Close
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xblackbettyx

Thread: Anyone dealing with hyperthyroidism?

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Anyone dealing with hypothyroidism?

the nurse just called me and said that my blood work from yesterday showed my thyroid level of 21 when 5 is the maximum highest it should be...so I have to go back in tomorrow morning to start working towards getting this under control.

So I was like WOW there's an actual REASON for this unGODLY amount of weight I've gained in the past year!!!!!!!

I just started my phen today...she says they SHOULD let me stay on it along with the thyroid meds.

Anyone have this condition? What can you tell me about it?????? Should I be scared?
    Last edited by mommywonka; March 12th, 2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: changed hyper to hypo

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I think you might mean "hypothyroidism" which is when the thyroid is under-active. "Hyperthyroidism" is when the thyroid is over-active. People with hyperthyroidism are usually pretty thin. People with hypothyroidism have the weight problems.

Now, I'm not trying to insult or be nit-picky (I saw the whole "college/collage" post and really don't want to go there). It's just that they really are two different things and getting info on one won't do you any good if you really have the other.

Anyway...back to your question. I'm in no way a medical expert and don't have the condition myself. But, a friend of mine has and I saw her go through the initial diagnosis, etc. The biggest challenge, for her at least, what figuring out the right dosage for her medication. It really was a trial-and-error sort of thing. Now that the doctor's have the dose at the right lever, she doesn't really have any problems. And if you didn't know she had it, you would never guess.

Maybe one of the nurse's can chime in with more details.

PS--to the medical personnel: if I'm wrong about the difference between hypo- and hyper-, please correct me.
    02/19/08 233.5
    02/29/08 223.0
    03/05/08 222.0
    03/11/08 219.5
    03/18/08 217.5

1st Goal August?? 180.0

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

you are probably right...i was confused as to wether she said hypo or hyper and I didn't know the difference!!!!

Photos
    View albums

Yeah, it has to be hypo...I have it.

Photos
    View albums

I have hypo and the hardest part is getting the right level of meds you need but once that is figured out it should be pretty smooth from there. So just make sure you going back monthly until you find the right level. It is okay to take the phen with most hypothyroid meds but I am sure the doc will let you know....
    " Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be" ~ George Sheehan

SPRING FLING.....K.I.S.S.

SW 236lbs(10/10/2007)
    I have lost 66lbs so far.... cannot wait to make it 169lbs

Photos
    View albums

I have had Hypothyroidism for the last 7 years. As everyone before has said the biggest challenge is getting the dose right. As you loose or gain weight your dose will need to change as well. I have also had the Dr check my T-4 and T-3 levels. Usually they tend to just check the T-4 levels. I found it important to check both, because when both are not working correctly together it seems the dose doesn't quite fix the problem.
    I have been on Phen now for about 2 weeks and I have not run into any trouble with my thyroid meds and the Phen. Although I am sure they will need to lower my thyroid meds soon.
    One of the challenges with your thyroid meds is you need to take it for a month before the Dr. can check your levels and change your dosage. It's a bit maddening, but eventually they get it all squared away.
    Also, be sure to tell them of any side effects you have! There are different types of thyroid meds and they can affect you different ways.
    Anyway... please let me know if you have any extra questions and concerns and I am more than happy to relate my experiences! As long as you have a good Dr and you tell them everything you are going through it will be just fine! =0)
    SW 271 2/27/08
    W 262 3/3/08
    W 259 3/11/08
    CW 250.6 4/20/08
    mini goal 225 July 4
    GW 175

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by justlynda View Post
    I think you might mean "hypothyroidism" which is when the thyroid is under-active. "Hyperthyroidism" is when the thyroid is over-active. People with hyperthyroidism are usually pretty thin. People with hypothyroidism have the weight problems.

Now, I'm not trying to insult or be nit-picky (I saw the whole "college/collage" post and really don't want to go there). It's just that they really are two different things and getting info on one won't do you any good if you really have the other.

Anyway...back to your question. I'm in no way a medical expert and don't have the condition myself. But, a friend of mine has and I saw her go through the initial diagnosis, etc. The biggest challenge, for her at least, what figuring out the right dosage for her medication. It really was a trial-and-error sort of thing. Now that the doctor's have the dose at the right lever, she doesn't really have any problems. And if you didn't know she had it, you would never guess.

PS--to the medical personnel: if I'm wrong about the difference between hypo- and hyper-, please correct me.
    i recently was diagnoised with hypothyroidism. anyone with such disorder. my doctor said it will help me lose weigh when thyroid starts working again. dr. also made me buy over the couter vitamin b-complex for metabolism support. i want to ask him about diet pills. how can i go about asking him. please help, i have been on the medicine for 3 wks. i excerise daily and watch what i eat dr. gave me 1300 calorie diet to follow. not 1 pound of weight lost yet.

Photos
    View albums

Talking

I also have hypothyroidism. I had my thyroid removed 2 years ago and that's when all my weight gain started. My doctor had no problem putting me on phen along with my synthroid, he is actually uping my synthroid in 2 weeks. Good luck

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

MommyW,

Wow, you are VERY hypothyroid! It's too bad the doctor didn't do that test earlier, I am sure you have been hypo for awhile. It is the main reason you've gained all the weight. It lowers your metabolism and then on top of it makes you weak and tired...with tons of other symptoms on top of those.

I have hypothyroidism and have for many years. The main issues is getting on the right medication. I was on synthroid for years, then that stopped being effective so I added cytomel. When those failed a few years later, I went to Armour, with is a bio-identical drug versus a bio synthetic. I would ask your doc to put you on Armour or Naturethroid.

I've just started taking phen. I have not seen any results yet (it's been a little over a week) nor any problems with combining them. I have a little difficulty sleeping, but otherwise I feel pretty good.

If you have the $, go on Amazon and buy as many books as you can afford on Hypothyroidism. Sadly, if you don't have the right doctor you might have a hard time getting it under control because more often than not, they look at blood work and ignore symptoms. Had I let doctors tell me what was right, I most likely would not be here. I had to be my own advocate and went from doctor to doctor until I found the right one (an endocrinologist in Chicago-which is where I live).

Good luck. There are a lot of women on this board with hypo that are very nice. Please let me know if you need any help. It's a hard thing to go through with no support (I know, I had none).

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I too have hypo and have had this since 2003. What I would encourage you to do is read all that you can and educate yourself on this. There are many different approaches to how to treat this condition but only you will know if it's working.

I for one have been through hell. I had to fight for every inch that I have made with getting well. I will post some links for you to read so you don't just take the Doctors word for it. Also know your choices as to meds. There are T4 only meds which are synthetic and the drug of choice for most Doctors is Synthyroid. More expensive then the other T4 meds that are on the market but this is the drug that most doctors were introduced to and believe it or not most of the information that the doctors gain is through drug reps and their medical books (which by the way have been written by big Pharma) Most will not do well on Synthyroid but numbers will look good so there for you are suppose to feel well. This does not happen 9 times out of 10. Labs are numbers only and don't tell the whole story. Also ALWAYS and I mean this get copies of all labs and tests. Keep your own record. By law they have to give them to you. Never take that your fine without seeing the numbers and how symptoms are doing.

I first choose Levoxyl. About 1/4 of the price and many will do better on this. There are several others also.

I am now on Armour thyroid 2 grains which is a T3/T4 med and levoxyl a T4 med because I needed additional T4. A drug that has been around since the late 1800's and has been used for over 100 years. Most will not use this drug and tell you all kinds of bad things about it but for me it was a life saver. It takes a much more dedicated doctor since it's not easy to tweak. This is a T3/T4 med. It's made from pig thyroid and is FDA approved and it's a script. It's produced by Forest labs. There has been a bit of a problem lately due to production but this is getting resolved. Most doctors will tell you that it's being discontinued but it's not true. Most will tell you that the man made drugs are better but read the research and you will find that many of the man made thyroid meds have been recalled many times. Armour has never been recalled.

As for the myth that all hyperthyroid patients are thin......that's just that a myth. I gained most of my weight while hyper and there are people that will gain while hyper. It's not as rare as some will believe.

The second myth is that once on thyroid meds you will lose weight.....again another myth. All thyroid meds will do is even the playing field you will still have to diet and exercise in order to lose weight.

Many years ago some doctors would use thyroid meds to aid people in losing weight. This sometimes worked but most of the time it backfired.

Labs that are needed to truely fine tune your levels are:

Free T3
    Free T4
    TSH
    Cortisol AM
    Vitamin D
    Chem 24
    A1C
    Anti Bodies (for hashi's or graves)

The thyroid panels that the doctors run are useless. As for ranges. In 2005 I believe not sure but the TSH levels were lowered to .03-3.0 and a not to all doctors that any patient exhibiting symptoms and a TSH of 2 or more doctors should strongly suspect hypothyroidism. Many are not up on this fact.

I have been on thyroid meds for almost 7 yrs and it wasn't until this June with taking Phen did I begin to lose no matter what I did because with large weight gains and obese patients many will become Insulin Resistance.

http://www.thyroidmanager.org/

http://www.drlowe.com/QandA/askdrlowe/thymetab.htm

http://www.power-surge.com/transcripts/blanchard.htm

http://jeffreydach.com/2009/07/21/qu...y-dach-md.aspx
    Last edited by Jasp; November 29th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by justlynda View Post

Actually, you're right but not completely. Most people with hyperthyroidism ARE thin, and most people with hypothyroidism tend to be overweight; however, being in the medical field I have seen thin people with hypothyroidsm. The most interesting was my roomate at college. She was 5'8 and 105lbs on a good day and she had hypothyroidsm. It was interesting, even her doctors said when people are thin and have hypothyroidsm they don't exactly know why.
    VHGR'S likes this.