Close
    Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Converting WW points to calories?

I am wondering if anyone can help me out here with a Weight Watchers question. Is there a formula that you can use to determine your points allowed (18 for me) into calories? I am just curious about how many calories I am actually taking in a day. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance!!!
    NEVER GIVE UP IN 2009 CHALLENGE
    12/31 134.0
    1/7 134.0 no loss, but no gain
    1/14 132.6 1.4 loss 1 month left of challenge
    1/21 132.4 .2 loss
    1/28 131.4 1.0 loss
    2/4 130.2 1.2 loss (Almost to goal for VDay)
    goal for V-Day 130

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

The general rule of thumb is that 50 calories = 1 point. So, if you are eating 18 points a day, that is only 900 calories. That's the lowest number of points you can have on WW; because after you hit your goal, you INCREASE your points (one point per week), until you gain - then that is your daily caloric need (according to WW).
    255.8 - 08-29-2008 (Starting Weight)
    251.4 - 09-05-2008 (Week 1: -4.4)
    250.0 - 09-12-2008 (Week 2: -1.4)

"One day we will know more, and perhaps then we will realize that we -- who know so much -- know but very little."

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks so much for the reply. Its no wonder why I am so freekin hungry all the time I had no idea I was taking in such a low amount.
    I understand as a "rule of thumb" but maybe you can answer this. My curve bar that I eat every morning is 1 point (according to my WW calculator) yet it is 100 calories. So, some things are considered 50 calories for every point, but others aren't? I am SO confused!!! LOL !
    12/31 134.0
    1/21 132.4 .2 loss
    1/28 131.4 1.0 loss
    goal for V-Day 130

Photos
    View albums

Dont forget that although the curve bar has 100 calories...it might be showing only one point due to low fat and fiber per serving...the fiber DOES play apart in the points calculations...so that might be why you have an issue trying to convert the points into a definate calorie limit per day...sorry...I know its confusing...I have done ww after every baby...I love the program...just wasnt working for me this time...but good luck to you!!!!

Photos
    View albums

It's to do with the COMBINATION of calories, fat, and fiber. Generally, fiber tends to cancel out the fat (in the Weight Watcher's world). So, if you have 100 calories, NO fat, and 4 grams of fiber, that does equate to 1 point. However, if you have 100 calories, 3-4 grams of fat, and 4 grams of fiber, that WILL come out to 2 points. Just trust your calculator.

"One day we will know more, and perhaps then we will realize that we -- who know so much -- know but very little."

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Jeaneene & Sleventic, thanks for the info. This is where WW gets you, lol ! Confuse the hell out of us so that we can never do it on our own!!! I'm wondering if maybe I should just go to a calorie counting "life change". I am not offically (have in the past) on WW this time. I am just using what I know from past experience and doing it on my own. I miss the meetings though. Have either of you done both, at one time or another (WW & C.counting) and if so, what seemed to be most easy for you?
    12/31 134.0
    1/21 132.4 .2 loss
    1/28 131.4 1.0 loss
    goal for V-Day 130

Photos
    View albums

I think calorie counting is way easier....there is no math other than adding it all up at the end of the day. However when I did do Weight Watchers they had this points slider thing that made everything much easier to convert. You find the calories and the DIETARY fiber and you line it up and it hows you how many points it is worth. I did this with all the food in my house one day and used a sharpie write on the food packaging how many points the food was worth. It saved me from having to always go find the points slider.....I am horrible at math!
    But defiantly calorie counting is much easier and the more dietary fiber food has in it the better....thats how I look at things now and it's working great.

My Perfect Baby

HT: 6'0"
    Pregnant right now...will be posting goals in December to lose the baby weight.
    Main goal: I wanna look good naked and of course have a healthy BMI. At 162 for my height my BMI would be the perfect 22

Photos
    View albums

I've only ever done WW before; although, the last time around I went from 231 down to 179 JUST by counting points. I'm not a "meeting" person - personally, the whole group therapy thing just doesn't do it for me. I use my palm pilot because I have a program on it for WW (weight tracker, points calculator, food log, activity log, fruit/veggie counter, dairy counter, water counter, vitamin checkbox, etc).

I am considering giving the Core program a shot because it involves NO counting what-so-ever (and a friend of mine actually gave me the book for it since she had 2 of them). I'm just not sure if I want to switch simply because I'm kind of afraid to try something that I'm not *sure* about, ya know?

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks ladies!!!!
    Vixena99- I know of the slider you speak of and it was a huge help. When I was doing ww/meetings, I bought a bunch of stuff, including the calculator. This was so much better than the slider. So quick and I could just leave it in my purse for my grocery shopping (which I still do, its in my purse). Very handy! I just wonder about this 50 calories per 1 point. 900 calories seems really low to me, even at my weight.
    If I were speaking to someone about "counting calories" I would highly suggest that they NOT go under 1000 calories per day. Yet, I am suppose to be on a 900 count? Dosen't make sense to me? So, maybe I will try out the counting on my own and see where that gets me. Thanks for your input, it was greatly appreciated!

Jeaneene- I have seriously thought about doing "Core" but the only thing holding me back is that I am SO picky. Up until 3 months ago I would not eat red meat. I went without for 12 years and was fine. As soon as I started eating it again, I put on weight. Go figure!! If I could get away with just eating chicken, fish, white (sushi type) rice and a small salad, I would be in heaven. If the Core program works for you, great luck with that and keep us informed!!!

Take care!
    12/31 134.0
    1/21 132.4 .2 loss
    1/28 131.4 1.0 loss
    goal for V-Day 130

Bronze Phenster oklahomawildcat's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I also bought the WW calculator, when I was on the program at work. Since we moved out of state, of course, I'm not using WW anymore but I still use the caluclator on a daily basis (I also keep it in my purse). It's SO much easier than the slider. I normally count calories & try to keep them around 1200. A couple of weeks ago I got curious to see what points I was eating so I took one week of my log & calculated everything to points & much to my suprise & elation, I was actually hitting my 26 points almost every day! So, if you calculate that into calories per point, it averages about the 50 as was stated above.

I personally like counting calories the best so I'll know EXACTLY what I'm eating (plus or minus any boo-boo's in figuring out recipes). As for logging my foods, I had bought the FITDAY program & log everything there, but the online FITDAY is good too.

Good luck!

SW 8/5/08 - 230.2
    CW 8/13/08 - 223.2
    CW 9/06/08 - 219.6
    CW 9/12/08 - 221.0 Stupid scale! You're going in the wrong direction!
    CW 9/19/08 -
    CW 9/26/08 -

The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!!!!