Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default Another new year newbie with a long road to go

Hello, I'm Rustybeth (it's a nickname my husband gave me). I've been through a bad few years and I've piled on even more weight than I can comprehend. I'm right below 380. I've got a great physician and she's letting me try Phentermine to see how I do. I really have bad appetite issues. I'm currently unemployed, so I've got depression and lots of idle time working against me.

I am married and have two lovely daughters (5 and 7). My husband has never been critical of my weight and is very supportive of anything I do. Really, he's a blessing.

We were happily living in Australia until 2014. I was over weight (around 280), but stable, happy, and energetic. Then I lost my job and depression set in. Eventually, we had to make the decision to move back to my home state of Texas due to the poor economy in my industry in Australia (energy). I moved back and spent a year working to get us a foothold here, and then hubby and the girls came over.

I've not found my feet, so to speak, in the house we bought. I'm a great cook and organizer, and always have been, but I've just failed since we got here. I had a bad accident in 2015 (a fall) and spent four months in recovery from a concussion and broken wrist and separated shoulder. Lots of surgery and pain medicine, little movement due to isolation of my arm, and the weight started creeping up. I had lots of rehab, but I didn't seem to get my old attitude or abilities back. Then I was laid off about a year later, and that just hammered me. Our family situation was tenuous, as my husband was an immigrant trying to get permanent residence, and couldn't even work--so we had been living off my income, and now we were trying to survive on unemployment. Well, I'll cut it short: I was more depressed and struggling and the weight got worse. I had another fall (no concussion this time). My hubby did get a job and things have slowly started looking up. We're still struggling financially, to recover from my first accident an my long term unemployment, but we have insurance through hubby's employer and I got to go back to my regular GP, Dr. Dorothy Lamping in northwest Houston, and she is a gem.

I'm so large that exercise is very difficult--mainly due to the mechanics of my body. I'm so fat that walking is difficult. I find myself worn out from a hard day of housework or going shopping. And worse, my feet hurt pretty much all the time. So, she's not expecting exercise until I get a few pounds off. I've always been successful and healthy when I eat a low carbohydrate diet, so I'm going to try to do that on a OMAD kind of plan (one meal a day). I'm hoping the phentermine helps me with the appetite issues and energy levels during the day, and then we can have healthy family meal in the evening. I really like the idea of OMAD, to help my insulin levels. I've never been diagnosed as pre-diabetic or worse, and I don't want to. I see her again in six weeks, and I'll do a fasting blood panel then. I hope my A1C is good, so she'll be happy.

I'm pouring my heart out here because I need to journal this somehow and sitting down to write (my broken wrist is my dominant hand) is still painful. I don't expect anyone to reply, as I know there are lots of new people started. I just hope that I can learn some things here and find a way to get myself going in the right direction. I need to be here and healthy for my family, so I am determined to find a way to make that happen.

My dr prescribed phentermine 37.5, once a day in the morning. She also gave me a trial of Qsymia, the free two week supply. I'm going to start with that and then swap over to the phentermine solo until I see her again. Honestly the Qsymia is too expensive, but she said we could combine the phentermine with topiramate as a separate prescription if I find the Qsymia works well. I will search the forums for that, as I am interested to see if anyone else has tried that.

I hope we all can find some success somehow with our journey towards health.

Cheers
    Rb
    Married, mom of 2, obese for thirty years. Starting at 380.

C
    urrent: 363.8

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Welcome and congrats on beginning your weight loss journey. No judgement here, we've all had our ups and downs. Phen has really made a difference in my not only my weight, but the way I look at food. My junk food cravings have disappeared and I'm more focused on eating better foods.

It sounds weird, but when on Phen be sure you're eating enough. If I haven't eaten breakfast by 10am I start to feel a bit off/kind of sick. But as soon as I eat (one piece of wheat toast or a large orange or a Greek yogurt) I'm back to normal. And don't forget to drink your water- it makes a huge difference

Good luck!

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the greeting. I finished my first day without any special eating plan. I wanted to try it while my husband was home, in case it made me feel ill and I needed help with the kids. I didn't try to plan, I just wanted to see what happened. Well, it cut down on my incidental snacking by 100%! I had no desire for food. I did have a few bites at the normal "meal times", because I didn't want to get light headed, but all was well. I think it's doing great so far. This morning, all I've had is coffee. I'm going to try for the one meal a day approach, because it's easier. But if I do get peckish, I'll have something during the day. I know this drug is not a cure for my issues, but just a tool to help me figure things out. I hope it keeps working like it is so far.

C

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I know what you mean about feeling a bit lightheaded when you don't eat. Even though I don't feel hungry, I have to eat breakfast- which is strange because I was never a morning eater before Phen. I know I mentioned it before, but don't forget to drink your water. You might be up every 30 mins using the restroom but it helps your body process Phen better and it truly helps with those occasional snacks. I do notice if I haven't drank enough water I might feel a bit "snacky" but I drink a glass of water and it instantly disappears.

So how did yesterday go for you?

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I don't get on board every day, but I've had a good past week. I had a rough start due to stress and getting used to the meds, but I'm really seeing a drop off in my general appetite now. My worst weakness is sweets, and I've been able to stay away from them completely. I'm very happy so far. I need to add a ticker so I can update my loss, hopefully weekly. I know if I weigh more often I get discouraged, even though I know it's a general downwards trend.

Cheers.

C

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Sweets are my weakness too! When I have a random craving I reach for the fruit now. I'm also trying out new recipes for healthier snack options, tomorrow I'm trying homemade fruit snacks...we'll see how that goes.

Keep me updated

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Back a week later, and still losing. I finished up the Qsymia on Tuesday and I swapped over to a twice a day dose of topiramate and morning dose of phentermine to mimic the Qsymia dosing. Man, I'd like to use the name brand, but even my obesity cannot afford that price. So we'll do the best we can. I'm down more still, so I'm happy. I'm having some of the respiratory side effects stemming from the topiramate, but I'm going to stick it out and see if they diminish. I'm on a total of 50mg/day, and I've got a phlegmy tightness that seems to be manageable with an expectorant and drinking lots of fluids. Although, I've got asthma, so if it gets worse, I will have to stop the topiramate.

Otherwise, I'm happy that my appetite is so well suppressed. My mental eating is still there, but I'm able to quiet it down very easily, so I'm not struggling with snacking and night time eating. I'm working towards a OMAD plan, still struggling to get there most days. But I've made progress with weight loss, with behavior, and also with sleeping. The topiramate has helped me sleep better. I've got chronic pain issues and it's helped with those too. So I'm happy so far!

C

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I'm taking generic Phen- manufactured by KVK- and so far I'm happy with it. I take Phen about an hour after I wake up, followed by a big glass of water.

Was the OMAD plan your idea or your doctors? I can't do OMAD, I start to feel sick if I don't eat smaller amounts here and there. I've been doing 1 slice of toast for breakfast w/butter (95 calories), a low-fat greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of sliced pineapple (150 calories), and will eat up to 2 cups of sliced pineapple (280 calories). I switch the fruit out, but if it's prepacked I get it in 100% juice. For dinner I will eat no more than 500 calories, but like to be around the 350 range.

Hopefully your chest tightness clears up soon. There's nothing fun about not being able to breathe

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default How are the side effects.

How are the side effects for you. Today was my first day and so far so good?

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

The chest tightness comes and goes. I've been taking Mucinex 12 hour around the clock and that seems to help. The bad news is that I've been hit with this massive wall of depression, just horrible blackness, crying, terror, worthlessness. It's horrible and terrifying. If I were alone, I'd just go to bed. As it is, my kids are off school today so I've done the best I can to get by. Everything my seven year old has done has made me cry. Everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong and I now feel physically ill (intestinal nausea--too low to even throw up). I feel like I'm being punished for something, but I don't know what.

I've moved my doctor's follow-up from the 28th to the 24th. And found out that insurance didn't pay for the last visit because she billed the entire visit to my weight questions and not to anything else. I hope I've lost enough by then (it will have been 3 weeks) to make her happy.

C

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Your feelings are completely normal. Some days I'm doing great and others I'm really down, I talked to my doctor about it and she said it can be a side effect but also losing weight is part mental. When I feel bad I do admit I reach for the snacks, some times I'm better at staying away than others.

Can you ask your doctor to rebill it? My doctors office messes up on billing all the time or will recode/rebill stuff so my insurance takes it. Whatever my doctors office codes my visits as is covered by my insurance yet "weight loss visits" aren't covered. And however my Phen is coded at the pharmacy my insurance accepts that, so I can't complain too much.

Try to stay positive, I know it's hard. I do find being on this board helps me when I'm feeling down and want to emotional eat.

I hope today is going better for you.