Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default When u take a laxative, is it normal for your stomach to bloat after?

So Ive never taken a laxative before.. so i went to target and bought a box of ducolax tablets.. says will work in 6-12 hours. take 1-3 tablets.. well im pretty backed up so i took 2, well shortly after, my stomach is now all bloated. its been 4 hours now and its still bloated and kinda painful. is that normal? i get the pain, duh, but the bloating part???? ah im worried im gonna be up on the scale now tomorrow... ugh.
    "In everything you do, you’re going to hit a wall, where you’re exhausted, frustrated, and you just want to quit…
    It’s what you do after that moment that makes the difference. "

2. Advertising
    advertising

Platinum Phenster cruisegirl1023's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Yup, that is the bad thing about laxatives... Dulcolax is gentler than many of the others, but if you got the one with the laxative, it can make you crampy and bloated... laxatives pull water into the intestines, so it also dehydrates you. That is one of the reasons you don't want to take them regularly, but if you need help going, they can be part of helping you.. hopefully it will work for you. Good luck!!!
    ~2/13/08-7/24/08- Lost 17 lbs on my own
    ~7/25/08- Started Phen and lipo shots -196 lbs
    ~8/1/08- 189.1 lbs
    ~8/7/08- 187.5 lbs
    ~8/15/08- 184.5 lbs
    ~8/21/08- 179.3 lbs (16.7 first month)
    ~8/28/08- 176 lbs
    ~9/13/08- 173.2 lbs
    ~12/4/08- 173 lbs... doomed to always be 173

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by cruisegirl1023 View Post
    Yup, that is the bad thing about laxatives... Dulcolax is gentler than many of the others, but if you got the one with the laxative, it can make you crampy and bloated... laxatives pull water into the intestines, so it also dehydrates you. That is one of the reasons you don't want to take them regularly, but if you need help going, they can be part of helping you.. hopefully it will work for you. Good luck!!!

haha i got ducolax because it says wont cause cramps on the box . ughhh let me tell you after i posted that last night, i thought i was going to die, it was like i had food poisoining!!! the pain was awful!!! i went to bed, was woke up in 4 hours with even worse crampy pain, it hurt sooo bad, like the flu diarehhea or something. omg! and finally 3 more hours and iw as able to go. omg it is so not worth it to take those just to go through that. omg awful. im going to haveta try something else, maybe just a softener cause that pain, chills, cold sweats, faintness, it was awful!!!! and i totally forgot that i have adhesions that grow all over my bowels --- dunno why or where they came from, they were found when i had a laprascopy a few years back, and when its not soft enough to pass through, those adhesions pull and tear. omgggggg! ack.

but the good news is i finally could go. but it wasnt worth all that. no no no
    "In everything you do, you’re going to hit a wall, where you’re exhausted, frustrated, and you just want to quit…

Photos
    View albums

the problem is the laxative with the fiber. Yes lax's cause bloating but the fiber is a KILLER. So, if you are backed up the fiber mixing with the lax is really bloating you. I know it's uncomfortable but since you have additional problems (ie adhesions) you may want to try enemas. They soften it up if you're backed up and sometimes help.
    Wearing these white jeans today...12/28/09..but man are they TIGHT!!

Photos
    View albums

I think with your other condition you should get something from the Doc. You don't want to take something that has you in pain like that when there are other alternatives.

Photos
    View albums

if hte laxative has fiber in it then yes, you can bloat. I bloated alot at first when doing teh colonix cleanse because my body was not used to that much fiber and couldn't process it.

Photos
    View albums

thankyou i will ask my doctor about it in the morning at my appt. im going to try a softener first and see if that helps. i tried one years ago and it was ok. hopefully it will help with the phen.