Close
    Photos
    View albums

Question How to boost your metabolism

I am looking for the answer to this, I have learned that one of my main problems is that I have a slow metabolism. I feel slugish, lazy, tired and it is hard for me to "want" to get up and work out even though I say it daily that I want to.

I want to learn how to boost/raise my metabolism and what foods are helpful and harmful.

I know I am not the only one that needs this information, this is a problem for so many of us. I want to learn to eat right for my healt but also for my body to want to move more.

I did google of course, there are so many answers in there, green tea, jalapenos, oatmeal and so on. I also want to learn what food to avoid that are going to make me tired.

Doesn't Jillian have a book too or a cook book?

What do you do or not do to help your metabolism, what really works for you? I know some people, a lot of people just have a natural high metabolism, come home from a hard day at work, take the kids to soccer, come home and cook dinner while throwing in a load a laundry, wash dishes and scrub the bathroom floor, NOT ME!! I want so much to be like that!!
    Teresa

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Hi Mrsace13 I am one of those people who get home and cook dinner and start a load of laundry, infact i did it yesturday right after I came home. I said I wanted to be able to have dinner cooking while i did my FIRST 30 minuets of excersise. Im not telling you this to rub anything in though it sounds like it. Im saying this because I feelt the way you do , but I do not have kids.

I get a b-12 shot when i visit my PCP it is 20 dollars a shot in his office. It is wounderful and has lead me to take other vitamins that boost my energy. YOu can also get this from eating Collard greens, broccoli, cabbage and beans. These to me are super foods loaded with vtamins and fiber. My mother is 63 and she has even gone to the doctor and gotten the B-12 shot and there is a world of improvement in her energy level and muscle fatigue problem.

In fact I have not been to the doctor this month yet and hadnt gotten the shot. So what I did just this morning( because I was feeling really sluggish ) was buy a B-12 vtamin 2000mcg. I perked up about 40 minuets. Give that a shot and see how you feel. Also try cooking the dark green leafy vegatables and have some legumes and see how you feel.]

Good luck
    be in it to win it, stay happy and healthy

Photos
    View albums

As I am googling this is all information that I should know!!! I feel like "duh!!" as I read things!!
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by koorbwest View Post
    Hi Mrsace13 I am one of those people who get home and cook dinner and start a load of laundry, infact i did it yesturday right after I came home. I said I wanted to be able to have dinner cooking while i did my FIRST 30 minuets of excersise. Im not telling you this to rub anything in though it sounds like it. Im saying this because I feelt the way you do , but I do not have kids.

I get a b-12 shot when i visit my PCP it is 20 dollars a shot in his office. It is wounderful and has lead me to take other vitamins that boost my energy. YOu can also get this from eating Collard greens, broccoli, cabbage and beans. These to me are super foods loaded with vtamins and fiber. My mother is 63 and she has even gone to the doctor and gotten the B-12 shot and there is a world of improvement in her energy level and muscle fatigue problem.

In fact I have not been to the doctor this month yet and hadnt gotten the shot. So what I did just this morning( because I was feeling really sluggish ) was buy a B-12 vtamin 2000mcg. I perked up about 40 minuets. Give that a shot and see how you feel. Also try cooking the dark green leafy vegatables and have some legumes and see how you feel.]

Good luck
    Thank you and NO I don't think you were trying to rub it in, I want to feel that energy too!! Where you like that before the B12 shots? I know there are many people that have a spotless home and dinner on the table, that is not me and I want to be that person, for my daughter/husband and myself!! My recliner has my a** marks in it!!

I'm not sure in my PCP gives B12, they have never offered it but I will ask on my next visit. I see a lot of people go once a week though and I don't know if I can do $20 a week but I guess if it helps I will fit it in my schedule and budget.

How were you before the B12? I have taken them by pill and the one you put under your tounge but it doesn't seem to help much so maybe I don't have a good brand.
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

Before the B-12 shots I would give out faster and could not go as long as far as working out was comcerned. Before I would still clean and all of that but not work out as long or as often as I should because i felt sluggish. After the B-12 shots and pills , I find myself able to move and go longer. I only get the shot once a month and that does me fine. Once you loose the weight your energy level picks up, but you first have to want to I know. Also my TOM is coming so thats why I needed the extra boost this week. Try the foods and the shot and see how you feel

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsace13 View Post
    I am looking for the answer to this, I have learned that one of my main problems is that I have a slow metabolism. I feel slugish, lazy, tired and it is hard for me to "want" to get up and work out even though I say it daily that I want to.

I want to learn how to boost/raise my metabolism and what foods are helpful and harmful.

I know I am not the only one that needs this information, this is a problem for so many of us. I want to learn to eat right for my healt but also for my body to want to move more.

I did google of course, there are so many answers in there, green tea, jalapenos, oatmeal and so on. I also want to learn what food to avoid that are going to make me tired.

Doesn't Jillian have a book too or a cook book?

What do you do or not do to help your metabolism, what really works for you? I know some people, a lot of people just have a natural high metabolism, come home from a hard day at work, take the kids to soccer, come home and cook dinner while throwing in a load a laundry, wash dishes and scrub the bathroom floor, NOT ME!! I want so much to be like that!!

Ok, it's not a food and it's not a quick fix, but I've learned both from experience and research, that THE best way to change your metabolism is MUSCLE!! Muscle burns calories. Fat doesn't. Replace fat with muscle, and you turn your body into a calorie burning machine! Since I have been watching my body fat% go down and watched muscle grow, I also notice my daily calorie burn on my GoWear Band increasing, especially during the resting reads. So I think my biggest reccomendation would be to possibly increase your weight training a little bit.
    I have rid myself of 80lbs as of August 2010. Some with Phen, some without.
    1st time on Phen: SW230 EW 200
    2nd time on Phen: SW202 Current weight:161

My Wedding, Sept 4th, 2010 160 Pounds!

The old me....and the new me!!

Highest weight:250 Current weight:166

Photos
    View albums

I wish I could get a bodybugg or GoWear band, I am just not able to with my work uniform. I wish it could be worn on my ankle or something.

My first issue is finding the motivation and energy to work out or do weights. I am the QUEEN of excuses, I could be doing now instead of sitting here on my computer googling. I have all the tools and DVD's in my home and I still google more things I could buy like that will help. I know I just need to get up and do it and soon it will be natural and I will want to. I used to hate water but the more I drank the more I wanted it, I never thought that would happen.
    Teresa

Platinum Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Mrsace13: I understand exactly how you feel. I found and sometimes still find myself in a slump. There have been and still is a lot of issues I deal with. However, over coming procrastination is something I am working on. I am also trying to overcome that feeling of I just don't feel like it. Those two things have lit more fires under me than I can possibly list here. I am now asking God to help me in these areas and do things inspite of. Besides, I got tired of putting out fires!!lol. Start small, even if it's ten minutes, or drinking 64 ounces of water. Do just one thing to help reach your goal. And remember Rome wasn't built in a day. It is never all or nothing, but a progression of smaller things that lead to something bigger. We can do this, one step at a time. I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching, it's just that I have been down this road so many times. I hope this helps.

Photos
    View albums

I wish I could get a bodybugg or GoWear band, I am just not able to with my work uniform. I wish it could be worn on my ankle or something.

My first issue is finding the motivation and energy to work out or do weights. I am the QUEEN of excuses, I could be doing now instead of sitting here on my computer googling. I have all the tools and DVD's in my home and I still google more things I could buy like that will help. I know I just need to get up and do it and soon it will be natural and I will want to. I used to hate water but the more I drank the more I wanted it, I never thought that would happen.
    I know exactly how you feel, that is what kept me from losing for good for all these years. I could drop the same 20 pounds over and over, but I never made the changes I needed in order to make real life changes. I think you have to dig deep and figure out how much you want it. I like blunt, in your face answers, but some people can't handle them, or find them offensive...but they work for me! I finally told myself that if I don't move my rear and DO this, all I was doing on my feeble attempts was wasting time. I did force myself, for a while, to do the work, and now I LOVE doing the work! I look forward to my time at the gym every day, because I can see the results of long term work. You'll find your groove, especially now that you weigh less. It will get easier and easier to move...but the thing you have to remember is that no one has lost a huge amount of weight and kept it off by sitting around. It just doesn't work that way.

Anyways, off my pedestal, I promise! What kind of uniform do you wear? I sometimes wear the band way high up on my arm, so you can't even see it if I wear a really short sleeve shirt. But I agree, I would love it if I could wear it on my leg or something!

Photos
    View albums

Was Rome built in 15 years??? LOL

My baby steps include 2 step forward and 3 steps back.

I don't want to sound like a complainer, excuse maker or depressed even though I am and I hate feeling and being negitive when I know this can be done. I have seen so many others on here do it and I love coming here for the motivation.

What is crazy is I know what to do and what works, I could do a class on it, I just don't know the answer of how to make myself just do it!! I know what will make me into the person I want to be and need to be for myself and family, I just sit on my computer and read about it, study about it, make graphs, list and plans about it, I even watch every show about it, I just don't get up and do it!! I think about my weight day and night, it is a big part of my life watching everything on it, I am sure my 9 year old daughter thinks I am crazy and I don't want to teach her to do what I do. The saying don't tell me, show me is what I need to learn.

I didn't mean to turn this into a downer thread and poor me, I wish I had a partner here to do it with me, I just wanted to learn better options here.

Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by Mrsace13; July 20th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

I think the biggest thing here is to commit to the exercise. The biggest reason my diets have failed in the past is that they always "start tomorrow".

I'll eat what I want today and start my diet tomorrow.

I'll take it easy today and get back on track tomorrow.

I don't know how many times i have done that to myself. Of course the problem is that tomorrow it is only that much easier to repeat the whole process.

The only solution i have found is to make the exercise non-negotiable. If that means I end up at bthe gym at 11:30 pm... so be it.

It is very hard at the beginning. But it is just like the "tomorrow" cycle. the more you force yourself to get the workout done, the more enjoyable it is to continue.

Photos
    View albums

ok maybe some tough love. How about your 9 year old comes home and finds mommy on the floor because she couldnt get up and exercise that heart muscle, or devolpes diabetes? Will you get up then or will it be to late? GET UP RIGHT NOW. i dont want to hear it anymore, cook those veggies and do your work out tapes. THIS IS TOUGH LOVE. Let me tell you something true. My sister in law is the picture of fat and unhealthyness. She wont get up to save her own life. One night she couldnt get up and my 11 year old nephew had to call 911. It took two EMS workers to carry her fat butt down the stairs. My brother works at night and we live an hour away from them, The 7 year old was crying the 11 year old was trying to keep him calm, the baby was asleep and I was driving 100 miles an hour trying to reach my nephews so my brother could go staight to the hospital. She had heart distress not quit a heart attack but her fat Diabetic butt just added heart troubles to the list and she can leave little ones behind if she doesnt wake up. Wake up, Get up and Work out PLEASE its not just you that you are working out for. Again its just tough love and I want everyone to succeed

Photos
    View albums

You just have to do it. You need the right mentality, don't say you can't. when you can. Try an exercise DVD if you aren't able to keep up, no problem, go at your own pace. Do you want to spend another month or year looking back and thinking if only I had? What inspires you to loose weight, why do you want to loose weight? What do you need to do to get there? The best thing to do is to rid your house of junk food. If your family doesn't like it, oh well, they don't need to eat it either, regardless of their size. If your thin and eat nothing but junk food, it doesn't mean you're healthy.

Rather than looking around for complicated recipe's and a diet plan. Go back to a more natural way of eating. Grocery stores have the most natural products around the outside of the store, the stuff down the middle isles are processed. Stick to fruits, veggies, lean meats, low fat cheeses, yogurt, etc. Try to stick to the outer isles of the grocery store for yourself.

The biggest thing is to eat small snacks and lots of water. Both keep you full. The snacks keep you somewhat full until the next healthy meal.

Good Luck!!!
    10/19/11 SW: 282.8
    10/26: 277.8 - 1st day
    1st goal: 250 2nd goal: 220 3rd goal: 199 - never remember being in the 1's.
    GW: 180 Overweight since 6th grade, first time I remember weighing myself (255), I was a junior in high school.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thank you and NO I don't think you were trying to rub it in, I want to feel that energy too!! Where you like that before the B12 shots? I know there are many people that have a spotless home and dinner on the table, that is not me and I want to be that person, for my daughter/husband and myself!! My recliner has my a** marks in it!!
    Have you ever had a sleep study done? My energy level was 0 before I got diagnosed with sleep apena.

Photos
    View albums

TashieBraun thast a good point my brother was the same way. Great advice

Photos
    View albums

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

I recommend reading this article. I found it very informative.
    SW/HW: 215 (Aug 2007)
    Then lost 40 lbs on my own: 175 (April 2008)
    SW2: 184.4 (May 26, 2010) Started Phen
    GW: 145 (size 8) NOW size 10 or 30/31 jeans, 8 dresses, S/M tops

Mini Goals:
    170 by Fourth of July (met July 7th)
    160 by my bday 8/24 (MET August 12th)
    145 by September 30th (I hope)

8/4/10: 164.4
    8/11/10: 161.2
    8/18/10: 160.6
    8/25/10: 159.8
    9/1/10: 158.2
    9/8/10: 156.4
    9/23/10: 153.2
    10/8/10: 150.0

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I used to feel that way. One thing was my iron was low. Which may or may not be for you? I take something from Flora http://www.vitacost.com/Flora-Florad...erb-Yeast-Free and it made a big difference for me.

Ok, yup I just know exactly what you're saying. I had "the plan" I read everything, perfected it, etc. Get up in the a.m. planning to start, then this then that and then I had to go here and it just never happened. Go online read more, make a "better" plan, see what others do....BUT THEN I started SMALL It didn't have to be the perfect plan it just had to be a good place for me to start and simple enough I wouldn't talk myself out of it.

I simply walked 2 miles a day. I found a time that worked. For me I made supper and left. It felt so good to know while my family was filling up (I'm the only over weight one) I was walking it off. My hubby was great with that, just happy to see me get going on something in the right direction. I'd come back and everybody would be full and tired and I felt great (the first time was a rough start and I didn't have a good attitude but after that)! Had enough energy do a few things before bed time.

In 1 month I plan to get back into weight lifting. But at a certain weight the energy wasn't there to really do it.

Do you think you can start small and just accept that it adds up to a lot over time? No need to perfect it or hit every muscle group at first...just move.

It seems better to do something you won't hate and you won't feel like it consumes your day to get it done...because if you dread it or it consumes you you're not likely to do it consistantly or for the rest of your life. Walking a half n hour is a good place to start. 6 days a week that adds up to a lot of moving over the months...and when the energy comes back you can always step it up if it's realistic and it won't push you to quit or feel overwhelmed?

I ask myself what can I realisticly do every day for the rest of my life?

Just some thoughts

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

When was the last time you had a full physical? I went and had one a few months ago and I found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency. Never even heard of that before. I now take 50,000 mg of Vitamin D once a week until my levels are normal again. I feel so much better now.
    Last edited by Dawn675; July 21st, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

10/01/2009 217
    11/30/2009 211
    Started Phen 7/14/2010 191
    07/28/2010 185
    8/4/2010 181
    09/01/2010 179
    10/02/2010 177

Momma and her Girls!! Myrtle Beach, SC June 2010

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hi Teresa, I know how you feel. I seem to struggle every couple weeks with the same few pounds. I sometimes think I sabotage myself. When I am working out I get in a good pace but then slow down. I can't seem to push myself. I hold myself back. My gowear band has helped a lot. I walk and exercise a lot more. The one thing is, you have to log your calories. I am not good at doing that. I am going to have to make some changes as well. I know what I have to do.Like you stated, I have read many websites, and articles. It is just the follow thru. I just wanted you to know, I too was worried I would not be able to wear the gowear under my uniform. It is so small and nobody has noticed it. I wear mine up high on my arm when I work.

Kristen, what is your workout routine? You have really made a lot of changes to your body. I would love to do that. It just goes back to the holding myself back.

Thanks everyone. There are many great tips in this thread.

SW 254 2/25/2010
    CW 214
    GW 154

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Buggslee View Post
    Hi Teresa, I know how you feel. I seem to struggle every couple weeks with the same few pounds. I sometimes think I sabotage myself. When I am working out I get in a good pace but then slow down. I can't seem to push myself. I hold myself back. My gowear band has helped a lot. I walk and exercise a lot more. The one thing is, you have to log your calories. I am not good at doing that. I am going to have to make some changes as well. I know what I have to do.Like you stated, I have read many websites, and articles. It is just the follow thru. I just wanted you to know, I too was worried I would not be able to wear the gowear under my uniform. It is so small and nobody has noticed it. I wear mine up high on my arm when I work.

Kristen, what is your workout routine? You have really made a lot of changes to your body. I would love to do that. It just goes back to the holding myself back.

Thanks everyone. There are many great tips in this thread.
    Thank you! Ihave to say, it is all about giving yourself 100% to the process... for me, it works because I make it mandatory. I work out 7 days a week, and I make sure every choice I make is one that will better my health and bring me closer to my goal. I yo-yo'd for years, never finding my way, and finally I am realizing that I was the same way...always making excuses, always thinking I'll start tomorrow, always doing well for a while, then getting busy. There will always be an excuse not to do it...so how about making it non-excusable to NOT do it!

I do cardio every day. I don't think it is mandatory to have a rest day, as long as you are aware of your body and not overworking it. I alternate running and elliptical right now. One day I will walk a mile at a 5to 7% incline at around 4mph, then run a mile at 0% incline, at 6 to 7mph, and then walk another half mile. That usually doesn't take very long, and then my cardio is done. On elliptical day, I will usually do 45 minutes to an hour of FULL blast...there is no reason to even get on the elliptical if you are going to do a low to medium effort workout. The only way to change your body for good it to SWEAT!

My main focus is on weight training though. I have become friends with every machine in the gym. The scary ones I never knew how to use, the floor equipment, the free weights. Weight lifting has changed my body unlike anything I have ever done. I alternate upper and lower body, making sure I hit each muscle group 2 to 3 times a week. I also do a lot of ab work....a LOT. It takes a long time of serious devotion, but you will see results!! I live on a top floor apartment, so my fiance and I will often race up the 3 flights of stairs to see who can make it up faster. I only take stairs 2 at a time. I park as far away at the store as I can. If I feel like I have extra energy that day, I'll walk or jog to the gym. It's about getting active as a lifestyle, not just in the gym!

It's about making it full time. I don't take food cheat days, If I really want something bad enough, I add it in to my daily intake and make darn sure my GoWear band and I make up for it! I have let myself maintain a few times during this last chunk of weight loss, and the more muscle I have on me, the easier it is getting to maintain. I can't wait till I'm at goal and can relax a little, but till then, getting healthy is first in my life!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks for all the info Kristen. You are so determined! I need to get more strict with myself. I really want to lose the weight and keep it off!

SW 254 2/25/2010
    CW 214
    GW 154

Photos
    View albums

I think most of us on here struggle somewhat with the motivation, or we wouldn't be in the position we are in! I think everyone's ideas about making sure you are not deficient in any nutrients is a great idea to start! I also agree that a little bit of something is better than a lot of nothing! When I was folding laundry tonight, I was doing squats and calf raises, my daughter was looking at me kinda funny, but that's ok! If you watch TV at night have some hand weights next to you, do some bicep curls, or lateral raises. Do bicycle crunches on the commercials, whatever, anything! Tell yourself you aren't allowed to watch your shows until you have accomplished (fill in the blank). Also, I had a bout of depression a few years ago, during my pregnancy and afterward that it took me a long long time to admit to myself was depression, and to pull myself out of. I feel like I'm still kind of coming out of it now. Life issues and pregnancy/hormonal issues both caused it. I wasn't crying all day, I wasn't sad and suicuidal. I was freaking exhausted! I jsut wanted to be left the h3ll alone, and hang out in bed, and not deal with anything! I stopped opening mail, I ignored my responsibilities, except for the bare minimum, etc. It was miserable! If this sounds like you, guess what the NUMBER ONE cure for depression is? You probably guessed it! IT's exercise!! haha sorry lady ,it's the truth!

Lastly, women are expected to do an awful lot in our society. Not only are we to be thin, sexy, and stay young forever, but we are also expected to be educated, have a great career, keep a perfect home, raise a strong loving and successful family, and have a strong helathy and happy marriage! It's a TON of pressure, and to be honest, I don;t know any woman who really does it all WELL.... I am lucky enough to not have to work while I am staying home with my little one, but I am finishing my degree, losing weight, caring for a 15 year old, a 2 year old, an unhelpful selfish stroke victim hubby, and running and maintaining a house which is up for sale at the moment, so I get two hours notice minimum before people want to come take a look.... it is A LOT!!!
    And to be honest with you, before phen, I was not handling it well. I am keeping the house together much better now, and getting done most of what I need to. I have to demand help from my husband with the two year old more than I used to in order to keep my sanity but that is a good thing! Point to my novel- don't be too hard on yourself! Do what you can do, and feel proud of what you have accomplished. As you do more, you will get satisfaction from a job well done!

(Sorry sooo long everyone!)
    My two new mantras:
    The only way we'll fail is if we give up! and
    If we continue to behave like thin, healthy, fit people, we will eventually look like them too!

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by tashiebraun View Post
    Have you ever had a sleep study done? My energy level was 0 before I got diagnosed with sleep apena.
    I don't think I have sleep apena but I do have issues in sleeping good. I wake up in the night to use the bathroom often and no matter how tired I am I still have a hard time falling asleep. It is not from the Phen, it was like that before I started taking it, just something I am used to.

So, this is a good point that after not getting a good night sleep, then work very hard during the day (some days not as hard, I am a leasing agent for a large apartment community, some days are up and down stairs showing apartments all day in the heat and some are slow), then coming home to take care of my family (and I am not real good at that with ordering out food sometimes, ok, a lot of times).
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn675 View Post
    When was the last time you had a full physical? I went and had one a few months ago and I found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency. Never even heard of that before. I now take 50,000 mg of Vitamin D once a week until my levels are normal again. I feel so much better now.
    My Dr has giving me a script to go get blood work done since Feb, they just got on to me this last visit since I haven't had it done so I need to get it done before my next visit. They want you to come in and do not drink or eat before coming in so it makes it hard to find a day so I am just going to let me work know I will be a little late one day this next week.

I did have it all done back in Nov-Dec 2008 when I was trying to get LapBand. Everything was good, my insurance denied me since I didn't have any health issues, I really thought I would. I am glad I didn't get it now though, at that time I didn't know about Phen. I am sure I would have been at goal weight by now but the thought of having something inside of me like that now makes me glad I didn't do it not that it is not a good idea for people that really need it.
    Teresa

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

mrsace,ive been reading your post on this thread i dont no how often u have blood work done.but recently i had mine done and my thyroid was hypo.causing it to function slow so in turn this caused my weight loss to slow no matter how much i dieted or exercised and also my energy level was down .n i was more depressed..i was put on a small dose of synthroid and my thyroid is almost at normal functioning level.i have more energy cause my metabolisim is working normal and i am losing wt at a normal wt.this is just a thought for u to get checked out if u already didnt.there could be many reasons why u r exp what u r.also if ur off phen u no longer will exp that burst of energy .hope this helps goodluck =)