Close
    Bronze Phenster determined110408's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Question Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) & Adipex

does anyone here have PCOS and take adipex? i was wondering b/c iam not losing weight as fast as many of you are and i was thinking it was probably b/c i have PCOS so it slows down my weight loss each week.

any help would really be appreciated

thank you!!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I do have PCOS. I am losing at a rate of about 2-3 lbs a week. That is about average. What dosage of adipex are you taking? Do you take anything for the PCOS? What are your caloires? What exercise do you do? What is your height? Body type? Need more info to better understand.

I take metformin as well as the phen. The metformin helps with the hormonal issues of PCOS. For instance after being on met for 3 months my testerone levels went down 40%. Testerone can cause you to have weight issues as a female and excess hair growth. I really didn't have hair growing in strange places and actually didn't think I had any hair issues until I started the metformin and now I only have to shave my legs twice a week instead of daily......

Also, you don't have nearly as much weight to lose as a lot of people, so between that and having PCOS it will come off slower.
    Crystal

06/29/2009 - Starting weight 209
    Week 15 - Down 3 lbs (Total loss to date 46lbs)
    Have lost 7 inches off my waist!
    1st Goal - 180's (Met 08/11/2009)
    2nd Goal - 170's (Met 08/27/2009)
    3rd Goal - 160's (Met 10/07/2009)
    4th Goal - 150's (Met 11/07/2009)
    5th Goal - 140's
    Goal Weight - 140 (12/31/2009)

Pic taken at Halloween time....my avatar is me about a year ago at my heaviest around 210.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by cjbigford View Post
    I do have PCOS. I am losing at a rate of about 2-3 lbs a week. That is about average. What dosage of adipex are you taking? Do you take anything for the PCOS? What are your caloires? What exercise do you do? What is your height? Body type? Need more info to better understand.

I take metformin as well as the phen. The metformin helps with the hormonal issues of PCOS. For instance after being on met for 3 months my testerone levels went down 40%. Testerone can cause you to have weight issues as a female and excess hair growth. I really didn't have hair growing in strange places and actually didn't think I had any hair issues until I started the metformin and now I only have to shave my legs twice a week instead of daily......

Also, you don't have nearly as much weight to lose as a lot of people, so between that and having PCOS it will come off slower.
    iam losing about 2Ibs a week or sometimes 3, the first week i was on Adipex i lost 4 pounds. I take metformin for the PCOS. My calories a day is probably 1,200 or sometimes less b/c i wont get hungry at times.Now the exercises i do i go to the gym about 4 times a week ill go on the elyptical for 10 mins, i go on the treadmill for 30-35 min and ill speed walk/ jog and i also incline.. after im done with the treadmill i do some weights for my thighs, and my arms for about 20-25 mins... im 5'4 and i currently weigh 174 ...

i never had a problem with the excess hair growth but i've had problems with some other effects of PCOS.

Photos
    View albums

Well I have to say it sounds like you are doing everything right and the 2lbs a week is the healthy way to lose. Those who tend to lose more than that on a regular basis are more likely to gain it back than those who stick to the 2 lbs a week.. Generally most people lose more than 2lbs the first week or two but it should even out to the 2-3 lbs after that. I know the frustration that you have with seeing others on here losing more than that, but you should be really proud of yourself for being able to overcome a condition that makes it difficult to lose weight. You are doing great. Don't get discouraged and continue with your process. Good Luck!
    Crystal

06/29/2009 - Starting weight 209
    Week 15 - Down 3 lbs (Total loss to date 46lbs)
    Have lost 7 inches off my waist!
    1st Goal - 180's (Met 08/11/2009)
    2nd Goal - 170's (Met 08/27/2009)
    3rd Goal - 160's (Met 10/07/2009)
    4th Goal - 150's (Met 11/07/2009)
    5th Goal - 140's
    Goal Weight - 140 (12/31/2009)

Pic taken at Halloween time....my avatar is me about a year ago at my heaviest around 210.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by cjbigford View Post
    Well I have to say it sounds like you are doing everything right and the 2lbs a week is the healthy way to lose. Those who tend to lose more than that on a regular basis are more likely to gain it back than those who stick to the 2 lbs a week.. Generally most people lose more than 2lbs the first week or two but it should even out to the 2-3 lbs after that. I know the frustration that you have with seeing others on here losing more than that, but you should be really proud of yourself for being able to overcome a condition that makes it difficult to lose weight. You are doing great. Don't get discouraged and continue with your process. Good Luck!

thank you !! it is very difficult trying to lose weight w/ PCOS the first time i tired losing weight just dieting and exercise i didnt lose anything ! but that was before i found out i have PCOS.. but thanks your really did help me out
    and your doing great on your weight loss !!

Photos
    View albums

I agree with dont get discouraged I average about 2lbs a week as well (well was till I plateu'd). However there were weeks I lost 4 lbs followed by a 1lb loss. I don't have isues with excess hair either however my regular doctor knows I am on phen and has suggested I go on metformin to help maintain that will help out insulin levels. I believe the insulin restitance that occurs because our testerone levels can be elevated at times is what contributes to the weight gain and slower losses. At least from what I have read.