Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default Thyroid medication

I went back to the dr today for my 4 week appointment. I lost 1 pound! Needless to say I was disappointed. After telling her I had done the same thing I'd done the previous month (probably even fewer calories), she switched my phen to a time-release formula and put me on a thyroid pill. She said that as a result of the reduced calories my metabolism was lowering and told me this would correct that. Has anyone else had their dr do this?

5'9"
    6/11/2009-started phen- 176lbs
    10/11/2009-weight- 164lbs
    01/25/2010-weight- 158lbs

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

First off old timers use to do this all the time. I for one WOULD NOT take a medication for a condition I don't have. Have blood work done and ask for Free T3, Free T4. TSH to be done. Then if I came back boarderline then maybe I would but not before I had my levels done. I'm betting this doctor either put you on Levoxyl or Synthroid. What dose 25 mcg's?

You have 18 lbs to lose. Look over your diet and exercise program to see where you can change things around. You also didn't say how old you were. Age can also have an impact on weight lost. This doctor is also pushing the line. You don't even have a BMI of 30 which is what the guide lines are for dispensing this drug to begin with. Do you have a secondary health issue?

This is by no way directed at you but the moron that calls themself a Doctor. Please use your head.

Sorry if I sound so abrupt but for a doctor to put someone on meds for a condition that they may or may not have to me is irresponsible. Not to mention is this a drug you will remain on for life? Because if you have thyroid you take meds for life. What happens when you stop taking thyroid meds once you reach goal? If you think you are not losing weight now I can tell you about how fast you will gain weight once your off of thyroid meds. It's been 6 yrs for me and I'm still not stable. Not a fun ride. I gained 60 lbs due to med for thyroid. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Best of luck to you.

Photos
    View albums

Before starting phen, she did blood work that included my T4 levels and TSH. That was 6 weeks ago. At that point, my tsh was 1.78 and my T4 was 10.5. My T3 was not measured at all. I have no comorbidities and I am in my thirties. The drug prescribed is THYROID 60 MG, a generic of Armour Thyroid. Thank you for your response.

5'9"

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hun, Your TSH is normal 1.78 lab range 0.30-3.00 (most labs still use the old ranges .40-4.00 or even 5.00) and you did not give me ranges for your Free T4 which is usually 0.8-1.8 The the range that you gave me sounds like Total T4 10.5 which is also in range. 4.5-12.5. In order to take a T3/T4 med T3 needs to be drawn. If what you are taking is 60 mgs of Thyroid which would be consider 1 grain in Armour she started you out too high on a med you don't need. Do you really want to do this? Now all this changes is you have had considerable amount of symptoms.

I take 2 grains of Armour and 50 mcgs of levoxyl. I still gained weight. It was only when they adjusted my metformin and we lowered my Levoxyl that I am losing.
    Last edited by Jasp; July 31st, 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Photos
    View albums

I would not take a medication when it is not needed!!! Im on 135 mg of Armour Thyroid and have been for a year.. I can personally tell you that I have not lost a pound on that medication alone.. But I think that when your levels are normal and your taking these meds, from my understanding, you can develope hyperthyroidism which makes you loose weight versus hypothyroidism which makes you gain weight.. But it is not good for you to be giving your body more of the hormone that it needs to balance out you thyroid. Do what you want, but I would not take a medication I didnt need.. I think that I would try a different diet pill..
    Last edited by *attagirl*; July 31st, 2009 at 07:47 AM.

Photos
    View albums

Wow you are all scared and freaked out now aren't you! Well, I was too last year when my back alley "fat doctor" prescribed Armour to me to help with my weight loss. Yes he tested me and I was told that I was within range but on the low side. However, with my husband being a nursing student and having a wide selecting of study material I decided to do my own research on the matter. I was convinced that doctor didn’t know what he was talking about and I didn’t take the thyroid med. I lost a total of 20 lbs. last year in 2 months but nothing more. So after being on phen for 4 months I quit, I have since regain gained 20lbs plus about 20 more.

So when I made the choice this year to find out what was wrong with me and why I couldn’t lose weight with diet and exercise alone, I decided to go to a different weight loss center. Alone with weight loss they deal with bio-identical hormone treatment. I learned that not only do I have hypothyroidism but after the birth of my daughter 3 years ago my progesterone levels were almost non-existing, another reason I was holding on to the weight. There were things other than the weight issue that made me choose this route but after just a few days of being on the hormone treatment I was alive again. I was on the thyroid and bio-identical hormones for 1 month before starting phen this time and I am very very glad I did it this way.

A few facts about this time: 1. the doctor was easy to talk to and didn’t make me feel like just a cow that was being prodded through to the other side. 2. I asked for my test results on EVERYTHING! That was a must for me and should be for everyone. If for some reason you want to seek other advice you have that as a reference. 3. I studied the complete Endocrine System and how it functions and works together. When it works it is an amazing body system but when it is off it affect numerous body functions and abilities.

I don’t know your whole story so I am not sure if you are getting your meds from a GP or a weight loss clinic. If not your GP maybe you should talk to yours if you have one…they would know what would be for you medically. Ask your GP to test your thyroid, this is not a over common issue at our tender ages (I am 33 as well) but it does happen. These are all thing you should look into before start take a prescription that you can’t just stop taking and one that yes you would have to take for the rest of your life.
    7/16/09 SW210
    7/23/09 201
    7/29/09 200
    8/3/09 196 I wasn't going to weigh til my week was up but look I'm under 200!!!!
    8/6/09 CW195

Victory over self!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I wrote a post about what happen to me when a doctor adjusted my meds too high and I have Hypothyroidism. I think before you do this I would read what happen to me from going hyper. It could have killed me.

Edit because I didn't see your post.

I will wait for her to confirm but I believe she is going to a weight lost clinic. There is a difference between being given meds after being properly tested and being given a drug to help lost weight which is off label use.

Your labs could of with more testing proved back then that you had hypothyroidism Sub Clinical. This was the case for me. A damaged Hypothalamus. But her labs are not suggesting this. Not to mention she is being given a T3/T4 med without ever having a T3 level. The standard thyroid panel does not tell the whole story. That is why doctors that understand how to treat thyroid will disregard TSH and test antibodies and Free Levels along with FSH/LH If anything her labs suggest that she is OK in fact her T4 is near the top so by no means is this the same as you with a low normal.

It is also not uncommon for you to develop hypo after having a baby. If I were you back then I would have had more testing done. Low normal will always raises a flag if symptoms exist. Further testing would have been suggested.

Freaked out yes. Concerned yes. I know first hand what a doctor that claims to know what they are doing can do to someone that follows them blindly. I always questioned but did not have the knowledge that I have now. I lived over 20 yrs with symptoms of hypo and it was ignored. It wasn't until I couldn't even walk and had marked weakness and hypo reflexes that a doctor decided to dig a bit further just not far enough. He left practice and I got dump on dumb and dumber who almost killed me. It took the 4th doctor a friend for us to figure out just what was going on. I guess I'm blessed that someone devoted a lot of time along with my extensive research that I'm doing well today.
    Last edited by Jasp; July 31st, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Photos
    View albums

The main point I was trying to make is for her not to follow a clinic mad man blindly but to educate herself as well as follow up with her doctor. I know you made a point to tell your story and it is scary to know that there are under-educated doctors out there that do this to people. Like I said though the guy I went to was a back alley doctor trying to make some quick money off of desperate people. I didn’t and still don’t have a GP however I do trust the doctor I am now seeing plus my own education on the matter.
    I am sorry that you have had to endure the trials that have come your way and your story will help people and I wish I would have known it a year ago. We has women and individuals have a duty to ourselves to educate ourselves and that is what I am encouraging her to do. I am not a licensed doctor but there are good ones out there.
    7/16/09 SW210
    7/23/09 201
    7/29/09 200
    8/3/09 196 I wasn't going to weigh til my week was up but look I'm under 200!!!!
    8/6/09 CW195

Victory over self!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

And a fantastic job you did. Please forgive my tirade. It really upsets me to see some Doctors take advange of their patients.

Photos
    View albums

Thank you all for your input. I will follow up with my gp to have my free t3 & t4 levels checked because I think there's a possibility I do have a thyroid condition. I do have a very low basal body temperature averaging 97.2 degrees upon wakening. I also have struggled with my weight since childhood, but fortunately had managed to maintain a high normal weight for many years. However, in the last year or so-especially the last 6 months I have really struggled with my weight rapidly increasing. That is the reason I went to a bariatric doctor. I knew my gp wouldn't give me something to help, despite my trying to lose the weight on my own for six months. I didn't want to get back up to 225lbs before a doctor would help me. Since getting on phen, I have struggled with every pound I have lost. I have decreased my calories from 2200 down to around 1500 over the last couple of weeks. I exercise every day and have only managed to lose 1 pound in a month! The dr looked at my blood work prior to saying I should take this, so I really am not sure what she was basing this on after reading your posts. The numbers I mention came directly from a copy of the blood work results she has. Again, I do appreciate your input and advise. You have been wonderful to share your experiences with me.

5'9"

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Here you can begin to gather your research and information.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....tag=ab-thyroid

http://www.thyroidmanager.org/

http://www.drlowe.com/QandA/askdrlowe/thymetab.htm

http://www.power-surge.com/transcripts/blanchard.htm

If you truly believe that you have a thyroid problem arm yourself with knowledge that you will need to go up against a Dr. Many are taught that if you fit nicely between the lines then you are fine. Many go years like myself without treatment until something serious comes into play.

You will need first thing in the morning fasting.

Free T3 level.......Not a total T3 or a T3 uptake Make sure it is a Free T3 or you wasted your time
    Free T4 level.....again not a T4 total
    TSH just to use as a guideline
    AM cortisol to see if your adrenals can handle the Armour
    FSH/LH
    Ferritin level
    B12
    Vitamin D
    Thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOAb); Thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) (if you have this all bets are off and you should be on meds.
    A1C

This list should give you a good idea as to what is going on. Keep all copies of labs and print out a copy of a list of symptoms and bring it with you.

Above all else. If you don't like the doctor and they are unwilling to work WITH you then find another doctor.

If I can help you more let me know. You can PM me with any questions that you may have and I will be more then glad to answer them if I can if I can't then I will know where you can find the answer.