Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Doctors should not prescribe Phen.....

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Doctors should not prescribe Phen.....

to individuals that are not obese! I could go on and rant but I won't because I would surely p@ss someone off!!!!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default too late

Everyone has their own reasons for going on Phen! What if your werent obese and had a multitude of surgeries that prohibited you from working out and you gained excess weight and needed a jump start. What if your PCP deemed it "Medically Necessary". What if you can't lose that extra 20lbs post baby weight and your Dr. who has a License to uphold wanted to help? What if What if, not too be rude but that comment was deemed NOT NECESSARY, but that is the beauty of free speech you can have it! I am sure someone else might have a bit to offer that is much more eloquent than myself.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by dee2010 View Post
    to individuals that are not obese! I could go on and rant but I won't because I would surely p@ss someone off!!!!
    This topic has already been covered in a non accusing way. People explained their reasons for using it and it makes complete sense. I doubt most legit dr's could prescribe it without good reason. Sounds like you could use a good workout to blow off some steam.

Nov1 - Bday Challenge

Photos
    View albums

Hey I agree with DEE. If you gained 20 pounds from having a baby and went from 110 to 130 and average hight or at least 5'3". than no you should not go on phen. If you are trying to get to 8% body fat than no you should not go on phen, just work out hard and practice self control and moderation with your food. Skinny preagnant women did it before the baby they can do it after. Please remember this is a drug. A drug that I eleceted to stop taking after It helped me with curving my appitite. Phen is not a fat burner so its not going to help you get down to a 115 pounds. thats what 8% body fat looks like. My friend is a health nut and constantly trying to trim her fat and she is at 8%
    Last edited by koorbwest; July 8th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
    be in it to win it, stay happy and healthy

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by dee2010 View Post

Well since you don't have MD behind your name, you really don't have the knowledge to make that decision. Why in the world would you even make that statement on here? Are you just having some Phen rage and want to p@ss some one off? I am 142 and have bad back pain, I have a small frame and I am in a lot of pain when I am over 132. I eat pretty healthy, but I have never been one to lose weight easy. What you did when you made that statement was judge us. ( the people who are not obese) Like maybe we should be able to lose weight on our own? Then why should obese people get that extra help? The truth is no matter how much you weigh, if your doctor thinks you can benefit from Phen then it should be used.

Remember we are here to support each other. NOT JUDGE!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default 8 %

I am not even on Phen anymore for one. 8% for me as a man is completely obtainable. I am at about 13% right now so it s just a number thin for me. I was just defending peoples reasons for using phen. I know women body builders that use it pre-contest which they get it from there PCP. Who gets to state who is worthy of using the drug or not is my point.

Photos
    View albums

I agree with her because it is an appetite suppressant not a fat burner. and it is for short term use, it is not a life style. I dont understand smaller people using it. No i dont have a medical degree, but i have common sense. I would caution people on using this as a lifestyle and not a legg up or assistance.

Holly i hear you loud and clear. But what happens when you cant take phen anymore? 132 pounds is not heavy maybe you should see a chiropractor. I would hate for you to use phen to long and end up with other medical problems.

Also every one remember there are mal practice suits for a reason. Phen is a big money maker for Doctors so it benefits them to subscribe something that is not harmful at the start but harmful in the long run. Just think about it.

Photos
    View albums

I will honestly say I have wondered when I see people that only need to lose 5-20 pounds taking phen, but if that's what they want to do, more power to them. At the end of the day, it's their choice.
    TaySipes likes this.
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

"Laughter -- nature's morphine since the beginning of time."

Photos
    View albums

honestly

i think it should be over the counter

global obesity would not be an issue
    TaySipes likes this.

my before pic

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by koorbwest View Post
    I agree with her because it is an appetite suppressant not a fat burner. and it is for short term use, it is not a life style. I dont understand smaller people using it. No i dont have a medical degree, but i have common sense. I would caution people on using this as a lifestyle and not a legg up or assistance.

Holly i hear you loud and clear. But what happens when you cant take phen anymore? 132 pounds is not heavy maybe you should see a chiropractor. I would hate for you to use phen to long and end up with other medical problems.

Also every one remember there are mal practice suits for a reason. Phen is a big money maker for Doctors so it benefits them to subscribe something that is not harmful at the start but harmful in the long run. Just think about it.
    I don't think you understand. I am not using it as a lifestyle drug. I was 150 and in alot of pain. Now I am 142 working toward 132. A chiropractor can't help my spine problem. I have already tried.
    I could ask you the same question.....What are you going to do when you can no longer use phen? Phen is great for a jump start, not a life long drug. I will only be on this 2 months. Again, what each person decides is there own choice. You guys seem to be coming down on people using who are not obese. We are not judging you guys for not getting help before you got obese. My goodness.....this is a S U P P O R T G R O U P! If I wanted to be judged I would have told my co workers, friends and family. If we are going to start judging people lets talk about all the other things that everyone does that can cause health problems. Smoking, over eating, driving too fast, not getting regular check- ups from the doctor, not exercising, I could keep going..... But that is not my place. I am here to offer support to anyone who decides to be on phen. I am not here to judge.
    I would like to say one more thing......it was crazy that she would even start this thread. I mean come on!

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by friendofgreen View Post
    honestly

I agree. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really don't understand why we should care about it being prescribed for someone who is not obese. What's your gripe? I'm seriously wracking my brain trying to understand why it matters to you one way or another. The only conclusion I can come to is jealousy and that's not a good look. Rather than worrying about other people and their choice to use the drug, perhaps you might want to reflect on why it matters to you.

I was barely obese when it was prescribed to me. After a month I'm no longer obese. Does that mean I shouldn't be able to get another script when I see my doctor in a couple of weeks? I would think that ultimately the medications someone decides to take is between them and their doctor. There's another phen board out there that's always full of drama, I think some of the people there are literally insane. I hope this board doesn't descend into that type of backbiting madness.

Photos
    View albums

Holy i already decided a month in not to take any more. All i needed was jump start. I realized i didnt need it. Just needed to get my big but in gear. your still not fat.

Photos
    View albums

I don't think it's really my right or responsibility to judge who takes phen or who doesnt. In my *opinion*, phen most served as an appetite supressant to me. Once I adjusted to a new diet lifestyle I really didnt need it anymore. In fact, this go round I have only taken it very sporadically.

To me, if someone is less than 20 poundd away from their goal weight, then an appetite supressant isn't really what they need.

Nevertheless, the decision to use any legally prescribed medication by anyone isn't really my business.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by koorbwest View Post
    Holy i already decided a month in not to take any more. All i needed was jump start. I realized i didnt need it. Just needed to get my big but in gear. your still not fat.

A jump start is why I am on it. I am not on it because I think I am fat. I am trying to get out of back pain.

Like I said.....this whole thread is crazy. That is like me saying well if you were on Phen once and gained your weight back you don't deserve to be on it again....
    This is nuts...Here I am on the phen support group defending myself becasue I am taking phen. I guess I should have waited until I got really big, and could not move. Then I would be worthy of getting phen.

Photos
    View albums

honestly

I wonder how much trouble I would get myself into if this were the case. For some reason seeing the "one time daily" on my script bottle keeps me out of trouble. (mostly)
    SW 188
    CW 156.5
    Goal#1 150 (Hopefully by my B-Day Sept 1st)
    Goal#2 135

Before picture... 3-19-2010

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I work for 3 Cardiologists and let me tell you when they found out I was on phen at one time they about blew a head gasket! The main Doc said it CAN be a precursor to Arrhythmia's as well as enlarged heart etc. As for me I didnt really care I was on it for under 3 mths met my goal went about my way. He did tell me that when his own wife was finished giving birth to his 2nd child he put her on Meridia which works as an appetite suppressant without the speeding effect. She worked out and lost the 20lbs baby weight(great for her). I would hit Phen again 6 days a week and twice on Sun if I felt as if I needed it. I understand the gal with the back problem for sure. I had 6 knee surgeries and gained 40lbs which I could do nothing about it. I got on phen lost 65lbs in 2.5 mths but I did gain 10 back which was ok. I am glad it is available to anyone deemed Medically Necessary by a Doc. Side note I drove from 1,100 miles straight thru on a half then 4 hrs later the other half of 37.5mg! Phen is a great tool!

Photos
    View albums

It's none of my business what people do or take. They could smoke crack if they wanted to. I don't care. I'm here to improve ME and ME only and offer support to those who need it. If a person is only 15-20lbs away from their goal weight and they feel like maybe they still need phen to help them along the way then that's THEIR choice and their doctor's.

Now I don't believe it should just be handed out to anyone who gained 5 or 10lbs and haven't tried to lose weight before. It should be for people who need it and they're actually trying. So if you need it for 100+lbs or just 20lbs then that's your decision. I'm not here to judge.
    TaySipes likes this.
    "Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

I can't wait to be the old me again!

Photos
    View albums

Doctors shouldnt prescribe it if its only for 5-20 pounds. Im on it because a regular diet failed and Im at risk for heart disease and all that other stuff, so Im glad my doctor prescribed it

Photos
    View albums

Default Playing the Devil's Advocate.....

What if Phen got pulled off the market because Drs were giving it to anyone that requested it?

While I truly could care less what other people do to their bodies, I AM concerned about how that action could keep someone else down the line from being able to use it appropriately. However, I am not a DR and I do not get to make those choices.

Also, I think it is kinda funny that Drs will say that this drug can cause this-n-that but will hand out pain meds like skittles. Just sayin!
    What you feed will take up residence.

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.
    Kenji Miyazawa

Photos
    View albums

Default All I'm going to say

A person's reasons for using phen are nothing but their own business.

I am tired of seeing posts like this one. They are rude, disrespectful, and hurtful. They are also POINTLESS.

People need to grow up and stop causing problems.
    SW: 187 (4/26/10)
    182.6 lbs (5/17/10) Started Phen
    173.4 lbs (6/14/10) Stopped Phen
    CW: 173.8 (9/23/10)
    GW: 135

My Goals:
    1. -15 lbs (172)
    2. -10% (168.3)
    3. -20 lbs (167)
    4. -28 lbs (159)
    5. -37 lbs (150)
    6. -40 lbs (147)
    7. Healthy BMI (140)
    8. 135 (goal is by Cancun next summer!)

3 Month Challenge 7/29/10-10/28/10
    SW: 177.8
    GW: In the 160s (-8 to -17.8 lbs)

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
    A person's reasons for using phen are nothing but their own business.

I am tired of seeing posts like this one. They are rude, disrespectful, and hurtful. They are also POINTLESS.

People need to grow up and stop causing problems.

All I have to say is I agree with you 100%.

Photos
    View albums

Default ignore thread yall

honestly

ok im on board with you but as far as the above comment i think this person just decided to make this post just to stir us up and get a good laugh dont indulge it ignore it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I have been debating on whether to post on this thread or not. What it comes down to is you have two types of people on the boards. You have people who have struggled with their weight for years and have done everything they could to lose the extra weight....and then you have people who in are uncomfortable in their skin (but look "normal" to everyone else) as they are and want to change it. End result is we all are aiming at the same goal of being happy with ourselves.

However, there have been a lot of points made on here today and some I agree with and other I dont. Yes, Phen is handed out like candy and not always to people who medically need it. Some doctors will give out whatever to whoever(needed or not) without blinking...and dont care until a malpractice suit pops up. Some states have already started making laws to regulate the distribution of Phen (BMI requirements and length of continuous use), and if its abused it could very well be pulled completely. Now I know I am going to get screamed at for my next comment but I speak my opinion...if you have only 5-15 pounds to lose (starting weight) and you are what is considered average height and the first thing you do is pop a pill before you even make ANY effort at losing it by working out and changing your eating habits then its just pure laziness. I say this because I know it is totally possibly to workout unless you are physically unable to move (I have a severely messed up ankle, knee, and back). Like my chiropractor, my orthopedic surgeon, and my physical therapist say....If you can walk, you can excercise. Rant all you want...because I know its probably coming.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Angry Really?!

This is laughable. Almost pathetic Dee2010. Did some skinny girl hyped up on a bottle of phen key your car today or what? I'm 5'5 167 down from 181 and I have an auto-immune disorder that causes severe fatigue and depression. I treat my depression and I maintain a healthy weight with diet and phen...I can't jog miles and I can't go to gyms full of germs because I have a compromised immune system that makes me so sensitive to bacteria. So should I not have an opportunity to lose weight and feel better about myself? Its none of your business what someone else does...its called free will. How would you like it if some skinny girl said "I don't think lazy fat people should be prescribed medicine to help, they are just lazy"? A girl saying that would sound just as uneducated and antagonistic as u. You should probably concentrate less on other peoples issues and look inward my dear.
    TaySipes likes this.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by BrewCityBaby View Post
    I have been debating on whether to post on this thread or not. What it comes down to is you have two types of people on the boards. You have people who have struggled with their weight for years and have done everything they could to lose the extra weight....and then you have people who in are uncomfortable in their skin (but look "normal" to everyone else) as they are and want to change it. End result is we all are aiming at the same goal of being happy with ourselves.

However, there have been a lot of points made on here today and some I agree with and other I dont. Yes, Phen is handed out like candy and not always to people who medically need it. Some doctors will give out whatever to whoever(needed or not) without blinking...and dont care until a malpractice suit pops up. Some states have already started making laws to regulate the distribution of Phen (BMI requirements and length of continuous use), and if its abused it could very well be pulled completely. Now I know I am going to get screamed at for my next comment but I speak my opinion...if you have only 5-15 pounds to lose (starting weight) and you are what is considered average height and the first thing you do is pop a pill before you even make ANY effort at losing it by working out and changing your eating habits then its just pure laziness. I say this because I know it is totally possibly to workout unless you are physically unable to move (I have a severely messed up ankle, knee, and back). Like my chiropractor, my orthopedic surgeon, and my physical therapist say....If you can walk, you can excercise. Rant all you want...because I know its probably coming.

Good point, Brew. No screaming or ranting coming from me, LOL
    SW: 187 (4/26/10)
    182.6 lbs (5/17/10) Started Phen
    173.4 lbs (6/14/10) Stopped Phen
    GW: 135

My Goals:
    1. -15 lbs (172)
    2. -10% (168.3)
    3. -20 lbs (167)
    4. -28 lbs (159)
    5. -37 lbs (150)
    6. -40 lbs (147)
    7. Healthy BMI (140)
    8. 135 (goal is by Cancun next summer!)

3 Month Challenge 7/29/10-10/28/10
    SW: 177.8
    GW: In the 160s (-8 to -17.8 lbs)

Photos
    View albums

A little weight isn't little when it's yours.
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by BrewCityBaby View Post

This will be my final post on this thread, but if it's so easy to lose 5-15 pounds, then nobody should be on Phen. Because if you can lose that you can keep doing it. Also just because you are physically able to exercise doesn't mean you are mentally able. Some people just lose their will. My Doctor said somebody that is my size that needs to lose 15-18 pounds is like a heavier person losing 50 pounds. Just for F Y I , I tried for 6 months to lose this weight, the doctor does not know why I can't. She even ordered blood tests. I eat small amounts, don't drink much more than water, and hardly ever eat fried foods.

Also, I would like to say I don't agree with their only being 2 types of people on here, "over weight people who have struggled for ever", and the "so called normal looking people who are uncomfortable in their skin." That is a very unfair statement. I am VERY comfortable in my skin. I am fine with being 150, but with my spine problems I just can't carry the extra weight with out pain. I would rather be on Phen for 2 months than pain pills for the rest of my life.

Photos
    View albums

Holly, I know you said this was your final post to this thread, but I hope you will read my response even if you choose not to respond. I believe you were upset by other things on this thread and are overreacting to Brew City's response. WHen she talked about people being uncomfortable in their own skin, she specifically said that we are all here for the same thing- to feeel better about ourselves-how can you possibly think that is judgemental or treating someone in that category unfairly?
    Also, if you re-read what she said about if one made NO effort to make the changes before popping the pill, it would not be a good idea. Clearly this doesn't refer to you, as you tried for 6 months to lose the weight you needed to. I really think you took what she said wrong, or else you want to find something to be offended about, I hope that's not the case.
    All that said, I suffer from chronic back pain too, though mine is more muscular than skeletal, though my bad posture doesn't help! I hope you are finding phen to be a successful tool to help you lose the weight you'd like to, and I don't judge you for a minute for using it in that way! Good luck!
    My two new mantras:
    The only way we'll fail is if we give up! and
    If we continue to behave like thin, healthy, fit people, we will eventually look like them too!

Photos
    View albums

Holly, this is not the first thread about this and it wont be the last, don't let people get to you, they come on and make a comment to make some drama and then don't even come back on to respond and get everyone going. I have been here for a year and I see this all the time, just ignore it and you do what is best for you.
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

Well actually...

The more overweight you are, the easier it is to lose. I see happen all the time.. someone gets on phen and posts OMG I LOST 10 LBS IN A WEEK... AND ALL I DID WAS TAKE THIS PILL!!! How do you think that makes those of us who are on the homestretch feel? Those of us who have been eating right and busting our butts working out for MONTHS and hardly see the scale budge anymore? You have NO IDEA how hard it is to lose once you are closer to your goal. If i were your Dr, and you walked into my office being obese and asked me for phen, i'd ask to see your food and exercise journal first.. to make sure you are serious and at least ATTEMPING to live a healthy lifestyle on your own. If you were, then yeah, i'd give it to you. If not, then you wouldnt deserve it... and i wouldnt care how fat you were.

People who are responsible and serious about losing weight deserve a break.. no matter where they are on their journey. Why dont you take some of this pent up aggresion out on a heavy bag, or take yourself a nice long jog... it would probably serve you better.
    TaySipes likes this.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Eloquently spoken Ms!

Photos
    View albums

Really? Wow that's kinda disappointing.. i was attempting to keep the original theme of 'in your face' and 'rude'.

Will have to try harder next time

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by msmil View Post
    Really? Wow that's kinda disappointing.. i was attempting to keep the original theme of 'in your face' and 'rude'.

Will have to try harder next time
    I am VERY disappointed in you MsMil. You are falling down on the job! hehe

I guess I find somewhat amusing that someone would leave because another person disagreed with them. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    What you feed will take up residence.

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.
    Kenji Miyazawa

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

ok so I am going to state a fact (which I am SURE will offend someone)... without the right combo of diet and excercise you will not keep off what you lose...period.

oh and for those who have the theory that all heavier people lose faster...not true in many cases. I have always been a healthy eater and very active..and guess what no fast weight loss for me no matter if i have been 150 or 230 pounds. You get back what you put into it...nuff said. happy friday!!

Photos
    View albums

Who's offended? I will keep the weight off, no doubt. The only time i've ever gained in my adult life is when i was pregnant. (was a fat kid and teen tho.. 220 something at 19 yrs old.) So now, being a mom of three kids and in my thirties.. losing the baby weight didnt go quite as smoothly as it did in the past. But imo, the first 30 lbs i lost was a snap compared to the last 10, and the next 10 will be even harder i'm sure. So i apologize if that offends you. And i agree.. you get out of it what you put in.

Indeed, happy friday everyone!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast