Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default I taste Ammonia...???

Hi all I am new. Just started Phen 30mg 2 weeks ago, have lost 11lbs and am doing fine. I have some of the regular side effects. I am sick to my stomach, I am dizzy off and on and always thirsty, BUT...I have the WIERDEST taste in my mouth! It tastes like Ammonia! Anyone else get this? Online it says it is because I drink and smoke too much...but uh...ya I DON'T smoke and hardly ever drink...? Anyone else get this? Thanks in advance

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I have never heard this one!! Of course I was thirsty and drank water like crazy but I only had a stale taste all the time like I needed flavor so I chewed sugar free gum to help that.
    Teresa

Photos
    View albums

I chew sugarless gum when my mouth tastes yucky. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet and eating enough of you may go into ketosis.

Photos
    View albums

Thanks Someone else said something about Ketosis...what does that mean? I am eating VERY small amounts of food. Food is just gross right now. When I am hungry I will eat though. Bu I would say I am eating like a 10th of what I was eating before. Thanks for any info
    Monica

Married to the man I love for 12 years
    Mama to 3 beautiful girls
    but doing all of this for ME

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenmygirls View Post
    Hi all I am new. Just started Phen 30mg 2 weeks ago, have lost 11lbs and am doing fine. I have some of the regular side effects. I am sick to my stomach, I am dizzy off and on and always thirsty, BUT...I have the WIERDEST taste in my mouth! It tastes like Ammonia! Anyone else get this? Online it says it is because I drink and smoke too much...but uh...ya I DON'T smoke and hardly ever drink...? Anyone else get this? Thanks in advance
    I don't known about ammonia but I do have an AWFUL taste in my mouth! I chew alot of sugarless gum and keep breath mints on me at all times! I hope this will go away in time. It makes me self conscious.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenmygirls View Post
    Keep in mind that this doesn't replace a doctor's or medical professional's advice...this is just my working knowledge and is in no way providing a diagnosis of your condition. That being said, it sounds like

You're putting your body in a catabolic state (i've seen research that ketosis puts the body in a catabolic state and others argue that it doesn't) and that means it's creating energy from amino acids. This is a chemical reaction that takes an amino acid molecule, strips the nitrogen atom from it, and processes what's left into glucose and then energy.

Typically, the nitrogen atom is passed on and converted to urea by the kidneys and later excreted as urine, but in some cases, the chemical reaction may be so overwhelming that the kidneys can't process all of the incoming nitrogen so it is instead converted to ammonia and excreted through your sweat glands.

The breakdown products of the process, are ketones, which accumulate in your blood and eventually spills into your urine.
    so, since the first accumulation is serum, the lungs excrete it. Blood has full contact in the lungs, hence the breath.
    Next its ketones in the urine and has a strong ammonia smell, followed by ammonia like body odour as ketone levels are rising and compensation by lung and kidneys, the body starts using the pores of the skin to rid the ketones in the fastest way possible... by large amount of area... your skin.

Sounds like you are severely restricting your carbs and overtraining....that is just my opinion and it could have possibly driven your body into ketosis.

Many people desire to be in ketosis because that occurs when the body begins to use fat as fuel, all i'm going to say is be careful because the use of ketones for energy induces tremendous metabolic stress. It will work for a short while and cause a dramatic loss of weight but the loss can be temporary, mostly due to its dehydration effect. It can also elicit dangerously low blood sugar levels and places considerable strain on the kidneys. Since the brain requires carbohydrates for fuel, a deficiency can lead to dizziness and disorientation.
    Last edited by sosassafrass; February 28th, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Goals...everybody's gotta have them

Phase I- 199.0 lbs- completed on (3/14/2010)

Phase II- 179.0 lbs
    Phase III-164.0 lbs
    Phase IV (the home stretch)-150 lbs

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by DumplinDoll View Post
    I don't known about ammonia but I do have an AWFUL taste in my mouth! I chew alot of sugarless gum and keep breath mints on me at all times! I hope this will go away in time. It makes me self conscious.
    The awful taste in your mouth....does it taste metallic, like if you put a coin in your mouth? i've also heard of some people tasting acetone when their bodies are in a state of ketosis?

Its interesting though...i've heard a variety of things about what the ketosis breath...or i've heard it called "Atkins breath" smells like. I've heard it has a sweet or really sugary smell (i dunno about that one), i've heard a metallic taste in the mouth or a taste like acetone or ammonia as well. I've also heard it smelling like cat box or plain' ol a**

Phase II- 179.0 lbs
    Phase III-164.0 lbs

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Here are a couple of articles about the risks associated with ketosis and they explain what ketosis is. On the converse, there are articles that talk about the benefits of going into ketosis. I'll let you guys make the choice about what you feel is right for you.

http://women.*****.com/guide/high-pr...ohydrate-diets

http://www.carbs-information.com/ketosis.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Ketosis-an...iet&id=3577237

http://www.weightlosser.com/90/ketos...r-weight-loss/

Phase II- 179.0 lbs
    Phase III-164.0 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Also, ketosis means you are burning fat. With low carb and high exercise you use your fat for energy!

Photos
    View albums

After reading about it, I think that is exactly what happen. I truley was eating SO little. I was so nauseous, I couldn't eat. I am now eating better. I am eating little things throughout the day to keep that sick feeling away. The wierd taste is gone. I haven't lost any more wieght, but I lost so much, so fast, I think it was water weight in the begining, now the actual pounds are starting to catch up. Thanks for all the info everyone! Happy Pound LOOSING!
    Monica

Married to the man I love for 12 years
    Mama to 3 beautiful girls
    but doing all of this for ME