Close
    Gold Phenster valsdetermined2lose's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Default Gained 5 pounds OVERNIGHT! HOW?

OK , either somethings wrong with my scale or i'm crazy, How can i have gained 5 pounds overnight? what is going on, i'm trying to lose weight not gain it all back TEARS!

I'm seriously thinking i can't do this anymore without considering weight loss surgery? I have been under alot of financial stress but i still have been eating right and excercising at least 3 to 4 times a week. I know it could be water gain but i take daily water pills prescribed by my doctor.

Please help, if someone can please elaborate or if you have had this same kind of thing happen to you, what did you do to overcome this?

SW-1/3/2014- 193
    Goal weight by 2/14/2014- 183

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster battleofthebulge's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I take prescription water pills too but I still get water retention. I retain more water when I donít drink enough water that day. My body will hold on to everything and it will take a day or two of drinking adequate water for my body to let go even with water pills. I have actually gained 15 pounds in one night. I use to take lasics because of how bad it was. I now drink a ton of water and drink dandelion root tea to help my kidney functions, as a result I do not have to take such a strong water pill and I donít retain nearly as much water.

Gold Phenster valsdetermined2lose's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the comment but ive been drinking seriously around 100 oz a day for the past week. I've been counting every sip, trust me i refill my 32oz weight watchers jug at least 4 times a day and drink all of it. I just don't understand whats going on with my body anymore. I feel like a loser now because i was doing very good in the beginning and now it seems like nothing is working, phen isnt working anymore.

SW-1/3/2014- 193
    Goal weight by 2/14/2014- 183

Photos
    View albums

my initial guess is that maybe the financial stress is part of the problem. Stress does hinder weight loss. And of course, there isnt much you can do to get rid of the stress, at least immediately. To manage financial stress long term, i highly recommend dave ramsey's financial peace classes, but that's another subject.

As far as the 5 pound gain goes, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Those days do happen. I had a 5 pound gain over a weekend a while back and was pretty mad about it too. it worked itself out over the next week, and its in the past.

Be careful about weighing every day. Most of us, including myself, do it. But it is a motivator for me. I see a loss and it motivates me to go for more. i see a small gain and it makes me mad and that much more motivated. But not everyone works that way. For a small gain to make you question your ability to lose without surgery makes me think daily weigh ins may not be a good motivator for you. That's not good or bad... it is just the way it is. So, maybe stick to weekly weigh ins for a bit and see if that helps.

In any case, weight loss surgery would likely only add to the financial pressure since most insurance doesnt cover it.

No worries though. You *can* do this! I know you are working hard on this. The trick is to focus on how good it feels to be doing the right thing, and trust that it will pay off even when you can't see the evidence on the scale. Easier said than done. Trust me, I know

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I hear your frustrations and understand them. Don't give up on yourself though! Keep on chugging water and weigh yourself tomorrow morning, I bet it was just water retention and it will even out. I also agree that you may want to have someone hide the scale from you until your weekly weigh in day. Sometimes the scale is a motivator for me and other times I get soooo frustrated that the #'s not moving that I want to give up. It's definitely a mind game! Keep up your good work and don't be so hard on yourself!
    Summer Challenge BEFORE pic, 3/24/2012 214.6lbs

WEEK 1--3/28: Goal 212 Actual 213 (-1.6)
    WEEK 2--4/4: Goal 209 Actual
    Summer Challenge 3/24-6/30/2012

Change happens not by hatred but by love. Change happens when you understand what you want to change so deeply that there is no reason to do anything but act in your own best interest.
    ~Geneen Roth

Photos
    View albums

Are you "regular"? Phen gives most of us serious constipation issues, I have seen my weight jump up 7 pounds in 24 hours before due to it! I drink smooth move tea and make sure I am eating fiber and 'trying' to avoid too much cheese, even though it's one of my favorite foods! Also, if you are working out a lot remember that muscle weighs more than fat. I have had weight loss stalls for weeks, but lost lot's of inches in that time. Take a deep breath, look at your body as a whole and try to figure out the contributing factors, and weigh yourself again tomorrow. The way to win the battle is to give yourself to the process....tell yourself that no matter what, you are going to do this. Your body will fight back, especially if you have been heavy a long time. You have to be stronger than your fears and skepticism!!
    I have rid myself of 80lbs as of August 2010. Some with Phen, some without.
    1st time on Phen: SW230 EW 200
    2nd time on Phen: SW202 Current weight:161

My Wedding, Sept 4th, 2010 160 Pounds!

The old me....and the new me!!

Highest weight:250 Current weight:166

Photos
    View albums

I completely understand how you feel. I gained 5 pounds in 3 days recently... all while staying at 1200 calories and working out daily. Then I got depressed and ate too much, then I cried, then I picked myself up and dusted myself and started back on track... and the weight was gone in 3 days. I think I was retaining water like crazy even though I took some water pills. I think I made it even worse by stressing out over it too. Be kind to yourself right now, stay on course with your diet and it'll fall off just as fast.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I'm thinking this is more likely because of water weight. Sometimes people can retain water even if they're drinking tons of it/taking water pills. Also, could it be close to the TOM? Are you weighing yourself in the morning before you eat? Constipation could also be a culprit. There are many, many reasons, but I doubt that it is actual weight you've put on. You're likely to see it disappear within the next few days.

I used to have this sort of thing happen to me all the time, which is why when I diet I only weigh myself once a month or so. I get so wrapped up in the numbers, when in reality they will fluctuate, but it doesn't mean much.

Even if it you had put on 5 lbs., it's a minor setback. Keep on going, I know you can get through this. Losing weight can be full of setbacks and disappointments but if you pull through, you'll get a lot further than giving up.

Photos
    View albums

Every time I've tried to lose weight in the past, I ended up with scale issues. That is why my DH was hiding them from me and only bringing them out once a week.
    Before, when I would see something like this, I would freak, get discouraged and give up. I have gotten a handle on it now and am able to weigh every day without it bothering me other than for motivation like ajay was talking about.
    I am in this for the long haul. I will not give up no matter what that scale says.

Every reason in every post here is one that I've experienced but still gave in to that darn number and gave up in the past.

Now what I have realized is that my poor abused body actually needs time to decide that it has lost a couple pounds. And I have also experienced
    "whooshes" where I've LOST 5 pounds overnight.

I realize if I give up, that means I am going back to a very unhealthy way of living and eating. That is what I focus on now, I am feeling better, no matter what the numbers.
    And listen to the post about muscle weight versus fat weight. Measure and see if inches are being lost.

Now go and stick your tongue out at that fickle scale, tell it your going to "show it". And if need be, give it to a family member or a neighbor to hold onto till next weeks weigh in.

Hang in there.
    (((((hugs))))))