Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default Workout program and diet

So, today I got a call from my old Company Commander. He is still the commander of the medical training company I trained at, and chances are if I get activated, they want me to help train soldiers in respiratory therapy. Well, like everything in the Army, there is another job he wants me to do. He wants me to take charge of the "special pops - special population is for people that can't meet Army standards in the run, push ups, and situps, and weight/BMI." When I was in this program, I started out running my 2 mile run in 16 min 80 seconds, pushups 35 in 2 minutes (full army to standard pushups, if your arms don't become paralell to the floor, not a complete pushup, and not counted) and 48 situps in 2 min. Well, I was able to bring all of them up to a 2 mile run in 13 min and 3 seconds, 85 pushups in 2 min and close to 90 situps in 2 min. So, being that I was the most improved he had seen in a long time (starting at below army standards and exceeding the standards and then some) he wanted me to run it. So, now I am working extra hard on my diet and workout program to get ready for it. I will be posting diet ideas, workout ideas and random facts for everyone on this thread for everyone and for myself (record).

To start: I have been fighting the war on fatloss for a while now. I always caught myself trying to find the newest thing that would help with weight loss. ie. medication, diet, food, vitamin. I've heard it all; try lemon juice because it burns more calories, all soup diet, very low carb or calorie diet, hot sauce, blah blah blah. Well, I am a genetic endomorph, my whole family is. I finally had to just realize that adding hot sauce or drinking lemon juice will NOT make me loose weight. Those workout pills and fat burners at the store won't either. Not everyone knows that energy/fat burners only speed the metabolism by 1% if you are lucky. Ephedra only increases metabolism by 3-5% So if your metabolism is working for you at burning 1800 calories a day with excersize (which for most people gaining weight, their metabolism has slowed down to this point or less) those pills will only increase that to 1818 per day, ~1890 with ephedra, and you are consuming 2000 cals a day (which for most is small), you will still be gaining weight. Most anything at GNC or other health food stores that help increase metabolism wont really help you. They are meant for people that are in shape, 10-12% bodyfat, and having a hard time getting down to competition level bodyfat in time for a show (fitness/bodybuilders). For them, they are most likely really working to keep their bodies the way they are, and do need the extra push (as small as it is) to burn a few more lbs of fat, while keeping muscle. Their bodies are so used to eating right, and working out, it begins to stay the same regardless of their healthy life style. Loosing wieght is all about calories in vs calories out. It doesn't matter who the person is, what medical problems they are having, NOTHING will ever change that formula (if calories used is > calories consumed, calories are burned) That is where working out to keep muscle comes into play. The way I see it, 1 workout session allows me to have a soda (can) or some extra food if I do not want to loose weight. If I don't take the "freebie" I will most likely burn some weight. If this happens all the time, I will eventually see results.

Workouts I prefer:
    Army style workout: running, jumping jacks, pushups, pullups, situps, leg raises, basically any body type workout. No weight/equiptment needed.
    P90X: very little equiptment needed, very intense training, very close to what I went through in bootcamp.
    Interval running/sprinting: The best way to burn calories, makes jogging at a low intensity speed for 45 min-1 hour seem like sleeping, yet only takes 15-20 min to finish. Keeps your body burning calories even after workout is through.

I am currently going through stage 1 of P90X again. I intend to get of phen when I finish my second week of phase 2. And by phase 3, I will most likely be back active duty. I suggest this system for anyone. If you are skeptical, I put you to the test. Lets compare progress pictures of anyone going to a gym (with pro help or not) or following any other workout program to my program).

Diet: if its canned, processed, dehydrated, most likely I won't eat it. Whole wheat everything, veggies and fruits galore, meats, chicken, and fish, the occassional beef jerky or iced tea, water, water, water.

If you are eating a low carb diet, here is some information that is good to know:
    1. You can consume as much as 80g of carbs, sometimes more, and stll be in ketosis (this is the process your body is kicked into when it starts to use fat stores for energy).
    2. Believe it or not, you can eat as much as a mexican plate dinner 30-45 min following a very intense workout while on a low carb diet, and your body will use the carbs for enrgy and protein to rebuild muscle, and you will still be in ketosis.
    3. It is almost MANDATORY for someone following a low carb diet to have a cheat meal at least every 2 weeks or even once a week, so they hit less plataues. This is called carbing up.

That is all I can think of atm from the top of my head. I will keep posting every now and then as I continue my journey from fat to fit. If anyone has a question about a certain diet or supplement, put it here, I will answer it to the best of my knowledge.

-Ivan
    Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also. - Marcus Aurelius

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Wow!! That's a lot of information. It sounds like you have a plan and the motivation to follow through!!! Good luck!! (I think my grandson has the military push ups down to an art, huh?? LOL

Photos
    View albums

Wow.. thanx Ivan. lotta good info there.. damn, so a pill isnt gonna get you skinny huh? that sux..

I was looking into P90X for a minute. i looks like a great program that would get awesome results really fast. The only problem is i hate lifting weights. I do a little bit.. i have the shred and some other things that incorporate weights but not as much or as heavy as i would need to really get my body to change alot. But it gets on my nerves doing reps and sets and reps and sets.. it's hard, it's boring, it hurts and i hate it.. unfortunately tho, it works. I really want to firm up and get my body fat down in the worst way, but the whole idea of weight training to the extent i would need to get results, just is really overwhelming.. where do you think i should start?

Photos
    View albums

Default bored

You don't have to worry about getting bored with P90X. He changes things up so much it almost feels like you aren't doing a complete workout, yet at the end, you wish you could just lay on the carpet forever! You rarely do the exact same thing from day to day, and it even changes up after month 1, to month 2 and final month 3. You would only need a 15 lbs weight to see results. I started with a 25 lbs, and just graduated to 40 lbs not to long ago. I've always been able to curl 60lbs with an arm, but to do a full P90x workout, you need lighter weights. Check out the youtube p90x transformation videos!
    Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also. - Marcus Aurelius

Silver Phenster Big Girl No More's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

So Ivan - Do you know any women personally that have done the p90x, what type of results did they get?
    I've looked at it alot but am kinda intimidated by it..Thanx!
    Nikki

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Big Girl No More View Post
    So Ivan - Do you know any women personally that have done the p90x, what type of results did they get?
    I've looked at it alot but am kinda intimidated by it..Thanx!
    I'm way intimiated too. It looks scary hard.. {shiver}

Ivan- how long are the workouts anyways? Do they rotate upper/lower body, or do you just do a little bit on each body part everyday??? How many days are you supposed to do it? (im thinking about downloading the torrents so these are impoartant questions since i wont have the guide.. hehe)

Photos
    View albums

Default in reply

I'll answer both questions.

I do know of 2 girls that are doing it. One is my girlfriend, the other is in the Army. The thing about this program is you need to learn how to save yourself for the whole workout. Choose light weights to start, and after a week or two, you will understand what weights you can use, and not be so tired you can't finish. Today, I did Chest and Back, and between 10000000000 different push ups, and some basic dumbbell moves, I was BEAT! I just layed on mt mat, and napped with the dog licking my face haha!

You need to look for a torrent that has all the videos and the guides. If not, pm me, and I'll get you the guides via email. I have them in PDF format.

BTW, my gf uses 5, 10, and 15 lbs weights, and really hurts afterwords, but its a good hurt. The abb routine kills! Remember you don't have to do what the people in the TV are doing, just do your best. And beat your best every time you do it again.