Close
    Photos
    View albums

Unhappy 2 weeks in & painful sores on tongue

Hi all - I'm a phen newbie...

Here's what has happened so far.... I started Phentermine 37.5 about one and a half weeks ago. I was excited to try it out after hearing about it for ages. My ultimate goal is to lose 40lbs.

My only major side effect at first was severe dry mouth. Otherwise I seemed fine.

Suddenly about 3 days ago, I started getting painful, small white blisters/sores on my tongue that wouldn't go away. Some disappeared, only to be replaced by 3-4 more. Ouch.

I went to my Periodontist today & he examined them. He said they could be viral or bacterial. I tend to lean toward viral, as my husband has also contacted them through me & now has two sores of his own...

He took a biopsy of them & is sending it into a lab. I hope to know by Friday what it is & how to treat it. Meanwhile, I am sitting here with a purple tongue that has several stitches in it due to the biopsy. Double ouch!

I've read several posts on here where mouth sores have been an issue. I can't help but wonder if there is a connection

Anyone?

I've read a few posts here & there in these forums & others that mention this....

Meanwhile, I am stopping my Phen to see if it helps. I would rather be safe than sorry!

I'll keep you updated.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

OOh that is weird/odd, I have no idea though. Maybe someone here will know, is it a side effect from phen?? Please keep us posted. Hugs and prayers!!
    Blessings, Linna

SW:165 March 1st, '09/GW:130 June '09!

Photos
    View albums

I haven't heard of anything like that, or experienced it... and the fact that your hubby now has them... how soon should you be hearing back from the doctor?
    SW 237
    Mini Goal #1: 210 on 4/17/09 - Met on 4/20
    Mini Goal #2: 198 on 5/1/09 - Met on 5/10
    Mini Goal #3: 189 on 6/1/09 - Met on 5/30
    Mini Goal #4: 179 on 7/1/09 - Met on 7/5

SW #2: 195 lbs - 12/28/09
    Mini Goal #1: 185 on 1/18/10
    Mini Goal #2: 175 on 2/18/10
    Mini Goal #3: 165 on 3/18/10
    GW 165

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Photos
    View albums

I have experienced this. However I have never passed them on to my fiance or anyone else. It always happens to me when I first start taking phen after a break. I think its from playing with my tongue or rolling my tongue. I have never used any illegal substances but phen is similar to an amphetamine which is related to methamphetamine's and I have read about people who chew/roll/**** on their tongue while using meth and other stimulants. So I tend to think this is a side effect of Phen. Mine always eases up and goes away in about a week. I try to chew on gum when this happens.

However I'm not so sure this is 100% your issue since your husband has them now....
    ~Stephanie

CW 138

Mini Goals
    134- July 7
    130 - July 21
    126- August 4
    122- August 18

Photos
    View albums

I am also new here but have been on phentermine for about 5 weeks. Maybe the sores could have something to do with the fact that phentermine causes dry mouth which means less saliva is produced. Saliva helps prevent bacteria and such from "takin" over just an idea hope it helps and the sores go away. I had them too and they went away. I would make sure you drink lots of water maybe that might help

Photos
    View albums

I've been on phen for 2 months; I got one of those horrible sores on my tongue a month ago. It swelled up to the size of a grain of rice! I had a hard time talking. I looked online and found out that apple cider vinegar might help. So, I put that on, it burned like h e l l, then the next day it was totally deflated! However, I have been putting it on every day since, and it has not gone away! It's still there and still hurts, it's just smaller. My hubby didn't get it, but I don't kiss him with my tongue (married too long! LOL).

The sore itself is flat now, but it seems like the flesh beneath it is still swollen. Sometimes the pain wakes me up at night. I also read online that L-lysine might help. ($10 at Walgreens for "might"). Haven't tried that yet.

I can't wait to hear your update; please include what the dr. tells or gives you to make them go away! And, HURRY!
    2/17/09 - 217
    3/3/09 - 208
    3/12/09 - 203 (So close to the ones!)
    3/19/09 - 202 Dr. says doing great.
    3/31/09 - 199 Whew! finally!
    4/10/09 - 195
    4/15/09 - 196 - WHAT??? Boo hoo
    4/24/09 - 194 This is so slow now!
    4/29/09 - 191 - Maybe just cuz I finally poo'ed
    5/13/09 - 189
    5/30/09 - 185 - YES! I'm getting there!
    6/9/09 - 183
    7/8/09 - 179 - Less than Hubby now
    10/05/09 - 189 - WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME?????

Stopped taking phen: 9/15/09

2/2/10 - 208 I'm fat again!

Photos
    View albums

Cool Thanks for responding :)

ldbb8 - I can't imagine having these sores for weeks They hurt too much. Right now I am just trying to feel better from the biposy because the stitches are there & they are pulled tight. I wish they would dissolve already.

My husband's two sores are now gone, so that's a relief. And hey, I'm newly married, so tongues are a must. LOL

The dentist said I should hear back either this Friday (tomorrow) or Monday. So I am anxiously awaiting the news. I'll be posting once I hear!

Photos
    View albums

I finally got the results at long last...

Ok - the dentist said my biopsy results showed that I had something called Pyogenic granuloma. It's basically from trauma to the tongue. Although for the life of me I cannot figure out what I did to it...

Here is more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyogenic_granuloma

The odd thing is that he said he often sees this in hormonal patients, usually pregnant ones. Now, that is NOT the case for me (childfree by choice thank you) - so it's very odd that I had it. It also usually presents itself on the gums and rarely on the tongue, so he was perplexed.

It's gone now & I hope it doesn't come back. He said if it does to call him.

Meanwhile I am gradually getting back onto Phentermine. I am taking a half of a 37.5 pill a day for a week & then going on full again. I hope I continue to stay ouchie free!

I am still wondering because there were several posts on here & other forums about this happening to people. Maybe the dry mouth issue is part of it, I am not sure. If it comes back, I'll pop in & let everyone know.

Thanks for reading guys