Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default Need help with 5-HTP

OK I know several of you take 5-HTP. I picked up some from GNC, 200 mg timed release. I started taking it and really felt it helped my moods tremendously. The problem though is that it makes me sleepy about 6 hours in. I can't be sleepy during the day, so I can work. I can't cut in half because its timed release. So I stopped it yesterday and today and now I'm feeling the slight depression back. I refuse to take any antidepressant because have in past and it makes me gain weight, and i didn't like how I felt, sort of disconnected. So tonight i plan to take it around 8pm and see if that helps.
    If anyone has any experiences with 5-HTP please tell me, I know it works. How do you take it?
    Last edited by swtss8; July 12th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
    SW 246 August 7 2012

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I take mine at night on an empty stomach before I go to bed.

Photos
    View albums

When I first started taking it I used to always take it at night, now I just take it in the morning with my other supplements. I think you will find the same results at least I did. Good Luck hope it still helps.
    Before

After

Photos
    View albums

Thanks to you both for you input. I took it at bed last night, and it did help me fall asleep better.
    Sandie
    SW 246 August 7 2012

Photos
    View albums

I just started taking it Saturday night, and I have to say I was knocked out, and I only took 50mg Saturday night. I took 150 mg yesterday through out the day. I have slept better the last two nights, than I have in almost the two months I have been taking phentermine. I have also noticed a slight difference on my moodiness :

I am also debating whether to take it at night or in the morning. The bottle says you can take up to 4/ 50mg pills a day. Is it ok to take all 200mg at once though? The bottle also says to take it with food, and I don't want to be eating anything at night? Has anyone else taken it on an empty stomach?
    SW 178.6 5/20/09
    CW 159.4 8/5/09

Photos
    View albums

Hey everyone. Good to know ya'll are doing okey!!..Ok..But I have a question?...What is with the 5-HTP @ GNC?...What is it?...

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hi
    I've been taking it for the past 2 weeks they were given to me by the same doc that gave me the phentermine she told me to take it after 5 pm. HTH

Photos
    View albums

[QUOTE=brendy1816;950020]Hey everyone. Good to know ya'll are doing okey!!..Ok..But I have a question?...What is with the 5-HTP @ GNC?...What is it?...[/QU

I'm sorry i should have explained what it was Brendy. Here is what is on the bottle, and mine is timed release, some are not. This is all GNC had. Mine is 200mg timed released 5-HTP. Promotes positive mood. Helps control appetite and promote normal sleep. 5-HTP is a drug-free plant-derived source of an amino acid that naturally increases the body’s level of serotonin, the chemical messenger that affects emotions, behavior, appetite, thought and sleep. Regular use of Natrol 5-HTP helps provide a more positive outlook, promotes relaxation, calm and greater appetite control.

I have also read that it curbs the sugar cravings.
    Sandie
    SW 246 August 7 2012

Photos
    View albums

I need to try that it sound good.

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. -Unknown Author

Photos
    View albums

me too because my outlook lately has been s u c k y. I will natrol brand for one of my other supplements and tried another brand and didn't like it so I think I do like that brand.
    238.5 starting weight 27 April 09
    235.5 starting weight (-3) 11 May09 started Phen
    226 - 18 May 9 (-9.5)
    226 - 25 May (-0, stupid TOM)
    221 - 1 Jun 09 (-5lbs)
    219 - 8 Jun 09 (-2 lbs)
    218 - 15 Jun 09 (-1 lb) no phen
    214 - 22 June 09 (-4)
    211 - 29 Jun 09 (-3)
    209.5 - 4 Jul 09 (-1.5 TOM!!)
    208 - 11 Jul 09 (-1 jeez, not even TOM. dunno but its a loss!)
    205 - 18 Jul 09 (-3, phen every other day)
    203 - 25 Jul 09 (-2, phen every other day)

Photos
    View albums

Well Ive been taking my 5-HTP at bedtime, and it is working much better for me. I'm not sleepy during the day as before, My mood is great and upbeat. I'm glad I have the 200 mg timed release although the reg cost at GNC is a little more than I want to pay. It was 24.99 for 30, but I happen to find one half price because it expired in Oct. I know I have seen Natrol brand online at Puritan Pride and others, so I'm going to be shopping for my next supply. It works and is well worth it.
    SW 246 August 7 2012

Photos
    View albums

i ended up getting the natrol brand today. it was 13.00 for 45 pills at 50 mg each. we'll see. i hope its helps my patience and moods. iv'e not been havning any trouble sleeping. hope its working for you.
    238.5 starting weight 27 April 09
    235.5 starting weight (-3) 11 May09 started Phen
    226 - 18 May 9 (-9.5)
    226 - 25 May (-0, stupid TOM)
    221 - 1 Jun 09 (-5lbs)
    219 - 8 Jun 09 (-2 lbs)
    218 - 15 Jun 09 (-1 lb) no phen
    214 - 22 June 09 (-4)
    211 - 29 Jun 09 (-3)
    209.5 - 4 Jul 09 (-1.5 TOM!!)
    208 - 11 Jul 09 (-1 jeez, not even TOM. dunno but its a loss!)
    205 - 18 Jul 09 (-3, phen every other day)
    203 - 25 Jul 09 (-2, phen every other day)

Photos
    View albums

Do they only sell it at GNC.?? I want to buy it and try it out. I need help with my mood swings and cravings. What strength should I take. What do ya'll recommend?

Silver Phenster TakingTheChallenge's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by brendy1816 View Post
    Do they only sell it at GNC.?? I want to buy it and try it out. I need help with my mood swings and cravings. What strength should I take. What do ya'll recommend?
    I would recommend taking 50mg and see how it affects you ... If you take too much, your stomach will get upset.

Take it slow and see how it goes and up it if you want.
    Back on Phentermine after a slide and gain.

Current weight: 239.6 (May 21, 2011)

242.5 (May 2, 2011)
    247.4 (April 23, 2011)

Goal: 180 lbs.

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by brendy1816 View Post
    Yes i got mine at GNC. It is 200mg timed release and I take it at bed because it promotes good sleep. But its 24.99 for 30 caps, I happen to find one half off. I have found it online for half that, same brand, Natrol. I plan to get a lower dose though, because i don't think i need 200mg. This is just all GNC had. I'll probably get 50mg.
    SW 246 August 7 2012

Photos
    View albums

I started out at 50 mg for one week, then I bumped up to 100 mg. You can buy it at any drugstore or healthfood store like Whole Foods or Wild Oats.

Photos
    View albums

I was asking about this last week and I got mine on monday, so I started it monday night.

I go to bed late, just how i am So I took mine at 10 pm, went to bed at 12 (early for me) I found tuesday I was really really tired about 2 or 3 pm, to the point I didn't think I could stay awake. I was at work, so napped when I got home.

Today, wednesday, tired, but not as tired about the same time. I do however notice the past two nights I haven't even wanted to eat dinner. (I did eat but I don't feel hungry at all, makes it easy to eat a small amount)

So I took it every night including today at 10 pm. I think I might try earlier tomorrow. Depends on how tired I get, but we'll see. So far I like it.
    I do not condone the use of any online websites to purchase Phentermine without a prescription. As far as I know this is illegal. I obtain mine only through my doctor.

Started Phen: ~320 Nov 2008
    Current Weight: 235