Close
    Photos
    View albums

Question How long can you take Phen?

I am on my way to my Dr.'s in a few min for my weigh in and to start my 3rd month. Now he hasn't said anything so far but I read that you can only take Phen for 3 months but then I know a lot of people have taking it longer, even a year or more so I don't know what to expect from this visit.

I lost 12 pounds the 1st month and my Dr was very happy with that but I think I am only down about 6 this month, now I am happy with that but I am worried he might say I am not doing good enough. I think I am making myself worry over nothing.

So my questions are~How long have you been on? Do you go to a PCP or WLC? Why do they say on the websites only 3 months and if you have been on over 3 months, what reason did you Dr let you stay on? I am real confussed about this 3 month thing and I know I need more than 3 months.

If my Dr says I can only have it for 3 months, I read people here taking a Phen break, how long does the break have to last? I seen others saying their Dr put them on something different during the breaks, what should I ask my Dr for?

Thank you so much for your help. I am just so worried this may be my last month and I am not ready to stop yet.
    Teresa

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster married2asoldier's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

My mom goes to her family dr and he gave it to her for 6months. The weight loss clinic I'm going to does 2 months and then they re evaluate where you are.
    amber
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFjj2iH/]

Photos
    View albums

I'm a newbie, but I can tell you what my PCP said. He said that I would be on it 3-6 months depending on my progress followed by a 2 month break.

HTH

GL!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Even NEWER Mini Goals:
    Baby's 2nd B-Day 190
    Mother's Day 186
    4th of July!! 175

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My doctor said that the FDA only approves it for use for 3 months and that it hasn't been proven effective for longer use. So I was under the impression he'd allow me to take it for 3 months. NOPE... At my appointment two days ago he told me only 1 more month and that is it. I lost almost 15 lbs according to their scale so it's not like i'm not making good enough progress. So I don't really get it. Maybe he didn't expect me to do that good..and since I'm just "overweight" now and not "obese" by BMI that could be it.

I talked to another friend who works in a doctors office that **'s phen and asked what weight loss they look for and she said 1 lbs per week.
    Kari
    Age 28

Highest weight of 191 lbs on 04/21/09 - 9 months pregnant
    05/18/09 164 lbs
    08/08/09 Phen ST: 153.4 home scale

Goal #1 140lbs by 09/10/09 ( My 29th birthday)Actual weight on 09/10/09 141.8 :-(

goal #2 130 lbs 11/15/09 Made goal on 10/16/09

goal #3 115 lbs 12/31/09 would give me BMI of 22.5 Hit on 114.8 on 1/16/2010

Ultimate goal 110 lbs BMI 21.5 no goal date

Photos
    View albums

Thank you!!

My Dr was thrilled with my 6 pounds, I told him I wanted to lose more for the month and he said he only wanted me to lose 1-2 pounds per week. He kept telling me over and over how good I was doing.

He wrote out my 3rd month and I said to him, see you next month. So he still didn't say anything about how long.

So, it is really saying that the FDA approves it for 3 months? So that is not saying that they can't give it to you longer then, right? I wondering too if my insurance will keep paying for it as well.
    Teresa

Ivy
    Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My PCP said I could be on it for 3 months, 3 month break, on 3 months, 3 month break for as long as I needed it.
    3/18 182 lbs Started Phen
    3/24 175
    3/27 174
    3/28 173
    3/30 171
    4/01 170
    4/07 168
    4/19 166
    4/30 162
    major plateau!!
    6/25 158
    7/04 157 stopped Phen
    8/11 160
    9/02 161
    9/28 159
    10/10 157 started Phen again
    10/22 155

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsace13 View Post
    Thank you!!

My Dr was thrilled with my 6 pounds, I told him I wanted to lose more for the month and he said he only wanted me to lose 1-2 pounds per week. He kept telling me over and over how good I was doing.

He wrote out my 3rd month and I said to him, see you next month. So he still didn't say anything about how long.

So, it is really saying that the FDA approves it for 3 months? So that is not saying that they can't give it to you longer then, right? I wondering too if my insurance will keep paying for it as well.
    Your insurance should keep paying based on medical necessity. In other words if your doctor is giving it to you...then it's felt by them to be medically necessary. And the fact that you have insurance that covers weight loss appointments and Phen is great. Mine doesn't..

As far as FDA and the 3 months...that is what they say and that they don't find it effective after 3 months anymore. The FDA gives out guidelines to follow and doctors choose if they want to follow them. Same as the FDA saying that some procedure a doctor does is considered "investigational or experimental" which means that there hasn't been enough testing done to prove that procedure works for what they are doing it for.. BUT doctors still continue to do them. Does that make sense? In a nut shell your dr. can give it to you as long as they feel necessary.
    Kari
    Age 28

05/18/09 164 lbs

Goal #1 140lbs by 09/10/09 ( My 29th birthday)Actual weight on 09/10/09 141.8 :-(

Photos
    View albums

I took it for 9 months. But, it stops working at some point, and you will start to feel virtually no effect from it. And coming off of it is not fun. I was dead tired for weeks!!! My body had become dependent on the extra energy it gave me. Looking back, I probably should have only taken it long enough to change my eating habits.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead in CA View Post
    I took it for 9 months. But, it stops working at some point, and you will start to feel virtually no effect from it. And coming off of it is not fun. I was dead tired for weeks!!! My body had become dependent on the extra energy it gave me. Looking back, I probably should have only taken it long enough to change my eating habits.
    I think that is the key. I've been on since 8-24-2009 and have lost almost 30 lbs but a lot more to lose. The great thing is the joint pain I was having has went away. Able to excersise. It has been so easy to eat small to this point. It has really changed my viewpoint on how much to eat and how to limit intake like slowly eating an apple prior to a meal. I am thinking of going it alone after 30 days. The long term use scares me. It has really got me the jump start I needed. Well bottom line is I think your correct on not taking too long. Use the tool and carry forward.

Photos
    View albums

Thanks everyone, all this information is very helpful. Of course I dont want to do something that is bad for me but at the same time I need more than three months as long as it is still working.

Of course it isn't working as well as the first month, but I know I am not ready to stop. I really thought 3 months would be enough to change my habits, it should be enough to change my habits, but I guess I need to start working with it and working harder.

Redhead~WOW, 100 pounds!! Was that all with Phen? What are you doing now since you stopped taking it? Where you able to change your habits and do you feel under control now? Your results bring tears to my eyes, I know you have to feel so good and I am so happy for you!!!!
    Teresa

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

You could always see if your dr. will allow you to take it 3 months and then take 1 month off. So that you your body gets a break from it and when you start again it's like the first time all over again.

Getting dependant and it not working may be why the FDA suggests stopping after 3 months.
    Kari
    Age 28

05/18/09 164 lbs

Platinum Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I have been on and off phen for the last 8 months. Your body does gets use to it and not taking it after and extending period of time does cause your body to feel overwhelmedly tired. I am currently on a break from phen. I still have a prescription refill after this refill, however, I am going to stop taking it after this next script. The phen is good to help get you going but I agree that it should only be taking long enough to help jump start things. Good luck.

Photos
    View albums

Default Not getting any effect from it so far

I have been taking it but I don't see my appetite lessening.
    How long does it take to curb your appetite?

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I KNOW - Redhead in CA right? ! She does look awsome! Congrats! 'Mommy of 4' in response to how long...my doctor was very strict with me in monitoring my usage, but he told me I could be a lifer on phentermine!
    his staff however, the Nurses....they do not wholey agree with the doctor. Some of them have used the drug themselves and some of them would never have to. I believe there are people that feel that the 3 - 9 months timeframes are sufficient. I have gone on and off of the drug and it does not seem to make much of a difference so maybe it has stopped working as I have been reading here.

But I do know for certain that you must exercise while taking it. At least for me, it seemed to not be working much if I did not include the movement with taking it.

Good luck to you and Bless You So Much for having 4 children. I am completely jealous. :O)
    Kindest Regards,
    Cyndi -

Photos
    View albums

Thanks for your input.
    You are right I do need to get back to exercising. No doubt about it. I have just gotten in such a rut and when I go to the gym I just can't get motivated.
    I just wish I would at least feel that my appetite is being curb maybe then I'd feel like I have something on my side helping me out. You know?
    I have two girls, 22 and 19, soon to be 20. Two boys that are 16. And you would had thought I gained all this weight being pregnant with them but that isn't the fact at all.
    I started gaining all this weight when I left my husband 4 years ago.
    Got married at 16 (Yeah I know!!) had 4 kids stayed in the marriage for the kids and was unhappy for 18 years and then I decided that I wasn't doing me any good and for me to have given up on my having a happy life wasn't fair or healthy for the kids or me.
    So I am happy but I have been with a guy that is overweight himself and I have taken up on his bad eating habit. BAD! We eat out alot. I know BAD!
    I guess I started gaining because I found someone who actaully loved me for who I am.
    I want to lose this weight!
    Does everyone else take it before breakfast or 2 hours after breakfast?
    I have tried both but still don't feel less hungry.
    Any ideas?

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Mommy-What dosage are you on??

I'm on the 37.5mg and I take it 1 hour before I'm supposed to eat breakfast. But often I find myself not eating at all. Right now it's almost 2pm my time and I haven't eaten a thing because I'm not hungry.

If you are on a lower dose (30 or 15mg) maybe you can ask your dr. to give you a stronger dose. OR try cutting the pill in half, taking 1/2 an hour before breakfast and the other half no later than 2 pm ( so you aren't awake all night ) and see if that helps.

I Had appetite supression the first day. I've been on it for 5 weeks now

Mommy how tall are you? I see your goal weight is pretty low, lower than mine and I'm 5ft tall. But I also think that at 102 lbs (my lowest weight ever) That I looked too skinny.

Good luck to you.
    Kari
    Age 28

05/18/09 164 lbs

Photos
    View albums

Thank you for the kind words! Yes, I took Phen through the whole 100 pounds, not every single day, but most days.

When I hit the 100 pound mark, I decided to give myself a little break and let my body re-adjust. I've maintained my weight through the last month, and now I am at it hardcore again. At least an hour a day of cardio and I have been taking a 3 hour kick boxing class once a week at the local college. I am trying to tone, tone, tone!!!

I am a completely different person than I was 10 months ago. What a journey! I would still like to lose another 40-60 pounds...but at least I can buy clothes in regular stores now, and what a thrill that is!

Keep at it, everybody! The benefits are endless. =)