Close
    Photos
    View albums

Red face Ok, what is a B12 Shot and few other things?

Everyone on here has so much knowledge and i am soooo in the dark!

What is a B12 shot and what is it for while on phen?

Exercise... is it safe when on phen? I am used to an hour cardio and a half of weights... but in these past three days i havent gone cause im afraid to pump up my heart rate... any exercise that isnt straining but still helps with results?

How about caffiene intake? i want to have it cause i start to crash from the phentermine around 2. Can i jump kick myself back without effects?

I would ask the doc but i swear they never answer the phone!
    Nikki - Looking to divorce BOB...lol, my BIG OL' BELLY!

2/05/08 - 252 lbs (the evil truth)
    6/28/08 - 202 ON MY OWN!!!- Life after Phen

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Well I know that exercise is safe and I think it gives me that extra push to workout harder! My doctor told me caffiene is ok but not alot, i just have 1 large one in the morning and im good. And I take another half tablet of phen at about 2 to keep me going but not up all night. But im sure caffiene would be fine too. Hope that helps a little. Thats all I got! Oh-yeah, good luck!!!!

Photos
    View albums

b12 is for a little extra energy kick that some of us needs sometimes.
    Starting weight 280 (before I started working out )
    Starting weight (when I started Phentermine)
    273 2/07/2008
    Week One Results
    267 2/14/2008
    Week Two Results
    261 2/21/2008
    Week Three Results
    257 2/29/2008
    July 18th 2008
    265 (starting over again)

Goal weight 120

Photos
    View albums

how long have you been on phen..?? i didnt do much of anything for the first three weeks i was on phen..and my schedule at work was horrors so i really couldnt get to the gym anyway. and it continued to be bad for me at work with scheduleing for about six months(long story about me doing three peoples work yadd yadda) now its february things are slowing down because i friggen rock at my work and im an over achiever ......oh .......sorry got on my self appriciation kick..... i do that alot cause nobody else will ..... but aaaannnnnyyyy whooooo ive just started back to the gym and i have noticed a couple things.

my moods have leveled off
    i sleep better
    i am more motivated to keep going.

i mean i hate hate hate going to the gym. im not a very social animal. and i wont even go near the weights as long as there are people there that can see me fumble around with them but i would wait until you feel evened out with the phen then head back. just enjoy the time off .. maybe walk a bit.. if you feel you must do something but take it easy.

Photos
    View albums

From what my doc told me, the B12 shot is supposed to be a metablosim booster/enhancer.
    She doesnt give them, because she doesnt think its nescassary. But I know some doctors do. It all depends on what type of program you are doing, and the type of diet you would be on with the phen. Look at it this way, you can buy B12 supplements in lots of different forms at any GNC or walgreens. So try it out and see how it makes you feel.
    I have to cups of coffee every day. I try to space it out from like 6am to noon. It doesnt make as jittery as you might think it would, with taking pills. But then again I work out after having that first cup of coffee so I dont notice it too much. But, whenI do have that second cup at or around 11 ( i totally sip) It does give me that extra kick..

Where snow doesnt exist and the lizards sweat
    Photos
    View albums

I had high blood pressure in the beginning so my doc told me TO exercise!! Your heart is a muscle and working it only makes it stronger - since starting an aggressive workout routine my BP has gone down !!! I too drink coffee (but my doc said not to) but gradually Im weening myself LOL hope this has helped - the point of my post was WORKOUT girl, sweat hard, make your body sore lol its a great feeling knowing your not just sitting around waiting for your weight to come off and it sounds like your body is already accustomed to working (1 hr cardio )out so you should be good
    SW - 216 LBS. 07/06/07
    01/03/08 - 181 LBS 01/04/08
    01/31/08 - 177 LBS (excited about this one)
    02/22/08 - 173 LBS (so close to entering '160 Land')
    03/28/08 - 174 LBS (I should be angry but I lost 8% body fat so far!!)
    04/25/08 - 172 LBS (just crawling along
    GW - 155-160 LBS
    NEW GW - 145-150 LBS

Mini Goal: At 160 I'm gettin a TATTOO

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can loose"

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Hopefully an answer

Vitamin B-12, it is a necessary vitamin but does not occur naturally in the body .....with that being said, most people do not have enough of it in their daily diet. If you add an anorexic agent like phentermine to the mix, it exascerbates the problem. It is commonly called cyanocobalamin (pardon my spelling). it prevents certain types of anemia (pernicious anemia, those who have that, cannot convert B-12 to a useful form from food). anyhow, it can give extra energy and that is typically the laymans touted reasoning, but really, they don't want us all to suddenly become psychotic and crazed because we are nutritionally deficient. So if you are given them by your MD, that is a great thing. If you aren't, either boost up your diet in foods rich in it, or ask your MD about it.

Caffeine-not good on phen, it tends to already bring up blood pressure and pulse therfore it is best to lay off if you can. If you can't and are an avid coffee drinker, have one cup per day to avoid withdrawals and ween yourself off (you'll be happy you did anyhow).

Exercise is dependent upon how high your BP/pulse gets when you are on phen and what your caloric intake has been. If you are like me and have only been taking in like 400 calories a day and then go running for 5 miles, you'll pass out at some point, so don't do that. What you indicated, 30 min cardio and 30 min strength training sounds great. just don't over do it at first. As you move further into your program, you may be able to increase exercise and diet. But don't toast yourself.

Good luck on your journey.
    Last edited by Blitz7277; February 9th, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
    "Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps, if we never veered off course, we wouldn’t fall in love or have babies or be who we are."
    Michael Patrick King, Sex and the City, I Heart NY, 2002

Photos
    View albums

Blitz- Your MD put you on a 400 calorie diet, being only 190 I would think it would be higher????
    SW - 216 LBS. 07/06/07
    GW - 155-160 LBS
    NEW GW - 145-150 LBS

Photos
    View albums

I was curious myself so I did a lil research and I found this on health network:

How many calories do I need?

If you do not have access to a metabolic measurement, you can use an equation to estimate your basic calories. The most accurate one is the Mifflin-St. Joer equation. Weight in pounds must be converted to kilograms by dividing weight in pounds by 2.2. Height must be changed to centimeters by multiplying inches by 2.54. Plug your height and weight into the basic equation:

9.99 x weight + 6.25 x height - 4.92 x age.

Men then add 5; women subtract 161.

The total is your approximate calories per day for resting metabolic rate. The RMR for a 40-year-old man who weighs 190 lbs and is 6'1" is 1800 calories per day. A 25-year-old woman who is 5'6" and 140 pounds has a basic calorie requirement of 1380. Because the equation is not completely accurate, real RMR may be slightly lower or higher.

In addition to the RMR calories, each person needs additional calories for daily activities and exercise. A sedentary person will need fewer calories than an active person.

According to this equation a healthy amount of calories for myself at 177 lbs 5'4" and 31 years old is 1668 calories a day - I do try to keep it down to 1200, but I couldnt imagine 400 calories or less, I wouldnt even have the energy to pick up my water bottle.........
    SW - 216 LBS. 07/06/07
    GW - 155-160 LBS
    NEW GW - 145-150 LBS

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default My plan

This is my plan.
    First 3 days, 10oz of lean protein only (skinless chicken breast, seafood, fish.....)
    Lots of water and that is it. Plus you are just starting the phen and appetite isn't there to eat too much.
    After 3 days (or ketosis) you incorporate 4 servings of vegetables and still your 10oz of lean protein. You can add 2 servings of fruit, but it has to be on the low glycemic list like blueberries, cherries, 1 orange etc. No bananas or anything starchy.
    When you meet your goal weight you increase your caloric intake until you "break even" and gain a pound or two. This is the point in which YOUR body needs calories to function. If you are heavy on exercise he has you increase your protein and vegetable intake.

I did the program for 5 weeks over the summer and dropped 25lbs, gained 3 back for the following 6 mos (not bad through the holidays) and since I started back up, I'm down 5.8lbs this past week and 2.5% body fat. That body fat is really important.
    I also use spark people . com and I track all the food I put in my mouth...everything and I average between 350 calories on the days I work the night shift (because I go home and sleep through breakfast and lunch) to my high was 759 and that was abnormal. I don't feel hungry, I don't feel tired, I feel really good actually. When I'm hungry, I eat, I just eat what he has approved me to eat.
    This is by the largest weight loss clinic in the Tampa Bay area, you can google Dr. Jay Garcia or Cesar Lara and you'll find links to their pages. They also provide supplements calcium pyruvate (which aids in the conversion of sugar to energy in the Krebs cycle of metabolism) and a multivitamin and B-12 injections. I'm so happy with how this has been going.
    "Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps, if we never veered off course, we wouldn’t fall in love or have babies or be who we are."

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Just to recap

Okay....just want to share with you what I ate today so you can see...and today was a high day, 981 calories.
    turkey burger patty with 1 slice of cheese chopped up with lettuce and one slice of tomato and 2 slices of bacon
    7oz of stirfried chicken with a tsp of pesto sauce drizzled over it
    6 pieces of tortellini (spinach)
    1 cup of broccoli and cheese.

Totals-981 calories, 38 carbs, 52 grams of fat and 88 grams of protein.

This is a bit more than I normally eat but all this talk of food and calories made me hungry and when my hubby got home I couldn't help it. AND I usually drink 24oz of water before eating and didn't this time. Soooo that is how I'm doing it. I'm getting ready next week to keep my calories at this level and slowly get back to my running. I love running and now I have 6lbs less to push those 5 miles. My goal just so you all know is to run the Disney marathon next January which qualifies for the Boston Marathon. I CAN do this.

Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the answers! Today i had my phentermine before my coffee and then had to rush off to my daughters doctor and i felt fine. I think today was the most active i was and my asthma kicked a little so i used my proventil.

I was at the pharmacy getting my daughter her prescription, with only a handful of almonds in my stomach when i started with the pain in the shoulder, a little numbess in my right shoulder and arm, accompanied by the tingle. They had one of those blood pressure machines and figured i would take my dizzy *** over to it. And tada, 148/97 - how not cool and the i tried it again in 5 and was feeling worse and i was at 157/94. I was scared sh***less, you get the point. It just kept getting worse!

I actually drove over to the ER parking lot and sat there with my kiddo in the car waiting for it to pass. But sadly, it got worse.. chest pain and breathing. So, I ended up in the ER with a battery of test. Once the phen wore off i started feeling better and so tired i could have slept in the bathroom. It was such a bad experience and i think switching the pill before my coffee was a bad idea whereas before i had my two cups two hours before the pill. I think I want to switch to just the phenD, which is the 35mg pill i take at night. I feel noraml on that one and it doesnt make me feel high and dizzy.... does the phenD work just as well on its on a few times a day?

Moral of this story - caff and too much movin isn't so well in the begining

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Wow-
    Nikki.....cut out the coffee to one cup period would be a good start (please don't take that the wrong way). Really, this is a different form of amphetimine and you shouldn't need caffeine. The only way you should drink caffeine is to ween yourself off of it (1 cup for 3 days, 1/2 cup for 3 days then none). I wish you great luck, but please remember that if you are in the hospital, then you are there for a reason and you have to remember these are strong medications. Please talk to your doctor about a plan for when to take your medication and what doses. Elevated BP puts people at risk for stroke, which is why if it gets too high, your doctor will discontinue your usage.

Photos
    View albums

I know - I need to leave it alone but on the phen i am just tired and dizzy. The phenD i take in the evening is great with no weird effects. I think i am going to ask to switch because i see people on here with positive experiences from the D.

Bronze Phenster CantWait2BeSkinny's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I used to have the same problem with getting tired around the late afternoon until I changed my routine... when I started phen I used to drink my coffee and take my phen, but I felt all jittery and hyper, so I switched up.. Now I get up in the morning, have my coffee and breakfast, and then I wait to take my phen... I started taking my phen around 11:30-12, and it holds my over until like 8pm or longer... also it depends which phen you are on.. I used to take the 30mg(capsules) when I started, and it worked great.. Then my doctor gave me the 37.5mg pill (the white one with the blue specks) and I HATED it.. It would work for me for like 1 hour, then when it wore off I felt like I was starving and I just couldn't get enough food, no matter what I ate.. My doctor then switched me to the 37.5 mg capsule(its blue and white) and it works great.. My doctor said that the phen capsules are kinda like time released, they last longer then the pills.. So if your taking a pill, then talk to your doctor about trying the capsules to see how you like it...
    214.5 LBS. Starting Weight 10/26/07
    206.5 LBS. 11/02/07 (-8.0lbs= 8.0lbs total lost)
    202.5 LBS. 11/09/07 (-4.0lbs=12.0lbs total lost)
    201.5 LBS. 11/16/07 (-1.0lbs=13.0lbs total lost)
    200.0 LBS. 12/01/07 (-1.5lbs=14.5lbs total lost)
    190.0 LBS. 12/15/07 (-10 lbs=24.5lbs total lost)
    184.5 LBS. 01/15/07 (-5.5lbs=34.5lbs total lost) BIG TIME SLIPPING THIS PAST MONTH...
    125 LBS. Goal Weight

Photos
    View albums

Lightbulb Maybe!

I will try that!!! I take that yellow capsule of the 30 in the morning. I was thinking that maybe if i had food in my stomach an hour before i took it that the side effects might be less. I was thinkin that i could be dizzy cause my body is like... food...food, where are you??? Cause when i wouldn't get a chance to eat when i wasn't on any meds I would get crazy dizzy - same with the Phen... crazy dizzy... i could be my own tilt o wheel at the carnival.

I am going to try coffe - eggs, toast, and a meat for breakfast and then phen it. I will see how that goes today. That gives me a good 500 cals and then with the lack of appetite later i should be good on getting in the other 500!

Let ya know outcome tomorrow

Photos
    View albums

For some reason when i was on the capsules i was way more jittery then when I switched to the tablets and they are a higher dose too. But that could just be me. Godd luck

Photos
    View albums

Lightbulb It worked!!!

omg!!! You are brilliant! I had eggs and a muffin (bad muffin, i know) and my coffee... took my phen capsule an hour later and had no bad effects! how excited am i. It really was a great idea. Are you still seeing the same weight loss with taking the pill after you eat?

Bronze Phenster CantWait2BeSkinny's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I have lost weight regularly.. I have lost from 10 pounds in 2 weeks to only losing 5 pounds in a month.. ( I slipped big time that month, LOL) It all depends on what you eat, and how active you are... Did you notice that taking your phen later holds you over thru the dinner hour better??
    214.5 LBS. Starting Weight 10/26/07
    206.5 LBS. 11/02/07 (-8.0lbs= 8.0lbs total lost)
    202.5 LBS. 11/09/07 (-4.0lbs=12.0lbs total lost)
    201.5 LBS. 11/16/07 (-1.0lbs=13.0lbs total lost)
    200.0 LBS. 12/01/07 (-1.5lbs=14.5lbs total lost)
    190.0 LBS. 12/15/07 (-10 lbs=24.5lbs total lost)
    184.5 LBS. 01/15/07 (-5.5lbs=34.5lbs total lost) BIG TIME SLIPPING THIS PAST MONTH...
    125 LBS. Goal Weight

Photos
    View albums

Thumbs up Yes!

It does! When I didn't eat it was getting to the point I wasn't hungry until about 6 and i would be ravenous even with the PhenD.. then it would trail off if i just picked at something.

With eating in the morning then taking the phen i get a lil hungry about an hour later that i curb with a handful of almonds and then around 4 hours after that i get that little pang again. I did it again today and it was the same. And it did last longer and I won't be crashing at work wich will be wonderful!!!! So I will most definetly take it a little later and stick to a non-carb breakfast!

Oh by the weigh - I weighed in today! I started on Tuesday at 246 and now it is sunday and i am 238!!!!! who hoo!

Photos
    View albums

CONGRATS NIKKI FINN GRAET JOB !!!!

Keep it up...Can someone tell me what the PhenD is?

Photos
    View albums

Default PhenD

Well, Monday i was weighed in at 236 - so that is a total of 10 pounds in one day and we changed my doasge to the 15mg in the morn and 15 in the afternoon of phentermine and (lost of ands) still taking the phend at night. No crazy side effects on a lower dosage minus the breakfast and it last 4-5 hours a pill.

The PHEN D is phendimetrazine, another form of phen without the stimulant. Kinda like taking prozac for night, at least in my opinion. Phen D is a class three controlled substance that falls in with pain meds and could be addicitive - great thing to know right. The phend curbs me till about 8-9 pm but i still have an appetite i just wont bing and it helps me sleep so im not all crazy wired.

Photos
    View albums

hey nikki im in philly too where did u get your pills from?

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Blitz,, your description of B12 was right on...My body doesn't absorb the B12 from foods so my levels are extremely low.. and i can tell when they are getting low because you get very very very fatigued. My dr has me take an injection once a month and it makes a world of difference. I excercise everyday for 2-3 hours and it has not effect on me other than giving me that little extra boost of energy.

Nikki,,, if your going to drink coffee do it before taking the phentermine otherwise it washes out the effect as the coffee acts as a dirutic and washes the phen out of your system. If I'm going to have some i do exactly as Blitz says and have it before the phen,,, though in all honesty i've just about cut it out altogether.
    SW 02/28/08 199lbs Started Phen
    CW 3/6/08 196 LBS (TOTAL LOST -3lbs
    CW 3/13/08 191.8 LBS (TOTAL LOST - 4.2lbs)
    CW 3/20/08 [COLOR="Red"]190[/COLOR]LBS (TOTAL LOST -1.8 )
    CW 3/27/08 188.2 LBS (Total Lost-1.8)
    CW 4/03/08 188.6 LBS (Total Gained .4) Goal of 179 Not MET 1ST 10%
    CW Goal 4/10/08 183 LBS (total Lost 5.2)
    cwGoal 5/22/08 179LBS (Total Lost)

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz7277 View Post
    it prevents certain types of anemia (pernicious anemia, those who have that, cannot convert B-12 to a useful form from food). Good luck on your journey.
    Funny you said this.....I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia about 18 months ago. For the first 3 weeks to a month I had to go get daily B12 shots, then it spread out to 3 times a week, then 2 then one, etc...right now I am in once a month with occasional extra shots thrown in but now I give them to myself at home .the plan is that eventually I will probably have to have shots once every 2-3 months for the rest of my life.
    SW (2/15/08) - 354 lbs
    CW (6/19/08) - 315 lbs

October 2007 vs July 2008

(the top is pinned in the back - it is too big now!)

June 2006 vs June 2008 (same tank top)

Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki finn View Post
    Everyone on here has so much knowledge and i am soooo in the dark!

What is a B12 shot and what is it for while on phen?

Exercise... is it safe when on phen? I am used to an hour cardio and a half of weights... but in these past three days i havent gone cause im afraid to pump up my heart rate... any exercise that isnt straining but still helps with results?

How about caffiene intake? i want to have it cause i start to crash from the phentermine around 2. Can i jump kick myself back without effects?

I would ask the doc but i swear they never answer the phone!
    The doc that I get my B12 shot from said it was to help boost my metabolism. I get one every week.