Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default Average weight loss in the first month?

Hi all!

I just started Phentermine about a month ago. It has done absolute wonders for me. In just one month I have went from the person who had a gym membership and never walked through the doors, zoned out in front of a computer for hours and shoveled fast food into my mouth every day like it was going out of style, to somebody who enjoys to just get up and strech my legs, throw on the ipod and go for a walk and be absolutly conscious of what food I put into my mouth (ALMOST to the point of obsession!! )

But, despite all of this, I only lost 6 pounds on my first Phentermine weigh in last week. Is this normal? My doctor seemed very disappointed in my small loss. I am in my early 20's and he said he's seen much higher loss from people my age - hell, my mother in her 50s lost 15 and weighed in the same day.

Any suggestions on what I could do to boost the number loss? I was so let down and I really beat myself up over it. Although i'm tired of feeling sorry for myself for being fat, i'm also sick of feeling sorry for myself for not being skinny fast enough. It's a terrible cycle I don't want to be in anymore! I know it didn't take me a month to get into this mess and it won't take a month to get out. Has anybody else had a single digit initial weight loss on the medicine? Any and all comments/suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you~

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I think it just varies from person to person. Like I'm losing slower than most people on here but I'm not getting discouraged..it's still a loss afterall.

How's your diet and water intake? Water helps tremendously! I can't help you on your diet but I'm sure the other well knowledged members on here can!
    "Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

I can't wait to be the old me again!

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the reply!

I have almost entirely cut out any sort of soda, juice, etc. I will occasionally have a sports drink or a juice made with splenda but that is few and far between. I try to drink a refilled bottle of SmartWater during work (33.8oz) and make up for the rest when I get home. How much should I consume on an average? I've heard half my weight in ounces (that is a LOT of water!), a minimum of 100oz, etc.

Edit: As for diet, I have completely cut out all fast foods with the exception of salads with grilled chicken (just plain, like the grilled garden salads from BK.) When I first started Phentermine I would consume 500-800 calories a day because I was just not hungry. This happened for 2 1/2 weeks until my body got used to the medicine, I guess. Now I try not to go over 1400.

I make an honest effort to hit the gym, home treadmill, workout video, etc. 6 days a week for a minimum of 45 minutes. I missed 4 days last week before my weigh in which could have been my deciding factor.
    Last edited by Coquii; June 28th, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to post diet!

Photos
    View albums

You're right! It's best to get in 100-120oz of water in daily! It may be hard at first but just keep on guzzling it down! The best thing to do with your diet is to cut out BK completely. It may seem healthy but fast food salads really aren't. Always look to get in your protein and watch your sodium intake as that can make you retain water. And lots of veggies! And I believe any exercise is great..just get your heart rate up and sweat! It counts!
    "Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

I can't wait to be the old me again!

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Agree about the fast food salads!! And fast food in general.. It's really opened my eyes to what is actually in that stuff. Can we even call it food? Looks like I'll hit the grocery store instead of the drive-thru line.. No excused since they're right next to each other. Thanks again sarahollywood!!

Photos
    View albums

Like someone above mentioned, it depends on the person. I lost 17 pounds the first month, but I'm heavier than you, which would probably explain that. The second month, I lost 14, and the third I lost 10. I then got off the phen and lost 12 pounds this month. Definitely make sure you're getting enough water, and that you're eating the "good" stuff -- whole grains, protein, fish, etc.
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

"Laughter -- nature's morphine since the beginning of time."

Photos
    View albums

My girlfriend was eating those fast food salads as well, but I showed her where she could cook up a few chicken breasts at home, dice them up and put them in ziploc bags in 4-6 oz portions and freeze them. She also bought those salads in a bag and divided them up as well. Each day she'll just grab a bag of salad and a bag of chicken out of the freezer for her lunch. By lunchtime the chicken would be thawed and made a good nutritious lunch for half the price of those fast-food salads. If you don't want to cook at all, buy some chicken or turkey at the grocery deli, they have good prices in most of the stores with big delis, and put that on your salad. Sometimes I'll just put a small can of tuna on my salad. Add a little vinegar and olive oil and it's delish!

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

rozlips is right.
    I do exactly what she suggests and it's worked really well for me. I don't cook much anymore for two teenages boys and often eat alone because they are into so much with their friends. I want to eat healthy but I don't want to cook just for me so I usually pick up a whole cooked chicken from my local grocery store at least 2-3 times a week when I pick up salad mix.

Not only do I do that for myself, I also cook in bulk over the weekend and freeze it for the boys. I make things like spaghetti, meatloaf, baked fish, steamed veggies - put portions into containers and freeze.

The time spent is well worth it. I just grab and go which helps me avoid the temtation of fast food - since I leave across the street from McD's, Jack-In-the Box, a pizza joint, two chinese food restaurants, a hawaiian bbq, Wing Stop, Taco Bell, and a Buffet Restaurant Chain (Hometown Buffet).

You need to watch your sodium intake. Fast foods and frozen dinners are FULL of hidden sodium.

The water is hard at first but I've trained myself to drink one gallon (128 oz) a day - that took about 2 weeks. I was overwhelmed at first and I also use to refill those Vitamin Water bottles but I got tired of refilling which is hard to do at work because our kitchen is on a different floor. One day I just bought a 1gallon jug. I start drinking it at home during my AM workout and have a goal to finish it by the time I get off work. I bring the empty jug home, fill it and keep it in the frig until the next morning.

You can do it if you keep working at it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by curvygirl63; June 28th, 2010 at 02:18 PM.

Photos
    View albums

The doc told me that about 8 pounds is "average" for the first month. I don't eat very many salads but if that's a big part of your diet make sure you get the most out of it by using darker greens (more like the spring mix lettuce) and adding beans, nuts, fruit, raw veggies etc. You'll get tons of nutrition in one meal and it'll be more balanced than plain 'ole grilled chicken salads. If you hike your water intake above 100oz the sodium from an occasional fast food salad shouldn't hurt unless you are sodium sensitive - the grilled southwest chicken salad at Mickey D's is yummy and about 460 calories with dressing, 360 without...good luck
    SW/HW: 215 (Aug 2007)
    Then lost 40 lbs on my own: 175 (April 2008)
    SW2: 184.4 (May 26, 2010) Started Phen
    GW: 145 (size 8) NOW size 10 or 30/31 jeans, 8 dresses, S/M tops

Mini Goals:
    170 by Fourth of July (met July 7th)
    160 by my bday 8/24 (MET August 12th)
    145 by September 30th (I hope)

8/4/10: 164.4
    8/11/10: 161.2
    8/18/10: 160.6
    8/25/10: 159.8
    9/1/10: 158.2
    9/8/10: 156.4
    9/23/10: 153.2
    10/8/10: 150.0

Photos
    View albums

everyone's bodies react differently to the med. i lost 12 pds in my first month and now i 've been at the same number for over 2 weeks. look at your diet carefully, perhaps you need more protein and less carbs for instance. maybe your body just needs to adjust to the meds. good luck!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Smile

I lost 7#'s the first monthn then 11#'s the next six weeks and this past six weeks another 7#'s..I say slow and steady wins the gamw

Photos
    View albums

I think I lost roughly 15lbs the first month but that's cause of water weight. Figure you should be losing 2-4 lbs a week. (More or less when taking into account diet and exercise)

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thumbs up First Month

I have lost 20 lbs so far in my 1st month. I drink water constantly. I cut out all the soft drinks, diet drinks included. I only drink water. I buy the flavor packs to give the water a little flavor. I only use those with my meals, and drink plain water the rest of the day. I work at a nursing home as a c.n.a. so I walk my entire shift basically. So I bought me a pair of the shape-ups. Payless has them for $50, which is half the cost of the sketchers, and they do the same thing as the sketcher. I wear them to work everyday. I don't go to the gym, I just walk in the morning for 30 min's and then come in and do some exercises in my room. I work 3-11 shift, so I have the whole day. I eat breakfast at 9, then I take my pill. Then I walk and do my exercises. Then I come in and bathe my children, and clean up a little bit around the house. Then I make me a small snack at around 11. Then at 1 I have lunch. This is the last time I eat until around 4:30 when I get my 1st break at work. Then I have a small snack. Then I eat something for my dinner at around 6 or 6:30. That's all I eat after that for the rest of the night. It is still kind of hard because I was so used to getting off work at 11 and coming home and eating something. I drink water all throughout the day. I probly consume 6-8 20 oz. bottles of water in a 24 hr period. I think the water helps alot with the weight loss. I just hope that I can keep up the work. Things are getting easier for me to adjust to everything. It was hard at 1st watching co workers eating all that fast food in front of me, and drinking the sodas. But I just grab a salad and a water and be content with myself.

Photos
    View albums

Your weight loss number could also be due to the type of phentermine your taking, some are more effective for others....as for myself, the one that works best for me is the 37.5mg Adipex
    Then again everyones body is different and maybe the 30mg capsule could be the best for someone else.
    You just never know until you try em all i guess.
    Ive tried three and of those three that one is the best for me!
    Hope this helps.

Kristy
    Baby Noah arrived July 19th, 2012 7 lbs 7oz
    Weighed: 280 lbs (heaviest ever)
    Lost 40 lbs (water retention)

Started Phentermine (37.5mg)
    September 13th weight: 240 lbs
    One month weigh in:
    Month one lost:

Starting Month two on Phen (37.5mg)
    Month Two start weight:

*Picture shown is me @ 135 lbs in 2003. My biggest goal is getting back there someday

Photos
    View albums

I loss 14 pounds first month but I was naughty and had to have some mixed cocktails and gained 2 but I have been on track ever since loss 10 the 2nd month and I am currently in my 3rd month and have loss 6 so far with about 2 weeks left in the month. Keep in mind I don't diet so my weight loss is slower than others.
    ~ Turning FAT into PHAT ~

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

i have read that the average weight loss on phentermine is 8-12 pounds a month. I would say 6 pounds is GREAT! Congrats!

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I know for me, i always lose a lot fo weight during my first month, and than it slows down so much in my second and third, its pretty sad. I know that last week, my first week back on phetermine, i lost about 8 lbs, and that included me eating and having a few cocktails, so i think it depends on your body. My last go around on Phetermine, i lost 17 lbs the first month and i even went on vacation and ate crap...lol.....also i think if you have more to lose, the more will come off at first. I have about 103, in my head, but in the docs head its like 140....so that might be part of it too. Dont get discouraged....keep it up and it will come off

Aug21- Birthday-Goal dress size 12
    Sept 3- Vacation-Goal Stay at 12
    Oct 6-Vacation-Goal Size 10

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thumbs up

Hey guys for what it's worth, my Dr said that the first month is usually the bigger loss due to the water loss that is included. After that it is all fat..yipee!... which makes things a little slower but again that is the part that counts...right?!!!!!! Also those who have more to lose show bigger #'s in loss on the scale so don't compare yourself to others...the way I try to look at it is "if the scale is going in the right direction then I'm OK!!!!" Ya know what, I am so proud of all of us not just for the weight loss but for the fact that as total strangers we can come together and be an unconditional support system and phen family for all that are here...we're pretty special as far as I am concerned!!!!!!
    LONG TERM GOAL

39 lbs to go
    SW 6/2/2010 175
    GW 9/5/2010 125

Photos
    View albums

Hey Roni don't worry ! I think we need to treat ourselves once in a while. If not we might all go insane. I'm losing weight slower than others but once in a while I need to be bad and have a good nasty high calorie snack. Sometimes it even gives me a mental boost to be even better the next week because I feel bad lol

07/25/2010 223.0 lbs. 15.0 lbs
    06/25/2010 225.0 lbs. 13.0 lbs.
    06/16/2010 228.0 lbs. 10.0 lbs.
    06/02/2010 229.0 lbs. 9.0 lbs.
    05/26/2010 232.0 lbs. 6.0 lbs.
    05/19/2010 238.0 lbs. 0.0 lbs.

Photos
    View albums

Default first month weight loss

I lost about 11 lbs my first month, I was kind of disappointed but my dr. thought it was great, I was down about 9 lbs the second month, and lost a little less in June but wasn't as diligent taking the Phen. Back on track now and hoping to lose at least 10-12 lbs. in July.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Hello all Phen members!! I am back again after my 2nd child!!! I have gained back up to a whopping 249 lbs!!! I am on my journey again w/Phen hoping to lose all this again for good this time!! I started Phen again on 6/23/10 @ 249 lbs and today (6/29/10) I am down to 238.8 lbs...SO I HAVE LOST A NICE 10.2 LBS IN 6 DAYS! I was just scared that I'm losing too fast?? I am drinking lost of water..almost a gallon a day and getting bunches of excercising daily?! Please give me a little input!! All is greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!!
    SW: 6/23/10 249.0 LBS
    CW: 6/29/10 238.8 LBS

Photos
    View albums

This is my first month, and I've lost about 14 pounds, but I'm a vegetarian who drinks about 10 glasses of water and walks about three miles a day. I also started resistance training and weight lifting.

Before I started Phen, I lost about 35 pounds in a year (before becoming a vegetarian) through horrible yo-yo dieting and reached a plateau that was too hard to break. Phen broke that plateau for me.

My advice: Start resistance training, buy some dumbbells, and start lifting. Do lunges, crunches, and anything else that will build muscle, while getting at least 60 grams of protein a day. Building muscle will burn fat a lot faster and keep it off longer.
    5'11 Tall

SW = 235 lbs., size 18
    CW = 180 lbs., size 14, 30% body fat
    GW = 150 lbs., size 8, 15% body fat

Mini Goal #1 = 170 (high school weight)- Sept 1
    Mini Goal #2 = 165 (college weight / smallest I've ever been) - Oct. 1
    Mini Goal #3 = 150 (final weight!) - Jan 1

Photos
    View albums

I agree completely. Cut down on your fast food and increase your water to 100 oz or more. I started out slow but now the weight is dropping. I started in April 28 as of May today I have lost 15 lbs and could have lost more but I stop drinking my water and gave in to the carbs, I'm back to drinking my water working out and cutting out the carbs. When I went to eh doctor I told them that the paperwork they gave me said I could have 20-50 carbs per day. Then they tell me I can only have 10 per serving. OOHH now I get it and it is working out great I lost 5 lbs last week alone. just by doing that and starting 30 minutes in the suana per day.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Hi! My doctor doesn't want me doing any resistance training right away b/c I just had a baby 6 weeks ago. He didn't want to put me back on the meds right away but the weight was starting to effect my BP again and we didn't wanna go there again! I am on a good road and hope to get my weight down again to where it was so all my health issues go away again!! Thanks so much for all input!
    SW: 6/23/10 249.0 LBS
    CW: 6/29/10 238.8 LBS

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

WOW thanks all for the replies!! Very helpful and useful information from everybody. I appreciate the help, guys!! I'm normally a forums lurker instead of a poster, but you all seem to be very friendly and obviously helpful! I might just have to post more often.

Thanks again~