Close

Thread: Water Pills

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Exclamation Water Pills

Hi all, I was in another thread and this was being discussed, but I didn't want to hijack the thread - so I am starting this one. I've never taken a pill to lose my water weight before. As I have stated before, my doctor prescribed Lasix to me to take every other day. I have not taken it at all because I'm nervous about side effects. I have read that others on this forum are taking something and are happy, just making sure to eat a banana or drink some orange juice.

My question is with Lasix being prescription only, is there something you can buy over the counter that does the same thing, but maybe just not as strong. Or is this a case where prescription is better and safer?
    Cindyu
    7/17/08 - 164
    Goal - 125

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Are you extremely swolen or something?? LASIX is crazy strong!!! I can't imagine a doctor issuing a prescription for that for weight loss. You must have other health issues going on. If not, that is CRAZY! Lasix will definitely take the water off of you, but very very fast. You will get dehydrated in no time if you aren't careful! If you are taking a water pill just for weight loss issues, I would suggest going to WalMart and getting Diurex. It works and it isn't near as strong as Lasix. However, if you have a medical reason for Lasix, definitely take it. My grandmother had congestive heart failure and she had to take Lasix because of all of the fluid on her lungs. It is a really strong drug!
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default No health issues - thank you

Hi Cmarie,

I have NO health issues other than allergies to pollen and junk like that. That is why I was shocked for him to give Lasix to me. I'm not swelling anywhere more than anyone else does. it was even mid-cycle for my TOM, so no extra water weight. I have no heart or lung issues and am only 42.

I am thankful for your reply as I was seriously considering taking it becuase he said to. But it scared me because I've only seen older people (usually in the hosital for congestive heart failure) take it and then there have always been side effects with them. I'm not in the medical field, this was friends and family over the years.

I will go to Walmart and try what you suggested once or twice a week. Especially since I am coming up to my TOM. Although I have heard that these meds can make your cycle change too.

Thanks again for your help!
    Cindyu
    7/17/08 - 164
    Goal - 125

Photos
    View albums

I am not a doctor, so don't avoid the Lasix just on my advice. However, I was just shocked that anyone would prescribe that for weight loss. WOW! The Diurex will work. I have used it in the past and it will help to get rid of some excess fluid.
    3/10/08 - 12/01/08 (-55 lbs)
    1/05/09 169

4th and FINAL GOAL (160 by 3/2/09)

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My doctor prescribed a water pill to assist me with my weight loss. BIG MISTAKE. I was in the emergency room, I was dehydrated, I didnt drink enough water while taking it. The ER Doc told me, I shouldnt have been given a water pill to lose weight.
    TRYING TO DO BIG THANGS NOW!

Photos
    View albums

I take lasix and Phen. Phen for weightloss and lasix for fluid retention in my legs and feet. I do not have any problems with it as long as I drink plenty of fluids, do not spend lots of time in the sun, and I make sure I get plenty of Potassium so I dont get leg cramps. I dont recommend it for a weighloss solution but it does help to rid your body of retained fluid. The number one thing to remember DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!

Dec2004 280lbs
    Dec2007 205lbs (NoPhen)
    Apr 2008 240lbs (StartedPhen)
    Sept 4th 210 YAY
    Sept 17 208
    Oct 1 205
    Oct 12 202

http://www.myspace.com/wickedwillowoftheeast