Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Constipation

Photos
    View albums

Post Constipation

Hello Phen Buddies

Has anyone had sever problems with constipation since taking phen. If so what helped you?
    LBS_Be_Gone
    SW : 212 October 1, 2007
    CW: 197 November 30, 2007, started apple detox
    CW: 194 December 1,2007, day 2 on apple detox
    CW: 191 December 2,2007, day 3 on apple detox
    CW: 190 December 3, 2007 finish detox (lost 7lb total)
    CW: 193 December 10, 2007 sick this week, no work-out
    CW: 195 The holidays(ate like a pig)
    CW: 188 First weigh-in for the new year (21 day Daniel Fast)

GW: 150 by my anniversary May 5, 2008

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Hi there, I can relate to your problem for I had it too.

I eat a yoplait Digestive Health yogurt every day and I found that helps out alot. I made this part of my regular food intake and it totally tastes good. I love the cherry one, it's the best. There is another yogurt on the market with the same type of results. I think it's called Activa.

Hope that helps!
    J. Hollywood

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I have only been on phen for 6 days but day one I have been having constipation and I am someone that usually go 2-3 times a day. I started eating bananas a few days ago and I have not been constipated. That was the only thing different that I have been eating in the past few days so I figured it must be the bananas.
    Taking it one dress size at a time.

Photos
    View albums

Don't eat any dairy if you can help it! Drink more water and eat more fiber - fresh fruits, raw leafy green vegetables, etc.. - adding an oil based salad dressing to your salad will also help 'MOVE' things along.
    Dairy products, salt, coffee, alcohol, sugar, soft drinks, and meat offer the body little or no fiber and are difficult to digest.
    <3 alex

SW: 215
    CW: 175
    1stGW: 165
    2ndGW: 150
    GW: 135

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Constipation is the story of my life! I'm a once a weeker if I'm lucky. I eat tons of veggies, and fruit. I drink at least 8 cups of water a day and have tried Benefiber as well. I asked my doctor about it and he said that it just may be the way that I am. He said that as long as I'm going once a week that he's not concerned. If I get to that 7th day with no movement than I'll drink the Super Dieters Tea. That works every time. I try not to rely on that if I don't have too.
    Height 5'1

HW - 192

Final Goal - 125

Photos
    View albums

I am new to Phen. I have been taking for one month and don't feel much of a diffrence. I got my pills from walmart. I heard that the kind they are selling is not working. Does anyone know if that is true?
    I also have constipation since I started taking the pills.. does that mean they are working??? I am so confused.
    I am not loosing any poundsssss what am I doing wrong???

This website seems to be great,, I will log on everyday and use it to comfort me threw this battle of loosing weight...

Photos
    View albums

Be very carefull with that. I was just like that also. It is not good to go only once a week.

I let myself go like this and ended up with blood in my stool. I went to a clinic and he treated me for hemroids and I still blead. I went to the ER and they treated me for hemroids and I blead 2 weeks later. Finially I went to a Gasterontorologist, come to find out a had a really bad tear.

Before the bleed I was so constipated untill I was taking Docolax (laxitive) daily.

I am eatting the Activia yogurt, taking Phillips milk of magnesia, Metamucil, and on a perscription cream just to keep my stool soft enough to pass so I won't continue to tare.

Try the Metamucil if you don't try anything else, because it has the fiber in it. People like us who are constipated usually lack fiber.
    LBS_Be_Gone
    SW : 212 October 1, 2007
    CW: 197 November 30, 2007, started apple detox
    CW: 194 December 1,2007, day 2 on apple detox
    CW: 191 December 2,2007, day 3 on apple detox
    CW: 190 December 3, 2007 finish detox (lost 7lb total)
    CW: 193 December 10, 2007 sick this week, no work-out
    CW: 195 The holidays(ate like a pig)
    CW: 188 First weigh-in for the new year (21 day Daniel Fast)

GW: 150 by my anniversary May 5, 2008

Photos
    View albums

I used to have a problem with that and my dr recommended Metamucil,which worked.I go on my own now.I started drinking more water and I usually eat at least 1 banana a day.

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I was wondering about this too! I don't go as much as I normally do and when i do, ouch. I know I need more veggies and fiber, but I may need to add in some metamucil or something too.

Bronze Phenster BeautifulScars07's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I do the Epson Salt ( 3 teaspoons ) with 12 oz of warm water straight down the hatch. Hold your nose it is an aquired taste lol but omg it works and it will clear you out as well as get rid of the constipation. I tried everything and have found that this works best for me, good luck.

Photos
    View albums

If you haven't try Miralax it's OTC now and on their website miralax dot com (make this a website and take out dot and replace it with . ) they have a $2 coupon.

My PCP prescribed this when I was having problems (10 days) and even dulcolax didn't work! some say 500 mg of magnesium is supposed to help, but it never helped me.

The only problem I found with the Miralax is that when I first took it I noticed water weight gain because it helps your colon absorb the water it needs. It's similar to benefiber where it's a powder you stir in drinks (I did mine in coffee and didn't notice any tastse) you take daily and within a couple of days I was "normal" - 3 or 4 times a week!

This is from their website: Restores your natural rhythm by using the body's own water to gently increase the frequency of bowel movements and to soften the stool so it is easier to pass.

Oh a side note: How often do most people have a bowel movement? A: Normal frequency is different for everyone. Some people go once or twice a day, others three times a week-all completely normal if that number of trips to the bathroom is the regular routine. Twice a day? WOW! lol

Photos
    View albums

Well for me, I eat two prunes a day -- was having a really rough time at first, and then sort of "stumbled" across the prune remedy. And Sunsweet now has a canister where the prunes are individually wrapped, so it's easy to throw one or two packs in my purse. But it really all comes down to getting that fiber inside for good relief, and prunes are packed with fiber --
    GET THE WAGON ROLLING CHALLENGE!!!

Starting Weight (11/15/2007) - 252
    12/31/08 - 240
    1/7 - 235
    2/4 - 230
    3/15 - 233
    4/28 - 225
    8/22 - CW: 230
    starting over!

Photos
    View albums

I had this problem for a while and was in agony with my hemmorhoids. Nothing helped until I drank a bottle of magnesium citrate...that cleared out the stuff that was "backed up". Then my doctor suggested colace stool softener, this is NOT a laxative, but just helps to soften the stools so you can go. Get your veggies in and your water, alot of us don't get enough and wonder why we're backed up.
    Lord, I have had two babies and I'll tell you that not hing was more painful than those hemmorhoids....hate to be so graphic and all....I am really being careful not to let that happen again and so far so good. When I start to feel myself getting the least bit constipated I take down some of that magnesium citrate...not the whole bottle, maybe half. Prunes didn't help me but they taste good and are good for you so try them.
    It isn't good to go once a week because stool sitting around our colon becomes TOXIC..this is why so many people are trying cleanses now. I bought one but haven't started it yet.......
    I did it!! Reached goal and have been here for quite a while thanks to low carb eating and working out like crazy! Phen didn't work for me, but that isn't to say that there aren't other ways. God bless all of you!

[Obsession is the greatest form of flattery.........

Photos
    View albums

My doctor told me to take Senakot S, it's a natural vegetable laxative. It works good!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Constipation

This is my first time here so hello to every1 and thanks for this rich informative site.Previously I used to have very bad constipation. 2 or 3 days once and bleeding and all... Sometimes so bad that even the toilet bowl water is red.After taking fibre drink my problem get solved.It helps to cleanse u r body by enhancing u r bowel motion.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hey....This hasn't been a huge problem for me so far....just occasional slow movements.... or not regular. However, one of my downfalls weight wise has been snacking....at work in the afternoon, in the evening before bed (not a good time to eat) so I bought a big tub of prunes and they are a regular part of my diet now. I happen to really like them so it's not hard to pack a little baggie of them to take to work. I haven't taken any phen for the past 4 days due to being a little ill with a virus so my appetite has been raging a little bit. Last night before I went to bed I felt "snacky" so I ate prunes instead of junk. Really does help and it's healthy...
    Feelin' fine in 2009!

Photos
    View albums

Nope none for me. Normal Bowels and I poo everyday on schedule (Sorry TMI)

Photos
    View albums

This is a problem that has troubled me in the past. I know take 2 capsules of coconut oil each day and no more constipation. You can also use coconut oil in cooking or like you would use butter or other spreads. It is very good for you. It also makes you skin very soft.
    [

Photos
    View albums

First off let me say that the best thing you can do is, do a search on this forum and you'll see hundreds of post made about constipation..it's not only a phen thing it's a diet thing if you are not eating the right foods and drinking enough to hydrate yourself...
    Most times when we get constipated from dieting it comes from dehydration...keep the fluids flowing along with the fiber and you shouldn't have a problem...
    I learned about Fiber One Bars and for 2 months I ate one a day and had no more problems with being backed up...My taste buds got burnt out on the bars and I've been having problems for the last month...so now I'm trying to incorporate more fiber through what I eat and I take a stool softner every day...I still have some problems but not like it use to be...I'm bout to try Phospho-soda that someone else reccomended in an older post on this site...All it is, is Magnesium Citrate which is nothing more than salt water but the fact that it comes in different flavors makes it easier to drink...

Good Luck...

My starting face! My new do, 6 months later!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hello and I'm so sorry you are having these problems.....but.... it is definitely a phen thing and it is definitely the shortage of food intake, lack of possible fiber and water. When you change your eating habits drastically, your colon and digestive track get thrown off and aren't sure what to do, plus there's no nutrients and fiber enriched foods passed off into the colon for it to absorb the correct amount of moisture in order to pass a healthy, strained-free stool. I for one have had problems with constipiation for a long time, only worsened by phen and having children. I still have hemi's from my last child 9 months ago. I have to be very careful what I eat in a day- ensuring I eat enough, get some fruits and veggies in and drink atleast 60-90 ounces of water in a day.

So, some great suggestions have been listed above.

1. Miralax- it can be used daily, doesn't hurt your tummy or anything and helps improve and promote a healthy stool. I need to take it more religiously, I just forget.

2. Increase your water.

3. Phillips has a new pill out on the market that is also over the conter- I just picked up a coupon for it....something like "healthy colon" or something like that. I'm going to try that too.

4. Increase fiber- soluable and insoluables. Go onto google and search the difference, it's pretty easy to understand once you start buying the right foods.

5. DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT increase fiber overnight....do it SLOOOOOOWLY!!!!!
    Your body is freaking out because of the difference in food and difference in caloric intake, work your way up with the fiber, start with maybe the fiber one honey clusters in the morning, have a normal lunch and some veggies with your dinner. Just keep increasing the amount daily.....don't go from 11-15 grams of fiber to like 25 in two days- that will reak havoc on your stomach and colon.

6. A natural cure for hemi's is wheat germ oil. Alternate a very hot wash rag with wheat germ oil on it and hold on the hemi for 2-3 minutes, than rotate to super cold water and then back again and vice versa for 3-4 alternating times.

I've had a fissure and have yet another one, along with bad hemi's.....it's very painful and I know if it continues even after you are off of phen, there are surgical options that you can do to help alleviate constipation issues FOREVER. I'm almost to that point.

Sorry to have sent you a novel, but I sooooooo know what you're going through.

Take care-

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Constipation

I don't have a problem of constipation, but I can advise some remedies. Papaya is also good source of fiber. It contains papain, an enzyme that helps digest proteins. Concentrated amounts can especially be found in unripe papaya.It is advisable to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily.

Photos
    View albums

This has been a life long battle for me. I've learned how to get myself on track, but staying on track is another thing. Dieters Tea does not work for me, stool softeners do not work for me, senakot does not work for me.

One thing that works for me is a 5 mile walk. I can go as slow as I want. I can watch a movie on television while I walk on the treadmill. This will get me moving every time. It has to be 5 miles in one day and only after I've been bad about exercising. When I built up to 2-4 miles per day on a regular basis the walking doesn't help so much anymore.

Another thing that helps me is to eat at least one bowl of bite sized shreaded mini wheats every day. I know it's about the fiber but there is something about THAT fiber because I've consumed between 25-50 grams of fiber per day and stayed constipated many times.

Another thing that helps me is to sprinkle some cheese over my veggies and take an Alli pill before hand. Actually, I have to take 2 pills when I use Alli. My constipation problem is also one of mechanics since everything has fallen after 4 babies. It's all sort of twisted and squished LOL! So most people should only do one Alli pill. Alli is very safe because it never enters the bloodstream. It does all it's work in the colon.

I am only on day 3 today and already this has interupted things. I had managed to be regular for the last couple of months through combining these techniques. So I'm not too thrilled Phentermine will set me back.

I appreciate the other suggestions here. I haven't tried mirilax or Epsom salts. I'm not sure I'm willing on that one!

Suzi

Photos
    View albums

It's good see some things never change... ahh the constipation thread!

I would agree with everyone on this list. Especially Imabijou, read all the millions of threads on here about constipation this is a weekly question asked on this thread!

The two most important things when dieting! FIBER and WATER. Your body can really not get enough of either of these things, especially on phen! Doubly so if you're combining phen with anything like lexapro, or worse yet... antibiotics...

OK, so for water. My doc told me in the beginning drink a gallon of water a day. and when I do this religiously, the weight comes off best AND I'm not contipated!!! Minimum a day should be at least 2 liters. Start your day off with two glasses before you even do anything else. It fills you before you eat, and it gets on the right path.

As for fiber:
    Here are my favorite sources: A 1/2 cup of Kashi Go lean in the morning with Raspberries and fat free Yogurt. The Go Lean and the Raspberries have fiber so you get about 30% of your daily fiber in a yummy breakfast!

La Tortilla Factory whole wheat wraps - these wraps seriously have anywhere from 12 to 14 G of Fiber in one wrap. That's m
    ore fiber than most people get in a day!
    And they now have new Yummy ones that come in Rye and Pumpernickel! Better taste same fiber!

Edamame - low in carbs - high in fiber, and protein!

Black beans (try this with some low fat sour cream and cheese and some mexican seasoning) super yummy high in fiber, protein and low in carbs!

OK - so if you're still constipated after drinking a GALLON of WATER and making sure you get 100% of your fiber EVERY DAY (which this solves most people'sproblems right here...)

First step is to try a colace. This was recommended by my doc, and when my best friend had open heart surgery and was on enough pain meds to kill small farm animals the doctors strongly recommended it to him. It keeps the stool soft. This is my "first line of defense" these days.

Second step is Magnesium Citrate - this is the only thing I have found to be consistenly reliable while taking phen. You can buy it at any pharmacy it comes in a glass container is way easier to drink ice cold and costs about $2 for a bottle which is one serving. It's awful and gross tasting for the most part. It is horrible for people who retain water because it's super high in salt, but it WILL rotor root your colon.

Warning: do NOT... I repeat... do NOT do this more than once a week (and if you need to even do this once a week go back up to the water and fiber because you aint getting enough of it).

Laxatives, especially strong ones like magnesium citrate totally flush your colon. The problem with this is these laxatives are BRUTAL. They clean out the good and the bad, and our body NEEDS good bacteria to break down our food and help us go on a regular basis. When you use strong laxatives too much your body doesn't replenish the good bacteria and you start to rely on the laxatives. Both because your muscles get weak (as you don't have to make them push the chemicals do) and because you don't have enough good bacteria to keep the process moving smoothly...

I hope this helps!

T4G
    41 down 36 to go!

5/12/08 - 232.5 - Started Phen/lexapro combo
    5/29/08 - 218 -14.5 pounds in 2 weeks
    6/12/08 - 209.5 -8.5 for a total of 23 pounds in the first month!
    7/10/08 - 200 -9.5
    8/07/08 -192 -8
    9/18/08 - 185.5 -6.5
    12/8/08-191 +5.5

Photos
    View albums

Default Yucky Poo Poo (thats what my kids says when he doesnt like something lol)

I know this threads kinda old & im sure no one wants to see yet another topic of constipation...but i just had to say that i got some metamucil & omg! It is so disgusting going down. I almost just couldnt do it. Its Metamucil with Psyllium fiber, Orange flavor. It worked though! But sheesh. May have to try mixing it with something other than water. Anyone else cant stand it?
    12/14- 233
    12/31- 220 (-13) [Start of Challenge]
    1/7- 217.5 (-2.5)
    1/14 -213.5 (-4)
    1/21-209 (-4.5)
    1/28- 206 (-3)
    2/4- 201 (-5)
    2/11(FEB 14) GOAL- 205 (Met Vday Goal! 1/29)
    2/14-196.5 (-4.5)
    2/18-195.5 (-1)
    2/25- 189.5 (-6) {WOW!}
    3/4- 188.5 (-1)
    3/11- 185 (-3.5)
    3/18- 182 (-3) (Met St. Pattys Goal!)
    3/25- 177.5 (-4.5)
    4/1- 176 (-1.5)
    4/8-175 (-1)
    4/15-173 (-2)
    4/16-5/30 Off Phen =(
    6/3- Back on Phen yay! *180*
    6/10- 173 (-7)

Photos
    View albums

It took the last month for me to consume 3 pounds of prunes. That's around 8-12 daily! Still, I'm struggling with this. I refuse to do a harsh laxative. So I'm just working on the fiber and water. It's hard to stay consistent. Yesterday I ate 45 grams of fiber! I've already had 20 today in my first meal.

Suzi

Photos
    View albums

I drink Benefiber instead of Metamucil. The Benefiber is totally tasteless and dissolves completely. Even in a glass of plain water, you would never know it's there. You can take 2 teaspoons 3 times a day. So a good way to work up to it would be 2 teaspoons one day, 2 teaspoons 2X the next day, and 2 teaspoons 3X everyday after that. I have had pretty bad constipation issues with Phen, but the Benefiber has cleared all that up. Just a warning, don't start out with the 2 teaspoons 3X a day. It will seriously plant you on the toilet for the day. (Sorry)

albobaby

I love the constipation thread! LOL I have tried everything under the sun - Metamucil, Magnesum Citrate (blech - made me nauseus and dizzy), MOM, laxatives, etc. The only thing that has helped me and still helps is this dieter's tea called "3 Ballerina Tea". Not only does it have all the good stuff tea has but also senna which is a laxative but is so gentle on my stomach that I go normally again with no issues. It is caffeine free and I use it every other night. I have normal S shaped bowel movements again with no straining nothing. All of the other stuff was either making me sick to my stomach, giving me horrible diarrhea or just not working. I have been using the tea for over 2 months now to great effect. I buy it at an ethnic Russian food store near my house. Have never seen it at a regular supermarket.

Photos
    View albums

I am going to have to try benefiber then! I will look for the tea also but i doubt it'll be around here in good ole Kentucky. lol Thanks!
    12/14- 233
    1/7- 217.5 (-2.5)
    1/14 -213.5 (-4)
    1/21-209 (-4.5)
    1/28- 206 (-3)
    2/4- 201 (-5)
    2/14-196.5 (-4.5)
    2/18-195.5 (-1)
    2/25- 189.5 (-6) {WOW!}
    3/4- 188.5 (-1)
    3/11- 185 (-3.5)
    3/25- 177.5 (-4.5)
    4/1- 176 (-1.5)
    4/8-175 (-1)
    4/15-173 (-2)
    4/16-5/30 Off Phen =(
    6/10- 173 (-7)

BMcG

Default costipation

I have two great things that are perfectly nature.... Here goes organic apple cider vinegar(2 tsps) and 4 ozs of Aloe Vera drink. You will be just like clock work. Then also even more is an apple 30min. after eating.

Photos
    View albums

Yeah, this had been a real problem for me, too, so the Dr. said to take Correctol...UH..NO!!!! I do NOT recommend that! I took them a few times, and I would have to take two to get any results...however, it was a MOST painful experience. Would have terribly stomach cramps for hours. You can't leave the house either. BUT, then someone told me about Fiber One bars. I thought they sounded pretty nasty, but I tried them and they have some new flavors that are REALLY great. My 8 year old even likes them and he's picky. So I eat one of those a day, and so far it has helped tremendously...oh, and for some reason, if I drink coffee, that helps too...usually fairly quick!
    PrincessRed1017 likes this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

No one should have to walk this journey alone! I've been there, and now I'm here for your support and encouragement!
    IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN DO IT!!!

Me at 200 lbs! Biggest Ever!

Me at 137 lbs, April, 2009

Photos
    View albums

I love the FiberOne bars! and i drink coffee too..Only been doing the fiber bas for about a week and its helping, i think.

I completely forgot about the cider vinegar stuff, may try that...not all of this at once though. Man would that be miserable lol
    12/14- 233
    1/7- 217.5 (-2.5)
    1/14 -213.5 (-4)
    1/21-209 (-4.5)
    1/28- 206 (-3)
    2/4- 201 (-5)
    2/14-196.5 (-4.5)
    2/18-195.5 (-1)
    2/25- 189.5 (-6) {WOW!}
    3/4- 188.5 (-1)
    3/11- 185 (-3.5)
    3/25- 177.5 (-4.5)
    4/1- 176 (-1.5)
    4/8-175 (-1)
    4/15-173 (-2)
    4/16-5/30 Off Phen =(
    6/10- 173 (-7)

Photos
    View albums

Default What I'm doing

Miralax used to work for me BEFORE phen because I've always had issues.

Phen is really teaching me alot more than I thought. Not only do you eat less, you eventually figure out that you must change what you eat as well, lol.

Right now my diet consists of:

Kashi Go Lean Crunch w/Almonds - Has Omega 3s, almonds, high protein/fiber
    (I eat at least 1 cup a day dry - it is the best snack ever, it's 200 cals, but I split it
    up into 2 snacks and it's sooooo yummy)

Fiber One Bar - 2 different varieties (usually only eat when I'm craving sweets)

Found a new dry Chilli Mix in the soup isle called "Darn Good" Chilli and love, love,
    love it! You mix it with 7 cups of water and 1 can of tomato paste. It's only
    90 calories per cup! Best part is 7 g protein and 11g fiber per serving.
    I limit this one to 1 cup a day, because I like my friends

Adding these foods along with the extra fruits and veggies are starting to really make a difference. I also take a product w/ senna daily called "Colon Cleanz" that I got at walmart, but only take it once a day not twice.

"No matter how you think you look, there is somebody who would love to look like you. No matter how old you are, there is someone older who would love to be as young as you. Love yourself and love your life; it is the only one you have!" - Joyce Meyer

Misty W.

Bronze Phenster elizabethjbrown's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

has anyone tried the chewable tablets? i have a problem going. some days i do 2 or 3 times a day and then sometimes i go 2 or 3 days without a bowel movement.

Photos
    View albums

I drink Benefiber (the orange single serving packets are yummy) and I also put 2 spoonfulls in my morning protein drink. Eating a whole grapefruit (usually as an evening snack) gets things moving for me.
    Height:5'7"

Starting (again) Weight 214 Restarted phen Dec 9

"Its not a plan until you put it in writing"
    If you need fitness equip discounts PM me

Photos
    View albums

Milk of Magnesia!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast