Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Question

Before the search option stopped working here yesterday, I was reading up on those taking Prozac with Phen and those taking L-tyrosine with Phen. But what about Prozac and L-tyrosine together? The warning label on L-tyrosine reads, "Do not take in conjunction with MAOI drugs," but was under the impression that Prozac didn't fall under that category. I've been Google-ing most of the morning and can't find an answer. Does anyone here know? Thanks!
    Height: 5'4"
    HW: 218.0 - 01/01/03
    SW: 190.5 - 04/25/04
    CW: 174.0 - 07/21/04
    GW: 155.0
    --------------------
    Romans 1:18-32 (NIV)

2. Advertising
    advertising

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I found this info on the fatnews DOT com website. The article is called "Lose weight with phentermine, Celexa and 5-HTP: An interview with Marty Hinz, M.D." Here is an excerpt:

Hobbs:**How did you come to use this combination?

Hinz:**We were looking for a Fen-Phen replacement after fenfluramine was pulled from the market. Michael Anchors, M.D., Ph.D., had written the book Safer Than Phen-Fen about combining phentermine with Prozac, Zoloft and Luvox. So my partner and I started using these combinations. He started using Phen-Prozac and I started using Phen-Zoloft. We noticed a couple of things.

Hobbs:**What was that?

Hinz:**First we noticed that a lot of patients who had formerly taken Fen-Phen did not respond that well to Phen-Prozac or Phen-Zoloft. A lot of patients still seemed to be missing something. After doing some research and listening to patient’s other symptoms--things such as chronic insomnia--we decided that patients appeared to be depleted of serotonin. One reason is that fenfluramine depletes serotonin.

Hobbs:**So what did you do?

Hinz:**We added serotonin and norepinephrine precursor supplements--5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and L-tyrosine.

Hobbs:**Did it help?

Hinz:**Yes, it had a profound effect. Patients started losing more weight and other symptoms of serotonin deficiency--such as sleep problems--disappeared.

Hobbs:**How quickly did patients notice an effect?

Hinz:**Within a week or two. There seems to be a threshold effect with serotonin causing appetite suppression.

Hobbs:**What do you mean?

Hinz:**Patients would describe the exact day that the supplements kicked in and their appetite was suppressed. It was like a light switch turning on… or in this case turning off.

Hobbs:**How much 5-HTP and L-tyrosine do you use?

Hinz:**100 mg of 5-HTP, 1000 mg of L-tyrosine, 1000 mg of vitamin C, 75 mg of vitamin B-6, 500 mg of L-Lysine and 1000 mg of calcium. We used to have patients buy them separately at the health food store but we have formulated a product called 1A that is cheaper for the patients and contains fewer pills than buying each item separately.

Hobbs:**Do you ever vary the dose?

Hinz:**Yes, sometimes. We give extra 5-HTP for one to three weeks in patients who don’t seem to respond. We also give extra 5-HTP to patients who show an increase in appetite after several months.

Hobbs:**How much extra?

Hinz:**An extra 200 mg per day. In a few patients we have given as much as an extra 500 mg per day.

Hobbs:**Do you only use synthesized 5-HTP based on what one of your colleagues told me?

Hinz:**No, not any more. Before we came up with the 1A product we found that only one brand of 5-HTP seemed to work. We thought that this was because it was a synthesized pharmaceutical grade rather than the Griffonia plant extract, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. Our manufacturer has switched to a highly-purified natural Griffonia-derived 5-HTP which seems to work just as well.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Here is another site that talks about doseage http://www.weightprogram.com/adjustin.htm

That is www DOT weightprogram DOT com BACKSLASH adjustin DOT htm

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks, Specialtlady. I appreciate the info!
    --------------------

Photos
    View albums

Lightbulb

Hi Specialtlady!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! The information was EXACTLY what I was searching for!!! I was able to get on the Fatnew.com website and read Dr. Anchors articles about Phen-Pro and there is also a website about Phen-Pro (appropiately called ************). I sent Dr. Anchors an e-mail; I would really prefer to take this combination, but cannot find a MD that prescribes it. On the Phen-Pro Website, it list MD's that prescribe it in certain states. Of course the physician where I live had 3 disconnected phone numbers (now, that made me kind of suspicous).

I have been on Phentermine for 6 months, on-and-off, due to the loss of effectiveness of the drug after 6 weeks. I even take it every other day, so as to hopefully make it more effective. I think Phen-Pro will help me. Also, Dr. Anchors mentionned that most overweight people have some form of underlying depression, which he aint neven lied about that! :blabla:

Hopefully, I will hear from Dr. Anchors soon. If you like, I can tell you what he says. Are you taking the Phen-Pro? :thinking:

Thanks for the information! I too am a graduate student; my goal is to be at my goal weight by the time I graduate - or even by Christmas would be nice...

I look forward to hearing from you!
    FiveTwoQT

Photos
    View albums

Lightbulb

[ June 08, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: fivetwoqt ]

Photos
    View albums
    I am currently taking Phentermine and the 1A formula and I can definately feel the effects. I used to get headaches on the phen alone, and feel jittery. The 1A in combination with the Phen (37.5 mg) works. My mood is better too. I used to take 5-htp before the phen, so I still advocate for its use. :spider_red:

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

LibraLady: Where do you get the 1A formula? You can send me a private message if you prefer not to answer here. I'm at "buttahflyy at msn dot com." Thanks!
    --------------------

Photos
    View albums

LibraLady:

I would like to know also....

THANKS!!