a constant cramping that was pretty painful..and just got progressively worse. It was not worse with walking but he noticed he still had it at rest. Usually a leg cramp from muscle pull will stop when you rest or put your leg up. His was a constant ache, dull at times, then worse at times.

He is actually just getting out of the hospital today for having had a pulmonary embolus (clot in the lung). Apparently he didn't take his Coumadin (blood thinner) that they gave him when they found the blood clots in his knees. He is doing okay but my goodness...a little compliance please.

Teddleman -- 3 bananas today? Did I read that right? A bit much sugar. You don't have to eat that much but did it help? I see you were not sure about the bar of soap either but that was interesting...I make my husband take a potassium supplement when he diets because he drinks like a fish and cuts out all salt which will do that to you. On some diets, if you cut the salt out they have you replace with a salt substitute like Morton's because you get potassium from that without the water-retention benefits of real salt.

Hope you feel better!
    Last edited by Kelliee; June 14th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Start Weight: 170 lbs (March 1, 2014)
    Current Weight: 144.0

Start weight - 170
    2/28 - 168 lbs
    3/7 - 164.5
    3/14 - 161.8
    3/21 - 161.1
    3/28 - 158.8
    4/4 - 158.8
    4/11 - 157.4
    4/18 - 157.1
    4/24 - 154.4
    5/2 - 152.6
    5/9 - 149.3
    5/16 - 148.5
    5/23 - 147.8
    5/30 - 146.6
    6/15 - 144.0
    7/7 - 143

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Kelliee - Glad you brother is ok! Yeah i just had a very faint dull non painful ache in the back of my leg behind my knee. I'm sure it is nothing and I only notice it sometimes at home when I'm walking around. MY husband says its nothing, but I'm all paranoid its a blood clot from the birth control pills I was on or something. My gut says its prob nothing but you never know! That is why I was asking. I really think it is prob a muscle thing. Thanks!

Teddleman, did you know that banana's actually don't have that much potassium compared to some potassium rich foods? I totally used to think they were the best choice because we always hear that. Here is a list of some that are less sugar but FULL of protein.
    (Banana - 450mg)
    Beets - 655mg
    avacado - 438mg
    spinach - 839mg
    canteloupe - 494mg
    tuna - 484mg
    potato - 1,081
    sweet potato - 694mg
    8oz plain nonfat yogurt - 579mg

There are a TON of other foods and especially veggies that are high in potassium. Sorry I dont mean to sound all know it all like, I just recently learned a lot about potassium and was like oh I should share!! I also personally stay away from potatoes because I am sensitive to starchy foods. If there is a chance..i will gain! lol. :P Just look up potassium rich foods online and you will have tons of choices. I think I am going to do that too so I can actually remember when I go to the grocery store lol.

Okay anyways, I noticed a cramp in the front of my right thigh today. Its weird and annoying. I was like hey didn't I just read about someone else having that problem? I am drinking tons of water and I havent been eating salt or salty foods at all unless they are totally natural. I dunno. Let me know if you start too feel better and I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by Jkgirl; June 14th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Nov1 - Bday Challenge