Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default Do you re-gain weight after stopping the Phen?

After having great success with phen-d, I will be going off of it in the next month. Do any of you have any idea if one tends to re-gain some weight without the aid of the phen? I have made the important lifestyle changes of healthy eating and regular exercise (a rediscovered love of running).

Any insight would be helpful as I mentally prepare for a change in my hunger and appetite.
    Happy New Year!
    March 17, 2009 - started phen-d weighing 206
    197 -4/09
    190 -5/09
    182 -6/09
    177 -7/09 (AND turned 47)
    172 -8/09
    163 -9/09
    155 -11/09 Reached Mini Goal early!!!
    Mini Goal: To reach 155 by New Year Day 2010
    Goal: To reach 140 by March 17 - 1 year after starting.
    153 -1/10

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I have heard that some do and some dont. If you have a plan and you wean yourself off of them I think you will be fine.

Running, huh? Its the best! That can be a great help in maintenance if you tend to eat a little more sometimes. There is nothing like that runners 'high' =)
    221 (SW) 4/28/2011

Eat as clean as possible.
    Work it to GOAL!!

Photos
    View albums

I unexpectedly went off of phen on 12/30/09. So I didn't get to 'wean' off of it like I had planned. I've lost 4lbs since. As long as you continue eating like you did while you were on phen, you should be fine. I've been saying all along...I am not on a diet. This is my new forever. You can't expect to be able to go back to your old ways of eating and keep your new weight. You have to make forever changes.
    7/29/09...Started phen for the 1st time! SW 290 - FW 189!
    3/28/12...Starting phen for the last time! SW 242.4lbs
    4/27/12...30 day update...231.8lbs...loss of 10.6lbs to date!
    5/11/12...CW 228lbs...14.4lbs lost.
    5/18/12...CW 225lbs...17.4lbs lost.

Photos
    View albums

i went off back in June and by Dec I had gained back 12 lbs. I was not watching what i ate as close and did eat a lot more sweets. I have lost 18 lbs now(with the help of Phen). I went back to my Dr and asked to be put back on for a mth to get it back off before it turned into gaining 60 lbs. It is true, you do have to watch what you eat. Weight did come off really slow if at all after phen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Photos
    View albums

Between my junior and senior year of high school I went from 190-150. Once I stopped taking phen I ended up gaining all my weight back, PLUS 30. I have lost 15 of that but still have a long ways to go. so yeah be careful if you stop taking it lol.
    December 1st 2008: 220 pounds
    December 1st 2009: 205 pounds
    First Mini Goal: 195 by Valentines Day.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

It depends. Phen supresses your appetite and gives most people more energy. So, once you're off you're not going to have that boost/helper and it's up to you to control some aspects of maintaining weight.

I think maintaining and keeping the weight off is the hardest part. If you've been making good choices with the phen and really utilizing the phen to the full advantage as long as you keep an eye on the weight and maintain your current lifestyle you should be fine. I've lost and gained weight many times (never huge amounts though) and the one thing I think I've never really admitted to myself is that I have a weight problem. Even if I lose weight and am thin I will still have a weight problem. I am not one of those people who will ever be able to just not care and stay thin - that's not me. God bless the people that can eat whatever they want and stay thin but that is just not me.

Photos
    View albums

If you truly changed your lifestyle then I wouldnt worry about it...most people that gain all the weight back is because they stoped what they were doing and went back to old habits so just keep doing all the good thing that you did and you should be fine... good luck!

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. -Unknown Author

Photos
    View albums

I agree with the responses I myself weaned off but also took breaks in between to kind of check in with myself and make sure I could maintain the changes I made. So far so good I stopped taking phen about July or so I had like 4 left so recently I have been splitting them in half and just taking them on the weekend. Weekends are the toughest for me my Doc said he would cut me off when I reached 125 (pretty much at cut off point).

Photos
    View albums

Lightbulb life after phen

I lost about 30 pounds when I started it in 2008. It took me about a year to gain the weight back, but that's only because I discovered Ben & Jerry's Peanut butter cup ice cream and this really cheap chinese restaraunt. I only gained back 15 of the 30 I lost and it took a year.
    i'm tired of being fat!

3/16/09 Starting weight: 200
    3/30/09 mini goal: 190
    4/15/09 mini goal: 185
    5/30/09 mini goal: 175

Photos
    View albums

Having restarted Phen recently, I agree with the previous posters. If you keep the changes going and keep up the exercise, you should do fine. However, I feel like when I'm on Phen, my metabolism is actually faster. In the documentation from the clinic, they say that some people may need to take Phen occasionally long term to keep their appetite in check. Who knows - maybe a better diet drug will get approved by the FDA.

I'm interested to learn more about the HGC shots on another thread - what's the long term result of those shots...do they really reset your metabolism? Just curious as I just found out about a friend who has been doing them since August.
    Bec
    179.5 CW 1/12/10 (re-starting Phen)
    171 2/3/10
    159.5 5/5/10
    150=GW

Photos
    View albums

I stopped taking it last summer and I have gained back about 12 pounds but kept off 22. The majority of my weight was gained back during the holidays, i stopped exercising and ate anything I wanted. Had I not done that then I wouldn't have gained as much back.
    I think that you can absolutely keep it off as long as you don't give up and go back to old habits. and if you do gain back a few pounds, stay optimistic and don't let a few turn into a lot.
    Height: 5'9
    Starting weight 12/13/08: 195
    1/15/09: 184
    goal: 160

6/30/09: 162 went off meds
    1/14/10: 173 i couldn't keep it off
    1/14/10: started didrex
    Goal: 150

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I lost 36 pounds in 3 months. Decided to take a break from the phen for like 3 weeks or a month, just to see what was going to happen. I noticed feeling more hungry but nothing I can't handle. I continued eating what I am supposed to & exercising, and I have not gained anything back so far. I also still have energy, I am assuming it is from the dietary changes I made. I am starting back on the phen now though, as I still have about 20 pounds more I'd like to lose.
    Starting weight 9/24/09 - 195 lbs.
    Weight 10/22/09 - 178
    Weight 12/27/09 - 160
    Long term goal (fantasy I'm sure) - 135

Platinum Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

okay i know i sound like a broken record but maintenance is calories in/calories out. as long as u burn what u eat ur not going to gain weight... the pills don't make u lose weight a calorie deficit does. ur hunger shouldn't even really change much.. the phen is designed as an aid to get u used to eating smaller portions and teach u to stop eating when ur satisfied not getting to the point of uncomfortable full-ness. running is a great way of burning calories and the bright side to that is if u eat a little too much, add a mile to ur run, no harm done! i suggest if ur worried about what ur burning vs what ur eating buy a body bugg and keep a food journal.. i have tweaked my diet to the point that i know i have to eat in the 1000 cal range to lose.. i cannot do 1200 calories and still lose weight, i've tried. and for the first little while ur maintenance may be down 2 lbs, then up 3 lbs, then down 4 lbs... that's how it works for me anyway.. good luck girly, we're here for u!

Photos
    View albums

Red face

Thanks for all of the good advice. I've been phen-d since last March and this will be my last month. I've lost 55 lbs and feel wonderful! I am so fearful of all I've read that says the phen-d speeds metabolism. So between that and an increase in appetite, I worry. I have made major life changes - I run 5 miles 3 - 4 times a week and watch portion size.

last week I ran out of my prescription 2 days before my doctor appointment. By day 2 I was hungry in a way I had not been since starting this journey. It really scared the heck out of me! I so want to maintain all I've accomplished.

You are all so supportive and full of great advice. Thanks for the support!
    March 17, 2009 - started phen-d weighing 206
    197 -4/09
    190 -5/09
    182 -6/09
    177 -7/09 (AND turned 47)
    172 -8/09
    163 -9/09
    155 -11/09 Reached Mini Goal early!!!
    Mini Goal: To reach 155 by New Year Day 2010
    Goal: To reach 140 by March 17 - 1 year after starting.
    153 -1/10

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

The first time I tried Phen was in 2007. I was only on it for two months, but lost 30lbs. Once I stopped taking it, I slowly but surely put it all back on and then some. Last September, I decided to try again. I started Phen Sept. 16, 2009. As of today, Feb. 5, 2010, I've lost 39lbs! I took Phen from Sept to November and continued my new way of eating and slowly lost another few lbs...but I never stopped. So to jumpstart my system again, my dr gave me another months supply, with telling me I cannot take it again for another year. I am very cautious with what I eat as I feel so great with the eating better. I do need to exercise more...that is my goal now. I did a bit but not near enough. He wants me to walk...at least 4 times a week. I will begin that this weekend. I do not take the Phen on the weekends. I still eat right...but do not want to get addicted to it. Good luck on your journey...as this one for me has been a fantastic one!!!
    On the Wings of an Angel...