Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default Having outpatient surgery...should i stop taking?

Hello all,

I'm having outpatient surgery (laparoscopic) in 3 weeks and am wondering if I should stop taking my Phen in preparation for the surgery I have a call in to my Dr but thought I would ask for opinions/past experiences on this subject.

Help please
    Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

2. Advertising
    advertising

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

If you are being put under general anesthesia you need to cease taking it 14 days prior to surgery, it can mess with the anesthetic and you most certainly do not want that....!!!!
    ~CR

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thank you! I just spoke to my doc and he said to discontinue use 3 days prior, but I think I'm going to give it at least a week.

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

This is taken from two different sites I have gathered from my research into this drug over a long period of time....do what you want...I take zero risks with my life and with the advise I give others when I give it....I promise you I would not give you advise if I did not have information to back it up. An extra week of weight loss of what 2 pounds is certainly not worth risking my life over and I would never risk another's over it. I'd be happy to supply you with the sites I got the information on....of course I do not know how long you have been on phentermine so the information may not pertain to you.

If a patient has been taking phentermine for two consecutive months or longer, and is planning to have surgery under general anesthesia, they must be sure to make their surgeon aware of their use of the drug. There have been reports of hypotension (low blood pressure) in such patients when they are placed under anesthesia. The most significant consequence of this occurrence is that it can lead to brain damage. These patients should stop taking their phentermine for at least two weeks prior to their surgery.
    Media Statement of the American Society of Anesthesiologists
    Regarding Phentermine (Phen)

The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is aware of and concerned about reports that some patients taking the diet drug nicknamed "Phen" and not disclosing this to their anesthesiologists prior to surgery, are experiencing adverse and potentially deadly reactions while under general anesthesia.
    Phen is actually a potent drugs, phenterimine, that can alter the chemical balance in the brain's two neurotransmitters, serotonin and dopamine. The proper balance of these two chemicals in the brain is critical.
    Monitoring the patient's vita' signs is one of the important functions that anesthesiologists do during surgery, and several ASA members recoil that some patients who were taking phentermine have become hypotensive (with abnormally low blood pressure) while under general anesthesia. Left unattended, this hypotension may become dangerous and life threatening.
    The "Basic Standards for Preanesthesia Cart" approved by the ASA House of Delegates in 1987 states that an anesthesiologist must develop an appropriate plan of anesthesia care that is based in part on a patient's medical history and drug therapy, including medications. For this reason, it is imperative that patients be forthcoming when they talk to their anesthesiologist about any drugs they have taken prior to surgery. This includes all prescription and over-the-counter medications such as diet pins, vitamins, and herbal preparations.
    ~CR

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Wow! Thank you so much for the info! I agree, I don't take any risks with my life either, especially being a mom and wife.

I'ts a little concerning to me now that my Dr told me just 3 days! Looks like I might need a new Dr!!! I really appreciate your feedback on this, it means so much that you have taken the time to research it for me

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Not a problem....thing with doctors that will just prescribe away and doctors who research how medications affect us is the difference between a doctor and A GOOD DOCTOR.....I go to good doctors....I have been to really bad doctors who think that med school was the end of their training....thing is medicine like everything else evolves and if a doctor is unwilling to keep themselves abreast of ever changing issues affecting both their patients and their practices then I certainly don't want that doctor ever treating me or my family....most weight loss clinics are revolving doors of money to most practices....a good practice cares about it's patients, it may treat hundreds or thousands a month....but it gives the full picture of what to expect.....and if it doesn't and you are still treated by them, then you have to be your own advocate because no one is going to fight better for your health then you are...because one mistake and you are not going to be here to defend yourself.....and your family could be left in the wake of it all without you....its just not an option I ever consider in life....its too precious to ever risk just one.... ")
    ~CR

Bronze Phenster cinnamonstickdream's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I asked my PCP about this since I had a lump in my breast that may have needed to be taking out (primary Care doc- not clinic). She said the meds are out of your system quickly. So just stop a day or two in advance. I am paranoid so would stop 4 days early and be sure to tell the surgen. Didnt need the lump removed (yet) so I didnt need to stop.
    I read the previous posts...glad I dont need my lump out at this time. I am only sharing my doc also said just a day or so before surgery (I am on 15mg 1x a day). I think Phen is a lot like speed and the half life if FAST- out of your system fast. Best to try to call the surgen or talk to someone who can give you a second opinion. I did specifically ask the PCP about this since was starting and my mamo was set for two days later (then possible surgery in a few weeks).

Interesting. Best to always disclose all medications and or get a second opinion about the meds if you are worried.....

GL dear!